Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

That and people getting naked. Oh, are we about to do some kind of ritual? Gotta be naked for that. Encountering a new culture? Oh, look, they're disrobing.

Just the chicks tho

I think we only see a few cases of male nudity, like Mat being balls out when the dark hounds attack in Rhuidean

Where's that copypasta from another turning when the White Tower is all dudes and Logain is Amyrlin banging his hog on the table to prove he's male?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

Just the chicks tho

I think we only see a few cases of male nudity, like Mat being balls out when the dark hounds attack in Rhuidean

The Aiel too sometimes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Or the only same sex relationships is woman and woman. Elaida's Keeper in KoD literally refers it as a "phase" if iirc.

Also, is the general theme of KoD or at least the thread connecting all of the plots getting along with the slavers?

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

DarkHorse posted:

Just the chicks tho

Where's that copypasta from another turning when the White Tower is all dudes and Logain is Amyrlin banging his hog on the table to prove he's male?

I believe there is a story that the actual IRL Pope had to sit on a chair with a hole in it so his zone could be manually inspected for the purposes of confirming that the candidate was a biological (in medieval speak) man, following the ascension of Pope Joan, although apparently this is - like so many batshit rumours - unfortunately a myth. I often wondered, though, if the Aes Sedai getting topless was, if not a parody of this, then at the very least a knowing reversal of roles.

'Duos habet, et bene pendentes.'

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

CuriousSymptoms posted:

'Duos habet, et bene pendentes.'

Kind of amusing that the gender of the person is not mentioned. So it could be “she has two of them, and they hang well”—which would still have been appropriate for Jordan’s ceremonies in WoT. My Latin isn’t strong enough to know if “duos” necessarily refers to a pair of masculine objects, unfortunately.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

The stuff with Matt and Tylin was also really bad, but, at least with that bit you can say that there was a purposeful attempt to highlight how poorly sexual assault is typically regarded in terms of disbelieving victims, victim blaming, playing it off as jokes, etc. The execution wasn't good but the intent was there.

Sadly, from what I've seen in interviews, the intent really wasn't there. RJ intended for it to be funny.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I forget if I've mentioned it, but on watching E1 again, in the meeting we see an Aes Sedai ring with a black stone, and the next time we see Liandrin she is fiddling with her ring, as though checking it's the right one.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If I was going to join a clandestine evil organization I would probably not bother to acquire visible symbols of my role in that organization (e.g. rings).

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

withak posted:

If I was going to join a clandestine evil organization I would probably not bother to acquire visible symbols of my role in that organization (e.g. rings).

It's all about symbols and style

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Gwaihir posted:

I think that particular plotline is just straight up the worst/lowest point of the books. Very minor spoilers, but, it stays bad all the way to the end, including the remnants in Sanderson's books.

The stuff with Matt and Tylin was also really bad, but, at least with that bit you can say that there was a purposeful attempt to highlight how poorly sexual assault is typically regarded in terms of disbelieving victims, victim blaming, playing it off as jokes, etc. The execution wasn't good but the intent was there.

Faile's stuff with Rolan and the brotherless and the entire captivity arc is just bad start to finish.

I appreciate the attempt to look at that plot through a more modern social lens, but I'm pretty confident that RJ never intended anything other than everyone having a good laugh at the idea of a woman inflicting sexual duress on a man. Men of RJ's age raised boys who are now men of my age to believe exactly that. I'm not saying the guy was a sex pest or anything, but I don't think there's any reason to gloss over his more distasteful generational assumptions.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The Wheel of Time turns, and Arguments come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Arguments that gave it birth comes again. In one Page, called the Six Hundred and Fifty-First Page by some, a Page yet to come, a Page long past, a post rose about the great spectre of Tylin. The Post was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

CuriousSymptoms posted:

He sure did love spanking, huh

Well he was a graduate of The Citadel after all

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Legends have faded to myth, and now comes another extended discussion of RJ’s sick, twisted and downright perverse enjoyment of boobs.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

NeurosisHead posted:

I appreciate the attempt to look at that plot through a more modern social lens, but I'm pretty confident that RJ never intended anything other than everyone having a good laugh at the idea of a woman inflicting sexual duress on a man. Men of RJ's age raised boys who are now men of my age to believe exactly that. I'm not saying the guy was a sex pest or anything, but I don't think there's any reason to gloss over his more distasteful generational assumptions.

I dunno, if you look at the books in cultural context I'd say it makes it even more obvious that RJ was trying to make a bit of a point about womanizing not being so fun when the tables are turned, just because of how attentive the rest of the books are to the male/female power dynamic. Doubly so because his friends are all "ohoho mat is getting a taste of his own medicine", mirroring roughly the reaction you'd be able to expect in that situation around that time

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah I completely believe that the goal was to show what happens when the tables turn. I've also heard a nice interpretation that a good indicator of "directly removes someone's bodily autonomy or agency" is "died". Tylin, anyone using compulsion, etc.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My takeaway on that part was also that we were supposed to have a sensible chuckle at Mat getting a taste of his own objectification medicine.

Moonlit Knight
Nov 26, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The Wheel of Time turns, and Arguments come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Arguments that gave it birth comes again. In one Page, called the Six Hundred and Fifty-First Page by some, a Page yet to come, a Page long past, a post rose about the great spectre of Tylin. The Post was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

This "it wasn't the beginning, there are no beginnings, it was a beginning" thing has always bothered me. Are there beginnings or aren't there?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

World beyond end. The "a beginning" is the start of this particular story, but it is by no means the beginning of everything.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

withak posted:

My takeaway on that part was also that we were supposed to have a sensible chuckle at Mat getting a taste of his own objectification medicine.

I thought it was the opposite since you have a whole scene where Nynaeve and Elayne get chewed out by Aviendha about it and apologize to Mat for being lovely. It feels weird that the scene exists and Nynaeve has a whole 'admit she's wrong to Mat and promises to talk to Tylin' moment if we're supposed to find it humorous.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Moonlit Knight posted:

This "it wasn't the beginning, there are no beginnings, it was a beginning" thing has always bothered me. Are there beginnings or aren't there?

There's no beginning or ending to the wheel of time, but there's beginnings to individual stories along the way.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I went back and read through the entire thread when I thought to finally look for it.

RJ sure as heck nailed that everything is cyclical. The same arguments show up, the same refuting points are brought up.

There are also a lot of really cool posts interspersed so, could be worse!

E: my two cents is RJ was trying to make commentary and ran it by Harriet. Both of them thought levity would be better but it didn’t always track.

I still prefer that to Sanderson having Mat wax poetic about her when he kills the Gholam. That bit was all him, and was…not the best.

RembrandtQEinstein fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 14, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

I went back and read through the entire thread when I thought to finally look for it.

RJ sure as heck nailed that everything is cyclical. The same arguments show up, the same refuting points are brought up.

There are also a lot of really cool posts interspersed so, could be worse!

E: my two cents is RJ was trying to make commentary and ran it by Harriet. Both of them thought levity would be better but it didn’t always track.

I still prefer that to Sanderson having Mat wax poetic about her when he kills the Gholam. That bit was all him, and was…not the best.

This is how you get Ishamael, he just wants to end it all so he never has to hear it again

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

This is how you get Ishamael, he just wants to end it all so he never has to hear it again

That is how I feel, having read all of those posts in a relatively short time and seeing many of the same posters having the same argument when somebody new brings it up.

Break the wheel. End it all.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I forget if I've mentioned it, but on watching E1 again, in the meeting we see an Aes Sedai ring with a black stone, and the next time we see Liandrin she is fiddling with her ring, as though checking it's the right one.

Liandrin can change the colour of her ring stone. If you go back and watch the cold open to S1E1, the first time she channels, there's a close up on her hand, and the stone in her ring turns from red to black. It happens so fast, you can barely see it, but it's there.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nine-gear crow posted:

Liandrin can change the colour of her ring stone. If you go back and watch the cold open to S1E1, the first time she channels, there's a close up on her hand, and the stone in her ring turns from red to black. It happens so fast, you can barely see it, but it's there.

which, you know, i love that she cares enough to do that

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Rarity posted:

If you're looking for bad… in the… books there's Faile…

:hai:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

anyways an hour til the show!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Barreft posted:

anyways an hour til the show!

In theory, at least!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

pik_d posted:

In theory, at least!

I saved the .de link so if they pull what they did last week I'll link it again

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
It sucks the season is already half-way over.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hughmoris posted:

It sucks the season is already half-way over.

Yeah I hate Amazon.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
Super pumped to see the fallout from the Lanfear stabbening. Please give me more Hopper. Please don't gently caress up Egwene in Falme.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Fauxshiz posted:

Super pumped to see the fallout from the Lanfear stabbening. Please give me more Hopper. Please don't gently caress up Egwene in Falme.

Pretty sure Falme fucks up Egwene fiercely, with lasting consequences.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Goofballs posted:

Legion does the Tel'aran'rhiod stuff perfectly, and the fight scene above would be out of the world for the Falme showdown or the Rahvin fight. When David attacks the Division in the first season is also great at super powerful channeler annihilates no magic soldiers, there's also when he melts that guys brain in Season 3 which is the same as really sucking at compulsion.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

It's up.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

holy poo poo moiraine

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

lmao "bitch". oh its on

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

eke out posted:

holy poo poo moiraine

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
Oh gently caress that was...casual and visceral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I'm only 20 minutes in, Lanfear is so goddamn good.