Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
a little less Sam Coe, a little more SAMCRO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I don't understand why people in Constellation get pissed off when you suggest that Cora stay at the lodge, like the orphan Sarah is responsible for.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

a little less Sam Coe, a little more SAMCRO

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I'm guessing it's intentional that people pronounce his name like it's a business, SamCo? I don't know how universal it is but I noticed several characters don't really pronounce his name as two words

like his real name is Sam Popeil or some poo poo

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't understand why people in Constellation get pissed off when you suggest that Cora stay at the lodge, like the orphan Sarah is responsible for.

Yeah I was really confused. Like I regularly get into space battles with flotillas of pirates or interdimensional travellers or the loving Navy. Sam bro just leave your little girl with her grandpa who she loves and vice versa when we go on our next space advenyure

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah I was really confused. Like I regularly get into space battles with flotillas of pirates or interdimensional travellers or the loving Navy. Sam bro just leave your little girl with her grandpa who she loves and vice versa when we go on our next space advenyure

Or her mom, whatever the gently caress was going on with that questline.

I don't know who I was supposed to sympathize with, because whatever the Dev's intentions, it didn't reflect well on Sam.

We've seen that most Rangers just have sleepy desk duty in places like the Clinic and very rarely actually Maintiens le Droit. I don't think having custody would have imperilled the FC.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Frosted Flake posted:

Or her mom, whatever the gently caress was going on with that questline.

I don't know who I was supposed to sympathize with, because whatever the Dev's intentions, it didn't reflect well on Sam.

We've seen that most Rangers just have sleepy desk duty in places like the Clinic and very rarely actually Maintiens le Droit. I don't think having custody would have imperilled the FC.

maybe the reason sams daughter is so hosed up is because he refuses to let her play with other kids or see her mom or grandpa

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Al! posted:

maybe the reason sams daughter is so hosed up is because he refuses to let her play with other kids or see her mom or grandpa

She does kind of remind me of the precocious, lonely, children of well-paid professionals in NYC and the Bay Area. I mean it's great that she likes books, but it's all she has.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

There's the Triumvirate, which is what MAST stands for: Military, Administration and Science.

Totally different from TriOptimum's trinity of Military, Science, and Consumer.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Tankbuster posted:

the problem isn't with obsidian games. They have better writing and narratives than bethesda games by far. The problem is the people I went to college with in the states went from being nice berniebros to voting for hillary (in oklahoma lmao) to sharing joe biden is the next FDR articles while sharing breadtube videos. They all seem to think that Fallout New Vegas is one of the most poignant and hard hitting tales of how american capitalism is bad. Like come on fellas you literally went to school with kids from vietnam whose parents were dodging actual bombs.

huh they must have played new vegas wrong. to me it was about murdering ncr commies while my buddies Vulpes and Arcade cheered me on

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

She does kind of remind me of the precocious, lonely, children of well-paid professionals in NYC and the Bay Area. I mean it's great that she likes books, but it's all she has.

its honestly pretty solid writing, bit like a lot of solid writing in this game it almost feels like an accident because you never get the option to just tell sam that theres no way his daughter is coming on your ship. at least the Enterprise had schools

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Al! posted:

you never get the option to just tell sam that theres no way his daughter is coming on your ship. at least the Enterprise had schools

FC is all about homeschooling your kids. there is no other option (low taxes)

but yea I do think it’s often unintentionally good rather than deliberate

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Epic High Five posted:

The quality of rice I'm putting out in Sakuna is something I'm going to need to hide from from any communes I apply to post-climate collapse. This game really a rice growing simulator and beat'em up that each boost the other, wild. Hopefully just chugging along making medicore rice means eventually my crop will be powerful enough on its own that any skill on my part will not be required.

Oh it is so good. Rice is life and the videogame mechanically married actual real deal rice farming with metroidvania player power in such a wonderful way.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

UC didn't lose those war anymore than Freestar won them.

Both sides fought each other into a stalemate and nobody is happy with the results.

The stupid status quo treaty that ended the 1st war is what caused the 2nd war. The dumbass status quo treaty that ended the 2nd war will cause the 3rd war.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The cowboys deffo won the first war, the disputed system joined the Collective. Second war was a stalemate as far as I can tell

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Xaris posted:

bethesda stumbling rear end-backwards into good writing and setting is really funny

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

In 2194, the United Colonies placed a star station named the Clinic in the orbit of the planet Deepala in Narion. The unaffiliated inhabitants of Narion objected to this and demanded the Clinic be removed out of fear that the UC was planning to annex the system, but the UC refused. In protest, Narion's people voted to join the Freestar Collective, which sent a military force to the system in 2195 to protect the locals.

The UC gave generous terms to Freestar, conceding control of Narion in exchange for two concessions: payment for damages from Freestar in the form of mineral rights to multiple worlds, and an agreement that all great factions in the Settled Systems would limit their colonies to three systems each.

Hmmm, seems like a toss up.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

she has family who love her and will give her better qol.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Lostconfused posted:

Hmmm, seems like a toss up.

oh they got mining and resource rights. Nvm, it wasn't that big of an L. Like the british did worse in their early subcontinental wars.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Oh there's a lore reason why the two governments (really awkward when they call them factions in game imo) won't expand inti the 92 unclaimed systems around them. That's neat

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Freestar did try to expand, which is what caused the most recent war.

quote:

The Freestar Collective began colonizing the planet Vesta in the Lunara system in 2307. This was opposed by the United Colonies, who in 2308 lodged a formal objection to the Vesta colony on the grounds that the Collective's expansion into a fourth star system was a violation of the Treaty of Narion. When diplomatic talks between the UC and Freestar broke down, the UC placed the Vesta colony under siege, resulting in the deaths of all of the colony's Freestar defenders.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Freestar did try to expand, which is what caused the most recent war.

all of the "defenders" lol

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
captain myeong taking care of all the freestar pests with the big iron on her hip.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the uc is so cartoonishly evil but the "good" path is to say what happned in the past didnt matter, we have the opportunity to shape the future. which you might as well have said "we can fix the nazis by just being a good nazi"

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
the original treaty between the FC and UC restricting them to 3 worlds each is so silly and shortsighted I have to assume it was put in place to ensure continued hostilities rather than quell them

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

Oh it is so good. Rice is life and the videogame mechanically married actual real deal rice farming with metroidvania player power in such a wonderful way.

I sent the baby out to go foraging and came back to everybody saying he's gone missing and samurai guy is hunting for them. I'd love to help look but it's Spring 1 u know how it goes, I'm sure they're fine and I'll find them eventually.

The baby was fine foraging before! Helicopter parenting!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

can’t tell what’s a bit and what’s real anymore

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That being fake would be a bit, video games shipping with malware isn't new or unusual, or rootkits, or some other bit of malicious software.

Edit: I'm definitely thinking of rootkits, not malware. Either way, publishers and developers don't give a gently caress about what goes on your computer lol, just pay up loser.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 20:51 on Sep 18, 2023

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

denuvo is effectively malware that no longer bricks people's cd drives because they dont have cd drives

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Xaris posted:

low taxes is the reason neon has executive towers and akila is a filthy mudpuddle with wooden boards for streets

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man, lies of p should have been released 2 years ago. This not having a jump button is killing me.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

low taxes is the reason neon has executive towers and akila is a filthy mudpuddle with wooden boards for streets

the reason alkila city is a filthy mudpuddle is because its literally a western themed amusement park

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Al! posted:

the reason alkila city is a filthy mudpuddle is because its literally a western themed amusement park
yup. its a place for the kimbals n landlords to show up and cosplay for a bit

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

All the CEOs from Neon coming to Akila for a conference and trying not to roll their eyes when people call it the capital of Freestar

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
the only thing Akila City is missing is the ground being made up of discarded peanut shells

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Xaris posted:

can’t tell what’s a bit and what’s real anymore

https://www.pcgamer.com/unity-is-merging-with-a-company-who-made-a-malware-installer/

it's real

https://blog.unity.com/news/unity-ironsource-merger-growing-great-mobile-games

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

akila city should get the space jam license like magic mountain

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

DaysBefore posted:

Every time I learn something new about Freestar it becomes funnier and funnier that the UC lost two wars to them

The Freestar collective should have collapsed like, two minutes into its creation. Their main system is basically one shoddy town and a few outlying farms, and while the second big system is home to a bunch of powerhouse corporations and industrial capacity they're all so loosely governed and corrupt they might as well roll over or stab the government in the back the moment it suits them or the UC rolls up and starts bombarding them from orbit.

And while I can see citizen militias in their own starships being able to do some damage in space, how would that even be coordinated when everyone is constantly backbiting and trying to do their own thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lmfao