Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

change could have been that, yes. but then they introduced shanks' dad, the guy who executes any celestial dragons who take those small steps.
Striking someone down when they're being heroic hasn't historically worked out well, in One Piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

I know it's Akainu himself referencing Kuma, but a panel of Akainu in frame with the words "You're just a damned puppet now" is :discourse:

How about that being juxtaposed with the Celestial Dragons giving petty orders to, and chastising, the Fleet Admiral of the Marines in the same page

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

it's really weird that the entire fishman island arc was basically about how otohime was right. because she wasn't right, as oda has continually demonstrated ever since. fishmen can't make peace with the celestial dragons because celestial dragons don't view anyone as people. you can't make peace with someone that sees you as livestock. sure, it's possible to get through to an individual here and there, but the monstrous society built around the celestial dragons have ways of dealing with such abnormalities.

gonna get Political here, but the thing about the fishman racism is that it is meant to mirror our racism not only in form but in function. which is to say, we have an exploiter class brutaliziing and enslaving one group of people while telling another that the enslaved are bad. and even when the enslaved are free, the tensions the ruling class have planted still continue to persist in those they govern, and those they once enslaved feel little need to try to fit in when those prejudices will keep harming them. the story has not finished, and i presume that otohime will be proven right in the end because the celestial dragons will be, at least politically if not literally, obliterated and peace can be brought to everyone in the world, not just the fishmen. much as we in the real world must try to cast aside racism and other social ills to work together and destroy the forces representing capital. tee hee.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

That was Odyssey

Was Odyssey any good? I put it on my wish list out of habit but never got around to looking into it.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Was Odyssey any good? I put it on my wish list out of habit but never got around to looking into it.

It’s a C-tier Dragon Quest. Definitely not a bad game IMO.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think there's some interesting nuance to Fisher Tiger's position, where he can't help but hate humans due to what he's seen but doesn't want to pass on that hatred to the next generation. What Tiger did was obviously very necessary but Otohime's principled and self-sacrificing approach has its place in terms of long-term attitude shifting. Certainly more likely to work than Hody's plan to defeat all the admirals or whatever

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Chapter

cowardly kizaru runs away from Cyborg Franky and Yonkou Luffy (who took no damage from Kizaru's light attack and took all of his damage from the labophase defense lasers, Vegapunk tech > Kizaru) and is now about to get exposed by Gear 5

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think there's some interesting nuance to Fisher Tiger's position, where he can't help but hate humans due to what he's seen but doesn't want to pass on that hatred to the next generation. What Tiger did was obviously very necessary but Otohime's principled and self-sacrificing approach has its place in terms of long-term attitude shifting. Certainly more likely to work than Hody's plan to defeat all the admirals or whatever

One of the best moments in all of One Piece for me is Fisher Tiger, a man who spent most of his life doing his ultimate best not to act upon his completely justifiable hatred AND teaching others not to do that either, choosing to die a completely preventable death because he just can't deal with the idea of human blood running through his veins. And then asking the rest to not be hateful like him and to do better. My guy... you did plenty good. It's an incredible representation on how trauma can just completely subsume a person. Amazingly powerful stuff.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

logger posted:

How about that being juxtaposed with the Celestial Dragons giving petty orders to, and chastising, the Fleet Admiral of the Marines in the same page

Exactly, he reached the highest level of the marines and all it has brought him is stress, and on top of that he's discovered that this just makes him more exposed to the Celestial Dragons treating him like any other slave with the added indignity of them making GBS threads on his performance as well. Good, couldn't happen to a nicer guy :colbert:

Dawgstar posted:

I really enjoyed it just for getting to play around in that world/with those characters, but there's really not much to it beyond that novelty and the familiarity. Kart Barfunkel calling it a C Tier Dragonquest is definitely an apt description.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

it's really weird that the entire fishman island arc was basically about how otohime was right. because she wasn't right, as oda has continually demonstrated ever since. fishmen can't make peace with the celestial dragons because celestial dragons don't view anyone as people. you can't make peace with someone that sees you as livestock. sure, it's possible to get through to an individual here and there, but the monstrous society built around the celestial dragons have ways of dealing with such abnormalities.

I think Otohime's point was that the only way to ultimately be seen as people is to get your face out there and be seen by other people.

She's not wrong, she just didn't pay any attention to the prerequisite step of utterly destroying the Celestial Dragons.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Honestly, Fisher Tiger was one of those characters when they first described him that was like "Ah it's impossible he could be that cool." And then he was exactly that cool. And yes he held amazing nuance and the fact that his death is so tragic is so powerful. Also, I know some people who've only seen the live-action have questioned pushing what would be Hody's supremacy thoughts to Arlong's words, but considering that the showrunner has actively said Fishman Island is one of his least favorite arcs, I'm pretty sure that's a direct response to it. Rather than Hody being inspired to be so supremacist just from Arlong being a prick with poo poo opinions and Hody taking it and running with it, we can now see the direct throughline of where Hody got this Rhetoric from. This, again, sells the horror and sadness of Hody Jones the Fishman who inherited hatred to the point there no longer existed a "purity" that met his warped lense.

By introducing early Arlong's view and expanding his goal from "Let's just knock over this one island while we make sea maps to take the east blue slowly." to that of mafioso of the East Blue and that dangerous "Humans need to be reminded of their place beneath the superior Fishman." We see how not only does that vile hatred inspire Hody but "Arlong clearly didn't go far enough."

Now granted that's payoff in... what Season 7? But still, from a "Backporting future lore to try to correct a weak arc." I see it working.

Also, worth bringing up, that Season 1 was intended to be 10 episodes (Cut to 8 because of Covid causing the budget to run out.) Ignoring how one episode was intended to be Loguetown, I wonder what the remaining episode would have expanded on, or helped them decompress?

I think if Season 2 actually gets to be 10 it's a pretty easy get towards Alabasta.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

All this talk has me wondering if a Japanese manga about pirates with super powers isn't the best format for tackling complicated racial issues.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

luchadornado posted:

All this talk has me wondering if a Japanese manga about pirates with super powers isn't the best format for tackling complicated racial issues.

Would it be better if it was an American Comic about a space cop and robin hood?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

luchadornado posted:

Probably, but like someone else said, Fisher Tiger was done really well, and racism is kind of an inexorable part of any story where the supreme ruling class enslaves any group of humanoids they deem interesting enough, when the main character’s mission statement is at odds with said ruling class. I guess you could just exclusively have had the Celestial Dragons enslave people, but I kinda think it adds to the setting that them wanting other races as glorified pets has actively contributed to racism and made the world a worse place in a more insidious way than just the obvious problem of slavery.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
this weeks chapter is so good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/onepiecenetflix/status/1702306200497606755?t=HzDDLDL1qp1i4y87-61BMA&s=19

Wh

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
drat i can't believe they;re canceling the netflix AND the manga

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The One Piece has actually been found IRL

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"Yeah turns out I'm ultra rich, so I'm just gonna pay the actors myself"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Infinitum posted:

"Yeah turns out I'm ultra rich, so I'm just gonna pay the actors myself"

I was legitimately saying to a friend "I know Netflix is cancelheavy... but Eiichiro Oda is loving rich, so it's not he needs them to fund the production if they cancel the show he can really take it to any distribution service."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

do we know the nature of how the rights were sold? that is, if Netflix does not produce more content in a certain period of time, can he go somewhere else?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Chapter

Does anyone know what's going on with Kizaru in that last panel? It seems like his whole body is being stretched out in Gear 5 giant Luffy's hand.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 14, 2023

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Onmi posted:

I was legitimately saying to a friend "I know Netflix is cancelheavy... but Eiichiro Oda is loving rich, so it's not he needs them to fund the production if they cancel the show he can really take it to any distribution service."

odas rich but hes probably not rich enough to fund more than 1-2 seasons lol. if the show isnt paying for itself idk who else would pay for it

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Whoever recommended the teacher reading through OP, great call. The lady has a lot of really great analysis and is picking up a lot of themes surprisingly early. It's a fun listen, if listening to people read the series for the first time is your bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gfiNUx_FoY&t=1434s

anime was right posted:

odas rich but hes probably not rich enough to fund more than 1-2 seasons lol. if the show isnt paying for itself idk who else would pay for it

It's really, really hard to fathom that $7/mo is actually making Netflix enough money to make up for the millions upon millions this show costs. Even with additional income, I just kinda assume most big budget series are more about pride, ego, smoke and mirrors than actually being profitable. Can't imagine any show actually pays for itself.

–which is to say, I'm sure Oda can't finance it himself, but when it comes to reshoots I'm sure having a rich creator helps give him some input/ability to invest in more.

Hope the announcement is that they're getting picked up for six seasons, ala' Rick and Morty's network deal. Since when have dreams had to be realistic

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Find some eccentric rich guy to fund it like how the CEO of Nike funds all those Laika movies even though they bomb

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Chapter

Does anyone know what's going on with Kizaru in that last panel? It seems like his whole body is being stretched out in Gear 5 giant Luffy's hand.

I think the combination of Luffy being gigantic and reaching into the foreground and Kizaru being a tall fella just makes it a a bit weird of a shot, I don't think anything weird is going on otherwise.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Chapter

the admirals are very tall people

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

RuBisCO posted:

I think the combination of Luffy being gigantic and reaching into the foreground and Kizaru being a tall fella just makes it a a bit weird of a shot, I don't think anything weird is going on otherwise.

Oh, I just assumed it was something weird like his Awakening power causing Kizaru to stretch like a rubber toy in his hand considering everyone's eyes are popping out in the same scene. :eyepop:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Onmi posted:

Netflix's stuff that's usually highly regarded does seem to be mostly just distributed by them. (I'm thinking of Arcane here, which was funded mostly by Riot.)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Oh, I just assumed it was something weird like his Awakening power causing Kizaru to stretch like a rubber toy in his hand considering everyone's eyes are popping out in the same scene. :eyepop:

this is in fact exactly whats happening, and in the next chapter we will see kizaru be absolutely clowned on

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

okay I like the "kizaru stretch armstrong" explanation better, changing my answer to this

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

When are those light grabbing gloves going to come back in play, they made such a point of it earlier

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

RuBisCO posted:

I like how Luffy can make himself giant whenever now right before heading to Giant Island

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

lih posted:

some of those would either be impossibly condensed or require making the seasons longer to the point that you may as well just have two seasons.

I think the issue is that even a pie-in-the-sky most successful high budget streaming show ever is going to be stretching it to get to 10 seasons, and your proposed timeline only gets them to Wano in that time, which means minimum 2 seasons after that before you finish entirely. One big thing being that streaming production show timelines currently stretch longer than a season every year (Stranger Things if it manages to come out next year will make 5 seasons across 8 years) so it would take maybe 12-15 years by the time you get to some of these later arcs, by which time a lot of these actors are going to be getting well into their 40s (with Garp's actor getting into his 70s).

I think realistically you gotta end up planning for like 8 seasons max, and I think some entire arcs get the hard cut, especially the further out you get. Skypiea is one I feel like probably doesn't make the cut at all, you can pepper some of the lore stuff into the other seasons but ultimately you're not gaining new crew members or even interacting with the rest of the setting during this point so its easy to just skip ahead (the bonus being you get some new members like Franky a season sooner, but you do sacrifice some time with Robin getting to know the crew before her "betrayal"). I think post-time skip the cuts come even harder and faster because of how bloated the series becomes by then, but you end up getting a "best of" amalgamation of some of these later arcs.

On the other hand, I do think with such a successful first season it becomes an easier sell to inch up episode count per season. I think you can do Baroque Works in 9 eps with some streamlining and would love a really fleshed out Water 7/Enies Lobby (with some build up episodes at the beginning of the season) in 10.

bondster
May 6, 2007

https://x.com/onepiecenetflix/status/1702411899806392613?s=46&t=3P1kKR4qP_sXSRkPCqyxFg

Let’s loving goooooo!!!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Season 2 let's gooooooo

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
thank you king oda

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Now we just need that whole strike thing resolved in the favor of the workers!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
it's no late loguetown episode but gift horses and all that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

That is definitely the voice of someone chainsmoking for the last 26 years