Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Vim Fuego posted:

Why do you need seals between rooms in your house? Is this thing taking off to space at some point?

More likely he's going to fly out everyone that's ever shitposted in this thread and then pump all the oxygen out of that room while he watches the 35 hardwired webcams from the next room over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Like I get that you don't have to. But just when I drill down into how a house should be it feels like its a consistent approach.

Like, individual rooms get thermostats. The underfloor heating zones are separated to rooms and individually controllable. Like if you're able to have these things be separate, and controllable, then it should follow through that other environmental things should be too. And that it should all happen in a synergistic, integrated way where you don't have to faff around with it on a day to day basis.

Also like the sound benefits of having rooms isolated from one another goes hand in hand with the physical logistics of delivering this so its not like wasted effort, it has those benefits too.

Watched a youtube earlier of a guy trying to get an AI to manage his home automation and I absolutely love that idea. I'll just set some ground rules, not even sure I should need to do that and the AI should have the input it needs to cater any room to its occupants desires/needs, like it should react better than I could as to what to do to satisfy the occupants. Yes, maybe the Asimov 3 rules need to be in there. We'll see how it goes.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

99 is going to be murdered by his own house

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's all fine and everything NJAN99 but in practical use, most people really don't care if one room can be accurately held at 2 degrees C cooler than another, a little drift up and down via a gap under the door makes no practical difference. Moreover, basically every human living indoors in the world either lives alone, or puts up with hearing a bit of the other humans they live with, and spending a huge amount of time and effort to eliminate that is not a major concern for most of them.

It'll be interesting to see, though. Perhaps in the end it'll be worth the several thousand pounds extra you're spending, to not hear all the other occupants of your home.

tilp
Apr 7, 2010
Are these blocks the same ones they make schools out of?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
No. Different stuff.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Like I get that you don't have to. But just when I drill down into how a house should be it feels like its a consistent approach.

Like, individual rooms get thermostats. The underfloor heating zones are separated to rooms and individually controllable. Like if you're able to have these things be separate, and controllable, then it should follow through that other environmental things should be too. And that it should all happen in a synergistic, integrated way where you don't have to faff around with it on a day to day basis.

Also like the sound benefits of having rooms isolated from one another goes hand in hand with the physical logistics of delivering this so its not like wasted effort, it has those benefits too.

Watched a youtube earlier of a guy trying to get an AI to manage his home automation and I absolutely love that idea. I'll just set some ground rules, not even sure I should need to do that and the AI should have the input it needs to cater any room to its occupants desires/needs, like it should react better than I could as to what to do to satisfy the occupants. Yes, maybe the Asimov 3 rules need to be in there. We'll see how it goes.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

That's all fine and everything NJAN99 but in practical use, most people really don't care if one room can be accurately held at 2 degrees C cooler than another, a little drift up and down via a gap under the door makes no practical difference. Moreover, basically every human living indoors in the world either lives alone, or puts up with hearing a bit of the other humans they live with, and spending a huge amount of time and effort to eliminate that is not a major concern for most of them.

It'll be interesting to see, though. Perhaps in the end it'll be worth the several thousand pounds extra you're spending, to not hear all the other occupants of your home.

I know I have walked myself down a weird garden path to an extent now but have I spent that much on it... lol yeah probably. When you add it all up. Its awkward. Like I was keen to commit to "a way of doing things". But I never really figured out exactly what I was trying to achieve. so then you try to over provide sensors/capabilities/etc to cover the holes in your thinking. Possibly when you've been going this long you're subconsciously trying to invent reasons why this is taking so long so stay committed.

A current example is the finally buying the very simple access hatches in the loft for all the electrics/control stuff. From the off the loft hasn't been a decided thing, like what is it? then sort of features bloat. Its now sort of a room. a ladder up? no, now a spiral staircase.

The only good thing I did here was initially decide to airtight the PIR all the way up to the ridge from each of the eaves.

So now I'm having to fit all the access hatches which I'd assumed would be peanuts money. To start with I had 2 hatches. I've ended up with 7. each with different sizes/requirements. To buy custom size hatches for all these was coming out at 800quid! ffs. So I've bought clearance ones and make it work. Only spent around 250quid. But still a few days of hassle. and 250quid!

Like if this was more figured out from before I would have probably made more of an effort to bring all these back to the plant room or the lovely loft.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Somewhat disappointed that the access hatch doesn't lead to a jeffries tube, honestly.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Arrath posted:

Somewhat disappointed that the access hatch doesn't lead to a jeffries tube, honestly.

Theres one on either side that does provide said access.

Its why I stopped the data cage and power trunk early

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

oh and I haven't said about the making GBS threads thing

so I was in the loft the other day. trying to stay out of the way. lad's radio had some issue which annoyed them. much more chatting

including. that theyre all making GBS threads somewhere on site. behind a big bush

I'm not sure which bush this would be.

I wasn't prepared to come storming down and demand to know where all the poo poo was.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Apologies if this has been addressed but how do you plan to make the spiral staircase airtight?

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

One advantage of the block walls is there's no way they can leave their piss jugs in your wall.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

oh and I haven't said about the making GBS threads thing

so I was in the loft the other day. trying to stay out of the way. lad's radio had some issue which annoyed them. much more chatting

including. that theyre all making GBS threads somewhere on site. behind a big bush

I'm not sure which bush this would be.

I wasn't prepared to come storming down and demand to know where all the poo poo was.

did you not provide an on site break room with water closet to your work crew, somehow?

e. and biscuits

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Vim Fuego posted:

Why do you need seals between rooms in your house? Is this thing taking off to space at some point?
Incredibly noxious farts

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

NotJustANumber99 posted:

This does sound pretty great, and it's the sort of thing you can only do if you're building your own place.

I've definitely been in buildings with ducted air conditioning where it's very hard to have two rooms both be comfortable temperatures at the same time.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Splode posted:

This does sound pretty great, and it's the sort of thing you can only do if you're building your own place.

I've definitely been in buildings with ducted air conditioning where it's very hard to have two rooms both be comfortable temperatures at the same time.

The increase in computer power/heat has not helped.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Theres one on either side that does provide said access.

Its why I stopped the data cage and power trunk early

Oh hell yeah

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I thought exactly the opposite. No room should have a thermostat. It would be wasteful. The heat pump produces the energy and does not know about the thermostats. So the heat pump decides what the house needs and by golly all that energy will be be going out into the floor in every room and nothing will be held back. If the house is too cold or warm, the heat pump is adjusted until it works perfectly, every room the same temp (more or less).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

I thought exactly the opposite. No room should have a thermostat. It would be wasteful. The heat pump produces the energy and does not know about the thermostats. So the heat pump decides what the house needs and by golly all that energy will be be going out into the floor in every room and nothing will be held back. If the house is too cold or warm, the heat pump is adjusted until it works perfectly, every room the same temp (more or less).

No, don't like that. There are some with their own heat sources and rooms that might not be used for weeks at a time, or certainly at different times of day. It's both a waste of energy to baseline across them all and removes the ability for personal preferences in rooms for example overnight. Like babies and poo poo versus olds grandparents.

Also I'm going to use the colour change led strips to signal temperature when you adjust a thermostat. If there's no thermostats I can't play with the LEDs

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Inspector 34 posted:

Apologies if this has been addressed but how do you plan to make the spiral staircase airtight?

Hmmm...

The hallway and loft are currently essentially one big airtight zone. It's not ideal. Possibly all visitors will be offered/forced to don full body hazmat suits to travel between rooms.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

No, don't like that. There are some with their own heat sources and rooms that might not be used for weeks at a time, or certainly at different times of day. It's both a waste of energy to baseline across them all and removes the ability for personal preferences in rooms for example overnight. Like babies and poo poo versus olds grandparents.

Also I'm going to use the colour change led strips to signal temperature when you adjust a thermostat. If there's no thermostats I can't play with the LEDs

I scaled my house so there are no unused rooms. I keep it on the cool side in winter and supplement with firewood. In summer it's basically a passive house. So babies can bundle up and grandparents can too, but there's no room for them anyway and they live close enough to go home.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The heat pump doesn't mind whether the thermostats are letting water through ineach room, it just keeps the hot-side water at a constant temperature. If everything is warm enough the pump just shuts off.

Not wanting to be able to control the heat in each room is a bit odd imo. People like their bedrooms at different temperatures. I bet the system doesn't perfuse each circuit equally either.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Our heat pump bases what it does on external temperature sensor, not an internal one. I think people are weirdly spoiled to bother about a few degrees here or there.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I think people are weirdly spoiled to bother about a few degrees here or there.

Weirdly spoiled?! You don't even let them stay over!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Hey if they wanna sleep on the couch...

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Towards L shape architecture: never really figured out exactly what I was trying to achieve

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Our heat pump bases what it does on external temperature sensor, not an internal one. I think people are weirdly spoiled to bother about a few degrees here or there.

If you look in the settings you'll probably find it does both. You set the curve to modulate what the heating circuit temp gets to based on the outside temp.

https://pubdb.bfe.admin.ch/en/publication/download/9982

Also lol "spoiled" you must be fun to be around

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I seem to have a real knack for making people angry with me over the internet anyway.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Horatius Bonar posted:

One advantage of the block walls is there's no way they can leave their piss jugs in your wall.

Aren't these double-skin walls with a cavity?

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
There are more cavities every time a block is touched, certainly

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Jaded Burnout posted:

In that case, one advantage of an air barrier on every wall is you'll never smell the piss jugs.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
None of us have realized that the goal is to make hermetically sealed rooms to make the next covid variant and unleash it on the world under who orders

Or it's the next level 4 bio hazard lab in the uk

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

This sounds very spooky

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

knox_harrington posted:

Not wanting to be able to control the heat in each room is a bit odd imo. People like their bedrooms at different temperatures.

The correct choice is to have a fireplace in each room:

During the warm months keep the window open if it's too hot, otherwise just heat the rooms you want. Bing bong so simple.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Flashbacks of mum saying "it's cold in here" and dad pointing to the thermostat saying "it's 21°C".

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

pokeyman posted:

Flashbacks of mum saying "it's cold in here" and dad pointing to the thermostat saying "it's 21°C".

Draughty room, dad should have taped the seams up better

Externality
Sep 9, 2023
I had fun catching up with this thread today, the 650kN piles got me :lmao:

A real insight to see how a self-build can go, jealous of all the diggers you get to drive, but not of the hassle. Glad the plasters are working out!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Now that we know those aircrete blocks float, I've come around to those piles being necessary to anchor the whole house during floods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Now that we know those aircrete blocks float, I've come around to those piles being necessary to anchor the whole house during floods

Are piles equally resistant in both directions, or have they only been approved to handle downward forces?