Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Gojo also seems to be aware of some sort of physical transformation Sukuna is capable of, no? I can't remember which chapter or panel, but I remember him giving Sukuna poo poo for still using Megumi's appearance and face. There are clearly lots of mysteries surround Sukuna that have yet to be answered, even if it's not more fighting with Gojo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

No Wave posted:

There's no way Kenjaku's master plan is to just have sukuna beat Gojo in the fight we just saw. He's been alive for centuries if his plan was that weak he'd just wait for Gojo to die of old age. So yes something is going to happen and it could be finger.

The plan was for Gojo to be sealed. He legit did not know about Prison Realm's Backdoor.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I’m kind of confused by people describing this as Gojo dunking on Sukuna. While Gojo is able to use RCT to heal, this fight is very clearly pushing him to his limits and he is narrowly avoiding getting killed almost constantly.

Anyway my theory is that Sukuna straight up loses but Kenjaku uses this as a chance to either defeat or cripple Gojo while Gojo is freeing Megumi from Sukuna’s control. Kenjaku also uses Sukuna’s remaining finger on Gojo while he’s weakened.

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Could Kenjaku use curse manipulation to consume sukuna like he did with Mahito? Maybe not his original plan, but something that an opportunistic scoundrel would do if given the chance?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

wedgie deliverer posted:

Could Kenjaku use curse manipulation to consume sukuna like he did with Mahito? Maybe not his original plan, but something that an opportunistic scoundrel would do if given the chance?

Speculated for sure, but Sukuna is also kind of a next level curse/unknowable entity so who knows if hes really subject to such a technique or not.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

wedgie deliverer posted:

Depends? if the same rules apply to him as Tengen maybe. If becoming several cursed objects/fingers make him more akin to a cursed spirit then yes.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
My suspicion is as long as he's hiding inside someone's body and not assumed his 4 armed destrutor form he doesn't count. And this is specifically WHY he has kept possessing people.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Gearhead posted:

My suspicion is as long as he's hiding inside someone's body and not assumed his 4 armed destrutor form he doesn't count. And this is specifically WHY he has kept possessing people.

Wasn't Suguru the first person ever to have CSM, though? I'm pretty sure Kenjaku said he'd never seen anything like it. Maybe Sukuna is worried about it now, but it seems weird that he would have planned for it in advance.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Reading the raw, did we somehow skip a chapter or what?

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Lily Catts posted:

Reading the raw, did we somehow skip a chapter or what?

hm I went and read it too
Jesus Christ WHAT??? Just waiting for the thread reaction now. Anyway, the rough translation says that Sukuna took notice from Mahoraga on how to bypass infinity and used cleave on "reality" around Gojo, offing him offscreen - after all, he never managed to react neither to Sukuna's Cleave nor to the Mahoraga Cleave. He basically lost 2 chapters ago. To salt the wounds: tomorrow he's going to get sealed in the anime

Char fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 20, 2023

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I expected him to die, but we might get to see the actual death in the future. I hope, at least. Offscreening the event after declaring Gojo the winner would be a bit...too weird. No last words to the gang and no saving of Megumi either? That's a shame. Hopefully he does what he did last time he "died" and just comes back stronger, but a part of me wishes he stays dead as well so the peanut gallery can get more fights

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Sep 20, 2023

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

I expected him to die, but we might get to see the actual death in the future. I hope, at least. Offscreening the event after declaring Gojo the winner would be a bit...too weird. No last words to the gang and no saving of Megumi either? That's a shame. Hopefully he does what he did last time he "died" and just comes back stronger, but a part of me wishes he stays dead as well so the peanut gallery can get more fights

but
in t he official translation, it's Yuji and Kusakabe declaring him the winner. I mean, the peanut gallery has been a proxy for the viewer but it has been inconsistent in predicting what could've happened next. DAAMN what a chapter. I wonder what Kashimo can expect to do against this Sukuna though.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Char posted:

hm I went and read it too
Jesus Christ WHAT??? Just waiting for the thread reaction now. Anyway, the rough translation says that Sukuna took notice from Mahoraga on how to bypass infinity and used cleave on "reality" around Gojo, offing him offscreen - after all, he never managed to react neither to Sukuna's Cleave nor to the Mahoraga Cleave. He basically lost 2 chapters ago. To salt the wounds: tomorrow he's going to get sealed in the anime

He had to lose. If he won this fight the story simply stops, the other side can't match him but Yuji's side combined has a chance at Sukuna.. But I don't think he's dead, based on the rough dialogue it feels like he was being told by Nanami he can proceed to the afterlife with them or stay.

Honestly I want to see how the translation plays out, but I think he's just out for the rest of the story until the end where maybe it's like when he lost to Toji and finds another awakening within himself.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Did Mahoraga fire a slash that we missed in the previous chapter? it does feel like we skipped a scene. The reference to a samurai general is kind of on the nose for those old samurai films where a character has been cut in half but doesn’t realize it.

And drat, we all knew this would happen but Gege actually pulled the trigger.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

If that's it and he's dead then I don't even know what to think lol, I would be surprised but also just, what a madman if Gege offscreens that moment and just leaves it that way.

edit: you might want to spoiler that, poster below me

Tosk fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Sep 20, 2023

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Didn't he make it clear that you gotta wreck his brain to kill him? I'm not sure how cutting him in half would do the trick

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
It's Gojover.....

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

that leak has to be at least missing a page or something.

But also :negative:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

E: double post whoops

yota821
Sep 3, 2006

yum posted:

Did Mahoraga fire a slash that we missed in the previous chapter? it does feel like we skipped a scene. The reference to a samurai general is kind of on the nose for those old samurai films where a character has been cut in half but doesn’t realize it.

And drat, we all knew this would happen but Gege actually pulled the trigger.

No, the slash came from Sukuna, he used Mahoraga as a test case in how to adapt to inviolability, and then basically “cut the world” with his own slash.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:goku:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I see we're back to Culling Game masturbatory bleakness now.

EDIT: Honestly, this is on me, but I really thought Gege would have done something more interesting. This is just... bad. Genuinely sours me on the whole fight.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 20, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Even Orochimaru at least lost his arms to the third. Sukuna came out of this stronger... kind of crazy to spend a year and a half of the manga on breaking gojo out then killing him like this.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

No Wave posted:

Even Orochimaru at least lost his arms to the third. Sukuna came out of this stronger... kind of crazy to spend a year and a half of the manga on breaking gojo out then killing him like this.

The thing that bothers me is that no path has been laid out to get out of this conundrum. I'm not against Sukuna winning, but the way it happened, and the way he'll inevitably lose will *not* be satisfying, and it's hard to even feel excited about Kenjaku's defeat, considering he probably will just get to kill a bunch of people and then die after achieving his goals.

Worst part is that at this point I'm genuinely expecting some kind of time travel/reversal ending, that's how little faith I have in Gege Akutani wrapping this in a satisfying way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like people are kind of flipping on a dime here? The last week was "Wow, Gojo won unambiguously! What a twist!" and now this week it is "Gojo is 100% for sure unambiguously dead and did no lasting damage" Like I'm as critical as anyone about the output of the series since the Culling Game started but the last few months have been literally nonstop 'it looks like (x) is DEAD FOREVER" "Oh wait NM" stuff.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

No Wave posted:

He has no Domain Expansion, which is the one complete no chance of winning against ability he has against everyone. No Mahoraga either and he's low on curse energy output. He's about to get hit by just about every heavy hitter they have and besides Kashimo, none of them have any qualms about jumping him as a group.

I don't know how they deal with his slashes or whatever his hidden CT is, but in his current state I can see a path to victory pretty easy

Plus I just don't agree with the issue taken with him being beaten. It had to happen narratively, if Gojo wins the manga is just straight up over. Gojo cleans up Uraume and Kenjaku without even thinking twice. Now the way it was done, I'm not fully sold on but it makes sense , it was setup in prior chapters when Mahoraga used Sukunas slashing technique himself so I can live with it. Plus we have the chapters that come after, which I'm hoping give more context on what happened and what we can expect to happen next with Gojo.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like people are kind of flipping on a dime here? The last week was "Wow, Gojo won unambiguously! What a twist!" and now this week it is "Gojo is 100% for sure unambiguously dead and did no lasting damage" Like I'm as critical as anyone about the output of the series since the Culling Game started but the last few months have been literally nonstop 'it looks like (x) is DEAD FOREVER" "Oh wait NM" stuff.

I mean we've had the near-death experience there. Even if Gojo's survived he's out of the game, so we're still back at the point where Sukuna's just not put in a position where it's realistic to expect him to lose. Lower curse output clearly didn't stop him from pulling off a technique that even he admits should basically be close to impossible.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

No Wave posted:

Well Sukuna got pretty hosed up here too and he lost Mahoraga (and every other shadow as well?).

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Theory stuff:

Gojo had to lose for a number of reasons, but mostly because I think his character is ultimately more meaningful as a tragic figure than anything else. There are some pretty substantial Buddhist themes in the story, and I think the emotional core of this is that Gojo is too attached to both Geto and his past failures - he can't really ascend the way he did before because he can't let go. He knew he needed allies, strong and wise, but in the end he indulged a selfish desire to know and fulfill himself on his own against Sukuna, and lost his life.

Now it's on his students to try and succeed where he failed.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

ImpAtom posted:

after the flashback and the next fighter getting in the arena it’s over

Char
Jan 5, 2013

wedgie deliverer posted:

Theory stuff:

Gojo had to lose for a number of reasons, but mostly because I think his character is ultimately more meaningful as a tragic figure than anything else. There are some pretty substantial Buddhist themes in the story, and I think the emotional core of this is that Gojo is too attached to both Geto and his past failures - he can't really ascend the way he did before because he can't let go. He knew he needed allies, strong and wise, but in the end he indulged a selfish desire to know and fulfill himself on his own against Sukuna, and lost his life.

I agree and it's the best outcome, narratively speaking. I appreciate Akutami having the guts to off Gojo this way, and the flashback with his only real moral compass (Geto, Nanami, Haibara and principal Yaga) telling him that he hosed up a bit but he also did good in being a model for his students.
Also: Maki holding back Yuta; a highly motivated Kashimo going in. I hope he'll go FULL HAM

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Feels weird to have this essentially happen off screen. There’s kind of a disconnect here where we had a chapter of this fight end with Gojo potentially getting his head cut off as a reference to the whole “your mistake was not chopping off my head”. He was already in the process of healing from the self inflicted injuries he took from purple so would that not have also started healing being potentially sliced in half? Weird chapter!

I don’t really know how to feel about it. I agree with others that Gojo needed to lose in some way for the others to get some time to shine but this feels kind of cheap. Never really a fan of “actually i had this bullshit trump card this whole time!!!” fight endings

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

My full honest to god theory before the leak was that Sukuna retreats and doesn’t die, but Kashimo immediately goes after Gojo because he’s the strongest.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

yota821 posted:

No, the slash came from Sukuna, he used Mahoraga as a test case in how to adapt to inviolability, and then basically “cut the world” with his own slash.

I can't really make sense of the rough TL. Sukuna doesn't say he performed the attack, only that Mahoraga's slashing attack was different from his and that it manipulated its own CE to slash existence itself, which was impossible even for him.

wedgie deliverer posted:

Theory stuff:

:hmmyes:

Char
Jan 5, 2013

yum posted:

I can't really make sense of the rough TL. Sukuna doesn't say he performed the attack, only that Mahoraga's slashing attack was different from his and that it manipulated its own CE to slash existence itself, which was impossible even for him.

My understanding

JJK told us more than once that the truly broken powers are usually those that can be applied to concepts. From what I'm inferring from the rough translation, Sukuna thought Mahoraga was some sort of cursed energy analysis entity, who could recognize the domains (in the logical sense) of un-applicability of cursed techniques; when Sukuna made it fire a Cleave, it went through, making Limitless ineffective. Sukuna decoded how Mahoraga did it - his theory confirmed, he replicated it: "apply Cleave to Reality", it doesn't matter if Gojo creates space around him. He's still creating something that is part of "reality". Probably Sukuna didn't even know he could attempt something like this, otherwise he would've killed Gojo much faster.

edit: yeah there's a better translation out there that confirms this, more or less

Char fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 20, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I want the translation to be out so I can look at the black bars.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

theory/wish: Gojo is like 99% on deaths door and could hold out to heal himself up / wait for assistance but he’ll decide to use whatever bit of energy he has left to give up his own life to save megumi somehow.

purple nurple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So doesn't this mean that every single person watching the fight all immediately jump Sukuna now that he's weaker than he's probably ever been? Like we're talking 7-8 dudes all ganging up on beating this guy's rear end