Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
more like P.U.nity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

how does unity know it's being installed

is it reporting back to some central server?

If I have my wifi off and install a unity game and then turn the wifi back on how would they know

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

how does unity know it's being installed

is it reporting back to some central server?

If I have my wifi off and install a unity game and then turn the wifi back on how would they know

https://blog.unity.com/news/plan-pricing-and-packaging-updates

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

that uses downloading and installing interchangeably in a way that doesn't really make sense to me

I'm just confused as hell as to where the reporting is happening
is it when I click "download" on steam (which is fine... I guess? Why would the stores report this... and who is going to handle reporting that? Is each store going to have to expose that data to unity?)
or when the game installer actually initializes on my machine, is it firing off a message to unity that I've installed the game (not cool, I didn't agree to that, unity, you fucker)
or is it when I first open the game the unity player fires off a message and then stores some garbage data on my machine that it did an install check and doesn't have to do it again, littering my local filesystem with their trash

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

gonna lol if a pirated Unity game still reports the install to Unity and thus the dev has to pay for it

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

it will

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

christ what if I just move the install location to a different drive or folder
depending on how they're tracking it, that'd be enough to trigger a re-charge

and if it's not tracked locally that means it has to be sending some sort of machine/identity info to stop it from triggering the charge over and over so it's definitely something install side that says "don't flag this again" which means you can just clear that over and over and retrigger it on every boot

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like this new Unity fee scheme is inherently incompatible with the concept of free/freemium games.

my bony fealty posted:

This and that terrible dragon song are the complete opposite of what the game is like

its a horrible hostile world where everyone is violent and the only thing you can do on any planet is kill people, kill animals, and extract resources

Wrong. It is about hope and the spirit of exploration. When I play the game "Starfield" I am constantly smiling, joy in my eyes as I explore my surroundings like a newborn infant.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

that uses downloading and installing interchangeably in a way that doesn't really make sense to me

I'm just confused as hell as to where the reporting is happening
is it when I click "download" on steam (which is fine... I guess? Why would the stores report this... and who is going to handle reporting that? Is each store going to have to expose that data to unity?)
or when the game installer actually initializes on my machine, is it firing off a message to unity that I've installed the game (not cool, I didn't agree to that, unity, you fucker)
or is it when I first open the game the unity player fires off a message and then stores some garbage data on my machine that it did an install check and doesn't have to do it again, littering my local filesystem with their trash

https://unity.com/pricing-updates

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
lmfao, literally ten minutes ago i'd have pointed out that Unity is an amazing asset to gaming and has been behind so many awesome trends

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

smarxist posted:

lmfao, literally ten minutes ago i'd have pointed out that Unity is an amazing asset to gaming and has been behind so many awesome trends

they started shooting themselves in the foot with their dumbass NFT thing and since that hasn't gone over well I guess they're going for the full headshot

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i don't know anything about making video games but it was really funny that disco elysium seemed to be one of the most computationally intensive games of 2019 based on my computer's fan speed. that unity logo comes up and it's like a jet is taking off

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

jesus christ

if you're an indie studio that already made the bulk of your money and reinvested it into your next game, Unity will bankrupt you instead

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hatebag posted:

that's pretty much the rich guy plan right now. a bunch of pedophiles who want to live forever imagining they'll get to escape the destruction of the earth and become cybergods in space

Basically the one saving grace about this stuff is that rich people don't really have any understanding of science/technology and what's reasonably possible, so they'll just keep wasting money on stuff indefinitely and will never actually be able to do things like flee the Earth into space.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

jesus christ

if you're an indie studio that already made the bulk of your money and reinvested it into your next game, Unity will bankrupt you instead

seems bad

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I mean based on the stock sell-off and how loving bad this seems I can only assume the guy in charge of Unity is involved in a Hudsucker Proxy type scam where he needs to drive the value down

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Fried Watermelon posted:

Pretty sure the Starfield universe is a simulation

no its a world where elon musklings destroy the world.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I mean based on the stock sell-off and how loving bad this seems I can only assume the guy in charge of Unity is involved in a Hudsucker Proxy type scam where he needs to drive the value down

yeah

I wouldn't be surprised to see them walk back almost all of this, while that guy walks away with sacks of cash

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

al!'s right tho. in starfield you have to believe the Hillary and Obama dynasties made it off Earth successfully

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lpzie posted:

al!'s right tho. in starfield you have to believe the Hillary and Obama dynasties made it off Earth successfully

mod so the emissary is obama and the hunter is hillary

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

How far back does the Unity thing go, would reinstalling Pillars of Eternity 1 or 2 trigger it?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

mod so the emissary is obama and the hunter is hillary

the Secretary and the Hopester

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

evilmiera posted:

How far back does the Unity thing go, would reinstalling Pillars of Eternity 1 or 2 trigger it?

Deliberately drive companies out of business by just repeatedly downloading and uninstalling games.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

hahahahaha "i reached out for clarification and they reassured me its actually worse,

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

does this mean you could set up bots to delete and redownload a game millions of time to gently caress over a studio that made you mad

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Zokari posted:

does this mean you could set up bots to delete and redownload a game millions of time to gently caress over a studio that made you mad

No, they'll be monitoring for fraud :)

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

quote:

Unity says it will use fraud detection tools and allow developers to report possible instances of fraud to a compliance team

lmao at needing to get them to agree you don't have to pay them money

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://twitter.com/unormal/status/1701673961795313778

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/1701672044503433706

https://twitter.com/tha_rami/status/1701667656330342539

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

No, they'll be monitoring for fraud :)

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

drat they suckered those idiot game devs

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://twitter.com/AggroCrabGames/status/1701691036832309260

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Unity just wiped out the gaming industry lol

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Wait so if EpicGamer420 streams a Unity game to ten thousand people do the devs get charged for that? That can't possibly be right

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Epic watching vampire capital attempt to make Unity commit suicide with a huge grin

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

was BG3 a unity game?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Zokari posted:

power to the gamers

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://steamdb.info/tech/Engine/Unity/

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

This is bad enough news for GamePass that maybe John Microsoft will buy the whole operation or have the Unity vampire finance guy thrown out of a window