Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

As I've said, I think Disney buys the Smackdown rights and moves it back to cable. FX in particular. They'll likely try to tie it to Peacock's rights to WWE Network ending in 2026 in order to have everything under FX/ESPN+ by then.

I have no source to back this up so I am likely nowhere near correct. I'm more concerned what TKO does regarding WWE's deal with Fanatics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021

Island Nation posted:

As I've said, I think Disney buys the Smackdown rights and moves it back to cable. FX in particular. They'll likely try to tie it to Peacock's rights to WWE Network ending in 2026 in order to have everything under FX/ESPN+ by then.

this but hulu, which disney will own outright in 2026

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

I would really like to see WWE PLEs priced like UFC papes.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
Hold up, I thought Disney owned Fox.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

maruhkati posted:

They don't own the broadcast network because no company can own more than one and Disney already owns/owned ABC.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

maruhkati posted:

they bought all the stuff that wasn't the TV station itself, Fox Sports, Fox News, and Fox Business. so basically the movie and television studios and all associated IP, FX, and a chunk of Hulu.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Island Nation posted:

I have no source to back this up so I am likely nowhere near correct. I'm more concerned what TKO does regarding WWE's deal with Fanatics.

I think disney is more likely to sell off stuff they own right now than buy rights to more stuff

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
^ Depends on how lucative UFC is to Disney, WWE does have a section on ESPN.com ^

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I would really like to see WWE PLEs priced like UFC papes.

So does TKO thus ESPN+ instead of Hulu. Can't be touched until Mania 42 in the US

Since they're part of the new calculus, UFC has their rights end in 2025 and since Vince didn't get the TV deal done in time, TKO has a relative quick turnaround for all three. Might as well try and unify everything if anyone is willing.

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 12, 2023

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Hulu was originally a joint venture between Fox, Disney, and NBC Universal. Disney buying Fox basically gave them a majority stake and NBC has been letting contracts expire so they can move more of their shows and movies over to Peacock. It won't be long before Disney purchases the rest and uses it to stream all the R and MA rated stuff that they won't dare put on Disney+, at least in the US.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

maruhkati posted:

JUNGLE BOY posted:

FX, short for Fox Extended, is owned by Disney. Not to be confused with FS1, short for Fox Sports 1, is owned by Fox. Fox is not owned by Disney. Also don’t confuse FS1 with FSI, short for Fox Sports International, which is owned by Disney.

Got it?

its quite simple really.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

WWE is turning into what the hardcore fans want it to be - just pure content to be consumed, integrated with other IPs, and discussed purely in terms of financials, viewership, and streaming numbers.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1701596789873455396

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Tommy Dreamer challenged Roman Reigns to come wrestle him for the Impact Digital Title.

What do they know that we don't?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

lmao

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

A Fancy Hat posted:

WWE is turning into what Vince wants it to be - just pure content to be consumed, integrated with other IPs, and discussed purely in terms of financials, viewership, and streaming numbers.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1701633540083925155?t=7vQ6wesAu92IlWB1jmlt6A&s=19

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1701639261848469917?s=20

Bodes well if this is their mentality.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Remember how a gigantic sexual misconduct story came out about Vince like a year ago that caused him to resign?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Remember how a gigantic sexual misconduct story came out about Vince like a year ago that caused him to resign?

Yeah but the Bloodline!!! THE BLOODLINE!!!!!!

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Conrad_Birdie posted:

he's just back to sell the company
of course he's at the shows he's the head of the company, won't be a regular thing
of course he's going to have some light input if he thinks it will make the show better, hhh is still the head of creative
he's regularly changing the show but at least he's working remotely, so it shouldn't be an issue
he's backstage a lot but there haven't been any new incidents reported

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

https://x.com/Fightful/status/1701646250515521990?s=20

seems like a great way to ensure the worst loving people imaginable get to gain immediate entry to WWE

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
excited to see Jonny bones jones poke roman in the eye

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

RealityWarCriminal posted:

excited to see Jonny bones jones poke roman in the eye

Sounds like a big man, are you tall enough to see Jonny bones jones poke roman in the eye?

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

Mrs. Dash posted:

I think disney is more likely to sell off stuff they own right now than buy rights to more stuff

Maybe in exchange for acquiring TKO they can sell Star Wars

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

DLC Inc posted:

https://x.com/Fightful/status/1701646250515521990?s=20

seems like a great way to ensure the worst loving people imaginable get to gain immediate entry to WWE

I dunno, I think it'd be hilarious to watch WWE try to do Inokism.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vince increasingly looks like he's fled to South America to avoid trial, but forgot to do the actual fleeing.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

He looks like he is about to ask the Courier to eliminate the Brotherhood of Steel.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

mooseinfants posted:

I know they managed to recoup the money buying LucasArts but how much is their IP now? Dial of Destiny bombed and I'm not sure how eager people want to see a Star Wars movie. Disclaimer: I have not seen nor am I interested in the Disney+ shows

Anyway, it's not about buying TKO, just tying up WWE TV rights, UFC rights and WWE Network rights into a single entity. I assume Comcast wants in for Raw but I think TKO wants all or nothing.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Every UFC fan I know loving hates wrestling so this merger should be good for some laughs.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
they should do wrestling matches in UFC shows (and vice versa)

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Finally, a return of the sport of Brawl for All

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Germansimp posted:

He looks like he is about to ask the Courier to eliminate the Brotherhood of Steel.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Kennel posted:

they did in 1978 with hogan in japan, brother

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 12, 2023

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

mooseinfants posted:

Man, now I really wanna see what Vince would do with the Star Wars IP. Or even just his befuddled face when someone tries to explain the canon to him.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Vince increasingly looks like he's fled to South America to avoid trial, but forgot to do the actual fleeing.

Nick is looking a lot like Shane

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

Grendels Dad posted:

Man, now I really wanna see what Vince would do with the Star Wars IP. Or even just his befuddled face when someone tries to explain the canon to him.

He'd be a big fan of Palps no-selling the Death Star explosion I bet

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Island Nation posted:

I know they managed to recoup the money buying LucasArts but how much is their IP now? Dial of Destiny bombed and I'm not sure how eager people want to see a Star Wars movie. Disclaimer: I have not seen nor am I interested in the Disney+ shows

Anyway, it's not about buying TKO, just tying up WWE TV rights, UFC rights and WWE Network rights into a single entity. I assume Comcast wants in for Raw but I think TKO wants all or nothing.

Star Wars money is and always has been in licensing, and they are doing just fine with that.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Kennel posted:

i would love to see the Rolling Loud style reactions of "what the gently caress is this, no one asked for this" to la knight vs angelo dawkins or whatever they would throw on a ufc prelim card

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I miss the old WWE Network, so much content and organized well, all it needed was a playlist feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://twitter.com/marcraimondi/status/1701688065499296086

its happening