Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Just cut the plastic hose and never worry about it again

until it leaks years from now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Moved into a new place with a one piece Toto toilet that’s been running. I tried changing the fill valve but the toilet is still running and now the water level is dipping below the new fill valve, causing it to gurgle and make noise.

Looks like I need to change the flush valve? It’s a dual flush system but since it’s a one piece toilet it should be pretty simple?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

dew worm posted:

Moved into a new place with a one piece Toto toilet that’s been running. I tried changing the fill valve but the toilet is still running and now the water level is dipping below the new fill valve, causing it to gurgle and make noise.

Looks like I need to change the flush valve? It’s a dual flush system but since it’s a one piece toilet it should be pretty simple?

Well, on a regular toilet, if a toilet is running, that means that either the flapper is leaking or the fill valve is set too low and it's running over the overflow tube.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Or the fill valve is broken and leaking out the top.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

dew worm posted:

Put some food coloring in the tank and come back in a bit. If the coloring is in the bowl, you need a new flapper.

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

There’s a brown streak where the water is running from, does that matter?

I don’t believe the water is going above the overflow.

There’s no flapper visible - I’m pretty sure this is the generic replacement part for the flush valve.

Toilet Flush Valves 2-Inch Replacement Valve Kit Assembly for One Piece Dual Flush Drain Valve Repair Compatible with TOTO THU338N https://a.co/d/bgPAOm8

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
Is there a recommendation for a good, basic toilet? I don't need hidden anchor bolts or led lights or any of that. I do have a preference for solid (not thin plastic) seats since I dump with a great deal of torque. Any favorites?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
I suppose water heaters fall under the plumbing umbrella too.

Water heater stopped making hot water about a day ago, after some inspection the thermopile voltage low light is blinking on the control unit of the water heater.

Well, I did with any self-respecting goon would do, and went and bought a new one from my local hardware supply store and installed it.

Well, after installation, the thermopile voltage low light is still blinking.

99% sure the burner unit/thermopile was installed correctly as well.

What are my next troubleshooting steps here before I go out and buy a new burner unit?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

TacoHavoc posted:

Is there a recommendation for a good, basic toilet? I don't need hidden anchor bolts or led lights or any of that. I do have a preference for solid (not thin plastic) seats since I dump with a great deal of torque. Any favorites?

I like the Kohler ones, not terribly expensive and flush well. Also chair height toilet are awesome. This thread recommends toto a lot, but they didn't get partner approval due to looks.

Wicaeed posted:

I suppose water heaters fall under the plumbing umbrella too.

Water heater stopped making hot water about a day ago, after some inspection the thermopile voltage low light is blinking on the control unit of the water heater.

Well, I did with any self-respecting goon would do, and went and bought a new one from my local hardware supply store and installed it.

Well, after installation, the thermopile voltage low light is still blinking.

99% sure the burner unit/thermopile was installed correctly as well.

What are my next troubleshooting steps here before I go out and buy a new burner unit?
Not sure on the low voltage light, but I had something similar happen and it ended up being the gas valve. Are you able to light the pilot or does it just go off immediately?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Rakeris posted:

I like the Kohler ones, not terribly expensive and flush well. Also chair height toilet are awesome. This thread recommends toto a lot, but they didn't get partner approval due to looks.

Not sure on the low voltage light, but I had something similar happen and it ended up being the gas valve. Are you able to light the pilot or does it just go off immediately?

The pilot apparently lights (I haven't been able to visually confirm this though) for a short time (maybe 10 seconds) and then starts blinking with the Low Thermopile Voltage pattern maybe 2 or 3 times, then shuts off.

Again I haven't been able to visually see the pilot light, so maybe that means it's not turning on.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
This feels like a dumb question, but is there any difference between a "short" water heater and a regular one, other than that one is, uh, shorter? We've got a "short" water heater currently, but by my measurements there's enough space to put in a "regular" water heater by just cutting the pipes and exhaust short, and not having to worry about where any of the existing elbows or valves are. My guess is this is just what was on the truck when they needed it replaced last time around, but want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot somehow picking up a regular height water heater to do a DIY replacement (with some assistance).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

This feels like a dumb question, but is there any difference between a "short" water heater and a regular one, other than that one is, uh, shorter? We've got a "short" water heater currently, but by my measurements there's enough space to put in a "regular" water heater by just cutting the pipes and exhaust short, and not having to worry about where any of the existing elbows or valves are. My guess is this is just what was on the truck when they needed it replaced last time around, but want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot somehow picking up a regular height water heater to do a DIY replacement (with some assistance).

The short ones are just fatter. It's entirely for packaging.

Remember, the anode is nearly the height of the water heater and comes out in one piece. The replacements are 3/4-piece (I think there are some flexible ones too). So if you don't have at least 1/3 of the height over the water heater you don't have sufficient service room. That could be why a short was installed, but it's more likely your guess is correct.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

FISHMANPET posted:

Are you talking about the half height ones, like 40 gallons? If so, then the difference is capacity. Short electric ones will only have one heating element. That's about it for differences.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kid sinister posted:

Are you talking about the half height ones, like 40 gallons? If so, then the difference is capacity. Short electric ones will only have one heating element. That's about it for differences.

I took the question as comparing an "80 gallon" with an "80 gallon short".

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Looking at what Menards sells, they've got plenty of options in both short and regular for both 40 and 50 gallon options so it's not just smaller capacity. There are a few outliers that are radically different sizes for mobile homes and such, but there seems to be a "standard" where the short models are about 4 feet tall, and the regular models a bit over 5 feet.

Good call on the anode, I hadn't thought about that. The basement ceiling height is around 7 feet so I'll have to measure again to see how much clearance there would be.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

Good call on the anode, I hadn't thought about that. The basement ceiling height is around 7 feet so I'll have to measure again to see how much clearance there would be.

Remember you only need to clear a little over 1/3 of that height to install the new one. You can just cut the old one in pieces as you take it out.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
And since most people never change the anode or do any other kind of water heater maintenance, you can just get a 7 footer!!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

And since most people never change the anode or do any other kind of water heater maintenance, you can just get a 7 footer!!

Those people aren't asking questions like that in places like this.

Oh....right :thejoke:

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Rakeris posted:

Yeah this turned out to be the gas valve of the control unit itself, fortunately it was still under warranty, and I have a parts authorization # that gets me a replacement unit if I can find it locally :success:

Out of curiosity what type of thread sealant is on these threads? Is there a special gas thread sealant that I need to get to perform this installation?

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Yes look for pipe dope or PTFE tape specified for use with natural gas. Where I am the tape's usually yellow but it does vary.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Wicaeed posted:

Yeah this turned out to be the gas valve of the control unit itself, fortunately it was still under warranty, and I have a parts authorization # that gets me a replacement unit if I can find it locally :success:

Out of curiosity what type of thread sealant is on these threads? Is there a special gas thread sealant that I need to get to perform this installation?

Yes, there's absolutely a special gas type.

The flax thread is always the same, but requires a special pipe dope that doesn't dry out with time(here its usually in green as opposed to blue packaging), and the teflon tape also requires a special type(once again, usually green rather than blue packaging and three times the price). The stuff that can be used for gas and compressed air will also work for water, mind you.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

I think I've discovered why my kitchen faucet cold water has such low pressure. This is one of the pull down, single handle faucets, with supplies built-in.

Is there a way to replace the supply line on this kind of faucet? Or would I need to replace the whole thing?

Of course I've also discovered there are no shut-offs here.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Jenkl posted:

I think I've discovered why my kitchen faucet cold water has such low pressure. This is one of the pull down, single handle faucets, with supplies built-in.

Is there a way to replace the supply line on this kind of faucet? Or would I need to replace the whole thing?

Of course I've also discovered there are no shut-offs here.

Take it off. That blockage is near enough to the end to check it out with a flashlight. The hose might have just kinked on installation and can still be salvaged.

As for no shut offs, Brasscraft makes some valves that don't require cutting pipes. https://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCr...FX-C1/203309315

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 10, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jenkl posted:

This 100% depends on the exact faucet. I've had ones where those lines are screwed into the top of the faucet as well as exceptionally similar looking but cheaper versions where they were crimped into the head of the faucet in a way that they're just not repairable.

Also, if you have enough length you can cut the bad part off and put a new compression fitting end on it. I don't know exactly what that style/kind would be called, but no doubt they exist and can be ordered relatively cheaply.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Curious to know if the other end of that hose is crimped to the faucet, or if it is a standard supply line which can be simply (relative to working in the tight confines under a sink can be...) removed & replaced.

I would first loosen the nut & see if it can't be unkinked. That it is kinked leads me to believe that the ferrule that the nut rides on is no longer letting the nut ride around it, though it could simply be working too fast/one-handed/incompetence of the installer.

When to re-tighten it, you may need a pair of pliers or vise-grips (exerting the lightest force necessary) to keep the ferrule from spinning as you tighten the nut & twisting the hose again.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 10, 2023

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

I'm going to start by adding some shut offs. I'll investigate the connection before re-attaching and see what I can see.

Once I have working shut-offs, and assuming it's not something simple, I'll look at dismantling the fixture to see if the hoses are replaceable or not

It is this faucet: https://www.kohler.ca/ca/arise-arti...ets/1295149.htm

Unfortunately I couldn't see any indication on their site that they are removable lines.

Actually cutting and recapping the existing braided steel braid feels like it should be doable but I've yet to find the right tools/parts to do it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jenkl posted:

It is this faucet: https://www.kohler.ca/ca/arise-arti...ets/1295149.htm

Unfortunately I couldn't see any indication on their site that they are removable lines.

It should be for a $500 faucet. In typical Kohler fashion the diagram is incomplete and the valve is discontinued. What a garbage company.

I'd hit them up for the lifetime warranty. They'll probably have to replace the whole thing with whatever the new revision is with yet another "universal" we swear this is the last one we're really gonna stick with it this time valve in it.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Motronic posted:

It should be for a $500 faucet. In typical Kohler fashion the diagram is incomplete and the valve is discontinued. What a garbage company.

I'd hit them up for the lifetime warranty. They'll probably have to replace the whole thing with whatever the new revision is with yet another "universal" we swear this is the last one we're really gonna stick with it this time valve in it.

I experienced the hell that is them changing poo poo for no reason, completely ruining any repairability, with a Moen shower valve. gently caress these people.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Based on the Specifications page/diagram, the two flex hoses are permanently attached to the faucet. If the twist doesn't come out when the hose is straightened out,

Motronic posted:

I can't take the high ground since I bought a Kingston Brass kitchen faucet & the ceramic cartridges get stiff within a couple years, do not cross-reference with any other brands, and are rapidly approaching unobtainum status. I buy them when-and wherever I can find them, to build up a supply. Plumbing supply houses do not stock them.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 11, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

PainterofCrap posted:

I can't take the high ground since I bought a Kingston Brass kitchen faucet & the ceramic cartridges get stiff within a couple years, do not cross-reference with any other brands, and are rapidly approaching unobtainum status. I buy them when-and wherever I can find them, to build up a supply. Plumbing supply houses do not stock them.

My personal approach for anything plumbing-related is that unless what I have is something that has an extremely special design I don't want to lose, or otherwise some sort of very special qualities(like being super expensive, like a home water softening plant or some such), once its at an age of 5+, I'm very likely to just replace the drat thing than trying to repair it. Half the time the necessare spare parts cost about half as much as a new [thing] anyway, and doing a full replace is less work than wrestling it open and fiddling with small parts inside.

Especially when it comes to toilets, I can replace a toilet in about five minutes, with most of that being spent swearing as I try to navigate the new and old toilet through the building without breaking anything, but fiddling around inside the cistern can take me the better part of a day since there's ALWAYS some part thats uncooperative.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
getting sick of the bullshit of countertop water filter pitchers and i'm curious if it's worth it to step up to an under-sink filtration setup?

i bought a pur pitcher 6 months ago and all three filters in the new 3-pack take hours to filter a single pitcher worth of water. gently caress this trash.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

getting sick of the bullshit of countertop water filter pitchers and i'm curious if it's worth it to step up to an under-sink filtration setup?

i bought a pur pitcher 6 months ago and all three filters in the new 3-pack take hours to filter a single pitcher worth of water. gently caress this trash.

RO is great, you'll never want to go back.

I highly recommend https://purewaterproducts.com - they just build systems from commodity parts, so you're not locked into a particular brand. Support has been pretty great as well.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

devicenull posted:

RO is great, you'll never want to go back.

I highly recommend https://purewaterproducts.com - they just build systems from commodity parts, so you're not locked into a particular brand. Support has been pretty great as well.

Thank you, this looks really good. I think a triple filter will do, reverse osmosis looks like it's more than I actually need. The water isn't terrible here just want less fuss or waiting for water to filter.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I am looking to install a french drain in my backyard, with my plan to terminate the pipe into the gutter draining system for the house, which flows out to the street not into the sewer system (as a side note). Here's a picture of where my gutter pipe enters the below ground bit, I am planning to dig out the hole more for easier working of course.

If I use this wye/bend piece to create a connection point for the french drain, is that the best way to go about it or should I use some different combination of pipe pieces?

I would plan to get a 3" socket saver drill bit so I can remove the straight pipe piece, drill out the inside of the in-ground connection point, and attach the wye/bend piece.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

tangy yet delightful posted:

I am looking to install a french drain in my backyard, with my plan to terminate the pipe into the gutter draining system for the house, which flows out to the street not into the sewer system (as a side note). Here's a picture of where my gutter pipe enters the below ground bit, I am planning to dig out the hole more for easier working of course.

If I use this wye/bend piece to create a connection point for the french drain, is that the best way to go about it or should I use some different combination of pipe pieces?

I would plan to get a 3" socket saver drill bit so I can remove the straight pipe piece, drill out the inside of the in-ground connection point, and attach the wye/bend piece.

The links don't seem to work, but for cutting what looks like a cast iron piece of pipe, I would recommend one of these(or something similar, they come in a number of variants):

It's most likely to give you a nice, neat cut and prevent the pipe cracking or splitting in any way. If you cut a bit above the female part of the lower pipe, you also shouldn't need to "drill out" anything from the lower pipe, you should just be able to pull the remnant of the upper one out. If it's just waste water, at most it'll be sealed with a bit of plumber's putty or, if old enough, a bit of tar or soft lead. If it's PVC it might be glued together, but that would still be rare for a large drain pipe, they're usually just shoved together since basic principles of gravity and the occasional rubber gasket keep the water going where you want it to and there's rarely enough pressure to give it other fun ideas.

A Y or T piece just above the lower pipe's female end seems like a perfectly normal way to handle it, I can't see any reason to do it any other way. If the drain's some distance away, you might want a T piece instead of a Y piece to make sure you have enough drop over distance to work with.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Huh those are just home depot links not sure why they didn't work, anyway appreciate you taking a look at it, from fondling the pipes in the picture I'm pretty sure it's all plastic and not cast iron. Good to know that most likely not glued, I'll probably still buy the drill bit to have on hand when I go to tackle this project and then return it if it ends up not being needed.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Link works for me. If the pipe is PVC, then it will work just fine.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

tangy yet delightful posted:

Something that is kind of annoying is that you won't have enough pipe to set into the fitting, unless you are able to lift the pipe up and slide it down into the flange. So keep that in mind. You may end up using a fernco rubber fitting or a slip joint to splice some pipe together, so also put a chunk of 3" pipe on your list. In longer words just in case that was lost: cut out the pipe, glue the wye on a stub you left on the bottom PVC, and slide the top pipe back into it IF it is able to be lifted and dropped. Plan your cut accordingly. If you can't drop it, cut a longer section out, and glue in a stub to the top of the wye that matches the pipe above and put the slip/repair fitting on, then put it in place and glue together.

IMO don't buy that socket drilling until you absolutely need it. Plumbers typically melt the fittings out, and there's also a chance you can just pull it out because it's not glued (never was or glue failed) on any job you do. It just seems like something you'd buy and spend $20 and have it around forever and never use or use once and take up space the rest of the time.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Great info! The top pipe piece is maybe 2-3 feet long and the gutter downspout just slides into it so I should be able to get enough vertical movement to keep this connection on the simpler side of things but I do enjoy buying lots of parts and then returning things I don't need so adding to my list in case we have to do things the harder way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Why do plumbing sockets come in sizes that aren't common with any other sockets? I'm referring to the sets that are like, "Socket SAE sizes: 21/32 in., 27/32 in., 29/32 in., 31/32 in., 1-1/32 in., 1-3/32 in., 1-5/32 in., 1-9/32 in., 1-11/32 in., 1-7/16 in.". I get that the obvious answer is that is what size the nuts are, but why don't the nuts use more standard sizes in 1/8ths or 1/16ths?