Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Neal Stephenson writes those big ol' doorstops with a fountain pen. Proof.

I thought he wrote his novels in Emacs. He probably made the switch after the Baroque Cycle, at the behest of his hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Selachian posted:

There used to be a SF book store in NYC that had Isaac Asimov's TRS-80 on display in the front window.

Ads were so much wordier in the '80s.

No tab key, God drat.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Armauk posted:

I thought he wrote his novels in Emacs. He probably made the switch after the Baroque Cycle, at the behest of his hand.
Says here that he started at the beginning of the Baroque Cycle.

Neal Stephenson posted:

“I’ve written every word of it so far with fountain pen on paper. Part of the theory was that it would make me less long-winded, but it hasn’t actually worked.”

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Nothing but respect for him. I'm in pain if I spend even 10 minutes writing something by hand. Maybe 20-30 for typing.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Hello!

I like fantasy books, but most of the ones I've read have been epic fantasy. Can someone recommend some good "sword and sorcery" titles?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

LiterallyATomato posted:

Hello!

I like fantasy books, but most of the ones I've read have been epic fantasy. Can someone recommend some good "sword and sorcery" titles?

Implied Spaces by Walter Jon Williams starts as sword n' sorcery then goes weird sci-fi and I enjoyed it a lot.

For more "standard" try the Gandalara cycle, seven novels written as a collab between Randall Garrett and his wife Vicki Ann Heydron. A dude gets hit by a meteor and wakes up in the body of a strapping young man with a sword in the desert... and with a friendly giant cat. Adventures follow!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

LiterallyATomato posted:

I'll lead with The Black Company by Glen Cook. It's the gritty, grim story of a mercenary company that may just have signed on with the evil sorcerer queen.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I just finished American Elsewhere by Robert Jackson Bennett and loved it, that mix of otherwordly sci-fi and existential horror is definitely my jam. Similarly I've dug what I've read by qntm (although he could seriously use an editor). Any recommendations for stuff that'll scratch the same itch?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

LiterallyATomato posted:

Hello!

Read some Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser to get the original!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

LiterallyATomato posted:

Hello!

You could do a lot worse than Roger Zelazny's Nine Princes in Amber. And if you like it, there's more! much of which is terrible

(e:f,b)
Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser founded the thief-and-barbarian genre. The first book is a short-story collection Swords and Deviltry

Steve Brust's Jhereg; sword-and-sworcery meets noir detective. The author is a sex harasser, so you may not want to throw him money.

(has anybody read Kings of the Wyld? It looks interesting based on the blurb.)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Phanatic posted:

I just finished American Elsewhere by Robert Jackson Bennett and loved it, that mix of otherwordly sci-fi and existential horror is definitely my jam. Similarly I've dug what I've read by qntm (although he could seriously use an editor). Any recommendations for stuff that'll scratch the same itch?

Read DECLARE by Tim Powers

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Sword and sorcery? Start with some of the original Conan stories. They're outdated and sometimes very racist, but you can't beat them for panache in evocative environments.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

General Battuta posted:

Read DECLARE by Tim Powers

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Tim Powers' DECLARE, as already said.

Last Exit by Max Gladstone might work for you; it's good, either way.

The Library at Mount Char could also.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Phanatic posted:

Caitlin R. Kiernan's Tinfoil Dossier, a trilogy of novellas, might be up your alley.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

LiterallyATomato posted:

Hello!

Seconding the Black Company. I re-read them a couple of years ago and they still hold up. That is, my opinion was the same as when I read them before: the first 4 are top notch, then there's a bit of a dropoff as the later books get weirder. So read the first 4 (the "books of the north" and "the silver spike") and then press on or not as suits you.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

LiterallyATomato posted:

Hello!

Thirding Black Company!

But also if you want something a little more modern compared to Conan, try Jennifer Roberson's Sword Dancer / Tiger and Del series. The first six books are the main story; book 7 which I just read this year came out years later and is like a "where are they now" kind of extended sword and sorcery adventure epilogue thing.

If you're open to goon books, my first is technically sword and sorcery (the series is epic fantasy but those elements are really background in book 1):
https://books2read.com/petition

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

the march north was... good.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Just finished Void Star by Zachary Mason and quite liked it even though it sometimes felt a bit too try-hard (in ways I can't really articulate).

Glad to see the unanimous Black Company reccs since, based on a different source, I just impulse bought the first three off Abebooks.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

LiterallyATomato posted:

Hello!

Nifft the Lean by Michael Shea is awesome if you also like a bit of cosmic horror in your fantasy.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

tokenbrownguy posted:

the march north was... good.
hi graydon

signed graydon

anyway the mention of caitlín r kiernan reminded me that she's gone all chud these days. gently caress. I liked her stuff, even when she was misunderstanding geometry and having a character lose san over a the eldritch angles of regular heptagon or whatever.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Chas McGill posted:

Nifft the Lean by Michael Shea is awesome if you also like a bit of cosmic horror in your fantasy.

It's heavily influenced by Jack Vance's Dying Earth series, so read those too. And Shea's The Quest for Simbilis, which was written (with Vance's permission) as a sequel to Vance's Eyes of the Overworld, and inspired Vance to finally get around to writing his (unrelated) sequel to it; Cugel's Saga.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kalman posted:

Tim Powers' DECLARE, as already said.
thirding this

if it's on KU or something you could waste some time with Austin Grossman's Crooked, the main character of which is Richard Nixon. it mostly sucks but it has some incredible lines like "the four bodies of the legislative branch, House, Senate, Gestalt, and Hovering"

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
36 Streets is very very good so far. We got our client mystery to investigate, we got our dickhead of a protagonist (who is slowly being revealed to have some very good reasons for this) and then we also have these indications of something else going on that seems entirely out of place with where she is now extreme combat resulting in her being continually hospitalised and I'm absolutely gripped by the locale.

ClydeFrog fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 13, 2023

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

thirding this

Declare is one of my favorite novels of all time. Powers’s secret histories are generally excellent, although I felt Stress of Her Regard was an uneventful slog.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I would suggest Black Leopard/Red Wolf by Marlon James. It has a cool mix of Folklore/old school sci fi fantasy to it. Plus the folklore is African so it's not a style or subject a lot of people have exposure to.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

On the sword and sorcery front, I agree with Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, with the understanding that at some point the stories are going to start sucking and it's okay to stop.

I'd also put in a recommendation for Karl Edward Wagner's Kane books (not to be confused with Robert E. Howard's Solomon Kane), which are nicely dark and gothic with a protagonist who can be either hero or villain.

Tanith Lee's Cyrion is pretty good if you want a S&S protagonist who's more intellectual than the usual barbarian warrior.

And finally, Charles Saunders's Imaro and Dossouye series are great African-inspired swords and sorcery -- written by an African-American author who, unlike most S&S writers, knows about African cultures and geography and doesn't fall prey to the usual fantasy-Africa cliches.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I would suggest Black Leopard/Red Wolf by Marlon James. It has a cool mix of Folklore/old school sci fi fantasy to it. Plus the folklore is African so it's not a style or subject a lot of people have exposure to.

I would warn that it’s very dark and has a lot of upsetting violence and other content warnings. It’s very good but not easy reading.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

StrixNebulosa posted:

I would warn that it’s very dark and has a lot of upsetting violence and other content warnings. It’s very good but not easy reading.

Thirding the recommendation, but if you're thinking of reading it, try the first chapter on Amazon first to make sure you know what it's gonna be.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Is that the one with the hyena golden shower lol

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

LiterallyATomato posted:

Hello!

Lord Dunsansy's Legends of Pagana stories is the bed rock origin of Sword and Sorcery and they still own. Jack Vance's Dying Earth stories also remain great.

The Collected Fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith should be available on kindle.

Find a publication order Elric collection by Michael Moorcock or the Corum series by the same.

Seconding Karl Edgar Wagner's Kane series.

If you read the Fafhrd and The Grey Mouser collections skip the first two stories in the first collection because they suck and were written as prequels way after the original stories.

One of the hidden truths about Sword and Sorcery is that much of our conception of what it is was actually formed in the 70s with comics. If you're look for a S and S hit then there's a lot of good or at least interesting ones. The Busiek Conan comics are a very good entryway.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Powers’s secret histories are generally excellent, although I felt Stress of Her Regard was an uneventful slog.

I like the Romantic poets. My reaction to SoHR was "This is more than I ever wanted to know about the Romantic poets." I very much fear this happens to the Brontës. Surprisingly little is known about them (other than their writings), and people have put the most ridiculous things into the gaps. Also, nobody should ever give more than ten seconds' thought or screen time to Branwell. He was not a mysterious hidden figure, he was a complete and utter failson.

Selachian posted:

Tanith Lee's Cyrion is pretty good if you want a S&S protagonist who's more intellectual than the usual barbarian warrior.
This is an excellent recommendation. For those who read Dorothy Dunnett, Cyrion is an open homage to Crawford of Lymond.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Chas McGill posted:

Did those ever get an ebook release?

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
Finished 36 Streets. Really enjoyed it even as it went full batshit at the end. A different milieu from the usual cyberpunk setting and lots of letting you work out the world for yourself which I appreciated.

Definitely going to look out for the next book by this author.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

anilEhilated posted:

Not that I'm aware of, I have an ancient paperback I found on abebooks or something.

Shea died back in 2014 and I don't think he was a huge seller so I'm not sure if there will be much of a push to get those stories digitised. It's a shame because they're very good.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 13, 2023

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Fortress of Dragons (Fortress #4) by CJ Cherryh - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC1S9K/

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Selachian posted:

I'd also put in a recommendation for Karl Edward Wagner's Kane books (not to be confused with Robert E. Howard's Solomon Kane), which are nicely dark and gothic with a protagonist who can be either hero or villain.

nthing Kane, he's a more readable Conan and a heap of fun

might be a little of piste by something that pops up here fairly often is Heroes Die (acts of Caine) by Matthew Stover. it's not pure S&S but has the right beats in a more modern, if dark, story. The sequels do get darker and introspective though so I'd read the first then reviews if murderous self pity isn't your thing.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

unofficially

Kwathi
Nov 7, 2010

You do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to the Cult of the Crushing Wave."

quote:

(has anybody read Kings of the Wyld? It looks interesting based on the blurb.)

I read it and the sequel and thought they were fun. The premise is essentially "What if D&D adventuring parties were were treated like rock bands?" The "VH1 Behind The Music" side has pretty good synergy with the "supposedly heroic murderhobos" side, so if the premise appeals to you it's worth reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

fez_machine posted:

One of the hidden truths about Sword and Sorcery is that much of our conception of what it is was actually formed in the 70s with comics. If you're look for a S and S hit then there's a lot of good or at least interesting ones. The Busiek Conan comics are a very good entryway.

What else would you recommend for S&S comics? I have no real awareness of what's out there and I think I've been missing out, I love the Elric and Fafhrd/Grey Mouser books, and I really enjoyed a lot of the Conan stories, plus I'm reading a bunch of Clark Ashton Smith and the Zothique stuff in particular has a lot of that kind of vibe, I feel. I'd love to see that sort of stuff in comic form.