Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maybe part of it is just the product becoming a commodity so it isn't worth the cost of trying to make it look different when people are still just going to by the cheapest one possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mystes posted:

Maybe part of it is just the product becoming a commodity so it isn't worth the cost of trying to make it look different when people are still just going to by the cheapest one possible?

maybe, i'm not really asking for why cuz that argument's been done to death, i'm asking if he's got (or anyone else tbh) first-hand experience seeing it from the side of the people making the products, and if it's obvious what's going on or not from that angle

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

it's just natural selection. when the smart speakers go to the conference they find other smart speakers and mate, and their offspring trend towards the most optimal smart speaker.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Internet Janitor posted:

minor point, but i find it very amusing that all of the interminable self-assigned titles of these dipshits are ellipsized, as if the website itself is exasperatedly telling them to shut up

what was that quote, "if your job can't be described in two words it's bullshit"?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

computer toucher is two words

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

so is executive management

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
weasel rancher

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

where's the gently caress adobe thread again?

i am currently batch processing about 3000 files in acrobat, and every time it finishes one (every 2-3 seconds) the acrobat window pops to the front and steals focus. it has taken me a good 2 minutes to write this post one word at a time, alt-tabbing constantly. my computer is essentially unusable.

just an absolute piece of poo poo. well loving done

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
turn on your monitor hehehe

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i would simply use my other computer to post

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

fisting by many posted:

what was that quote, "if your job can't be described in two words it's bullshit"?

"president of the united states of america"

:hmmyes:

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

fisting by many posted:

a job title, sure, but my job title is "project designer" and that tells you nothing about what i do unless i tell you what kind of projects i design (rooftop solar, battery backup, and battery load-shifting)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
pretty difficult to describe, say, a vavasours job or a majordomo-castellans job or a curopalate or a megaduke without more than two words, even if it was in the great unalienated middle ages

or, to talk of poor peeps, bearleaders, ostiaries, pissdoctors....

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 13, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So then do those of us with one word jobs get bonus cred?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
“fart huffer”

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bob dobbs is dead posted:

pretty difficult to describe, say, a vavasours job or a majordomo-castellans job or a curopalate or a megaduke without more than two words, even if it was in the great unalienated middle ages

a megadook is what i describe your posts as

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Captain Foo posted:

a megadook is what i describe your posts as

unplug your serial loopback adapter

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

unplug your serial loopback adapter

Jeeez

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

or, to talk of poor peeps, bearleaders, ostiaries, pissdoctors....

no it isn't, all of those are easy to gloss in a couple words

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
surprised no one has brought up unity's big ceo brained decision today to charge developers that use unity a per-install fee of $0.20 base per individual install of a game

they announced it today and were walking back parts of it by the early evening but expect more to come out of this over the next days, weeks, years since unity is a big player in the space and their proposed changes are insane even with the improved version

theres so may stupid aspects of it like their solution to piracy being to trust their special piracy tracking capabilities or explaining that actually publishers like microsoft will pay for gamepass-related costs with absolutely no downstream effects on the devs

https://www.axios.com/2023/09/13/unity-runtime-fee-policy-marc-whitten

koolkal fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 13, 2023

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
the fee structure and enforcement is literally "if our magic computer model says you make enough money, we will send you a gigantic bill. no, we won't tell you how the model works, trust us"

the whole thing makes absolutely zero sense and it is transparently obvious that their actual intent is to frighten indie devs and studios into incorporating their in-app ads solutions. if you display unity-provided ads in your game, the surprise fees are completely waived (for now)

gently caress unity, i hope they stick to their guns on this cartoonishly evil scheme and get liquidated within the year

edit: to be clear, what i mean by that is i hope the board and c-suite of unity are bodily converted into a souplike homogenate

Internet Janitor fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 13, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

unreal engine seems good

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

unreal is the primary alternative to unity in the short term

godot is much less mature and generally capable, but if you're building something that's possible in godot (a large swath of indie titles) it is a safer bet for the long term. godot is FOSS, so the worst-case scenario is that the devs gently caress it up or sell out and you're stuck maintaining your own fork

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

i can think of nothing more terminally ceo-brained than prioritizing ad revenue over actual product sales revenue

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

said ceo has repeatedly gone on record as saying that he thinks everybody who isn't publishing F2P games and optimizing for addiction is a moron

he's a complete ghoul and unity doesn't give a single poo poo about the needs of indie studios or creative individuals, because that audience is not currently unity's primary revenue stream; this move is just making it official and salting the earth

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
unilateral contract changes with some exceptions are a magic spell for getting the judge to feast on your entrails

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

not before tying the case up with stalling tactics for a few years while everyone responsible bails out on their golden parachutes

meanwhile countless game developers go bankrupt

the system works

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this is not consumer litigation, there will prolly be serious lawyers on both sides. 5.6 million bucks is quite enough to incentivize paying lawyers for example

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

someone pointed out that suda51 named one of the villains of no more heroes after the ceo of unity because riccitiello was such a gently caress stick during the development of one of suda's earlier games.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Internet Janitor posted:

said ceo has repeatedly gone on record as saying that he thinks everybody who isn't publishing F2P games and optimizing for addiction is a moron

he's a complete ghoul and unity doesn't give a single poo poo about the needs of indie studios or creative individuals, because that audience is not currently unity's primary revenue stream; this move is just making it official and salting the earth

the truly baffling thing is that this plan screws over F2P with MTX games the most. Those games have a minority of whales pay enough to make the game free for the vast number of minnows, but now those devs will have to pay a fee for all of those minnows. They're Unity's most profitable customer base, that Unity has been courting since the beginning, and they inexplicably decided to up and shank them in the back. It's like killing the golden goose because you decided you want a golden chicken too, it makes no loving sense.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Midjack posted:

someone pointed out that suda51 named one of the villains of no more heroes after the ceo of unity because riccitiello was such a gently caress stick during the development of one of suda's earlier games.

the ceo of unity was that guy from EA? jesus christ

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Internet Janitor posted:

i hope the board and c-suite of unity are bodily converted into a souplike homogenate

They seem to be selling stock for some reason.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/unity-software-incs-president-ceo-050515124.html

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

jemand posted:

I do love the casual ablism of this idea and how it feeds into a the classic SV startup culture of just hiring fit young dudes. The severity of the motivation to sit down again varies widely, as does the distraction of trying to keep the work in mind while also continuing to stand-- and that's for the people who can manage to do it for the alloted period at all.

Physically standing together is not a job requirement for these roles unless artificially made so, and that's exclusionary.

SV dudes love standing up so much they buy a loving standing desk

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shame Boy posted:

hey fart simpson i got a question for ya: i've been thinking about how new categories of consumer electronics start out very inventive and experimental but then just kinda settling in to all being slight variations on one standard market-leading thing and becoming kinda boring, like for example smartphones before the iphone all being weird and different vs. a few years after it came out all kinda standardizing into "glass rectangle". have you ever seen that happen like, from the inside? is it a slow process or does the boss just come in one day and go "okay everyone stop all the R&D and design efforts, this other company's thing is selling real big and we're just gonna rip it off now, also half of you are redundant and fired"?

ive never seen anything else than this. right after i was hired one of the c levels came for an all hands meeting and said “stop trying to innovate, it’s not what we do. we are fat followers”

and it’s extremely hard for us to get any products through the pipeline without an “external benchmark” ie something already in the market to copy. there is still plenty of design effort, we aren’t just straight up copying in most cases, it’s like we have our team tear down other products and try to figure out how to make it cheaper or better in some way

basically nothing makes it into a product unless there’s an off the shelf module that supports the feature. like, there’s a reason every downer company launched sonos knockoffs in 2013 specifically and it’s because broadcom has released a new soc that supported wifi good enough to do audio streaming in a speaker for under $20 bom cost. that kind of thing

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Eeyo posted:

"president of the united states of america"

:hmmyes:

the decider

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

ive never seen anything else than this. right after i was hired one of the c levels came for an all hands meeting and said “stop trying to innovate, it’s not what we do. we are fat followers”

and it’s extremely hard for us to get any products through the pipeline without an “external benchmark” ie something already in the market to copy. there is still plenty of design effort, we aren’t just straight up copying in most cases, it’s like we have our team tear down other products and try to figure out how to make it cheaper or better in some way

basically nothing makes it into a product unless there’s an off the shelf module that supports the feature. like, there’s a reason every downer company launched sonos knockoffs in 2013 specifically and it’s because broadcom has released a new soc that supported wifi good enough to do audio streaming in a speaker for under $20 bom cost. that kind of thing

free market wisdom

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fart simpson posted:

oh i had no idea it was so explicit, that's kinda a bummer lol

thanks for getting back to me on my question though :shobon:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

koolkal posted:

surprised no one has brought up unity's big ceo brained decision today to charge developers that use unity a per-install fee of $0.20 base per individual install of a game

they announced it today and were walking back parts of it by the early evening but expect more to come out of this over the next days, weeks, years since unity is a big player in the space and their proposed changes are insane even with the improved version

theres so may stupid aspects of it like their solution to piracy being to trust their special piracy tracking capabilities or explaining that actually publishers like microsoft will pay for gamepass-related costs with absolutely no downstream effects on the devs

https://www.axios.com/2023/09/13/unity-runtime-fee-policy-marc-whitten

Alexa, remind me to bill Amazon a few million dollars because I unilaterally decided they owe me money despite not having a contract with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/0xabad1dea/status/1701861366984814825