Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

They made practical snail puppets. Muppet Chopper isn't out of the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Grogu is the biggest little thing ever, Netflix would be smart and try and play that game too

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Netflix would be smart

See, here's the problem

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Taear posted:

How come there are no female fishmen?
I've googled and seen there ARE some, so what's going on there? Just felt a weird choice.

You mean the mermaids?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

bowmore posted:

You mean the mermaids?

There are both genders of fishpeople and there are both genders of mermaid. Same overall species though.

Edit: sorry, by both I just mean biological genders.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
at the very least so like detective pikachu with puppet assisted cg

that movie looks great also

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Hell yeah, give me more weird pirates, snail-thing dude.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I appreciate that they didn't bother to try and explain the snail things at all in the live action show.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I mean, they don't really explain them in the source material either. Denden Mushi simply are.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
It's just a dumb joke Oda put in. Dendenmushi is an old term in Japanese for snails, but by using different kanji he made it den (electric) den (communication) mushi (insect)

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I think there was some point where Oda explained them briefly in an ask the author thing. Just psychic snails that can imitate sounds.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
they shapeshift too. they own.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Speaking of, I loved Nami's little bluetooth snail.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Alacron posted:

Speaking of, I loved Nami's little bluetooth snail.

Mihawk was using one too when he was talking to Garp. I think that's going to take the place of the little handheld ones we see in the anime.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I hope Oda communicates exclusively through the creepy snail robit from now on.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's just a dumb joke Oda put in. Dendenmushi is an old term in Japanese for snails, but by using different kanji he made it den (electric) den (communication) mushi (insect)
Using snails to communicate long distance was a real (psuedoscientific) theory!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

SpartanIvy posted:

Mihawk was using one too when he was talking to Garp. I think that's going to take the place of the little handheld ones we see in the anime.

i was surprised when i learned they invented this kind for the show, they fit into the series universe so well

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I wonder if they'll mass produce den den mushi phones (or at least a limited quantity) that have a moving mouth when there's out put sound. I wanna see one sing death metal songs.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Waffleopolis posted:

I wonder if they'll mass produce den den mushi phones (or at least a limited quantity) that have a moving mouth when there's out put sound. I wanna see one sing death metal songs.

Yeah, OPLA branded/version prop products are huge market to tap for Netflix. They need to start rushing good screen accurate versions of stuff out to start raking in that extra dough.

What are their marketing cash cows, Stranger Things, Wednesday and Squid Games? OPLA should have those easily beat when it come to marketable variety of stuff.

Even if we are lucky to get six seasons up until after Marineford, maybe the series would actually still be popular enough to finish things out with 3-4 movies.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Waffleopolis posted:

Oooo can we give it the same facial hair as the person belting the vocals a la Mr Potato Head switch-and-swap?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I wonder if there's enough time to get cheap lovely costumes into Halloween stores

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Halloween costumes have long since shipped out to retailers, if they've not been sent out from china by like, midsummer, it's too late

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Decent odds of there being Luffy costumes at least (labeled as "Stretchy Pirate" or something like that) just since the anime is fairly popular.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
God please make Chopper a muppet
Do it

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Taear posted:

Do it

I hope he's just a kid with dumb looking horns. Because gently caress you, I guess?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Victorkm posted:

I hope he's just a kid with dumb looking horns. Because gently caress you, I guess?

They turn it into a sweet tooth crossover

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Taear posted:

Do it

People are so focused in on Muppet Chopper that they're missing the heavenly glory of a Super Sentai transformation into Dude In A Gorilla/Sasquatch costume.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I think Heavy Point is 100% a guy in a suit

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Brook is just

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dxIq8KxaL8

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

bowmore posted:

They turn it into a sweet tooth crossover
LOL at this because that actor was already in this show playing young Sanji.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Teek posted:

Yeah, OPLA branded/version prop products are huge market to tap for Netflix.

To respond to myself, random tweet I came across which appears to include some of the current OPLA merch out there:

https://twitter.com/JamiUwUs/status/1702505149456068728?s=20
Buggy bar better be in squares you can break off.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Nose isn't blue

smdh

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

the real issue with using a kid is they'll basically only be good for a single season unless they film multiple at once

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
At least they get some wriggle room with Chopper. He’s supposed to look sort of unnatural. The question is if they can do that in a charming/scary way (depending on form).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's series 20 and Luffy's actor is in his late 50s

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

This was great but made me remember being mad at how bad the cowboy bebop live action was

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

This was great but made me remember being mad at how bad the cowboy bebop live action was

I've literally been rotating this in the mind octagon since I finished OPLA. Like how do you gently caress up so badly

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Teek posted:

To respond to myself, random tweet I came across which appears to include some of the current OPLA merch out there:

https://twitter.com/JamiUwUs/status/1702505149456068728?s=20
Buggy bar better be in squares you can break off.

The only way to know if Marketing are fans or not is for someone to go on a terrifying adventure, and tell us if the gum-gum gummies taste like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Doc Fission posted:

I've literally been rotating this in the mind octagon since I finished OPLA. Like how do you gently caress up so badly

Easily. The people who worked on One Piece were not in fact, ashamed they were working on One Piece. They did not set out to "Make One Piece for a modern audience" or say "Actually, we don't really like One Piece." Or any of the usual signs of a poo poo-rear end adaption/show.

It's slightly off-topic but very recently I learned the current Showrunners for Power Rangers basically went "The reason this isn't doing as well as it used to and isn't bigger is because we're tied to Sentai, and when we're in meetings reviewing the footage how can we not laugh at the toy models or rubber suits?" And like... how are you meant to ever make something good if you're ashamed of what it is you're working on?

One Piece isn't good because it is a perfect 1-to-1 adaption, it's good because it carries the essence of what One Piece is. They don't try to be above it all by ladening it with irony-poisoned sarcasm. They don't have Luffy hoist the Anime accurate Jolly Roger and go "That's dumb and cartoony" and then make a 'modern one' that 'looks cooler'. There's no "Welcome to the Ouch Motherfucker" or an inability to let characters be vulnerable and open. There's no bizarre adherence to exacts from anime in the opposite direction (Ed in that One Scene). It carries the tone, the energy, and the heart, without being literal, made by a cast and crew who genuinely seem to like what they're doing.