Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone here have experience with home solar panels?

I’ve been dealing with a company called Lumio and the numbers in their sales pitch sounded good, obviously, in terms of energy savings but there are a few red flags. First, they contacted me by going door to door. Second, they wanted me to sign a contract for a 25 year loan before giving me a kWh production number. I did sign, since there’s a window to cancel it

Cancel it right now. Those red flags are the size of a skyscraper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

hark posted:

are lath and plaster walls backed by regular studs usually? or how does that work? my house was built in the 1920s and then got an addition added in the 70s and got "partially" remodeled sometime after that. I bought it in 2001ish. 1 of the rooms is lath and plaster with cheap faux wood paneling over top of it, which makes the walls all wavy, and I've been thinking about trying to fix it, but I've never messed with any of that stuff before. is this something that will be extremely annoying to replace/fix?

Yeah, it'll just be studs under there. If your house is like mine, the paneling got put up because the plaster was trashed. So your options are... not great. You might have a huge amount of plaster repair, up to just replacing it all. You might need to rip it down and replace with drywall. You will probably be able to find someone to do plaster work, especially if you're in an area with lots of older homes with plaster, though it's probably not going to be cheap. Or you could teach yourself to do plaster, which from what I've seen is pretty complicated.

Whatever you do, it's probably not going to be a small or simple project.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

hark posted:

are lath and plaster walls backed by regular studs usually? or how does that work? my house was built in the 1920s and then got an addition added in the 70s and got "partially" remodeled sometime after that. I bought it in 2001ish.

Define "regular"? In the 20s depending on area it could be anything from true dimensional lumber to traditional finished lumber or anything in between and the spacing could be anything from "regular" 16" to something wider like 24" to nearly random no measurement devices involved.

hark posted:

1 of the rooms is lath and plaster with cheap faux wood paneling over top of it, which makes the walls all wavy, and I've been thinking about trying to fix it, but I've never messed with any of that stuff before. is this something that will be extremely annoying to replace/fix?

I would plan for a complete removal of that wall including lathe, re-framing, and drywalling the new framing. If it ends up being less work than that, great! But for good results it probably will not be.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone here have experience with home solar panels?

I’ve been dealing with a company called Lumio and the numbers in their sales pitch sounded good, obviously, in terms of energy savings but there are a few red flags. First, they contacted me by going door to door.

All the other stuff is insane, and I can't believe you signed a contract before they gave you the numbers, but the bolded bit is all you needed to know.

If you want a major purchase - be it a roof, or solar, or new windows, or a new driveway, or loving anything - contact the people who do this thing and get competing quotes etc. You don't want the people going door to door. Frankly if they need to knock on random doors to try and drum up business you don't want them doing work on your home.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I’ve been dealing with a company called Lumio and the numbers in their sales pitch sounded good, obviously, in terms of energy savings but there are a few red flags. First, they contacted me by going door to door. Second, they wanted me to sign a contract for a 25 year loan before giving me a kWh production number. I did sign, since there’s a window to cancel it, and the guaranteed annual production is about 60% of what my house used in the last year. The annual loan payments are comparable to my current electric bill on average, which would mean a steep increase to energy costs. Admittedly my energy saving habits could be better, but that’s beside the point. Reviews online for this company vary wildly and it’s hard to tell how many of the positive reviews are bought and paid for these days.

The only way I can see this making sense financially is with substantial inflation to electric prices and staying in the house for quite a while (I plan to, but things can change).

Seriously, re-reading this and :psyduck:

Cancel this poo poo now, drop whatever else you are doing and make this your task for the day. Call in sick, cancel your date night, skip grandma's funeral.

Pictured: "a few red flags" as observed by Something Awful user Alfred P. Pseudonym as they sign a 25 year loan agreement:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I already called and sent the cancellation papers. I’ll take the L on this one. I was dumb.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I already called and sent the cancellation papers. I’ll take the L on this one. I was dumb.

Get a fuckin read receipt or certified mail or whatever on those cancellation papers

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

Get a fuckin read receipt or certified mail or whatever on those cancellation papers

This.

Losing that communication is all part of the grift you signed your name to.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah, it'll just be studs under there. If your house is like mine, the paneling got put up because the plaster was trashed. So your options are... not great. You might have a huge amount of plaster repair, up to just replacing it all. You might need to rip it down and replace with drywall. You will probably be able to find someone to do plaster work, especially if you're in an area with lots of older homes with plaster, though it's probably not going to be cheap. Or you could teach yourself to do plaster, which from what I've seen is pretty complicated.

Whatever you do, it's probably not going to be a small or simple project.

How often are the walls even going to be straight in these old homes? I'm wondering if his walls are wavy because the studs aren't perfectly straight vs the wood paneling.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Also depends on what "wavy" means. From my house I'd take that to mean the paneling is maybe loose and not perfectly flush with the wall, but it could mean the walls themselves are noticeably wavy.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Motronic posted:

Define "regular"? In the 20s depending on area it could be anything from true dimensional lumber to traditional finished lumber or anything in between and the spacing could be anything from "regular" 16" to something wider like 24" to nearly random no measurement devices involved.

I would plan for a complete removal of that wall including lathe, re-framing, and drywalling the new framing. If it ends up being less work than that, great! But for good results it probably will not be.

maybe a dumb question, but if I'm reframing the wall, I can just do that in small sections at a time while the existing wall is there, right? like put up a piece and then cut a piece out, and continue in that sequence?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

FISHMANPET posted:

Also depends on what "wavy" means. From my house I'd take that to mean the paneling is maybe loose and not perfectly flush with the wall, but it could mean the walls themselves are noticeably wavy.

there are gaps in waves, where the ceiling meets the walls, of about a quarter inch in various spots. I assumed it was because the plaster job was uneven, but I have no idea because I've never looked under the paneling.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Uh sure but you aren't really going to be saving time unless you are demoing a section and leaving the mess everywhere until you demo everything. Plaster and lathe is pretty messy when you start loving with it and I'd prefer to do it once and do cleanup once.

EDIT: I'm dumb and skimming and didn't realize he also wanted to do the framing in sections, I was thinking just the removal.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 20, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

hark posted:

maybe a dumb question, but if I'm reframing the wall, I can just do that in small sections at a time while the existing wall is there, right? like put up a piece and then cut a piece out, and continue in that sequence?

Not if you want the wall to be straight and flat.

You don't need to take down the existing wall (probably). You're just gonna take down the plaster and lath, evaluate what you've got and - worst case - build a new wall directly in front of the old one. Depending on what you find you may just need to shim some existing studs and sill/sole plates to give the drywall a flat surface to attach to, or add/replace a few studs.

When you don't know what you're got to work with behind a wall you really can't make a solid plan and you definitely can't do it in pieces.

edit: and of course I'm talking about a flat, blank wall. Doors/windows/etc would make some methods better/faster/easier than others

Motronic fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 20, 2023

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

The Dave posted:

Uh sure but you aren't really going to be saving time unless you are demoing a section and leaving the mess everywhere until you demo everything. Plaster and lathe is pretty messy when you start loving with it and I'd prefer to do it once and do cleanup once.

I'm more concerned since it's an exterior wall. I don't want to just knock a wall out and then have nothing be holding it up. I'm not a contractor so I don't know if that's a misplaced fear, but that was the first thing I thought when considering the framing being replaced.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Johnny Truant posted:

Done and done. I was a dumb idiot and I appreciate everyone setting me right on this. Idk what came over me. If I receive any bill or anyone tries to work on my house I’ll be lawyering up.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Are your posts admissible, I wonder

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Weekend plan options:
-Work on my house
-Work on buddy 1's house
-Work on buddy 2's house
-Go skiing
Hmmm...

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Epitope posted:

Weekend plan options:
-Work on my house
-Work on buddy 1's house
-Work on buddy 2's house
-Go skiing
Hmmm...

go skiing and get injured so you can’t do 2 & 3

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Skiing might be the least likely to result in injury. Had to stop helping the couple who herneated both their backs on their self build

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I'm house shopping and a sticking point is that I really want two bathrooms, or at least 1.5, but most places with that add-on are out of my price range.

Is it stupid to buy a one-bathroom house and just plan to convert a closet (hall or bedroom) into a new (full or half) bathroom? And, on the off-chance that this is not the dumbest idea you've heard today, what is a general range of costs for that? Assume that I'm not fancy, and I'm happy with builder-grade for all the fixtures (floor, tub, etc).

Note that the cost difference between houses (that I like) with one bathroom and houses (that I like) with two is about 20-40k, so unless a bathroom addition costs more than that, it's possibly worth it in terms of raw dollars.

Alternately, if this is the wrong forum, I'm happy to be pointed in the right direction and sent on my way!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I'm house shopping and a sticking point is that I really want two bathrooms, or at least 1.5, but most places with that add-on are out of my price range.

Is it stupid to buy a one-bathroom house and just plan to convert a closet (hall or bedroom) into a new (full or half) bathroom? And, on the off-chance that this is not the dumbest idea you've heard today, what is a general range of costs for that? Assume that I'm not fancy, and I'm happy with builder-grade for all the fixtures (floor, tub, etc).

Note that the cost difference between houses (that I like) with one bathroom and houses (that I like) with two is about 20-40k, so unless a bathroom addition costs more than that, it's possibly worth it in terms of raw dollars.

Alternately, if this is the wrong forum, I'm happy to be pointed in the right direction and sent on my way!

From having viewed some one bathroom houses when I was looking to find my first home, your main issue will probably be floorplan, what will you get rid of in order to add one small room where you can use a toilet? I don't know enough to comment on the pricing but I will say that a home with a crawlspace or basement will be much easier to add new plumbing and electrical versus a slab construction, not sure what area you are in or what is prevalent.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hungry Squirrel posted:

Is it stupid to buy a one-bathroom house and just plan to convert a closet (hall or bedroom) into a new (full or half) bathroom?

This is one of those "if you have to ask then yes" questions.

Hungry Squirrel posted:

And, on the off-chance that this is not the dumbest idea you've heard today, what is a general range of costs for that? Assume that I'm not fancy, and I'm happy with builder-grade for all the fixtures (floor, tub, etc).

The fixtures aren't the expensive part. It's the plumbing and venting. Which is why there the "if you have to ask" rule comes in. If you have a closet you want to convert that is backed up to another bathroom that shares the plumbing wall and it's a single story with an unfinished attic and basement it's one thing. If it's on a dry side of the house on the second floor of 2+-story with a finished attic and basement sharing a wall on the first floor with built in cabinets and a fireplace it's something else entirely.

Hungry Squirrel posted:

Lol you can't even reno an existing bathroom for $20k with the cheapest garbage from home depot in most places of the US these days.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 20, 2023

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
That's hard to answer, because it's nebulous; for any given house, it could change. Honestly, that's why I'm here and not getting actual quotes!

The one I'm looking at right now is on a slab. I could convert the master bedroom closet to full, or a hall closet to half; both of those share a wall with the existing bathroom. I'd also like to consider converting the (larger) closet in the second bedroom into a half or full, but it's on the other side of the house and would require more plumbing to be run.

This particular house has a lot going for it other than the bathroom situation (which is not a deal breaker); the other that I'm currently looking is better appointed but also 28k more (and I really don't like it as much). So if I can do a remodel for probably under $25k, it's worth it to me to go with this one, live with it for a while, then upgrade in a year or so.

Edit because I just saw the post above, and that answers this one.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

Hungry Squirrel posted:

think about the cost of doing a reno (easily 20k in cash or a home improvement loan+interest) to just buying the house with the second bathroom already with that 20k rolled into a mortgage payment.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Some Guy From NY posted:

think about the cost of doing a reno (easily 20k in cash or a home improvement loan+interest) to just buying the house with the second bathroom already with that 20k rolled into a mortgage payment.

I just realized that I missed a word in my post. This is what I meant:

Motronic posted:

Lol you can't even reno an existing bathroom for $20k with the cheapest garbage from home depot in most places of the US these days.

There is no way you are having a new bathroom built out of an existing room/closet even under the best of locations/shared plumbing walls/unfinished basement conditions for under $30k in the bulk of places where most people live in this country. Material prices are still high. Labor is tight, and "turn a closet into a bathroom" is not a desirable job when the trades are backed up on jobs where they can show up and get work for weeks at a time on the same site because it's a full gut reno or new construction.

OP needs to find someone they can talk to in construction near them. Preferably a GC type person. And best case this person would take a look at any house they are considering for "adding a bathroom" to give them some sane cost and difficulty scale.

Outside of the money part, the biggest issue is likely more around:

tangy yet delightful posted:

your main issue will probably be floorplan

Even if that works out to make for a reasonable entrance and location for a bathroom you'll be giving up what is likely critically important closet space.

At least that's my experience with homes that small in my area.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
Thanks for the reality check! I mean, I hate it, but I clearly needed it. I'll reset my expectations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Who makes good ceiling fans? I've got to replace the one in my bedroom and I've installed enough Casablancas and Hampton Bays to know they loving suck.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hunter, but not the cheap ones. Look at the ones that are around $250 or more, those are the ones which will last a lifetime.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Don’t feel bad. Sales people are expert manipulators and use actual scientific brain magic on you.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

the solar panel assholes are the one and only time i have unironically used the phrase "get the gently caress off my property"

frankly it's on them for showing up yet again after being asked never to come back while i was wickedly hung-over.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

hark posted:

I have seen lath & plaster demo many, many times.

There is no piecework, and you will be dumbfounded at the volume of debris.

Position a 5-yard dumpster (or every trash can that you can find or steal) outside, under the window.
Open the window put in a cheap box fan facing out & running full blast. Collect your instruments of destruction and the largest wet-vac you can find.
Say goodbye to your wife & family, you won't be seeing them for a while.
Tape the door seams.
Don clothing you no longer want, a respirator and eyepro; gloves & boots. Don't bother covering the floor, it's gone.

Tear down as much of the plaster & lath as you can without burying yourself. Stop occasionally to dig yourself out/chuck debris out the window and question your life choices/existence of a supreme being.

Repeat until all of the big bits are gone. Shovel out what remains. Vacuum unto death. Then some more.

You will find plaster dust in the damndest places until you sell the house.

There is a reason I chose to spend $350 on diamond hole-saw blades to cut almost eighty 2" holes through asbestos shingle siding to blow in insulation from outside rather than attempt to breach my plaster walls.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

PainterofCrap posted:

I have seen lath & plaster demo many, many times.

There is no piecework, and you will be dumbfounded at the volume of debris.

Position a 5-yard dumpster (or every trash can that you can find or steal) outside, under the window.
Open the window put in a cheap box fan facing out & running full blast. Collect your instruments of destruction and the largest wet-vac you can find.
Say goodbye to your wife & family, you won't be seeing them for a while.
Tape the door seams.
Don clothing you no longer want, a respirator and eyepro; gloves & boots. Don't bother covering the floor, it's gone.

Tear down as much of the plaster & lath as you can without burying yourself. Stop occasionally to dig yourself out/chuck debris out the window and question your life choices/existence of a supreme being.

Repeat until all of the big bits are gone. Shovel out what remains. Vacuum unto death. Then some more.

You will find plaster dust in the damndest places until you sell the house.

There is a reason I chose to spend $350 on diamond hole-saw blades to cut almost eighty 2" holes through asbestos shingle siding to blow in insulation from outside rather than attempt to breach my plaster walls.

I'll have my lawyer draft the divorce papers now in preparation

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Post pics of the wall! I vote remove the paneling then plaster over it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

https://voca.ro/1m18PwATgvyH

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 21, 2023

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Deviant posted:

the solar panel assholes are the one and only time i have unironically used the phrase "get the gently caress off my property"

frankly it's on them for showing up yet again after being asked never to come back while i was wickedly hung-over.

I despise door to door salespeople but the solar assholes are on a completely different level.

The last one I had come by tried to get his foot in the door by claiming to be from the power company and needing to see my meter to determine how much I would benefit from net metering. When I asked for his Dominion badge there was an effortless pivot to "well we work with Dominion to provide energy solutions to customers..."

"Get the gently caress off my property" indeed.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 21, 2023

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

I’ve been dealing with a company called Lumio and the numbers in their sales pitch sounded good, obviously, in terms of energy savings but there are a few red flags. First, they contacted me by going door to door. Second, they wanted me to sign a contract for a 25 year loan before giving me a kWh production number. I did sign, since there’s a window to cancel it, and the guaranteed annual production is about 60% of what my house used in the last year. The annual loan payments are comparable to my current electric bill on average, which would mean a steep increase to energy costs. Admittedly my energy saving habits could be better, but that’s beside the point. Reviews online for this company vary wildly and it’s hard to tell how many of the positive reviews are bought and paid for these days.

The only way I can see this making sense financially is with substantial inflation to electric prices and staying in the house for quite a while (I plan to, but things can change).

I wouldn't use a door to door company to do solar leasing. I wouldn't honestly do solar leasing at all! Some of these companies fold and then the solar panels stop working and nobody will service them or touch them, because they're not your property.

Edit: FYI solar leasing is different than getting a loan from a bank.

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 21, 2023

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Danhenge posted:

I wouldn't use a door to door company to do solar leasing. I wouldn't honestly do solar leasing at all! Some of these companies fold and then the solar panels stop working and nobody will service them or touch them, because they're not your property.

if the company folds, who owns the panels???

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

hark posted:

if the company folds, who owns the panels???

Great question.

It's possible that "nobody will touch them" is an exaggeration, but solar leasing puts you in a really weird spot where somebody else's property is semi-permanently attached to your roof.

Sometimes these companies also play weird arbitrage games where they only turn the panels on when it's particularly valuable for them to sell the energy produced so you don't even get the full effect of your panels.

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Danhenge posted:

Great question.

It's possible that "nobody will touch them" is an exaggeration, but solar leasing puts you in a really weird spot where somebody else's property is semi-permanently attached to your roof.

Sometimes these companies also play weird arbitrage games where they only turn the panels on when it's particularly valuable for them to sell the energy produced so you don't even get the full effect of your panels.

someone should start a company that services orphaned panels. if anyone tries to sue, just fold that company too!