Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Is this going to become a battle manga now

Battle manga is the ground state of shonen, as discussed in Bakuman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I think that she's switched from being nice to trying to scare him away, especially if her blood's mixed with his. Whatever injured her to begin with might be after mermaids, and now that he's got mermaid blood in him he might be a target now.

Hell, maybe mermaids want to kill each other and her instincts have kicked in

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

i can't wait to meet the 13 generals of the mermaid army and their dozens of side character subordinates

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jerkface posted:

i can't wait to meet the 13 generals of the mermaid army and their dozens of side character subordinates

Mikane, as a half-human/half-mermaid, is stronger than both humans and mermaids.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Mikane, as a half-human/half-mermaid, is stronger than both humans and mermaids.

"The mix of human and mermaid has been forbidden for centuries, ever since... The Great Calamity. That's why they fear you, Mikane. Your power, it's a sign of things to come. You're going to destroy Oceanid society as we know it."

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Jerkface posted:

If this turns into another Cop and Dolphin, I will scream.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Alacron posted:

Yukko becomes the main character and it becomes a gritty revenge story

Plot twist: This is just elaborate hardcore mermaid foreplay before they have coitus

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Do Retry is definitely ending next chapter seeing as every plot point got resolved this week.

The new series MamaYuyu is a little too early to tell since this first chapter didn't actually set up where the plot is going to go.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Goosebump Girlfriend: An expected outcome but I still feel bad for Rinko

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Goosebump Girlfriend: An expected outcome but I still feel bad for Rinko

Poor girl is probably my favorite character. :allears:

Also, yeah I expected that our dear protagonist will be unable to cheat on Kisaki. He may be a bit unhinged, but he is still good boy and likes Kisaki way too much to do something like that. Even if he doesn't fully realize it himself, yet. Which makes the ending of this chapter extra hilarious.

Also also, the author might be legit the sanest person in Shonen Jump, considering he decided to switch to bi-weekly schedule once he felt that weekly schedule was a bit too much. Good for him, I hope a bunch of other mangaka will follow suit.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah Do Retry is done, not really sad. Was reading it out of sheer momentum. Wasn’t that good.

Mamayuyu seems like it could be interesting but it had a ton of chapters without really giving us anything about what the actual story is going to be. It’s about him going on a journey to discover what being a hero is, so is that solely in his world? are they dimension hopping? Why did the demon lord even take in the hero?

It really needs to show us what it wants to aim for. I don’t dislike it, but I don’t think it has anything going for it either.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I assume it'll be a battle manga solely because of that image on the Viz frontpage but yeah the actual chapter gives zero indication what the driving force is gonna be. Could be interesting, could be an Earthchild situation where it veers from place to find to find a plot that works.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Mamayuyu feels like a one-shot trying to twist itself into a series.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
MMA is still good. Feels a bit like Ippo with the protagonist finally entering his first tourney (though as an amateur rather than a pro)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

Yeah Do Retry is done, not really sad. Was reading it out of sheer momentum. Wasn’t that good.

Mamayuyu seems like it could be interesting but it had a ton of chapters without really giving us anything about what the actual story is going to be. It’s about him going on a journey to discover what being a hero is, so is that solely in his world? are they dimension hopping? Why did the demon lord even take in the hero?

It really needs to show us what it wants to aim for. I don’t dislike it, but I don’t think it has anything going for it either.

It also didn't give us much personality for the Demon Lord, which feels like an odd move considering that'll be the co-protagonist, judging from the art.

As a one-shot it works, but most successful Jump series end chapter 1 with a hook saying "this is what the series is going to be like". They might move away from that hook sooner or later, but it tells the reader something to look forward to. Here, there's no clear next chapter, which makes it harder to see what we're working with, despite an interesting setup.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Alacron posted:

Mamayuyu feels like a one-shot trying to twist itself into a series.

Yeah, that was my vibe. I was just "well, feels kinda resolved"

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah I've got no clue where Mamayuyu is going, but I liked the first chap well enough. The paneling really stood out to me, it's quite creative.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
it becomes a wildly successful 500 chapter series about the protagonist using his hero status to protect people by publicizing systemic corruption, leading peaceful protests, and starting non profit organizations.

Or maybe he'll fight other extradimensional threats. Could go either way.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So a weird thing about Detective Conan is that in the first 200 chapters a setting got repeated almost verbatim. There were two instances of going to a remote cabin specifically with the only connection to the outside world being a rope bridge that gets destroyed leaving everyone stranded.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

The Black Stones posted:

Do Retry had a chance to be good if it actually committed to "having a strong heart" does not solve everything. The narrative was set up to discuss how this typical shonen trope cannot handle certain issues which is why Nijimura resorted to using drugs. But in the end, "having a solve heart" apparently solves everything, including PTSD and TB.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Lol. “Yeah, I was sick and on my deathbed but then I said ‘TB sucks I don’t want it’ really hard and now I’m cured.”

I think my biggest issue beyond story was the art didn’t really click with the type of story. It just looked a bit too nice for a manga about beating the crap out of others.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Flair posted:

Do Retry had a chance to be good if it actually committed to "having a strong heart" does not solve everything. The narrative was set up to discuss how this typical shonen trope cannot handle certain issues which is why Nijimura resorted to using drugs. But in the end, "having a solve heart" apparently solves everything, including PTSD and TB.

I think Do Retry sort of set a trap for itself. It came pretty close to linking the determination-is-the-solution-to-everything mentality of Shonen Jump to fascism. Obviously there was no way it would end up concluding “actually this magazine is fascist,” and obviously the author lacks the political sophistication to explain why it isn’t. The only solution was to just ignore the dad’s arguments and fall back on cliches.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

marriage-toxin continues to own

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

I think Do Retry sort of set a trap for itself. It came pretty close to linking the determination-is-the-solution-to-everything mentality of Shonen Jump to fascism. Obviously there was no way it would end up concluding “actually this magazine is fascist,” and obviously the author lacks the political sophistication to explain why it isn’t. The only solution was to just ignore the dad’s arguments and fall back on cliches.

It's hard to say if the mangaka has the political sophistication to expand on their point (although you're probably right), but it never mattered since after that storyline it went into "well, gotta wrap it up" mode and whatever theme it was wanting to build was dumped by the wayside.

It's a shame, though; has there been any manga that's explored that line of thought? I think I wouldn't mind reading a series that sees where that goes.

panko posted:

marriage-toxin continues to own

:hmmyes:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/shonenjump/status/1702007990990082255

Hell yeah

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Shinji2015 posted:

It's hard to say if the mangaka has the political sophistication to expand on their point (although you're probably right), but it never mattered since after that storyline it went into "well, gotta wrap it up" mode and whatever theme it was wanting to build was dumped by the wayside.

It's a shame, though; has there been any manga that's explored that line of thought? I think I wouldn't mind reading a series that sees where that goes.

:hmmyes:

While it doesn't really pursue its ties to fascism, Fire Punch is largely about how BURNING PASSION can cause pain and agony. Content warning for... Just about everything from incest to torture, though.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

hell yeah

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
I'm gonna queue up Smile Bomb for listening. Or that gothy string-heavy number for Kurama. Nightmare? Think it was called Nightmare.

Lot of good memories with this one.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind, wrong manga

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

panko posted:

hell yeah

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

While it doesn't really pursue its ties to fascism, Fire Punch is largely about how BURNING PASSION can cause pain and agony. Content warning for... Just about everything from incest to torture, though.

It's a theme that continues in Chainsaw Man, where Denji's endurance and ability to recover emotionally gets interrogated by the narrative. Not as much as Fire Punch, but there's some parody of Jump convention all the same.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Medalist has got to the traditional 'the character comes within inches of defeating their rival but ultimately falls short due to being ever-so-slightly-technically-worse' mid-part of a sports drama and I think all ice rinks should be destroyed.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Pierson posted:

Medalist has got to the traditional 'the character comes within inches of defeating their rival but ultimately falls short due to being ever-so-slightly-technically-worse' mid-part of a sports drama and I think all ice rinks should be destroyed.

medalist had such a godlike first major success event in like the first few chapters, is there anywhere i can read the middle chapters since it seems to jump from like 7 to 30?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Wait so I use the jump app for this one and not the viz?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Futaba Anzu posted:

medalist had such a godlike first major success event in like the first few chapters, is there anywhere i can read the middle chapters since it seems to jump from like 7 to 30?

Mangalife or Mangasee. Those are the sources I use for Tachiyomi.

Pierson posted:

That's pretty much what happened yes due to some penalties bringing it down to a 2 Axel. What made it such a tough and bitter pill to swallow is that not only did she fail to podium(came in 4th) for the first time in her career thus far, but on PAPER even with the fall she DID beat Hikaru's score. So it's basically losing on technicalities.

Super glad about Yu Yu Hakusho and yeah I liked Mama Yuyu as well, but agree that I have no idea where it could go from there. I legit kind of HOPE that it doesn't go full battle manga or even at all and becomes more of a philosophical thing exploring what it means to be a hero.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 13, 2023

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Reading YYH and I had forgotten that the manga really drags out the opening with Yusuke staying dead for much longer than the anime.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Ok this new manga had a surprisingly banger first chapter. I love the crazy old man.

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1018863

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Reading YYH and I had forgotten that the manga really drags out the opening with Yusuke staying dead for much longer than the anime.

The impression I always got is that the 'staying dead' thing was supposed to be the bulk of the story. They spent a lot of time establishing various rules and gimmicks which could easily have been dragged out a long time and the major Plot McGuffin basically vanishes until the Dark Tournament arc where it becomes a plot device. It doesn't really become True Fightman until Genkai is introduced which is a notable shift for the series from "Dead teenager gets to come back to live but has to do good" and "Dead teenager has come back to life but now has to solve spirit crimes using magic detective devices"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kingtheninja posted:

Wait so I use the jump app for this one and not the viz?

Yeah, it's on my phone's Jump app, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Monster #8: Teamwork makes the dream work. :boom: