Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

TorakFade posted:

A heads up for everyone, at least in my country the Galaxy Explorer went into the "last chance to buy" section of the Lego website. Since that appears to be an online-store-exclusive set only (can only find a couple listings for higher than MSRP on ebay, nothing in "real stores"), I've grabbed one before it goes out of stock and then I'd have to pay 50% more.

I don't even know where I'll put it, but :fomo:

Pricing is weird sometimes. This set was going for 75% off at times during the holidays, I had assumed Lego massively overproduced them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A bunch of that was Walmart I think. If poo poo doesn't fly off the shelves they get spooked and try to unload it fast so they can clear the shelves for something else.

Probably has a panic effect on other store too.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Galaxy Explorer is a solid pickup at cost and a steal at discount.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Galaxy Explorer is a solid pickup at cost and a steal at discount.

Yeah, the $25 buy was a second copy of the set that I have no room for and is sitting in the box … no ragrets.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I don't think I've seen any discount on the Galaxy Explorer in the UK since I got (back) into Lego this year.

Ordered the Blacksmith yesterday with some some weekend poker winnings and was going to pick the Galaxy Explorer up around Xmas, but welp, that's two orders in the warehouse now.....

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Pricing is weird sometimes. This set was going for 75% off at times during the holidays, I had assumed Lego massively overproduced them.

woah a 25$/€ galexp? I'd have bought 4 honestly. Looks to be one of those sets you'll regret not getting once they're out of production, kinda like Barracuda Bay. Great price, great design (Mike Psiaki owns), nice build, nice display, nice playability. It just has it all!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
75% off just about any lego set would turn me into a scalper overnight.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Junkenstein posted:

I don't think I've seen any discount on the Galaxy Explorer in the UK since I got (back) into Lego this year.
Australia never got the crazy discounts that America got for it either (though we did get some).

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1701586606745092177

It's a lot bigger than I expected.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cooked Auto posted:

It's a lot bigger than I expected.

It needed to be bigger than the concorde

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Tarquinn posted:

Somebody finally confirm (or deny) the UCS Tie Intercepter rumors. I have been waiting for that set for a decade and this is killing me.

:negative:

I have the original UCS TiE-In from years and years ago, but what'd really sell a second one to me is if it were a Royal Guard one in red.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I rarely see any sales in the UK for popular lego kits, I'm tempted by the galaxy explorer but I just don't have the nostalgia for that era (just before my time) or space to display it. Hoping the Bugle goes on some sort of sale :(

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

When I was a kid, I inherited the original Galaxy Explorer from my brother. I'd love the updated version but I can't justify the cost.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I like the fact that it isn’t just a solid color. The red stripes really help it a lot. Makes me want it a bit more than the ISD that I never got around to buying. This I might have to find a way to make things happen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Accounting for inflation the new galaxy explorer is cheaper than the original was new.

But the original came with those awesome baseplates so it's a wash.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Orvin posted:

I like the fact that it isn’t just a solid color. The red stripes really help it a lot. Makes me want it a bit more than the ISD that I never got around to buying. This I might have to find a way to make things happen.

My exact feeling. I love Star Wars but I’ve yet to get any of the truly big ones since they’re just monstrously big grey blobs. This one is popping though!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

BigglesSWE posted:

My exact feeling. I love Star Wars but I’ve yet to get any of the truly big ones since they’re just monstrously big grey blobs. This one is popping though!

I’ve mostly avoided them but the interior of the Razor Crest (and receiving it as a present) sold me on it.

It is a hideous great grey glob though.

The starfighter size ones are for me right at the line of what makes sense, size and price wise.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I did get the A-Wing for my birthday a few years back, and that’s pretty cool to be sure. Once again: not one single colour!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The price hike is an insult though. I want the AT-AT and Falcon but good lord £1500 for the two of them.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

My PAB order got here last night, and it was awesome to see a display of actual, honest-to-God diverse skin tones staring back at me.

It's wild that it's been exactly 20 years since Lego decided to dip their toes into diversifying skintones. Thank you, table soccer set, for bombing so badly that now you can get diverse minifig heads on PAB without much hassle, you're the real MVP.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I got mine last week. This dude is my favorite. Very expressive.

Also that seems to be a relatively new color, Medium Brown, according to bricklink. Introduced in 2022, and has only been used for minifigs and minidolls so far.

Edit: Medium Tan was also introduced in 2022. It has mostly been used for figs and dolls, but there are some tiles and plates too.

deoju fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 12, 2023

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

When I was a kid, I inherited the original Galaxy Explorer from my brother. I'd love the updated version but I can't justify the cost.

I felt the same, looked awesome but couldn't bring myself to drop the cash on it. So I brought Eldorado, Lion Knights Castle, and the lighthouse instead....

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BigglesSWE posted:

On a scale that big you can really still see the details from across the room. Neither the ISD or Falcon look blobbish at all. I think the ISD is one of the nicest looking sets I've ever owned. The only SW set I've always thought looked like a blob is the UCS Sandcrawler. Or really all that dark brown stuff from ROTJ. All dark brown really just does not look good on the shelf.

But yeah, having some color is nice. You do end up with so many all gray sets if you collect SW. Venator looks really nice and I like that the price point is a little lower than some of the other recent stuff. I don't care about the prequels at all though so there's really no appeal there for me. Which is fine I don't need to buy a $650 lego set right now lol

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 12, 2023

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

deoju posted:

I got mine last week. This dude is my favorite. Very expressive.

Also that seems to be a relatively new color, Medium Brown, according to bricklink. Introduced in 2022, and has only been used for minifigs and minidolls so far.

Edit: Medium Tan was also introduced in 2022. It has mostly been used for figs and dolls, but there are some tiles and plates too.

I love both the new colors. Medium Brown especially, since the classic Reddish Brown is so hard to see details on in some lighting conditions. I don't know what the solution is for it, but their black printing on the darker reddish brown is maddening when they don't do the white highlights.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The set where the monotone bricks really detract from the whole is the Colosseum. I understand *why* they did what they did, because going with a "realistic/aged" motif would've made the set phenomenally expensive, but it makes a "colossal" set very boring-looking.

And speaking of "colossal" sets (or in this case a MOC) that are also really repetitive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot_dNmDXhVw

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 13, 2023

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

PriorMarcus posted:

The Lego leaking community is usually pretty spot on with any rumor that gains speed from multiple sources so I'd say the Tie Interceptor is a lock.
Thanks, hope you are right! :tipshat:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I have the original UCS TiE-In from years and years ago, but what'd really sell a second one to me is if it were a Royal Guard one in red.
That would be kicking rad, but probably too niche. Have they done any expanded universe UCS set in the past? I reckon a Tie Defender would be more likely, as it showed up in rebel.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And speaking of "colossal" sets (or in this case a MOC) that are also really repetitive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot_dNmDXhVw

Heh, the store in that video is ten minutes from where I work. Didn’t bother to visit it for that boring MOC. :effort:

Still, kudos for building it.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
The "Lego wall" (brick facade that opens up to a static non-interactive scene) is one of the worst new money trends of the last few years. I have yet to see a creative one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dokapon Findom posted:

The "Lego wall" (brick facade that opens up to a static non-interactive scene) is one of the worst new money trends of the last few years. I have yet to see a creative one.

Are people still doing that? I assume you mean when people install a Lego scene inside their house wall.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Cojawfee posted:

Are people still doing that? I assume you mean when people install a Lego scene inside their house wall.

That is correct. It is indeed played out but I'm triggered every time I'm reminded they exist. It's so tacky and is really more of a flex for a Lego dilettante with more money than creativity

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I cannot imagine having strong feelings about something like that.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Yeah I'm absolutely expending my limited feelings budget on that

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Not to interrupt cringe posting, but there are some fresh leaks and information:

The Disney 100 Years Celebration GWP that sold out nearly instantaneously is coming back Sept 23rd-30th.
A Steamboat Willie GWP should be available mid-October

A hint at the next Modular. 4014 pcs, $300. There's also potential for a 2nd Modular too, considering 3 are retiring this year.

A new art set featuring two parrots.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

BaconCopter posted:

A hint at the next Modular. 4014 pcs, $300. There's also potential for a 2nd Modular too, considering 3 are retiring this year.

4000 pieces would put it about the same size as Assembly Square. Or there's a ton of small fiddly bits.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

BaconCopter posted:

If they do release a 2nd, I hope it’s a rerelease of one of the early, and now prohibitively expensive, modulars. There have been hints about doing it for years, and doing it as a secondary release would help avoid people complaining about not getting a new model.

People will still complain for other reasons, of course. But mostly I’m just dreaming of buying the cafe corner, green grocer, and fire brigade for reasonable prices.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Very disappointed with my WickedBricks display case. Waiting to see if customer service will take me up on my off of a full refund and we split the shipping cost if I provide proof that I destroyed it beyond usability. At this point I might just do that anyway.

Without bogging the thread down with specifics (unless you really want them), the instructions that came with the set weren't the correct instructions, I received 6 back/front plate pieces when I only need 2. It's this one

So I paid for shipping on 4 large pieces of plex that I don't need and in fact NONE of the 6 back/front pieces are the correct back piece for this display. They did send me an electronic copy of the correct instructions for whatever good that did. Oh, and trying to put this together with the wrong parts and instructions has caused some scratches on the side plex pieces. If you factor in the three months to get here, man did I make another bad decision.

edit: and Studio crashed on me today after significant hours of work and progress were made on my stupid sub. This hobby was supposed to be relaxing

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Flyinglemur posted:

Very disappointed with my WickedBricks display case.

If they sent you the wrong parts and won't make it right, you can always do a charge back on your credit card. They're probably going to ban your credit card and address from ever shopping with them again.

I posted a link to some shop that had items which looked *really* close to Wicked Brick. The brackets for the larger cases look the same, some of the pictures look like they have the etched Wicked Brick logo on them. Another goon said it wasn't the same, but at a glance they look *really* close, just without some of the fancier etched custom plaques.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
My wicked bricks cases were all correct but the instructions were more like guess work and they don't really explain what case goes with what and which ones stack how

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I'd be a psycho and turn them all facing their cars like it's a lemans start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

obi_ant posted:

If they sent you the wrong parts and won't make it right, you can always do a charge back on your credit card. They're probably going to ban your credit card and address from ever shopping with them again.

I posted a link to some shop that had items which looked *really* close to Wicked Brick. The brackets for the larger cases look the same, some of the pictures look like they have the etched Wicked Brick logo on them. Another goon said it wasn't the same, but at a glance they look *really* close, just without some of the fancier etched custom plaques.

Hell yeah, it was me, and I've had the tab open since that day. They look SUPER close to Wicked Brick at a fraction of the cost; I'm thinking that they found a way to reverse engineer making them (since it wouldn't be terribly different), and the only real giveaway is that the studs on the bottom for displays are placed in slightly different places. I'm debating ordering a couple of the small single minifig cases just to see how the quality is, because if it's equal, I have NO problems not loving with Wicked Brick any more.