Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Ok this new manga had a surprisingly banger first chapter. I love the crazy old man.

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1018863

He’s just built different.

Edit: gee, I wonder what’s going to happen in Shojo null.

Monster 8 finally had a cool fight again!

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ImpAtom posted:

The impression I always got is that the 'staying dead' thing was supposed to be the bulk of the story. They spent a lot of time establishing various rules and gimmicks which could easily have been dragged out a long time and the major Plot McGuffin basically vanishes until the Dark Tournament arc where it becomes a plot device. It doesn't really become True Fightman until Genkai is introduced which is a notable shift for the series from "Dead teenager gets to come back to live but has to do good" and "Dead teenager has come back to life but now has to solve spirit crimes using magic detective devices"

This is almost definitely true. While the series is most known for setting a new standard for shounen fighting tournaments, the original pitch was that it would be about Yusuke having ghost adventures. That's even what the title refers to (yuyu meaning ghost, like Yuyuko in Touhou), and Yusuke Uremeshi is like naming a character Ghosty McBoo.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Clarste posted:

This is almost definitely true. While the series is most known for setting a new standard for shounen fighting tournaments, the original pitch was that it would be about Yusuke having ghost adventures. That's even what the title refers to (yuyu meaning ghost, like Yuyuko in Touhou), and Yusuke Uremeshi is like naming a character Ghosty McBoo.

The title also translates to "Ghost Files" or "Poltergeist Report" which you also see used in the anime and manga implying that there would be more cases(there technically are, but really the same thing).

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I get the feeling that Ranger Reject is going to be ending this arc. It's been total chaos the past few chapters and everyone is showing up now and I don't really know where the author is going with this anymore.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I think I said it before but I love that Sakamoto Days works on John Wick rules were dead-eyed civilians are utterly oblivious to what is obviously insane gunplay happening around them 24/7.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
someone please put a pillow over ichinose family's head already

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, Gonna be real, the new series (Kagurabachi) bounced off of me pretty hard.

MamaYuyu is still going strong.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I thought Kagurabachi started off incredibly strong. Got a decent idea of what the kids life was like, we know there was an incident that forced him to start hunting the bad guys, and it ends with some decent action showing us what the twist is with the sword fighting. I think it’s an incredibly strong start compared to Mamayuyu which I still don’t even know what the goal is for the series.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I think they're both solid so far. Mamayuyu has very good paneling and feels like it has some good heart to its characters. Kagurabachi has solid art and action so far with a neat enough setting / sword gimmick, and we definitely know where it's going with its plot.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Kagurabachi feels skippable aside from the handful of nice action panels. Rest of the art isn't nearly as interesting or good, I don't like the designs, and the attempt to split its introduction between backstory and the revenger in full swing made both sides feel half-baked.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I'll admit, I did like the goldfish.

I'm hooked enough on both new series to keep reading, but I'm not sure either will last.

At least they're both better than Gill.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Roboco drew a terrifying SJ Editor in Chief

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Alacron posted:

At least they're both better than Gill.

I think that might be the thing of it. The stuff it's replacing isn't very good, and the other thing that's sticking around isn't either, so they're both pretty okay in my book so far. I like the concepts behind both, and neither has ugly art, so I will continue to read them.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I have read every chapter of Gill so far and still forgot it existed until it was mentioned. Literally the only cool thing so far was the two giant hands guarding the trolls.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The only thing I know about Ice Head Gill is whoever described the protag as "AI generated Tanjiro"

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Oxxidation posted:

someone please put a pillow over ichinose family's head already

My immediate reaction at the end of that chapter was "oh, gently caress off." Series is just spinning its wheels and needs to go.

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think they're both solid so far. Mamayuyu has very good paneling and feels like it has some good heart to its characters. Kagurabachi has solid art and action so far with a neat enough setting / sword gimmick, and we definitely know where it's going with its plot.

Yeah, this is where I'm at. I'm a little less interested in Mamayuyu since it looks like it's going all fightman, but it's still very promising so far

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

mma still good sports manga

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I’m reading Yu Yu Hakusho; I’m currently on the Ice Maiden’s Tears arc. It’s definitely interesting, but not as good as Hunter x Hunter; it sometimes plays cliches straight where HxH would put more of a distinctive spin on them, for instance. Then again, some of the cliches may not have been cliches at the time; at times I found myself thinking, “so that’s where Bleach got it from.” That doesn’t excuse some of the groan-worthy villain dialogue, though.

It’s interesting to see the beginnings of ideas that Togashi will use (usually in better form) in HxH. Most obviously, the test to determine who would get lessons from the old lady exorcist felt like a prototype of the Hunter Exam.

The most striking thing about YYH is the way it keeps reinventing itself. I agree with ImpAtom that it feels like the stuff with Yusuke being dead and helping ordinary people with their sprit-related problems ended faster than Togashi originally intended, but what’s striking is that the status quo that initially replaced that, with Yusuke learning to use the seven sprit detective gadgets, has been sidelined for more conventional battle manga storylines. I’m honestly not sure whether the remaining four gadgets will eventually be introduced or if Togashi just forgot about them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

Roboco drew a terrifying SJ Editor in Chief

I loved the early ending gag.

Speaking of early ending (:v:) Do Retry's final chapter did a time skip ending set in the modern day to kind of summarize the themes of the story. Although I do have to question who recorded any of that footage they used in the funeral.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

muscles like this! posted:

I loved the early ending gag.

Speaking of early ending (:v:) Do Retry's final chapter did a time skip ending set in the modern day to kind of summarize the themes of the story. Although I do have to question who recorded any of that footage they used in the funeral.

In HD, no less!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Kagurabachi: Just rock-solid first chapter of battle shonen, nothing more, nothing less. I can see people disliking it, if they want to see something new or different, but I think it's good enough.

MamaYuyu: There is a lot of focus on what the protagonist is going through, and it has a lot of heart which I did kinda like, but I think everything else is basically a mess. Not really feeling it, to be honest.

My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps!: Watarai is battling Rinko as my favorite side character. I have legit no idea if that guy is a genius or a moron. :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i know it apparently went through severe doldrums around the middle of its run but yozakura family has been consistently delightful since the timeskip

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oxxidation posted:

i know it apparently went through severe doldrums around the middle of its run but yozakura family has been consistently delightful since the timeskip

I've been wondering about that series, but no one seems to talk about it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I've been wondering about that series, but no one seems to talk about it.

It's good.

It fills the same void as Reborn for me(before Reborn completely went off the rails).

Just a fun comedy/action series, with a cute cast.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Yozakura has early growing pains where they keep introducing and dropping characters like there's an editorial mandate to incorporate the new action figures into the story. Like the old Larry Hama GI Joe comics or something.

But there's a point where it just laser focuses back onto the core cast and becomes much better for it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's a solid Middle-of-the-book affair. Not gonna set the world alight like Undead. Not a Thrill Sucking waste of 15 some pages every week like Ichinose Family.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dunno i feel like kagurabachis kind of generic.

Mamayuyu has incredible promise.
This paneling is great

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exaG4m0Au3Q

lmao this apparently was just posted on Shonen Jump's twitter a few days ago

God the Battle for the Rings, and start of the 10 years later arc were so good. Love Amano's art at that stage of the manga. Pity that it just completely went off the rails after the reveal of THE REAL SIX FUNERAL WREATHS

But yeah Yozakura gives me the same thing that Reborn gave me when it was good.

I like the setup of Kagurabachi, it's just gonna come down to the quality of the action when they get to real fights.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dexo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exaG4m0Au3Q

lmao this apparently was just posted on Shonen Jump's twitter a few days ago

God the Battle for the Rings, and start of the 10 years later arc were so good. Love Amano's art at that stage of the manga. Pity that it just completely went off the rails after the reveal of THE REAL SIX FUNERAL WREATHS

But yeah Yozakura gives me the same thing that Reborn gave me when it was good.

I like the setup of Kagurabachi, it's just gonna come down to the quality of the action when they get to real fights.

The Battle for the Rings has like the one fight in shounen where I felt that "you lost, but I would say that you won" was actually earned.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
drat kagurabachi is gory as hell for a sj title. They've really relaxed the rules again about what is allowed after the period of fist of the north star being in it then it being way less gory

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Gachiakuta
I like the old cowboy a lot. I hope he gets a good enough reason to jump ship from Typhon's side since he's not actually ideologically aligned with him.

It annoys me that the translators hold releases on their personal site for sometimes months at a time before releasing on MD. But the above site scrapes their on the day of release so I don't have to bother giving them the traffic.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm not sure what possessed me to keep reading Undead Unluck beyond it's on SJ and I have a sub but I'm glad I did because like it turns a corner and is really good. The key is probably focusing more on Fuuko.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dawgstar posted:

I'm not sure what possessed me to keep reading Undead Unluck beyond it's on SJ and I have a sub but I'm glad I did because like it turns a corner and is really good. The key is probably focusing more on Fuuko.

UU is really fuckin' good, the start is pretty bland and at times actively quite bad, but man once things get going it really gets going.

Speaking of, there's been some trailers recently for the anime, which starts in a few weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCuMbgOXdE4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR_ioX_-GoQ

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

UU gets actively better the less Andy is involved. Yet oddly he still scores good in the popularity polls. :shrug:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Got around to reading the latest Sakamoto Days and my god a sniper fight? :stwoon:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Darth TNT posted:

UU gets actively better the less Andy is involved. Yet oddly he still scores good in the popularity polls. :shrug:

That checks out. It's about 125 or so it gets really good, and admittedly two years is a big ask of folks.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So anyone check out the new daddy manga on mangaplus?

Seems neat.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
He's a good dad.

MMA: After the roller coaster that's been the MC and his brother's relationship it was adorable seeing him all excited about that KO.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sindai posted:

He's a good dad.

MMA: After the roller coaster that's been the MC and his brother's relationship it was adorable seeing him all excited about that KO.

Their relationship makes sense. Like neither of them have ever hated each other, it's just them disagreeing about Grandpa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Alacron posted:

So anyone check out the new daddy manga on mangaplus?

Seems neat.

Daddy and Buddy. Just read it, love it. Great heart, good clean set up. Grumble bugs feel a little underwhelming but it's also a great ghost punch set up at the same time. Art is tight, styles open enough that people look fairly unique. I'm ready to see where it goes.