Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

if you call your company a 'shop' you probably want daily standups. If you're an actual company, they're not necessary.

incredibly mid take imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The Fool posted:

incredibly mid take imo

you call it a shop dont you lol

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

rotor posted:

I think just assuming sprints happen isnt really that weird. Certainly every job I've had since ... what? 2005? has done some version of them.

it's weirder than just asking someone if we do them? the entire company is fewer than 30 people. same thing for the standups - i don't categorically dislike them, and i've found them valuable in the past. but why not do some cursory fieldwork to explore why they're not happening already? am i totally nuts here?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

post hole digger posted:

a daily 5pm check-in is insane though

it's 2pm for her time zone!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my point is that there are a bunch of companies out there that are more than large enough to house multiple "shops" in addition to multiple teams that wouldn't benefit at all from agile rituals

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

raminasi posted:

the entire company is fewer than 30 people.

the team i'm on supports the equivalent of about 10 teams the size of this entire company

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

some peoples ideas of "real companies" have no bearing on reality

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

raminasi posted:

it's weirder than just asking someone if we do them? the entire company is fewer than 30 people. same thing for the standups - i don't categorically dislike them, and i've found them valuable in the past. but why not do some cursory fieldwork to explore why they're not happening already? am i totally nuts here?

even if you did already have them, unilaterally moving them without consulting the team would still be a dick move

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I don’t care what anyone else is working on so stand ups feel like a waste of time, but I make the best of it by browsing the pos until I hear my name :c00l:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

raminasi posted:

im just sayin a non-engineer assuming engineering at the company they just started at does sprints is not an unreasonable assumption

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

if you call your company a 'shop' you probably want daily standups. If you're an actual company, they're not necessary.

i'd say that the larger the company is, the more it needs daily standups

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

our vpe used to insist that standups are to help the team understand what's going on, and definitely aren't actually a daily status report primarily for his consumption. same motherfucker would also cancel standups when he's on vacation or couldn't attend, instead asking that we do them async via chat (where he would put a thumbs up reaction to indicate he saw it)

we finally ditched that in favor of purely async chat based standups.

the latest wtf is that we now have two weekly planning meetings. last thing every friday we have a two hour planning meeting to review what was completed, then plan/assign tasks for the following week. we then follow that up with a meeting first thing monday morning where we plan/assign tasks for the rest of the week...

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
the idea of syncing with the people you work with on a regular basis is normal and how humans make anything that's not just a countable factory line

the fact that it turned into a whole industry of program managers/scrum masters/delivery leads who are somehow even less useful than product managers is the real sickness

recently they forced us to move all our "ceremonies" to a single day so we just have a day with 6 hours of meetings

but of course sometimes that's not enough and we need additional "refinements" because it often takes more time to point a ticket than to actually do the ticket

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

MeruFM posted:

recently they forced us to move all our "ceremonies" to a single day so we just have a day with 6 hours of meetings

but of course sometimes that's not enough and we need additional "refinements" because it often takes more time to point a ticket than to actually do the ticket

bro i think you’re in a cult

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
the cult of kpi and okr

I recently removed myself from the lead eng position and now I'm just a scrub IC

but it's pretty nice to finish the expected amount of weekly work and just say "working on [already done work]" for the next 6 workdays

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

"our product decisions are totally disorganised and our 30 person company is like herding cats"

"no I absolutely will not join a meeting about what we are working on"

:thunk:

I get the dislike of a 5pm daily though, god knows I've done enough "the daily lasted 30 mins+" but that was for a tiny team that needed huge direction so it wasn't a standup it was actually the daily design/clarification call and was named as such

anyway I will put money that what has been put in as a standup is actually a larger status and planning check but is being called that because that way you are ~~agile~~. ditto for calling every general work/release cycle a sprint.

e: also just suggest a different meeting time???

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

"our product decisions are totally disorganised and our 30 person company is like herding cats"

"no I absolutely will not join a meeting about what we are working on"
another potential interpretation:

what op possibly hoped for: product guidance and leadership to give a more unified direction to take the product in.

what op feels they got: project management to be more organized in the direction-less product efforts

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
ed zitron wrote an article for business insider in which he recommends firing CEOs and replacing them with chatGPT. the CEOs on linkedin have some thoughts

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

A 5pm catch up meeting is dumb because one of the main benefits of it is being able to spot when someone is struggling with something and help them out after the meeting. People forget poo poo day to day and I'd rather you forgot some of the stuff you worked on yesterday than forget to help the junior dev who is clearly falling down a rabbit hole.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

checking in daily just to say what youre up to or whatever seems completely reasonable to me especially to say “dont bother me besides this thanks”

it should not take more than 15 minutes though, and it can be done in chats rather than all hands meetings that cant possibly fit in 15 minutes

i think distaste for it comes from the latter

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

and usually teams… act as teams? like ive had checkins where someone started writing something that existed but didnt know until a teammate chimed in

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Share Bear posted:

checking in daily just to say what youre up to or whatever seems completely reasonable to me especially to say “dont bother me besides this thanks”

it should not take more than 15 minutes though, and it can be done in chats rather than all hands meetings that cant possibly fit in 15 minutes

i think distaste for it comes from the latter

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
remember the whole reason it's called a "standup" is that everyone's supposed to be standing up during it, so that everyone's motivated to get it over with quickly so they can go back to sitting down

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

armpit_enjoyer posted:

ed zitron wrote an article for business insider in which he recommends firing CEOs and replacing them with chatGPT. the CEOs on linkedin have some thoughts

the penetration tester asking chatgtp for life and career advice has definitely jacked off to being penetrated by chatgtp

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's funny the number of people that worship at least the idea of the ceo, if not also specific ceos

go join a cult or something, you loving weirdos

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i love the clear confusion between "i ask it things and it specifically refuses to decide for me because it has been programmed to behave that way" and "it is literally incapable of making decisions" too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
this falls squarely into "has no idea what GPT actually is or how it works"

e: to be clear, i'm not saying we shouldn't just put an electronic i ching in charge of say, meta, and see what happens. i think the results would be more interesting and creatively valid than the vast majority GPT output

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 12, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's reminiscent of people rejecting materialism or insisting that consciousness due to magical quantum stuff or something, except just for ceos, so I guess the the world is divided into "CEOs" and "NPCs"?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

npcs are just temporarily embarrassed ceos

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

minor point, but i find it very amusing that all of the interminable self-assigned titles of these dipshits are ellipsized, as if the website itself is exasperatedly telling them to shut up

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yinz are missing that product managers absolutely should not be checking in with teams on a day to day basis. that implies they're making implementation decisions which they VERY much should not be doing

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

MononcQc posted:

another potential interpretation:

what op possibly hoped for: product guidance and leadership to give a more unified direction to take the product in.

what op feels they got: project management to be more organized in the direction-less product efforts

it’s this, thank you

the reason we don’t do standups is that me and j random engineer are typically not working on anything related. this is the thing i don’t like, but making me and j random engineer tell each other daily about the unrelated things we’re doing is not an improvement.

and maybe it’s part of a bigger solution? well, i believe very strongly that you can’t fix a process without understanding it, and i’ve seen no evidence that she’s tried to do that.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yinz are missing that product managers absolutely should not be checking in with teams on a day to day basis. that implies they're making implementation decisions which they VERY much should not be doing

i actually don’t mind them in a well-run standup, because in a well-run standup the only response you ever hear to anything is “oh, i can help you with that” and there are things pms are very helpful for

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

raminasi posted:

it’s this, thank you

the reason we don’t do standups is that me and j random engineer are typically not working on anything related. this is the thing i don’t like, but making me and j random engineer tell each other daily about the unrelated things we’re doing is not an improvement.

and maybe it’s part of a bigger solution? well, i believe very strongly that you can’t fix a process without understanding it, and i’ve seen no evidence that she’s tried to do that.

good faith q: why are you on the same team functionally

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hey fart simpson i got a question for ya: i've been thinking about how new categories of consumer electronics start out very inventive and experimental but then just kinda settling in to all being slight variations on one standard market-leading thing and becoming kinda boring, like for example smartphones before the iphone all being weird and different vs. a few years after it came out all kinda standardizing into "glass rectangle". have you ever seen that happen like, from the inside? is it a slow process or does the boss just come in one day and go "okay everyone stop all the R&D and design efforts, this other company's thing is selling real big and we're just gonna rip it off now, also half of you are redundant and fired"?

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Jabor posted:

remember the whole reason it's called a "standup" is that everyone's supposed to be standing up during it, so that everyone's motivated to get it over with quickly so they can go back to sitting down

I do love the casual ablism of this idea and how it feeds into a the classic SV startup culture of just hiring fit young dudes. The severity of the motivation to sit down again varies widely, as does the distraction of trying to keep the work in mind while also continuing to stand-- and that's for the people who can manage to do it for the alloted period at all.

Physically standing together is not a job requirement for these roles unless artificially made so, and that's exclusionary.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

MeruFM posted:

the cult of kpi and okr
the okr-ino of time

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Share Bear posted:

good faith q: why are you on the same team functionally

we just all work on the same part of the product's tech stack and therefore report to the same manager. we're not really a "team" in any other sense.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

post hole digger posted:

npcs are just temporarily embarrassed ceos

I was a CEO once, until they gave my job to chatgpt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Shame Boy posted:

hey fart simpson i got a question for ya: i've been thinking about how new categories of consumer electronics start out very inventive and experimental but then just kinda settling in to all being slight variations on one standard market-leading thing and becoming kinda boring, like for example smartphones before the iphone all being weird and different vs. a few years after it came out all kinda standardizing into "glass rectangle". have you ever seen that happen like, from the inside? is it a slow process or does the boss just come in one day and go "okay everyone stop all the R&D and design efforts, this other company's thing is selling real big and we're just gonna rip it off now, also half of you are redundant and fired"?

what sells must be good so lets make something like that