Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Given that where you find Orks, you find a lot of Orks, the only band that could fit them all in is a Ska band. Da Spe-shuls, Lots Iron Frenzy, Da Ullanor Beat, Very Stoopid, Reel Big Squigs, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm a fan of Twisted Squigster.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

They used to all really be into Mektallica back in the day.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nobz North of Ullanor.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Biplane posted:

The Mountain Grottz

I can't top that.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Deth Grottz

Youre fit to learn the propa meanin of a krumpin
Fightin, Waaagh in da brain

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The Rolling WAAGH
Deff Leopard
Guns n DAKKA

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 16, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Five Finger Deff Punch.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
I read Abnett's Riders of the Dead and its good and how come he can't write endings worth a goddamn?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

I read Abnett's Riders of the Dead and its good and how come he can't write endings worth a goddamn?

I heard somewhere that there's limits to how many pages or words they want the average book to be for shipping and blah blah reasons, which makes sense because basically all of his books feel like he's telling this story and then, oops, I've got 75 pages or whatever left, better wrap it up. and then it just speeds through the rest.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Philthy posted:

I'm not up on my Necron lore: What were the "zombie" soldiers? Do the Necrons do this?

Mindshackle scarabs

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ardent Communist posted:

I heard somewhere that there's limits to how many pages or words they want the average book to be for shipping and blah blah reasons, which makes sense because basically all of his books feel like he's telling this story and then, oops, I've got 75 pages or whatever left, better wrap it up. and then it just speeds through the rest.

Welp. I guess we're going to see what Abnett Unchained can do, because they ain't cutting him short anymore.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Arc Hammer posted:

Do you think Orks would listen to Da Beasty Boyz or are they too hung up on the Goff Rokker?
My friend have you heard of Da Revvin' Hortin' Heat

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

Welp. I guess we're going to see what Abnett Unchained can do, because they ain't cutting him short anymore.

Having just re-read TEATD, I'd apreciate if they'd reign him in a TEEEENY bit. Like, tell him you don't have to somehow fit every word in existence into your story

(I did catch a lot more of the story and some of the great touches second time round, but MAN that book is a headache in places)

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

It is a superlative experience as an audiobook though! More words please.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I think that the use of all those 10 dollar words made sense specifically in TEATD in a way they never would have in another book.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Did Neal Stephenson bite him at some point in his life? Accidentally share a drinking glass at a con?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

All I can say is he better not let me down with the ending to the Siege or I will break down and cry myself to sleep every night from then on.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well luckily in this case the ending will be an entire book so at least part of it will be good

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Slept on my last post, Deff Gitz sounds better and change ‘fightin’ to Stompin’. Send tweet.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 16, 2023

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

habeasdorkus posted:

I think that the use of all those 10 dollar words made sense specifically in TEATD in a way they never would have in another book.

Yep the style works very well for End. He's pretty wordy in the Bequin books too though might just be his new thing

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

habeasdorkus posted:

The florid description of the throne room is pure gold, that's some of his best prose ever.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Ardent Communist posted:

I remember an interview with Michael Stackpole from a Battletech book, they (FASA at the time) aimed for around 20-25k words because that fit the format for mass market paperbacks.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Biplane posted:

All I can say is he better not let me down with the ending to the Siege or I will break down and cry myself to sleep every night from then on.

The ending is already written, he just has to color between the lines.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLp0Ycbsr74

He loves playing with the voice modulator on his recording setup. That's a great Ghazzy

https://twitter.com/CGTester/status/1703368791688650913

Apparently he's the narrator for one of the more recent audiobook releases.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/09/17/sunday-preview-knights-vampires-and-classic-warhammer-40000-terrain

You want some new books? Of course ya do!

Another slow pre-order weekend, slow enough that the pre-order is another CE reprint. In this case it's For the Emperor by Sandy Mitchell. Comes with the Rotten to the Core short story as well.
Limited to only 2000 copies.

Then there's also The Chapter’s Due by Graham McNeill in audiobook format.

But it's also an Uriel Ventris story so who gives a drat.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
Is it me or has the release schedule been pretty slow lately, especially when it comes to actually getting any of the bigger plot arcs moving? (It doesn't help that Dawn of Fire is the least exciting thing I've read by them in years)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

von Metternich posted:

Is it me or has the release schedule been pretty slow lately, especially when it comes to actually getting any of the bigger plot arcs moving? (It doesn't help that Dawn of Fire is the least exciting thing I've read by them in years)

They have several books that were completed a year+ ago but their plot lines involve a big twist and shakeup that the Siege of Terra will reveal concerning the emperor. So nothing is really happening until the finale drops.

The third Bequin book and Black Legion books are two I can think of off the top of my head.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I hope the third Iron Hands book isn't far off. I'd be pretty disappointed if it didn't get a conclusion

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

I hope the third Iron Hands book isn't far off. I'd be pretty disappointed if it didn't get a conclusion

Lol

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So I went back and rewatched the Ultramarines movie from 2010 for the first time in years and despite the hate it gets, I now unironically love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fpvOyD5Jr0

I dig the old man super human warrior vibe of the veterans and had completely forgotten how good the the voice acting is (John Hurt, Terrence Stamp and Donald Sumpter? Five Stars) and the overall atmosphere and music of the entire thing is :discourse:

GW does the entire effort and everyone involved a harsh disservice not putting it on WH+ and just forgetting it ever existed.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 19, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm usually a fan of Terrence Stamp but I think he's a bit weak in Ultramarines. He's a bit too hammy which I know is a weird criticism for 40K, but the rest of the cast is locked into this dry sarcastic British humor so his booming declarations (Chaos INDEED. THE BLACK LEGION) feel out of sync with the old man humour in the squad.

Also big props to Sean Pertwee he's always good with his raspy voice but he's never given major credit.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 19, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

:smith:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

AndyElusive posted:

So I went back and rewatched the Ultramarines movie from 2010 for the first time in years and despite the hate it gets, I now unironically love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fpvOyD5Jr0

I dig the old man super human warrior vibe of the veterans and had completely forgotten how good the the voice acting is (John Hurt, Terrence Stamp and Donald Sumpter? Five Stars) and the overall atmosphere and music of the entire thing is :discourse:

GW does the entire effort and everyone involved a harsh disservice not putting it on WH+ and just forgetting it ever existed.

i think the only issue i have and its one i kinda have with space marine, is that its kinda of a lovely intro to the universe. i remember i watched this before i knew what 40k was and none of it really clicked for me. its like when i saw the warcraft movie and just felt like my dad.

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm usually a fan of Terrence Stamp but I think he's a bit weak in Ultramarines. He's a bit too hammy which I know is a weird criticism for 40K, but the rest of the cast is locked into this dry sarcastic British humor so his booming declarations (Chaos INDEED. THE BLACK LEGION) feel out of sync with the old man humour in the squad.

Also big props to Sean Pertwee he's always good with his raspy voice but he's never given major credit.

yeah, sean pertwee is probably one of my favorite Voice actors. radic from killzone 2 is still memorable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONvr_pWH5Vg

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What is the story that teased Votann and had a Mechanicus ark in distress getting a message from a ship that matched the squa-

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I'm mildly curious about Creed: Ashes of Cadia, anyone read it and had thoughts?

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

Sephyr posted:

Did Neal Stephenson bite him at some point in his life? Accidentally share a drinking glass at a con?

I must be the only person that loved the ending of Seveneves. And Anathem. And Snow Crash. And the diamond age. And Zodiac

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

celewign posted:

I must be the only person that loved the ending of Seveneves. And Anathem. And Snow Crash. And the diamond age. And Zodiac

Well, edging -is- a fetish and all.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Deptfordx posted:

I'm mildly curious about Creed: Ashes of Cadia, anyone read it and had thoughts?

I'm about one third in atm, the beginning has a bit of a WW2 commando movie feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So... Anyone have any idea where episode 2 of Pariah Nexus is?

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 21, 2023