Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

orange juche posted:

I mean feasibly you can insert hardware vulnerable chips in the supply chain and then get in via the cellular modem in the car, but it kinda depends on where and what chips would be compromised as to what you can do.

I don't think the car makers need any help adding vulnerabilities, they're drat good at that on their own. :allears:

Wonder how much a Flipper Zero runs these days..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Which car was it that would unlock itself if you pulled on the windshield wiper arms?

It was either the Altima or a VW product. I swear I remember it was one of those because I work with people who drive both.

Not that I'm trying to break in to either of their cars.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I'm just going to gesture wildly at Kia here

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

I'm just going to gesture wildly at Kia here

Yeah not having immobilizers in post 2010 cars is insane.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I have a lot of emotions at once

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

That Works posted:

I have a lot of emotions at once

relevant username

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Waiting to make a left turn behind a few people at a light, I look to my left and saw something that just makes my blood boil.

They had a less than 2 year old baby riding up in the front seat.

Held in the passenger's lap.

It was a Jeep Gladiator with no doors.

I mean, stay outta people's business, cops make the situation worse, people are trying to get by... but man, what do you even do? The kid doesn't have a choice in the matter.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
When I was a kid (probably like 9 or 10), I was in the passenger seat unbelted. Dad slammed on the brakes, I don't remember if we hit someone or just barely stopped. My head hit the windshield and cracked it good. I didn't feel a thing.

Guess babies heads are tough.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
That kid is going to be able to write Boomer "In my day" posts on facebook at age 12

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
https://i.imgur.com/gYq3RnD.mp4

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:piss:

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Route 7 right near the Greensboro metro? That area looks very familiar.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MrLogan posted:

Definitely not Tysons, the Metro walkways don't have windows like those.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

HDC
Mar 11, 2006

MrLogan posted:

It’s the Moscow ring road between Profsoyuznaya and Leninsky, the camera is in the left northbound lane.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

orange juche posted:

The defcon car hacking village is super cool and also super terrifying that no automakers take it seriously. CANBUS is definitely a product of its time (literally zero security if you can get access to those bus wires) that automakers kept stapling poo poo to because "let's use CANBUS" was the style at the time, much like Abes onion on his belt.

We literally live in the cyberpunk future.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We literally live in the cyberpunk future.

All the lovely parts with just a few of the benefits

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

unmuted and was not disappointed

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

NitroSpazzz posted:

All the lovely parts with just a few of the benefits

yeah

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The back of the seat of a new Jeep Grand Wagoneer (it's in service because kids kicked the back of the seat):

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Godzilla07 posted:

The back of the seat of a new Jeep Grand Wagoneer (it's in service because kids kicked the back of the seat):

Christ

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Is that all there for seat ventilation?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Godzilla07 posted:

<no, no, NO GOD NO.gif>

edit: follow up posts say all the air lines and valves are for massaging features.
Why the dumbass engineers couldn't fathom that there would be children in the back seat doing what they do and ARMOR that bitch, I don't know.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 20, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
And I thought my Q7s seats were advanced....

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

<no, no, NO GOD NO.gif>

edit: follow up posts say all the air lines and valves are for massaging features.
Why the dumbass engineers couldn't fathom that there would be children in the back seat doing what they do and ARMOR that bitch, I don't know.
Can we as a country just concentrate on building decent cars that the average person can afford, and not $70,000 pieces of poo poo with casting sand in the cooling system and loving massage seats?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
"How could a Jeep possibly cost over six figures?!"

Godzilla07 posted:

Oh.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
audi v8 cam chains, seat edition.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

stealie72 posted:

Can we as a country just concentrate on building decent cars that the average person can afford, and not $70,000 pieces of poo poo with casting sand in the cooling system and loving massage seats?

Considering the slapfight in the EV thread over how inconvenient it is to press a button to start your car, or some posters saying they'll never buy a car without ventilated seats, the answer is probably no.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Considering the slapfight in the EV thread over how inconvenient it is to press a button to start your car, or some posters saying they'll never buy a car without ventilated seats, the answer is probably no.
You're probably right. I'll just be over here looking at the small/cheap cars that the rest of the world gets, as usual.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

stealie72 posted:

What are ya, a Communist?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

90s Solo Cup posted:

What are ya, a Communist?
I said DECENT cars.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Goddamn I'm never selling my FIAT

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Nidhg00670000 posted:

LOL I wonder if I'm that poster. My wife had ventilated seats as her peak requirement. Meanwhile I wanted cloth seats for my car. I would like them to be heated and I have no regrets buying one without.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Dunno, technology can be a good thing. My 1988 993cc 3 cylinder 1700lb Daihatsu got 43mpg, whereas my 2015 993cc Ford Fiesta gets the same economy despite being 900lbs heavier, but has almost 3 times the power.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Strong contenders in this video...
Most Evil Cars in the World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c60hID-w4Ig

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

stealie72 posted:

Is that all there for seat ventilation?

With cars becoming incredibly complex and filled with computers, those packaging them have to be more clever about where they can stash them all which has led to this being a thing.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

You'd think they'd at least put a stiff cover over it with some structural support. Kids aren't the only ones with feet.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

CommieGIR posted:

And I thought my Q7s seats were advanced....

Yeah, I got a MB W221 with dynamic seats which are always a PITA...when I yanked the back cover off I was like...woah.

Glad to see someone else took the beer can away. And TBH, that actually looks organized and somewhat serviceable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

No. 6 posted:

Goddamn I'm never selling my FIAT

because no one will buy it?