Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Plutonis posted:

finding out that Thedas stands for The D(ragon) A(ge) S(etting) made me so angry. kill bioware

they have to be destroyed. but lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It was a placeholder but nobody came up with a better name before launch of the first game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The race of dogmatic religious fanatics named after the Qur'an were described as "Militant Islamic Borg" by their writer. Maybe let the Thedas thing slide when Bioware has that particular yikes under their writing belt.

Dragon Age 2 was a mistake.

EDIT: I just remembered that the entire plot regarding the Qunari in DA2 revolved around Isabella stealing their holy book for shits and giggles so they decide to launch a jihad against the city to get it back.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 15, 2023

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Plutonis posted:

finding out that Thedas stands for The D(ragon) A(ge) S(etting) made me so angry. kill bioware
what the gently caress

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Plutonis posted:

lol

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Plutonis posted:

what the

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Plutonis posted:

BioWare has died at least twice now.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I've never bioed my ware before...

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Meowywitch posted:

I've never bioed my ware before...

Never once took one of those toilets for sale that are set up on the store floor for a test run?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Never once took one of those toilets for sale that are set up on the store floor for a test run?

No but I do know somebody who did

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Plutonis posted:

jfc

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

important watching for the XXX chat thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0App7QizQCU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Umm that videos age restricted

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FartRomancer.EXE posted:

important watching for the XXX chat thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0App7QizQCU
been thinking its time for my annual sex house rewatch. I miss when the onion used to be good

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
General question regarding singing in anime. Is it considered standard practice for a voice actor to be expected to sing when their characters sing ala Paige O'Hara in Beauty and the Beast or is it more common to have a voice actor do the talky bits and then a singer soundalike to do the singing bits ala Matthew Broderick/Joseph Williams in Lion King?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

whenever an anime casts separate speaking and singing voices, almost always seems to me that they cast the singing voice first and then realize they can't act and need an actor, rather than realizing their actor can't sing. I guess thats the opposite of disney movies

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

homeless snail posted:

whenever an anime casts separate speaking and singing voices, almost always seems to me that they cast the singing voice first and then realize they can't act and need an actor, rather than realizing their actor can't sing. I guess thats the opposite of disney movies

I wonder what the stage-to-voice acting pipeline is like in Japan. I know that quite a few voice actors in the anglosphere got their start doing stage work where you pretty much have to rely on your voice to convey information since the people at the back won't be making out the complexities of your facial expressions. It's a different skill set to be sure but it has a fair amount of overlap.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Or if music is a large part of the anime, the singing voice is someone in the music industry who would be more available and able to do stuff like record albums and do live shows.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
western musical films have begun to simply cast actors who cannot sing and give them difficult voice parts nonetheless and its pretty funny

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Plutonis posted:

dark lol

I got Ace Combat 7 on like an 80% sale so it should be pretty fun to play an AC after I finish with the AC I'm playing atm (and also finish Octopath 2 while I'm at it).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I was thinking about junna as mikumos singing voice in macross delta. who cant act for poo poo. tbf she was 14 when delta started but she still can't act for poo poo a decade later either

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And the actors who cannot sing do stuff that they usually do for acting but is terrible for singing, like Hugh Jackman dehydrating himself for muscle definition when he was playing Valjean

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ohtori Akio posted:

western musical films have begun to simply cast actors who cannot sing and give them difficult voice parts nonetheless and its pretty funny

Nah the best part is when they cast actors who can't sing and then pair them up against trained singers who run circles around them.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

Nah the best part is when they cast actors who can't sing and then pair them up against trained singers who run circles around them.

new west side story was extremely this for the two leads lol

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

And the actors who cannot sing do stuff that they usually do for acting but is terrible for singing, like Hugh Jackman dehydrating himself for muscle definition when he was playing Valjean
tbf the les mis movie is extremely not about good singing. people make fun of it for that, I like it though

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Most seiyuu tend to do the singing themselves, only case I can really remember where a show actually had a different singing voice and character voice for a character was Kongming, though I'm sure there are probably others I've seen but didn't realise

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

The race of dogmatic religious fanatics named after the Qur'an were described as "Militant Islamic Borg" by their writer. Maybe let the Thedas thing slide when Bioware has that particular yikes under their writing belt.

Dragon Age 2 was a mistake.

EDIT: I just remembered that the entire plot regarding the Qunari in DA2 revolved around Isabella stealing their holy book for shits and giggles so they decide to launch a jihad against the city to get it back.

It's considered a bad action if you call Isabella out on this and the game really wants you to feel bad if you tell her to gently caress off lol. What a terrible game.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

BlitznBurst posted:

Most seiyuu tend to do the singing themselves, only case I can really remember where a show actually had a different singing voice and character voice for a character was Kongming.

seems common when the show is strictly about singing.
I believe Carol and Tuesday split up the singing and talking roles too

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's considered a bad action if you call Isabella out on this and the game really wants you to feel bad if you tell her to gently caress off lol. What a terrible game.

The game also wants you to feel bad if you tell the lunatic Anders to gently caress off after he does fantasy 9/11 on a church.

GateOfD posted:

This one I can understand because the songs are all in English and casting someone who can act in Japanese and also sing fluently in a different language seems like a logistical challenge.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

homeless snail posted:

tbf the les mis movie is extremely not about good singing. people make fun of it for that, I like it though

I mean yes, but also dehydrating yourself and then singing, even badly, is extremely bad for you lol

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

anyway its very funny when they do a skit at a macross delta concert and junna goes and sits in the background and looks bored while the other 4 girls + the one that does mikumo's speaking voice do their thing

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

homeless snail posted:

i get that and appreciate it for what it is but to me les mis (the show in general) is about hearing really good vocalists, jvj especially, murder those hard songs

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

they have done things with the two mikumos but, its not nearly as good as hayashi and fukuyama doing dueling basaras in a macross 7 show

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

GateOfD posted:

Well in C&T's case it's cause the songs were in English (except for the one French one). I guess Kongming's were as well, though uh, I wouldn't say Eiko's singer had particularly great English either lol. Though that might just be on the lyrics more than the singer herself

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Rewatching Horimiya with the dub this time. It's pretty solid and the actors are nailing the all important Dudes Rock energy the main cast has.

EDit: also one of the google auto-fills for Horimiya is "Is horimiya toxic"

People really cannot handle a slightly rude woman, can they?

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 15, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

started rewatching a few Nodame Cantabile episodes.
music aside, the humor just hits well

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i bring this video as a peace offering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koJU60H66Q8

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i hope bocchi games

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎