Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Space Joe Biden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
in space, HR can’t hear you scream

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Moved on to NG+ in Starfield, and I'm still wondering why marketing went with saying, "Starfield is a setting where we want you to feel hope for the future." The writers clearly know and telegraph that its a pretty depressing setting, but who on Earth tried to spin this post-war hellscape as a "hopeful" place?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Whirling posted:

Moved on to NG+ in Starfield, and I'm still wondering why marketing went with saying, "Starfield is a setting where we want you to feel hope for the future." The writers clearly know and telegraph that its a pretty depressing setting, but who on Earth tried to spin this post-war hellscape as a "hopeful" place?

Hope Sells

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Whirling posted:

It's because it's saying there is a future at all. Todd in all his wisdom is just ahead of other developers on this and has his fingers on the pulse of the next generation of gamers

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ben Nerevarine posted:

setting up outposts in Starfield is a fiddly pain in the rear end (woe be upon anyone who must have their buildings flush and at exact right angles) but the amount of raw materials you produce is wild

is there any way to reasonably sell all the poo poo your make or is it locked to loading up the cargo hold and going to whatever vendor has a pathetic amount of credits to sell to

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

is there any way to reasonably sell all the poo poo your make or is it locked to loading up the cargo hold and going to whatever vendor has a pathetic amount of credits to sell to

you’re stuck selling to vendors with 11k max credits each every 48 hours. Neon has 4 or so vendors in close proximity to one another

you don’t have to bother with your cargo hold. you can carry as much as you want. running out of O2/maxing CO2 will hurt you down to 10% or so of your hp but doesn’t kill you. there’s also a space power to refill your O2 to max

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Whirling posted:

because only obsidian can make le bleak sci fi stories.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Whirling posted:

earth was destroyed (by the billionaires), but the billionaires managed to escape. perfect silicon valley future

i mean, we dont believe earth managed to evacuate eight billion people on first gen interstellar spaceships, right

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

https://twitter.com/kurtruslfanclub/status/1701621432894267593

https://twitter.com/JohnDraisey/status/1701620078419251255

https://twitter.com/tha_rami/status/1701622034537603188

https://twitter.com/KenneyNL/status/1701582491805495596

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
well what engine should i learn then

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

UE4 / UE5, it has Problems but one of them isnt "the engine licensers seem to detest you using their product"

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Unity ceo deciding its time to pump dump and bail huh

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

RPGMaker

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Tankbuster posted:

because only obsidian can make le bleak sci fi stories.

What on Earth on are you going on about, I'm talking about a clear mismatch between what the writers intended and what marketing is trying to sell and you're bringing up Obsidian out of nowhere?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

UE4 / UE5, it has Problems but one of them isnt "the engine licensers seem to detest you using their product"

makes sense, they are the creators of Fortnite the communist game. sold.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

it owns

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/unity-software-incs-president-ceo-050515124.html?guccounter=2

really big jackets
Sep 11, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

v8

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lmfao jesus christ

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Whirling posted:

What on Earth on are you going on about, I'm talking about a clear mismatch between what the writers intended and what marketing is trying to sell and you're bringing up Obsidian out of nowhere?

because I am dumb.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/KrisWolfheart/status/1701634419092607039

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Woah hell yeah. This guy got the bag, respect

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Dr Pepper posted:

Unity ceo deciding its time to pump dump and bail huh

hahahahahahahahaha

isnt unity also owned by The Cops at this point

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
it's the next stage of the Roblox exploitation grift. not only do you take the products of their labor, you charge them for the privilege of letting other people see your game!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

gamebryo

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

unreal is so much better than unity its not even funny its just that they grt to take a whole third of your profits if youre a small indy studio. that said if youre just a dabbler the whole like, series of tubes version of scripting is pretty fun to play with, its essentially a zachtronics game desguised as an engine.

i used unreal to make a floating, screaming orb and im satisfied

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the hard part in dabbling in 3d game design isnt the engine, its making all the assets for it. unreal still has like, a way to carve out rooms but its really expecting you to pull in 3d models and working with blender makes my blood boil

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Red Baron posted:

pretty sure when in space you can get out of the pilot seat and leave the ship to EVA, or maybe you need to tcl but you just do the standard zero g six degrees of movement thing.

not sure there’s any point really

you can get up but you cant leave the ship without console commands and obviously theres nothing to do out there

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Tankbuster posted:

because I am dumb.

that's ok, I'm also dumb

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Al! posted:

gamebryo

if its good enough for sid meier its good enough for me.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

if its good enough for sid meier its good enough for me.

they should have just stopped after 4

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Don't see how you could possibly, as Unity, legally change the terms after the fact when people already made their game and have no way to get users to uninstall it other than to patch a notice in the game that says PLEASE UNINSTALL THIS!! MY FAMILY IS STARVING!!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Al! posted:

the hard part in dabbling in 3d game design isnt the engine, its making all the assets for it. unreal still has like, a way to carve out rooms but its really expecting you to pull in 3d models and working with blender makes my blood boil

i made a custom animation where a dolphin curled up into a ball and grabbed his tail in his mouth so he could roll around like sonic the hedgehog

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Stefan Prodan posted:

Don't see how you could possibly, as Unity, legally change the terms after the fact when people already made their game and have no way to get users to uninstall it other than to patch a notice in the game that says PLEASE UNINSTALL THIS!! MY FAMILY IS STARVING!!

:capitalism: and all that but it definitely feels like the sort of thing that would violate some laws somewhere

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i want to take all my sickass CAD skills and start making very realistic pipe chases in unreal that are hidden behind walls and never visible to the player

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Hatebag posted:

i want to take all my sickass CAD skills and start making very realistic pipe chases in unreal that are hidden behind walls and never visible to the player

congrats you now work on star citizen

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

making the game crash simulating a pressure surge completely out of view. the player hears a faint knocking and then crashes to desktop

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This worker has loaded up on Relief Plus

Whirling posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek3I6_9c58E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

There is never a single moment in the game that has this tone lol