Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Seeing Kizaru being *picked up* like a rag doll is immensely satisfying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

don krieg made the classic rookie mistake of thinking that piracy was a particularly important part of being a pirate.

you hate to see it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1702036585712165028?t=ecJhqBkFZkkV--ic2H2RUg&s=19

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Rip Hachi, deemed unimportant

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Hmm nice words, but they deleted Gaimon so obviously this is a lie

Chapter spoiler Re-reading Kizaru’s dialog before his supermassive attack, it sounds like he’s got his own agenda and actually wants to save Vegapunk. Could just be a bad translation though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

E wait no that's wrong they did remove

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waffleman_ posted:

Gaimon is in the Alabasta saga....

No he's not, he's in Chapter 22.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah I misremembered

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Seeing Kizaru being *picked up* like a rag doll is immensely satisfying
It's an amazing visual. Kizaru has a great knack for being nonchalant in insane situations though. The most memorable part of his introduction was getting cut in half and exploded by Apoo, and reacting by just saying "Whaaa-". That was a hell of a way to end a chapter, but of course Kizaru was just fine. That's just how he is.

He's got the same energy here. He's subject to the most ridiculous power and he's just like, "Oh, so that's it".

Kizaru is a really fun villain.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

hatty posted:

Rip Hachi, deemed unimportant

he is

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

wtf

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Hachi is only important much later on. If they wanted him in his actually interesting role, he could just say, "Oh, I was a member of the Arlong Pirates and but left when they were being terrible, I'm still sorry for the part I played in ruining your home, Nami," and everything plays out the same from there. Probably plays out better than him being a willing participant in some heinous poo poo.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Plutonis posted:

Pretty sure the sunglasses guy is Scooper Gaban

Bleck posted:

The guy with the axes, at least, is Scopper Gaban.

Oh, dang, seems I gotta reread Wano because I forgot all about that

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
hachi is genuinely important to namis growth and to represent the multifaceted opinions of the fishmen and their oppression

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think him being a willing participant makes his arc stronger and Nami's forgiveness more meaningful. And Jimbei does the forgive me for allowing it to happen thing later it'd be lame to do it twice

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Eiba posted:

Yeah. It's not some Joyboy dream of freedom that's waking up the robot... It's the strong feelings everyone felt hearing that the "giant robot of dreams" was destroyed that woke and animated the ancient giant robot. Truly one of humanities most fundamental and eternal dreams. It will never truly die.

The robot waking up right after Gear 5th appears seems too deliberate to be a coincidence, I’m going with Gear 5th (or maybe just the Nika fruit in general but Gear 5th puts it in overdrive) amplifies dreams by bending reality to make dreams come true.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

anime was right posted:

hachi is genuinely important to namis growth and to represent the multifaceted opinions of the fishmen and their oppression
Yeah, I agree. But in the context of the live action adaptation I think you can just say all of that after the fact, rather than having him be one of the grunts who get taken out by Sanji and Zoro. None of that arc happened in Arlong Park.

hatty posted:

I think him being a willing participant makes his arc stronger and Nami's forgiveness more meaningful. And Jimbei does the forgive me for allowing it to happen thing later it'd be lame to do it twice
You're right that the personal connection is important to his story, but at the same time Arlong going, "we might as well start just killing people," and Hachi just kind of nodding along in the background doesn't really fit with the good hearted guy we know later on. He's presented as kind of slow on the uptake, but I don't know if just being oblivious can really support that emotional arc any better than him just leaving on his own before the live action crew showed up- possibly after Arlong kills Nami's mother, so he can still have that guilt and personal connection.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Why couldn't Hacchi be replaced in the story with one of the other LA fishmen that are cheaper to film? Do we need the takoyaki detail?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Why couldn't Hacchi be replaced in the story with one of the other LA fishmen that are cheaper to film? Do we need the takoyaki detail?
this. just have the weird ugly stripy fishman play that role if they somehow got there.

also gaimon was in the live action, very vaguely kinda sorta

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

tbp posted:

i had honestly assumed we were done seeing g4

i'm glad we're not

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Man with Hat posted:

Oh, dang, seems I gotta reread Wano because I forgot all about that

I'm pretty sure he's never been explicitly called out as Scopper Gaban in-story and everything about who he is comes from SBS answers.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I feel so vindicated right now, all the two season chumpers can suck it down :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, this doesn't mean they're getting six seasons. It just means they have plans for that far.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
six seasons would probably get to the timeskip?

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Chapter spoiler Re-reading Kizaru’s dialog before his supermassive attack, it sounds like he’s got his own agenda and actually wants to save Vegapunk. Could just be a bad translation though.

he doesn't want to kill vegapunk but orders are orders. he said he didn't want to fight sentomaru but thought it would be disrespectful not to, and expresses regret about fighting bonney

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The first half of the series has six major sagas:

East Blue
Alabasta
Sky Island
Water 7
Thriller Bark
Summit War

So yeah pretty much

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

A full "Summit War" season stretching from Sabaody to Marineford would be the densest, most powerful season of television ever produced, and I'm not sure it's even possible to make that work

(Realistically they'd probably just stick the Sabaody episodes on the back of the Thriller Bark season to cut down on the amount the next season would have to cover, but the fight with Kuma would be a hell of a cliffhanger and also the Straw Hats separated and mostly offscreen for an entire season would be a tough sell)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Arist posted:

A full "Summit War" season stretching from Sabaody to Marineford would be the densest, most powerful season of television ever produced, and I'm not sure it's even possible to make that work

(Realistically they'd probably just stick the Sabaody episodes on the back of the Thriller Bark season to cut down on the amount the next season would have to cover, but the fight with Kuma would be a hell of a cliffhanger and also the Straw Hats separated and mostly offscreen for an entire season would be a tough sell)

I think the solution to that would be to end on Kuma, and then next season is half Luffy's journey to save Ace half each individual Straw Hat timeskip setting/setup. Maybe have some thematic attachment between what Luffy is doing and the Straw Hat in question, could have it be thematically "if only x was here they'd be able to handle this" angle?

Basically how they did season 1 but instead of cutting to Garp/Koby/Helmeppo you'd get the Straw Hats.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
they'd surely just expand out the straw hat separation side stories as a b-plot during amazon lily/impel down/marineford if they ever got that far

and yeah it'd make the most sense to stick sabaody on the end of thriller bark. thriller bark probably isn't long enough for a season on its own and the kuma fight would be a great cliffhanger

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I'm pretty sure a good chunk of the Marineford saga will have to be rewritten. It's okay for major characters to disappear in the manga, they're just ink. But for the crew to basically not show up for a whole season, that's going to be harsh on the actors.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
having straw hat timeskip stories as the b-plots is definitely the way to go imo

what'll be a real problem is later when the crew is split up across several arcs

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

you would have to just

put the whole sanji one in the trash and start over

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

you would have to just

put the whole sanji one in the trash and start over

i feel like it'd be out of character for la sanji even if it was a world where that was kosher

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Now I'm just wondering what you do with Bon Clay in Alabasta

Do you just like go full drag queen

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

it's probably the tasteful way to go

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I feel like one of the Okama characters is officially based on someone Oda is friends with but I cannot remember which or find info on it.

In any case, I think drag queen is the safest way to handle it. You can probably rewrite parts of Sanji's time skip whilst keeping where he lands pretty easily, they've already rewritten or come up with new jokes (and toned early Usopp and Sanji down a bit).

If you wanted to do something interesting you could make up a home island for Zeff for Sanji to land in instead, but I dunno if they'd go that far with rewrites. Everything they've done so far has at least been attached to existing canon (Garp being in the East Blue, Mr 7 trying to recruit Zoro).

I imagine that any of the more "off-colour" gags are gonna get excised or made more palatable in live action just by the nature of live action. We're probably never getting happiness punch or fatal nosebleeds (although with helmepass being on the screen the former might still show up in some manner).

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Lord_Magmar posted:

I feel like one of the Okama characters is officially based on someone Oda is friends with but I cannot remember which or find info on it.

it was iva, who was forced to step down because he posted one of his tattoos on the internet (i think it was on his butt or something). yes seriously. he was arrested for this.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

anime was right posted:

it was iva, who was forced to step down because he posted one of his tattoos on the internet (i think it was on his butt or something). yes seriously.

Ahhh, I pick up on the Frank N Furt reference more so that's why I struggled to place it.

For what it's worth, outside specifically the Sanji timeskip, the Okama are portrayed 100% heroically as people living the life they want drat the consequences or anyone who tells them otherwise. Even the Sanji thing is represented on their end as wanting to help someone else explore who they are, Sanji is the one with the problem (charitably reading it).

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
They will probably edit the bit where Usopp tells Luffy to wear an afro because it'll make him punch like a black person, yes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean that wasn't even a thing

It was just a really bad fan translation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

imo that no one asked for, you could do

S1 - East Blue
S2 - Alabasta
S3 - Sky Island + Water 7
S4 - Thriller Bark + Sabaody

Then turn Summit War into two movie special, one for the prison break, one for the war itself.

S5 - Fishman / Dressrosa
S6 - Whole Cake / Wano
S7 - Wano (rooftop season)

Granted I'd be on the side of taking as much time as they want with any of these, the more the merrier (heh heh).