Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Turak as played by Benoit Blanc as played by Daniel Craig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
The horn of valeeuh is a donut

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Phobeste posted:

The hole of valeeuh is a donut

:hmmyes:

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Non book-reading wife's predictions after the latest episode.

- Nynaeve and Elayne save Egwene.
- Everyone meets back up.
- Rand tricks Lanfear, for a little bit.
- Min decides not to betray Mat, but too late.
- Liandrin betrays the Dark in a grand self-sacrifice.
- Rand gets together with Egwene, Lanfear hears about it and goes sicko mode on both of them.
- Ishamael betrays Suroth.
- Perrin struggles with wolf/human stuff and has to make a choice between them, probably only choosing wolf if he loses too much.
- Maybe one day Egwene will stop being a background character.
- Lan struggles between choosing Moiraine or becoming Nynaeve's warder, Moiraine eventually pushes him to go to Nynaeve.
- Moiraine probably doesn't get her powers back.
- Moiraine gets her entire family brutally killed.
- Rand learns to control the One Power without going crazy and becomes a men's rights activist.
- Mat continues to make a string of terrible decisions, but remains pathetic and loveable.
- Verin dies at some point, probably sacrificing herself.
- Perrin and Aviendha get together while he feels guilty about his dead wife, but eventually leaves her because he's convinced that she needs to be protected from him.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the scarification stuff seems out of step with broader seanchan culture. show hasn't done a very good job at showing how weird and ritualised they are imo – same goes for the aes sedai

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Did I misinterpret a line or did Suroth just give away the reveal that sul’dam can channel when she was bragging about how they’ve earned the right?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
She's saying that they train for years and earn the right to control damane and therefore control the one power.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

quote:

- Moiraine gets her entire family brutally killed.

Been a while since my last reread, but doesn't Barthanes get brutally murdered which sets off the Cairhean[sic] civil war?

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Dingleberry2 posted:

Been a while since my last reread, but doesn't Barthanes get brutally murdered which sets off the Cairhean[sic] civil war?

Barthanes getting ripped apart didn't help things but Thom killing the king is what really gets the civil war going.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

CainsDescendant posted:

Thom killing the king is what really gets the civil war going.

Who? I'm not familiar with that character in the Wheel of Time show. Must have been a bit role or something.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

She's saying that they train for years and earn the right to control damane and therefore control the one power.

Yeah, it's basically like saying that the One Power can be assigned by proper authorities to trained and responsible people like an artillery piece or fighter plane in a more modern military, and just as easily taken away if they violate that responsibility. Compared to just hoping the people born with super powers don''t abuse them it genuinely is a very sensible, accountable system; that is, it would be if it didn't still literally involve people with innate super powers. Good thing we all convinced ourselves they're not really human anyway!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Who? I'm not familiar with that character in the Wheel of Time show. Must have been a bit role or something.

:nallears:

exmarx posted:

the scarification stuff seems out of step with broader seanchan culture. show hasn't done a very good job at showing how weird and ritualised they are imo – same goes for the aes sedai

How can you tell it's out of step with the broader seanchan culture? This is the only bits of the broader seanchan culture we've seen in the show.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Just finished the episode. Probably the best one so far. Lanfear popping that guy's head was great - she does that at the end of Winter's Heart when Rand starts cleansing the taint.

Barthanes was the darkfriend in the books right? Or am I switching him for the other guy in line for the crown? Trading his soul for the house's success makes sense given Ishy mentioning people go over to the dark for specific selfish reasons like three times this episode. Maybe they'll make Caroline the darkfriend though, she did say something when taking to Moraine that I thought was a little suspect.

Moraine killing the horse then sacrificing the stable woman was cold as ice.

I can't believe they went with that casting choice for Pura, drat. I wonder how far they'll take that story line.

Aviendah freaking rules hot drat. I'm predicting they kill off Valda instead of Dain's Dad though, or vice versa. Dain can take any of Valda's plot, right? The two of them are in the Two Rivers, then Valda is with Morgasse, then he gets killed by Galad, right? And Dain is just kind of there for most of that? Killing one or the other off wouldn't take away much.

Great episode. I'm betting Lan, Min and Mat show up when Rand wakes up then everyone portal stones to Falme.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Dingleberry2 posted:

In the show it feels like its going to be Moiraine letting them get chewed up for the cause. We wouldn't have gotten to know them that well otherwise. Or who knows, maybe they're around in season 8

Odd thoughts,

Does Suroth not know who Ishy is? Raging at him seems like a shortcut to a fantastically unpleasant death
Is Min a darkfriend now, with a redemption arc?
Did the Seanchen really not pick up on Liandrin channelling to free the girls?
Is Fain just some darkfriend now?
If Ishy can bring back all the forsaken, why doesn't he just do that? They might be annoying but its like having nukes when no one else does when you in no way care about long term consequences
Bornhald seems weirdly normal. He's not the dullard I was expecting

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.

Colonel Cool posted:

- Maybe one day Egwene will stop being a background character.

This day is next Thursday.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

CainFortea posted:

How can you tell it's out of step with the broader seanchan culture? This is the only bits of the broader seanchan culture we've seen in the show.

i am assuming that the tv show is adapting robert jordan's the wheel of time

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Goofballs posted:

Does Suroth not know who Ishy is? Raging at him seems like a shortcut to a fantastically unpleasant death
Is Min a darkfriend now, with a redemption arc?
Did the Seanchen really not pick up on Liandrin channelling to free the girls?
Is Fain just some darkfriend now?
If Ishy can bring back all the forsaken, why doesn't he just do that? They might be annoying but its like having nukes when no one else does when you in no way care about long term consequences
Bornhald seems weirdly normal. He's not the dullard I was expecting

I think she knows who he is, but Ishy is the more reasonable forsaken. He's not gonna just pop someone's head off for being uppity. He doesn't really care. He just wants to end the world because that's how he has decided to end everyone's suffering. He's not in it for personal power. I don't think it's an accident we see how powerful Lanfear is and how cruel she is at the same time we see Surroth popping off at Ishy.

She didn't swear to the darklord, at least not on screen, so I doubt it.

I guess not?

Maybe? We haven't really seen him get interviewed by anyone yet.

We don't actually know that he didn't. He might have done so and lied. Hell he might have let everyone else out first, then said "okay i'm letting The Craziest One out, everyone act like you're still bound". Assuming he didn't lie, who else is going to get close enough to Rand to get the info he wants?

Yea, though he seemed quite freaked out with the yellow eyes so he might just become real unreasonable about it real quick.

exmarx posted:

i am assuming that the tv show is adapting robert jordan's the wheel of time

I don't know how to tell you this, but maybe you should sit down.

But...there might be some differences between what you think in your head and what a tv show production team makes on screen.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BigHead posted:

Aviendah freaking rules hot drat. I'm predicting they kill off Valda instead of Dain's Dad though, or vice versa. Dain can take any of Valda's plot, right? The two of them are in the Two Rivers, then Valda is with Morgasse, then he gets killed by Galad, right? And Dain is just kind of there for most of that? Killing one or the other off wouldn't take away much.

I hope not cause I really liked Dain coming good in the end

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Rarity posted:

I hope not cause I really liked Dain coming good in the end
Yeah he ultimately ends up killing Byar when Byar tries murdering Perrin, and also tells him Fain was the one to kill Perrin's family, not Trollocs.

That's why I think the show setup is very good for his whole arc, so I hope they don't swap him into one of the other Whitecloak roles to cut characters. But we haven't met Geofram yet and Valda seems to be serving that "overarching Whitecloak commander" role that Geofram fit into in the early books, so who knows.

Pleads fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 16, 2023

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Geofram was the old guy that Valda was hanging out with in S1E2

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

heck

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

BigHead posted:

Just finished the episode. Probably the best one so far. Lanfear popping that guy's head was great - she does that at the end of Winter's Heart when Rand starts cleansing the taint.

Barthanes was the darkfriend in the books right? Or am I switching him for the other guy in line for the crown? Trading his soul for the house's success makes sense given Ishy mentioning people go over to the dark for specific selfish reasons like three times this episode. Maybe they'll make Caroline the darkfriend though, she did say something when taking to Moraine that I thought was a little suspect.

In the show then I could see it being Moraine's sister who sold out for the house success but it's still Barthanes who gets brutally murdered. That could also explain the sister giving the advice to Moraine of "slowing down" so that she's an easier target.

Dingleberry2 fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 16, 2023

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Also, I assumed the actor they got who ended up being Dain was Galad. They're seriously gonna find a guy even prettier for this show?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dingleberry2 posted:

Also, I assumed the actor they got who ended up being Dain was Galad. They're seriously gonna find a guy even prettier for this show?

Galad is this guy

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Gwaihir posted:

It's really not, tbh I think the actual state of the seals isn't known in the tower until the very end- Rand doesn't give them to Egwene until the actual last minute.

They obviously know shits hosed though, between failing wards and the tower itself literally transport swapping whole blocks of rooms.

At this point in the books though Moiraine has only seen the single broken seal from the eye and while I think she told siuan about it I'm not even sure if she did that much.

Elyane and Nynaeve bring back a broken seal with them when they arrive in Salidar, in like book 7 I think. Now, the Tower might be unaware of the state of the seals until reunification, but a big group of Aes Sedai did know about them crumbling.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
the more i see of this show, the more i feel like everything after the first few books is going to be basically impossible to make a good tv show of. there's so much set up, plot and exposition.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'd be very happy if they don't make a direct adaptation of books 8 to 10 personally

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wasn't 9 good? I remember 9 being good. Not enough to justify 10 being entirely people reacting to the events of 9 though

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

crepeface posted:

the more i see of this show, the more i feel like everything after the first few books is going to be basically impossible to make a good tv show of. there's so much set up, plot and exposition.
I feel completely opposite, really excited since they are doing an amazing job with S2, compressing and rearranging events, making up new character arcs, etc. This could be a really unique show.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

A thing I really like about season 2 is that it feels more like they're accepting that they're doing the wheel of time. season 1 had some bits where there was a bit of a shade of embarrassed of the source material even though it was generally good - perrin wife, dragon mystery, mat parents. but season 2 feels like they're going "oh gently caress it we're in" with stuff like aviendha dropping "far dareis mai" and ji'e'toh and pitch-perfect hitting the kind of aiel non-explanation explanation of their culture and all the tel'aran'rhiod stuff and it rules i'm so happy

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Aviendha giving a little eye-roll and making a little tsk noise when telling Perrin about toh covers the same ground as like 100 pages of book

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I feel completely opposite, really excited since they are doing an amazing job with S2, compressing and rearranging events, making up new character arcs, etc. This could be a really unique show.

i may have been a bit harsh, i posted my complaints halfway through the ep.

i think the first half was badly paced, but i may feel that way because i already know and hate everything about the eye-rollingly bad seanchan culture. i still feel like that and the perrin scenes were too slow tho.

i liked the second half way better and on a quick scrub through, everything was good except the seanchan, perrin and forsaken scenes.

fake edit: oh yeah, and i'm glad they're compressing/rearranging events. they managed to move the wonder girls to falme and rand to cairhien pretty deftly.

real edit: daughter of the night more like daughter of the too much eye shadow

real edit 2: verin owns

crepeface fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 16, 2023

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Phobeste posted:

A thing I really like about season 2 is that it feels more like they're accepting that they're doing the wheel of time. season 1 had some bits where there was a bit of a shade of embarrassed of the source material even though it was generally good - perrin wife, dragon mystery, mat parents. but season 2 feels like they're going "oh gently caress it we're in" with stuff like aviendha dropping "far dareis mai" and ji'e'toh and pitch-perfect hitting the kind of aiel non-explanation explanation of their culture and all the tel'aran'rhiod stuff and it rules i'm so happy

Which, to be fair, is kinda how the first two books went too? Like, the first book was unabashedly not-LOTR-but-kinda, and wonky stuff, and ended weirdly. Then in the great hunt, some big horror moments, stuff in the tower, aiel show up, ingtar, portal stone, etc. I'm very excited.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

you make a good point!

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

SirSamVimes posted:

Wasn't 9 good? I remember 9 being good. Not enough to justify 10 being entirely people reacting to the events of 9 though

The end of 9 was balling as gently caress. And honestly that whole 3 book section isn't awful without the waiting in between.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

The end of Winter’s Heart carriers the book but yeah CoT and KoD were both kind of a trial for the readership.

Edit: as said above it’s probably not as bad when you’re not waiting years between them. But it was pretty bad when they were originally released. There’s a ton of stuff they can condense in that sequence of books.

Or you know let’s just not do the Bowl of Winds.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

VanillaGorilla posted:

The end of Winter’s Heart carriers the book but yeah CoT and KoD were both kind of a trial for the readership.

Edit: as said above it’s probably not as bad when you’re not waiting years between them. But it was pretty bad when they were originally released. There’s a ton of stuff they can condense in that sequence of books.

Or you know let’s just not do the Bowl of Winds.

Huh, I thought KoD was a return to form after book 10, and honestly was the best since 6. Also thought that was more or less the consensus.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm rereading KoD now and there's some positive plot progression but it's still 75% annoying fluff.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I generally like CoT, but I can understand everybody who thinks it's a slog, as well as quite large stretches of 7-9. But KoD has a ton of stuff happening, and a lot of plot threads being resolved, I'm honestly surprised somebody would call it "75% annoying fluff".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

KoD is very good, not sure what annoying fluff y'all are talking about.