Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

best Vin Diesel movie easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
pitch black is fine, don't let them fool you

i hear the game was ahead of its time though

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Pitch Black was one of my all time favorite movie experiences because I saw it during that time a lot of us have had in life where we were just going to the movies every week, often multiple times a week. No regard for what was actually showing, just seeing movies all the time and barely knowing anything about them.

So that was how I saw Pitch Black, and seeing that movie randomly like that in 2000 was a real lightning bolt. The name Arnold Schwarzenegger was absolutely brought up as we left the theater, everyone I was with felt like we'd witnessed a huge star emerging and we had no idea that was going to happen when we bought those tickets. The Fast & The Furious came out about a year later, it was really cool to watch Diesel blow up after we'd seen it coming the year before.

And the Pitch Black UHD looks great, definitely worth the purchase if you love the movie like I do.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I saw Pitch Black in the theater, because I liked the director's previous science fiction movie (The Arrival, no, the other one made in the 90s with Charlie Sheen and Ron Silver) and I walked out of there thoroughly convinced that Diesel was going to be a movie star.

Now, I was one of like 12 people who saw Multi-Facial, because I had worked in a video store and they gave me the screener, and remembered him from Saving Private Ryan, so to me Diesel was the interesting indie actor. That lasted about 10 minutes, to everyone's detriment if you ask me.

But yeah, Pitch Black. Great little sci-fi monster movie. The sequel goes big, very big, and is a completely different genre. Kind of like Alien -> Aliens, but doesn't pull it off quite as well as Cameron (who does?!?!?)

edit: Didn't see Base555's post before this, but yeah, pretty much same vibe. Pitch Black is a good both as a genre movie and to see Diesel's star-making performance as a "Just how badass is he?" action star before he actually became a huge star.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 19, 2023

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I saw Pitch Black in the theater, because I liked the director's previous science fiction movie (The Arrival, no, the other one made in the 90s with Charlie Sheen and Ron Silver) and I walked out of there thoroughly convinced that Diesel was going to be a movie star.

oh man i didn't realize it was by The Arrival guy, that movie's fun

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

oh man i didn't realize it was by The Arrival guy, that movie's fun

Hell yeah it is! He also made the submarine haunted house movie Below, which is not so great, but I did see Zach Galifanakis in it and say "hey, now this guy has potential!" Also there's an absolutely fantastic mirror gag in that movie, gold standard IMO although I'm not as versed in horror as y'all.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Apparently, I bought the game at some point on GOG and according to the internet it's been pulled for sale everywhere at this point (except amazon, but you'd need to use a warez crack to defeat the long dead DRM) Good lord is the pcgamewiki long for this one...but I think I'm going to go for it, thanks thread?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Also, Pitch Black was the first UHD that Arrow put out, so I'd like to think of that as a nod of approval in its own way.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

Apparently, I bought the game at some point on GOG and according to the internet it's been pulled for sale everywhere at this point (except amazon, but you'd need to use a warez crack to defeat the long dead DRM) Good lord is the pcgamewiki long for this one...but I think I'm going to go for it, thanks thread?

The game is pretty great and I didn't run into any major issues when I replayed last year besides some issues with enemies seeing me in stealth for no reason.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Chronicles of Riddick movie after Pitch Black and never saw the 2013 movie. As much as I enjoy most of the F&F movies I really wish Vin would be in other more fantastical movies like Riddick more often.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Arrival is wonderful. It’s so weird and unique as far as alien invasion movies go

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Arrival is the kind of tight, slick little sci-fi B-movie you never see enough of.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Plus Charlie Sheen from that movie is clearly the inspiration for Gordon Freeman

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Went to see The Arrival as part of my friend's 11th birthday and they ran the trailer for Independence Day before it. That was, uh, the wrong way to get us ready to see The Arrival

Good movie though

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

i assume you guys aren't talking about the film "The Arrival" that that ufo cult made back in the day

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

(genuinely incredible film)

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
it's the one with the backward kneed aliens

man that weirded me out

we should take a moment to appreciate another fantastic Ron Silver Vilian vehicle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWXe4CKKf9o

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I unabashedly love Chronicles of Riddick. The universe he created is rad as hell and I was always bummed we never really got more of it. I saw it before I saw Pitch Black though so I could totally see being underwhelmed by Chronicles if you saw Pitch Black first.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I prefer Pitch Black but always thought the general consensus was that people liked Chronicles better?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Chronicles is kind of the odd man out, but it’s fun. I enjoyed Riddick too even if it’s a rehash.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

PinkoBastard posted:

I prefer Pitch Black but always thought the general consensus was that people liked Chronicles better?

I don't think people generally like Chronicles better, but it probably does have more awareness overall, i.e. it came out after Diesel had become a big star and it was a highly anticipated film. Like, there were plenty of people who went to see Chronicles that didn't even know about Pitch Black. So even if there are a range of opinions on Chronicles, it was actually like a big blockbuster movie whereas Pitch Black was always an underseen cult classic type movie.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I don't think people generally like Chronicles better, but it probably does have more awareness overall, i.e. it came out after Diesel had become a big star and it was a highly anticipated film. Like, there were plenty of people who went to see Chronicles that didn't even know about Pitch Black. So even if there are a range of opinions on Chronicles, it was actually like a big blockbuster movie whereas Pitch Black was always an underseen cult classic type movie.

Ok yeah this tracks, Chronicles… definitely had a lot more visibility

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Chronicles is one my guiltiest pleasures. Diesel swaggers through the entire movie as if having a planet overrun by a genocidal death cult was a dang nuisance he ought to be able to rise above, but since it isn't, well, he knifed his way into this mess, and he'll knife his way out of this. There's that absurd moment where he's just been taken prisoner, and he leans over to sniff Thandie Newton's hair. He says, "It's been a long time since I smelled beautiful." It's the sort of move you'd expect the bad guy to pull when he has the hero's girlfriend prisoner. Which it is. In Riddick's mind, being held prisoner on an enemy flagship does not change the fact that he's the bad guy, and every one of them is within his power.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
He's basically like the ultimate master of his environment. There is literally no environment that will dictate to him, he molds the environment to his liking. That was the best part of the 2013 Riddick, where they show him on this extremely hostile planet but over time he completely bends it to his will and carves out a very Riddick type of existence there despite the fact that it's a barren wasteland overrun with poisonous monsters.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I like everything in chronicles except the ending.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Every morning I wake up and open palm slam a VHS into the slot. It's Chronicles of Riddick.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Now, I was one of like 12 people who saw Multi-Facial, because I had worked in a video store and they gave me the screener, and remembered him from Saving Private Ryan, so to me Diesel was the interesting indie actor. That lasted about 10 minutes, to everyone's detriment if you ask me.

I saw Multi-Facial. It was on a shorts compilation I picked up cheap.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
big lots has uhds now. the one that just opened near me had og lion king, the newer POTC, song to song (lol) and some dr who thing. $5-$10.

i warned my wife that having the $5 blu ray rack five minutes from us would be a problem, lol I underestimated

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

I've always wanted to know how Big Lots gets the DVDs/Blu-rays that they do.

Usually it's a bunch of garbage, so I'm assuming it's a bunch of close out lots, but then you find stuff like pristine Tartan Asian Extreme DVDs that were originally released, like, 15 years ago or Planet Earth on Blu-ray.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I flipped my poo poo a month or two ago when Big Lots was somehow the only place out of every DVD place in the area that had Master Z: Ip Man Legacy. Like I could find plenty of versions of every other Ip Man movie except my favorite one, and lo and behold there it was just hiding in the back of the $5 rack. Even picked up two Takashi Miike movies at the same time. Wild.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I've always wanted to know how Big Lots gets the DVDs/Blu-rays that they do.

Usually it's a bunch of garbage, so I'm assuming it's a bunch of close out lots, but then you find stuff like pristine Tartan Asian Extreme DVDs that were originally released, like, 15 years ago or Planet Earth on Blu-ray.

It's still just close out lots, I'd guess. I mean places like Marshalls and TJ Maxx end up with luxury clothing/bags from time to time, so why would Big Lots be any different?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I really loving hate this cover but I've never seen the movie and need to fix that so here we are.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

wait, they already released the 4k version?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

abelwingnut posted:

wait, they already released the 4k version?

yep out this week.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

My copy came in today as well.

It's still not as bad as that awful Rosemary's Baby cover.

I could have sworn people have finally gotten over that awful looking "2 or three solid color minimalism" aesthetic like, ten years ago.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

I really loving hate this cover but I've never seen the movie and need to fix that so here we are.

Please report back. I loving love The Exorcist!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Thanks for the heads up on Big Lots. There's one a couple minutes from me. Picked up 3 4k discs for $10 a piece. I actually had a $10 coupon, so it was 3 movies for $20.

I guess they're having some sale this weekend with 20% anything in the store. I may poke through the bins again.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

Make sure to watch the theatrical version

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The best secret movie place is dollar tree. Blu rays I’ve bought at dollar tree

It chapter 1
Hobo with a shotgun
The art of self defense
Rocky
The purge election year

I’ve also seen like Killer Klowns and The Dark Knight there too

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

ruddiger posted:

Make sure to watch the theatrical version

Any particular reason? I'll do it for sure, just curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Any particular reason? I'll do it for sure, just curious.

the "version you've never seen" (not really a director's cut so much as a producer's cut) adds a bunch of stuff, most of which actively hurts the pacing and effect of the movie (one scene is admittedly okay but like, you can just look it up on youtube later)