Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

What if...
https://twitter.com/joeobligations/status/1317106451521875968?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Robin finding Chopper slumping around in his bathrobe cute :3:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Just put the chopper hat on Danny DeVito.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

Sanji has his 4kids dub voice for this one.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Sanji would love the Bing.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Anybody want a jacket?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The character pack for Yamato dropped for Pirate Warriors 4 and it's being downvoted. I thought because the description calls him 'Son of Kaido' but no! It's because apparently the characters are not showing up after purchase which is, you know, valid.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

White Light posted:

Anybody want a jacket?

Only if there's a Sogeking version

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I don't know if we need to put OPLA stuff in spoilers but just in case, I finished the season last night and given the season 2 announcement here was some random speculation I was going through in my head:

1. So first of all I am thinking Buggy and Alvida join up with Baroque Works. They show them meeting at the end of the season which teases the Loguetown attack, but the first season already established that they aren't just going to sideline people who will pop up in the future for seasons at a time, so they are not just going to limit their appearance to that first(?) episode. They also already fit the pattern of man + woman duo anyway and have the motive for helping go after the Straw Hats. It could also provide an explanation/set up for Alvida getting a devil fruit (if she still ends up with one, although i doubt they will pull the gag where she loses weight if it means switching out the actress) and established the relationship between Buggy and Croc for the Cross Guild!
2. By that same token it's probably obvious but Koby and Garp will probably end up sliding into the Smoker portions of the story, and that stuff will probably be fleshed out a bit throughout the season as they track the Straw Hats from Loguetown to Alabasta
3. I have a sinking feeling that Little Garden gets cut although maybe the giants are too important to the lore; in either case I do think Drum Island is altered so it factors in Baroque Works stuff to make that aspect of the arc more cohesive, whether that is shifting some of the villains from LG to there or introducing some of the others earlier
4. Again by the same token I think Robin probably shows up earlier in the season; I know she already does post Whiskey Peak to (fake) blow up Ingram and mess with the Straw Hats but I am thinking interactions like that are more frequent and she builds up more of a rapport with Luffy and the crew (this especially ties into my earlier speculation that they might skip from Alabasta straight to Water 7/Ennies Lobby for season 3, so we could use a bit more time with her)

I guess the main thing I wanted to toss out was the Buggy/Alvida thing because it hit me when I saw their meet up and trying to think how they would be a more recurring presence like Buggy's head was in season 1 lol

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

https://www.amazon.com/One-Piece-Box-Set-Dressrosa/dp/1974725960

Box set #4, and the other ones are going for around $100 each atm on Amazon. Must have reprinted them recently, was a lot more last I had checked.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Season 3 has to be the crown jewel.
Alabasta

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've been rereading the manga from the start (I last did so 15 years ago and I'm very behind) now that the live action has me hooked again, and...

...is it weird that I prefer Arlong in the live action over the manga? Like. Don't get me wrong. He's still a great, effective villain. But the live action version feels like he has more subtlety to his cruelty and nuance.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/meow_nightcat/status/1702641111695753545?t=TFnTmtXBdh77kNb8sDzHcw&s=19

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Nodosaur posted:

I've been rereading the manga from the start (I last did so 15 years ago and I'm very behind) now that the live action has me hooked again, and...

...is it weird that I prefer Arlong in the live action over the manga? Like. Don't get me wrong. He's still a great, effective villain. But the live action version feels like he has more subtlety to his cruelty and nuance.

In the manga East Blue is, for all its storytelling strengths, still treated as a prologue to the Grand Line. Arlong is the toughest of the lot (not counting Smoker I guess) but it's very much baked in that he's a big fish in a small pond.

In OPLA, it has to tell a contained story where Arlong is not the Act 1 Boss, but the Final Boss of the season. So his presence and threat level has to be scaled up accordingly.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I guess the adaptation also, like, enjoys the benefit of hindsight in fleshing characters like Arlong out

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/kcgreenn/status/1702746489422844162?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Sanji: “Where are my cigarettes?“

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

https://www.amazon.com/One-Piece-Box-Set-Dressrosa/dp/1974725960

Box set #4, and the other ones are going for around $100 each atm on Amazon. Must have reprinted them recently, was a lot more last I had checked.

wow i like these a lot less than the japanese box sets.

looking like books on the back is real good imo

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is that when Chopper hated Mondays?

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

mikeycp posted:

wow i like these a lot less than the japanese box sets.

looking like books on the back is real good imo

Would love to see special edition hardcovers like what Dark Horse did with Berserk. I would rebuy the whole series.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Raspberry Bang posted:

Would love to see special edition hardcovers like what Dark Horse did with Berserk. I would rebuy the whole series.

Same, starting a physical collection of One Piece was on my list after I finish Berserk. The volumes are pricy but nice quality and they look amazing on a shelf. Hell even a non-gimmick version of that super long one volume thing with continuous art down the side could be great.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm holding out for the 130 volume mega-bundle at the end

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm holding out for the 130 volume mega-bundle at the end

Have them come in a Mihawk coffin boat that you can be buried in when you die.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I will buy them when they fix Zoro's name :mad:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I noticed on my reread today that they missed editing the name when blackbeard shows luffy the wanted posters by the knock up stream. so it was all for nothing really

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Whoever recommended the teacher reading through OP, great call. The lady has a lot of really great analysis and is picking up a lot of themes surprisingly early. It's a fun listen, if listening to people read the series for the first time is your bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gfiNUx_FoY&t=1434s

:cry: this is so wholesome, absolutely wonderful

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I was bored at work and had this idea for a One Piece fan fiction. Now, I'll dump it here because I'll probably never write it.

Full disclosure: I like fanfics the best when they are either canon compliant or their an alternate universe that stays true to the original themes and characters (like a canon divergence AU or a completely different setting but the characters and themes remain in take).

Anyway, the idea was basically trying to do a One Piece movie. Basically, a simple side story. In and out in 2 hours. Something fun and different that fits just enough into the universe without having any lasting impact to affect future events.

The basic plot is:

quote:

The Straw Hat crew dock at an Island in the New World which is considered special for being one of the few New World Islands that is completely under the control of the World Government. An upstart Captain, who is considered a shoe-in for Vice-Admiral, claimed the Island under mysterious circumstances.

While there, they learn that a lot of pirate crews who dock there tend to lose their captain. Literally while learning this and deciding it'd be best to leave, Luffy, who wasn't paying attention, gets seperated from the group, much to everyone's annoyance.

Luffy ends up accepting a free meal from this guy who looks like a hippie. The man turns out, however, to be the Marine captain. He's a Hyp-Hyp man after eating the Hypo Hypo Fruit. The Paramecia type fruit allows him to hypnotize anyone who looks into his eyes and he uses his powers on Luffy.

Around this time, the Straw Hats run into a Pirate Crew desperately trying to get their Captain to rejoin their crew, trying to remind him of his dream of being Pirate King. But, he says that he always just wanted to be a baker and goes back to his shop.

Back with Luffy, Cheechski, the Marine Hippie guy, makes Luffy tell him his dream and why he has it. He hypnotizes Luffy to think a Marine saved him from the bandit and Sea Beast, not Shanks. As a matter of fact, Shanks was the one who tried to kill him for eating the Gum Gum fruit. When Luffy asks why a Marine saved him since Marines were never on the Island, the guy panics and asks if Marines ever visited, which Luffy in his trance state mentions his grandpa, Garp. Which makes Cheeski flip out but then roll with it and actually tells him Garp saved him and Garp even gave him his Strawhat. Which would be a subtle nod to the second version of Romance Dawn.

Fully convinced, Luffy is told his dream was actually to be a great Marine and he wakes Luffy up...

And Luffy immediately clocks him for being out of uniform. Luffy starts saying his a vice admiral and acting more like Garp. However, he now also has the weird affectation of saying "hyp hyp" at the end of his sentences like Cheeski does. Luffy then takes Cheeski uniform and demands to inspect the base. Cheeski says he's the one giving orders at the base and tries to command Luffy...and gets beat up again and Luffy says he's the vice admiral who will be Fleet Commander someday and doesn'twant to hear it from someone out of uniform. Cheeski says Luffy took his uniform though and Luffy ignores him, which would probably be a running gag of Luffy beating him up for being out of uniform while also being the one who stole it and ignoring Cheeski's protests.

From there, my idea is muddier. Cheeski has assembled a bunch of other former Pirate Captains turned Marines, lamenting not everyone can be convinced to be a Marine. His power can only work if the changing of one's dreams is plausible to the person, but he did his best to get an elite squad. Each would be a counter for a member of the crew so they could all pair off in the third act for a battle. I have the idea that all of them would have been messed up by the Hyp Hyp power in some way, making them act in an ironic matter. Like their swordsman, who was known as fearless, now has a phobia of swords so he has to fight blindfolded or else he'll freak out at his own swords. And the joke is he acts tough but, if the blindfold slips, he freaks out as a running gag. Didn't flesh out the rest of the counters.

From there, it basically comes a game of the Strawhats having to fight this mirror version of themselves run by their hypnotized captain. They'll eventually break the hypnosis by realizing that Luffy still values his hat and putting it in danger makes him slip up and say stuff the old Luffy would say. He'll eventually be broken out of it, but I want a gag where he says he'll never fall for it again right before Cheeski immediately rehypnotizes him to the crew's annoyance. Like, it would have been a bit and they immediately hit him out of it but it feels like an Oda joke.

Cheeski would then threaten them and get his rear end beat. His hypnosis powers break when he gets beat so the other hypnotized people remember their original dreams and go back to the seas as pirates.

And that was basically the idea.

Oh, also, Cheeski would use a gong as a weapon. Because he's a hippie because he's a hyp hyp man and his name is based on Cheech and a gong sounds like Chong. So it makes a pun through slant rhythm. Cheeski's gong, Cheech and Chong. I don't know. I thought that was funny when I thought of it.

Anyway, sorry for the fly by cringe. I just needed to get it out of my head.

Covok fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 16, 2023

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Think Ive asked this before but asking again..how come.its Bartholomew kuma rather than bear or Bartholomew not being translated either?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Because his name is Kuma.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jose posted:

Think Ive asked this before but asking again..how come.its Bartholomew kuma rather than bear or Bartholomew not being translated either?

his name is bisoromi bear

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jose posted:

I think his name has shown up in the manga written as Bartholomew Kuma in English and seeing as how ODa never went back and edited it like his other romanization goofs (Shiliew, Big Mam) that means it's the intended rendering.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

I think his name has shown up in the manga written as Bartholomew Kuma in English and seeing as how ODa never went back and edited it like his other romanization goofs (Shiliew, Big Mam) that means it's the intended rendering.

I just got to the first mention of 'Raftel' in my OP re-read.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
If we’re gonna question Kuma then we should also bring attention to Helmsman Whale Shark, First Son of the Sea.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Edward is his last name

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Is Bonney's real name Bisoromi Bonney?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Her real given name is probably also different.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Dawgstar posted:

I just got to the first mention of 'Raftel' in my OP re-read.

Wait, was it always supposed to be Laugh Tale but got translated wrong? Or is it an in-universe thing the island is commonly known to have the wrong name

Potato Salad posted:

:cry: this is so wholesome, absolutely wonderful

Really is. And she really digs into symbolism/language which lets her call a bunch of things *correctly* waaaay earlier than most readers. Granted, she throws out a lot of predictions, but some really on point.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 16, 2023

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i think they use different katakana until roger laughs

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

If we’re gonna question Kuma then we should also bring attention to Helmsman Whale Shark, First Son of the Sea.

Don’t forget about the legendary navigator and cat burglar, Wave!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Laugh Tale was as much of a surprise to Japan when Stampede came out