Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Does anyone have a Ruff Land kennel for car travel?

I do, along with like 70% of the dog sport folks I know. I think they’re a good balance between safety and affordability (compared to like an impact crate or variocage). I currently have 2, one for the car and one at home, but I’ll probably pick up a second car crate when they release Malibu again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Let me know if you get it. I need the 90lb+ stuff and it can be a bitch if they are out and I have to wait.

Also it’s stupid expensive.

I got it. Only took 11 days, which for 'standard post' from Australia to the east coast of the US seems pretty good. Everything looks right, though my dog isn't due for another dose until 10/15. All in all it seems like there really is no catch and you can just save hundreds of dollars by ordering these from Australia :thumbsup:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

johnny park posted:

I got it. Only took 11 days, which for 'standard post' from Australia to the east coast of the US seems pretty good. Everything looks right, though my dog isn't due for another dose until 10/15. All in all it seems like there really is no catch and you can just save hundreds of dollars by ordering these from Australia :thumbsup:

Hell yes lol gonna place an order

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm so mad.
Brisket is at my dad's since Wednesday because we just had a baby and he decided to bring him over to his girlfriend's house and didn't bring the transition leash, even though 1) he knows Brisket only has that leash because he's a super nervous pup 2) Brisket does NOT get along with the little puppy there and will snap.

So sure enough other dog gets the zoomies and brisket snaps at him and now my dad wants to bring him home early.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Love it when you give very clear instructions and people just don't loving listen.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Having a weird issue with potty training the new pup; we’ve got him going outside to pee, but even right after coming in he still has occasional accidents inside despite having peed once or even twice outside. Any suggestions how to encourage him to pee all the way outside when he pees? He goes from zero to piss so fast it’s hard to intercept, and we’re still working on signal interpretation (he gets antsy, but that’s practically his default reaction to life right now, focusing isn’t exactly a strength of his). We try to go out every hour, but his failure to pee everything is complicating that.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MadDogMike posted:

Having a weird issue with potty training the new pup; we’ve got him going outside to pee, but even right after coming in he still has occasional accidents inside despite having peed once or even twice outside. Any suggestions how to encourage him to pee all the way outside when he pees? He goes from zero to piss so fast it’s hard to intercept, and we’re still working on signal interpretation (he gets antsy, but that’s practically his default reaction to life right now, focusing isn’t exactly a strength of his). We try to go out every hour, but his failure to pee everything is complicating that.

Are you letting him have more outside time when he pees or does that end the walk?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Love it when you give very clear instructions and people just don't loving listen.

everybody is always 100% convinced they know every goddamn thing about handling dogs

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Got woken up by some very quiet whining at 3 am today, so I let Pongo out and am glad I did - one of the biggest piles of poo poo he’s ever made was out there this morning.

Good job letting me know and not waking anyone else up, but buddy, why didn’t you do that when you were let out for last call at 10pm?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

devmd01 posted:

Lbut buddy, why didn’t you do that when you were let out for last call at 10pm?

Welcome to owning a puppy.

Enjoy your lack of sleep.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
He’s fully grown. I suspect him eating some goose poop yesterday contributed to his gastrointestinal issues, today has been….gross.

I also apparently managed to pull a chest muscle throwing the ball this morning, so that’s fun.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My dog caught a juvenile rabbit in the yard today. I didn't realize how accurate squeak toys are compared to rabbit noises

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

HootTheOwl posted:

Are you letting him have more outside time when he pees or does that end the walk?

He always get to wander around before and after peeing (I appreciate getting him the activity even if he doesn't do anything really, it's a good way to burn off that puppy energy and it's a pretty secure fenced space that's withstood multiple beagles at this point). Although a lot of times he pees then immediately races for the back door himself despite me bringing him out again to the yard to check. Doesn't help he's kind of chickenshit, any random noise he doesn't recognize seems to freak him out (got a laugh today playing back a video of him deciding to bark at this statue he knocked over in the back yard and he immediately panicked wondering who the barking dog was :D) so he decides he's done early. May have found one trick to get his signaling on needing to go out clearer by accident; our neighbor suggested a bully stick to chew on today and he loves that thing so much the second he pops up from it you know to take him out because he doesn't stop for any other reason but bladder trouble (or occasionally water, but he usually drinks then bolts back to the stick in that case).

Flesh Forge posted:

everybody is always 100% convinced they know every goddamn thing about handling dogs

Not me, I always note obedience class tends to help me more than the dog generally. Still gotta get this one scheduled for it.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

The Slack Lagoon posted:

My dog caught a juvenile rabbit in the yard today. I didn't realize how accurate squeak toys are compared to rabbit noises

Yeah mine got a baby rabbit last spring, a few quick and hard murder shakes then threw it against a wall. My wife heard the noise it made from inside the house. Harrowing.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Flesh Forge posted:

Mate, the number of people who walk up to Freja and pet her, without even looking at me, let alone speaking to me, even when we're in the middle of something, makes me rage.

If she wasn't so loving cute people would just ignore her but it makes it so drat hard to train her in places with distractions. The worst thing is she's grown to actively watch people and try to get their attention now, just to make dealing with her reactivity to people all that much harder.

She's friendly as gently caress, she's never going to hurt anyone, but that's the problem.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Same with Brisket, I usually pull him away and warn people about how shy he is and kids seem to understand that means to just leave him alone but adults want to be the dog whisperer and still pet him.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

MadDogMike posted:

I think this is pretty standard for really little puppies. They don't have enough control yet to "get it all out" in one shot, so to speak. Just have to wait a little longer outside, I'm afraid there's not really anything else to do.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I'm interested in getting a dog. We're investigating breeds at the moment, focusing mostly on corgis and similar sized dogs as I want a warm footrest we currently live in an apartment and after pet sitting a couple of white swiss shepherds for a week we've learned that they’re much too big.

My last dog died in the late 90s so my knowledge is pretty rusty and I want to do the right thing. Are there any good books on living with & training dogs that you could recommend? The more recent the better as I don’t want to use outdated methods. I live in Finland if that’s relevant in any way. ☺️

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Creature posted:

I'm interested in getting a dog. We're investigating breeds at the moment, focusing mostly on corgis and similar sized dogs as I want a warm footrest we currently live in an apartment and after pet sitting a couple of white swiss shepherds for a week we've learned that they’re much too big.

My last dog died in the late 90s so my knowledge is pretty rusty and I want to do the right thing. Are there any good books on living with & training dogs that you could recommend? The more recent the better as I don’t want to use outdated methods. I live in Finland if that’s relevant in any way. ☺️

These two in the OP are great, I think they've been combined into one book now but I'm not sure if it is free
https://www.dogstardaily.com/files/BEFORE%20You%20Get%20Your%20Puppy.pdf
https://www.dogstardaily.com/node/2680

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Strongly advise you not to get any sort of "work breed" or other type of super drive-y dog and you should consider adopting an adult dog from a shelter/rescue, raising a puppy is an enormous challenge (as you can see from recent posts). Especially if you live in an apartment, you really don't want a high energy dog that will be looking for things to do when you're not around.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Seconded. I always recommend adopting an adult dog. I recommend looking for a local foster agency that gives a good report on a dog's temperment and reactivity to different things.

A puppy, even from a reputable breeder is a roulette wheel that could land on "bugfuck crazy".

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Yeah mine got a baby rabbit last spring, a few quick and hard murder shakes then threw it against a wall. My wife heard the noise it made from inside the house. Harrowing.

The rabbit survived but is still hanging around our yard. I guess it craves death.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
What I will say, to play devil's advocate, if you really want a puppy, get a puppy. But however much work you think it is, double it then double it again and add sleep deprivation to it..

It's great, but it's tiring. We prob won't ever get another puppy after this one, just because of the time commitment, but it's been a great, if not expensive experience.

Also, I know you said book, but I'd also suggest checking out kikopip or Zak George on YouTube.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Having a puppy was not that difficult for me, but I have a large fenced yard and was able to send him to daycare for much of his 'chew everything' puppyhood. I can't imagine having a puppy in an apartment or anywhere without direct 'open the door and you can go pee out there off leash because its cold and I'm half naked and sleepy and not going out there with you' access to fenced yard space unless you just decided it was going to be an inside dog and trained it to use pads in a particular corner or something. I also had a precious angelbaby of a puppy who started sleeping through the night like 5 days after I brought him home at 8 weeks, which is uncommon.

One thing I have liked about getting a puppy (aside from them being so freakin cute) is that I know whatever weird/bad habits or behavioral problems he might have are kind of my fault, and the flip side of that is that I can take pride in having raised and trained a (mostly) well behaved dog. I think knowing that those habits will be my fault has really encouraged me to work on them, whereas with a rescue I think I might have said 'welp this guy is a weird antisocial dog that pees in the corner and barks at everything that moves and that's just who he is and I'm not gonna fix that.' There are absolutely plenty of great rescues out there without any problems and any behavior problems they might have can likely be fixed or improved (and that can definitely be its own reward and challenge), but for me, a person with no children, it has been a fun little adventure in parenting. As a first time solo dog owner too, having a puppy was great to see him develop through different stages and I think I have a little better understand of dogbrains because of that. I think now that I've done the puppy thing I would probably more open to adopting in the future.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I lived in a one bedroom when I got Brisket and he was easy unlike my last dog when I was still living at home and was much harder

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Oh and the biggest reason to start with a puppy is you get to be with them longer

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Also, I know you said book, but I'd also suggest checking out kikopip or Zak George on YouTube.

Kikopup is super good, and all her old videos still stand up very well today.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Thanks for the advice all :) I'll take a look at those links.

We have also considered rescues, however we're leaning towards a puppy as (like Kaiser Schnitzel posted) we like the idea of raising it, taking ownership of its behaviours/habits/weirdnesses, and watching as it develops into its own little personality.

Our apartment is decently sized, and in a few months we'll actually have an entire room which we'll be able to use as its 'safe' space, free of chewable wires and rugs and such. The area around us is very dog-friendly, with plenty of grassy areas and forests to explore.

We both work from home, which is one of the main reasons why we think a puppy is a better option - we'll actually be around to train it.

Edit: also, the rescue dog situation here is fairly limited - basically ‘emotional/behavioural issues’ or ‘stray from Eastern Europe’.

Creature fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 23, 2023

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Just took the pup out for her 2nd walk and had 2 separate "it's ok my dogs friendly" idiots with no lead/leash on their dogs.

My dog has a giant loving cone on, I don't care how friendly your dog is, when I tell you to get your loving dog, get your loving dog. It's not hard is it?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hello again thread.
I decided (correctly) that I needed a great dane again, but with my new job and location, timing was always going to be tricky. I'm too busy in the summer to adequately train a new puppy and since living in the North, I also really don't want to do potty training when it's -25 outside...there's also only like 2 breeders in the country I trust, so the chances of them having a litter at the right time, as always going to be tricky....but, 2 months ago one of them called, saying they had a puppy available from their latest litter and after double checking with work (As she'll be coming with me to work on most days), I happily said yes.
Soo...say hello to Sif, the Great Dane.

Due to the size restrictions on pets in cabins on Canadian airlines, I had to pick her up at 7.5 weeks.
The first 36 hours have been....interesting. Crate training has resulted in all my neighbours knowing that I have new puppy, but it's getting better already.
She's already learned to climb up stairs, but potty training, well......
Pooping is fine. Plenty of warning. Peeing....none, zero. We have now agreed on a spot outside where she will pee almost every time I take her out, so that's a start, but I have to be sooo vigilant when she's out of her crate. Anyway, early days yet.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I love dogs and puppies

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Just took the pup out for her 2nd walk and had 2 separate "it's ok my dogs friendly" idiots with no lead/leash on their dogs.

This happened to our puppy and she’s new to the world and neighborhood and sometimes she needs her space!!!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Lookit those mitts! 😍

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Brisket came home today!
He is scared of the new baby especially when she gets loud

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Good god the size of those paws. Such a lovely pup.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Remember to ask for the pupbucket and not a pupcup

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Get a pupucket and a mop for that drooly rear end d-word

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My Dane doesn’t really drool.

She will when she gets hot on walks but besides that she’s pretty ok.

That being said her water dish is outside because she makes one hell of a mess.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I just experienced my first full-on over-stimulated puppy...Holy crap. Despite my (maybe not best) efforts, she only slept an hour or so during the day and that was a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

MarcusSA posted:

My Dane doesn’t really drool.

She will when she gets hot on walks but besides that she’s pretty ok.

That being said her water dish is outside because she makes one hell of a mess.

Jarvis's best buddy in our neighborhood is a doberman that's 2 weeks older than him.

Now, Jarvis can eat and drink without hardly even getting his doodle beard damp. It's actually kind of impressive.

When she comes over to play, we have to follow her around with a mop whenever she drinks because it's like someone shaking a loving firehose.