Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

So disappointed they didn't use OG tri-tööted tööt pieces in the rear section. e: I guess they don't make them anymore?

The original would have been out of scale for this model. Their solution is elegant, and it adds to the part count by like 14 pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

The original would have been out of scale for this model. Their solution is elegant, and it adds to the part count by like 14 pieces.

OK but one thing I don't worry too much about vis-à-vis Legos is scale.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I'm happy to report I got a reply from wicked brick. The extra parts I sent me were throwing me off but it turns out I did have the correct parts to put it together once they explain it better than the instruction manual. They also offered to send replacement parts for the parts that were scratched due to attempt to put it together, not sure how to get good pictures of scratched clear plexiglass. Once the sun comes up a little more hopefully that will help with some natural light.

So it was a little me and a little them.

edit: I got the pictures to show the damage and they are sending me new side pieces. I can't wait to get this thing finally done. Definitely going to use the American site if there's a next time.

Deus Ex Macklemore fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 14, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Flyinglemur posted:

I'm happy to report I got a reply from wicked brick. The extra parts I sent me were throwing me off but it turns out I did have the correct parts to put it together once they explain it better than the instruction manual. They also offered to send replacement parts for the parts that were scratched due to attempt to put it together, not sure how to get good pictures of scratched clear plexiglass. Once the sun comes up a little more hopefully that will help with some natural light.

So it was a little me and a little them.

Turn on your camera flash and take them head on

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Flyinglemur posted:

it turns out I did have the correct parts to put it together
So what the hell are 6 giant sheets of plexi for on that thing?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Carbohydrates posted:

If you follow the instructions you end up trapped in a transparent cube then the aliens come and add you to thier human zoo. It's really quite diabolical.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Literally A Person posted:

If you follow the instructions you end up trapped in a transparent cube then the aliens come and add you to thier human zoo. It's really quite diabolical.

Humans are always getting trapped in menageries.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Carbohydrates posted:

There are two extra large pieces. What got me was that you use three large pieces for the back piece and then one for the front.

The stack of three really confused the poo poo out of me, and they fit together VERY snuggly when you put it together.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wow. I like how these cases often cost more than the lego set.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
That’s wickedbricks for you

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
I really want to buy the F40 but I don’t want to spend 3x retail. Anyone built the set? Think it’s worth ~275? I think there’s too many Ferrari fans making this thing expensive, plus I guess it’s been retired for a long while.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know if it's worth that much, but it's one of my favorites. I haven't built the other creator expert cars yet because no room but I really enjoyed the F40.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've always loved Lego, but growing up, my family didn't have the money to throw towards it. Now that I'm an adult with disposable income, I really want to start a cool collection. Only issue is, I move around a lot. It's what has stopped me from getting anything for the last few years. If I do decide to cave and splurge on a bunch of cool Lego stuff, how do I go about keeping them safe during house moves?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sunk Dunk posted:

I really want to buy the F40 but I don’t want to spend 3x retail. Anyone built the set? Think it’s worth ~275? I think there’s too many Ferrari fans making this thing expensive, plus I guess it’s been retired for a long while.

I bought it on a whim at $99 when it was still in stores. It's a great set, though the tail is a tad easy to knock off.

$275 for a new set seems steep. On the other hand, it's not going to get any cheaper. And it's not going to stay the same.

You can get them sub $200 used. Good luck!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Qubee posted:

I've always loved Lego, but growing up, my family didn't have the money to throw towards it. Now that I'm an adult with disposable income, I really want to start a cool collection. Only issue is, I move around a lot. It's what has stopped me from getting anything for the last few years. If I do decide to cave and splurge on a bunch of cool Lego stuff, how do I go about keeping them safe during house moves?

Break them apart, then rebuild them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Qubee posted:

Never move.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
My kid is starting to get quite the Lego collection. Any tips to properly keep all the instruction booklets etc?
Used to just keep them in the boxes, but that takes up a lot of space and keeping all the boxes for those tiny sets gets old pretty fast.
I was thinking some sort of binder with plastic sleeves or whatever?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Wow. I like how these cases often cost more than the lego set.

And take months to ship! I know they're made to order, and they probably had a ton of orders after Christmas, but I ordered one for my Tallneck in January, and it took like four months to arrive

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

shut up blegum posted:

My kid is starting to get quite the Lego collection. Any tips to properly keep all the instruction booklets etc?

I keep them in one large box and it’s easier to handle than a bunch of different boxes. I also put unopened bags (like the second build for the bonsai tree) along with them.

Or throw all the manuals away and just use the digital copies from Lego.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Qubee posted:

Smaller sets can go into a big Ziplock, larger sets can go into garbage bags, those go into a box whose bottom you've taped up, set them carefully amongst themselves and then dump packing peanuts around them (or don't, don't let me tell you how to live your life).

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I moved all mine in a combination of disposable food storage containers, medium sized storage totes and all of that stuffed into a large bin. Bonus is you can sort them by type and just slap the lids on and put them away. Like this:

I have since added more containers and totes, and sorted much more thoroughly.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Phy posted:

Humans are always getting trapped in menageries.

Moopsy! :3:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I'm so excited. I was so excited.

I finished off a section of my sub in Studio, three levels top to bottom with cutouts for the bottom and middle level, all fitting together nicely in a modular-type construction and it looks (I think), really drat good.

Was going to make a bricklink order to build this proof of concept and told myself that if this didn't work I will give up and sell the thousands black bricks I have/will have when I do this. Went to BL to look for this piece, that I need 96 of JUST for this one section:

56 available total, all of them overseas. If someone had like, I don't know, 200 of them in Portigal then it might be worth my time. But I can't even find enough here to finish one section. So it's either:

-Back to the drawing board again to redo the entire design
-give up
-hope that someone here has any other resources I can look for in regards to a bunch of this piece

Pretty sure I'm going with option 1 with a strong leaning towards 2

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Only one in black per set of Jokerland produced- sorry man :(

That means I have one in storage, somewhere

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Could you make it work with technic curved panel pieces 11954/62531 or 24119?

other piece ideas:
18910 (which could flip up to show the inside)

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 14, 2023

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Is it new enough to be in bricks and pieces or whatever that service is called now?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What if you made the sub green? Someone in Czech Republic has 124 of those in green for 4 cents each.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

trevorreznik posted:

Could you make it work with technic curved panel pieces 11954/62531 or 24119?

other piece ideas:
18910 (which could flip up to show the inside)

I will check those out, especially if I go back to the design

Literally A Person posted:

Is it new enough to be in bricks and pieces or whatever that service is called now?

No, I checked there

Cojawfee posted:

What if you made the sub green? Someone in Czech Republic has 124 of those in green for 4 cents each.

I could go for green below The water line and just say that it was doing shallow water ops in the Gulf I suppose. Because when you do shallow water ops in warm temperatures, the seaweed grows on the side of the boat. It was pretty cool coming back from the Caribbean to fort Lauderdale because the manatees would come up and eat the grass off the side of the boat. Bonus points were gained when we would rig a fire hose top side and spray them down and they would roll over so we could get their bellies. Not everyone in the military is a horrible monster :-)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Rattle n spray

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I really do appreciate everyone's help and input. Whenever I talk to my wife about it her eyes glaze over.

I checked out those other curved pieces and I hadn't used them because they weren't a good fit. The hinged one was one I hadn't tried but I will keep it in mind when/if I redesign. I took a couple quick and dirty renders. The hull isn't perfectly round, but the one design I had that was more round was super brittle. It's hard to tell but these are four separate pieces.

There is a "band" or hull rib on the left hand side of the first picture. The lower level, mid level and top are all separate and sit on each other independantly. I was really excited that I was able to get them all to line up and with a very small mockup with pieces I do have, it seemed like it was going to work.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Looks good, but I still think you are going to end up with a lot of stability problems without building over a technic frame. Especially since you really want the full interior. I think you will have a much easier time with some sort of sturdy base to build off of.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

veni veni veni posted:

Looks good, but I still think you are going to end up with a lot of stability problems without building over a technic frame. Especially since you really want the full interior. I think you will have a much easier time with some sort of sturdy base to build off of.

I appreciate this and have kept that in the back of my head. Will now revisit it. I did mess around a bit with some technic pieces.

Definitely not doing a full interior, or at least I wasn't planning on it. This section had lower and middle level. Next section back was going to be middle and upper level. Engine room was going to be randomly open here and there for... Reasons. Maybe I could forego that plan and just go full on cut away. I dunno.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

If you’re redoing the whole thing you should really consider a technic frame. It’s how most large things are built in Lego for strength and weight reasons.

Look at like the bigger Star Wars ships and whatnot.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Thanks, I will!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Oh a good boat analogy would be like the keel, you know

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

I think the whole submarine thing is already keeling him.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
It's still less stressful/painful than the real thing. Well, for now anyway.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I feel like you’d be better off with a series (6? 8?) curved slopes mirrored to each other (so forming a U), radiating in spokes. Sorta like how the Saturn V did it but at a larger scale. It’s gonna need something funky and technic in any case to resemble the shape properly without being ridiculously exorbitantly expensive+heavy.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I did a dumb thing that I like nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Dumb. Yes
But also
Awesome