Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gologle posted:

So doesn't this mean that every single person watching the fight all immediately jump Sukuna now that he's weaker than he's probably ever been? Like we're talking 7-8 dudes all ganging up on beating this guy's rear end

Yes, the idea is that Hajime was faster because he wasn’t shocked by Gojo’s death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
Someone humor me here

Wouldn't it be really Komedic if Gojo came back to life?

Like imagine if some comic relief comedian character told a joke during Gojo's very somber funeral saying how hilarious it would be if he came back and somehow it became a reality because how funny would that be?

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Char posted:

My understanding

JJK told us more than once that the truly broken powers are usually those that can be applied to concepts. From what I'm inferring from the rough translation, Sukuna thought Mahoraga was some sort of cursed energy analysis entity, who could recognize the domains (in the logical sense) of un-applicability of cursed techniques; when Sukuna made it fire a Cleave, it went through, making Limitless ineffective. Sukuna decoded how Mahoraga did it - his theory confirmed, he replicated it: "apply Cleave to Reality", it doesn't matter if Gojo creates space around him. He's still creating something that is part of "reality". Probably Sukuna didn't even know he could attempt something like this, otherwise he would've killed Gojo much faster.

edit: yeah there's a better translation out there that confirms this, more or less

that's nuts if Sukuna can cut reality itself. Would've liked to see when he actually did it though.

kneelbeforezog posted:

Someone humor me here

Wouldn't it be really Komedic if Gojo came back to life?

Like imagine if some comic relief comedian character told a joke during Gojo's very somber funeral saying how hilarious it would be if he came back and somehow it became a reality because how funny would that be?

Gojo's head is still intact! But I don't see him regenerating a completely new lower body. Plus Gege would have to come up with an explanation for where he got a new pair of pants too.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
If you're going to have a long spoilered discussiom about raws could someone link them?

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Jose posted:

If you're going to have a long spoilered discussiom about raws could someone link them?

https://imgur.com/a/TVBdEXl

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RAW spoilers the afterlife scene is nice, but if that translation is accurate I'm not sure where the manga can go from here. Like if Gojo couldn't push Sukuna to go all out, then who can? And who can actually stop him? Is Sukuna just gonna become Yujiro Hanma?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I'm still pinning on Yuji's "Plot Armor" CT.

Not even joking. It's happened a few too many times.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

RAW spoilers the afterlife scene is nice, but if that translation is accurate I'm not sure where the manga can go from here. Like if Gojo couldn't push Sukuna to go all out, then who can? And who can actually stop him? Is Sukuna just gonna become Yujiro Hanma?

RAW spoilers I think you know who can. That one girl with the broomstick and silly hair, that's who.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Like if Gojo couldn't push Sukuna to go all out, then who can? And who can actually stop him?

Gonna laugh my rear end off when Sukuna simply gets taken out by Judgeman taking away his CT combined with Yuji beating the poo poo out of him

i don't know why but for some reason it would seem so fitting for this series if the arrogance and haughtiness would end up being taken out by a combo of a 15-year old without a technique and a dude who learned about cursed technique all of 5 minutes ago

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
fact is gojo had to lose for precisely the reason we see at the end of the chapter. checkovs kashimo

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Gojo thinks to himself "oh you can cut reality with cursed energy? that's cool, I should try that" and RCT time itself to beat Sukuna's rear end 1000 years ago

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Outside of spoiler bars I'll just say I get some complaints with it all happening off screen, seemingly. A deliberate choice that makes me a little grumpy, even if I think I enjoyed the chapter itself.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Outside of spoiler bars I'll just say I get some complaints with it all happening off screen, seemingly. A deliberate choice that makes me a little grumpy, even if I think I enjoyed the chapter itself.

What makes it really stupid to me is that it's logical why Sukuna could adapt his cleave to hit Gojo. But by having it take place off-screen the whole thing just feels incredibly cheap and unsatisfying. Doubly so because the fight has been very technical and he's taken the time to show everything else in great detail. I don't get why Gege decided to trip in the last moment rather than having this fight go on for one more chapter so this one could be Sukuna bisecting Gojo and next week is the afterlife stuff.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Shinjobi posted:

I think this is intentional. It’s supposed to be as jarring to Gojo as it is to us. I think the idea is Sukuna immediately used Dismantle at the end of last chapter and it even caught Gojo off guard(likely the reason why Sukuna waited this long to use it and even let Gojo use Purple, because he still needed to be caught by surprise or he’d just block it/dodge)

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Shinjobi posted:

this guy

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Where are the scanlations 😭

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jerkface posted:

Where are the scanlations 😭

Tomorrow probably. People just got excited this week.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

RatHat posted:

I think this is intentional. It’s supposed to be as jarring to Gojo as it is to us. I think the idea is Sukuna immediately used Dismantle at the end of last chapter and it even caught Gojo off guard(likely the reason why Sukuna waited this long to use it and even let Gojo use Purple, because he still needed to be caught by surprise or he’d just block it/dodge)

Even if its intentional it's a tonal whiplash and not in a good way imo. 99% of the fight has been really focused on the technical aspects and a showcase of why Sukuna and Gojo are just 10000x leagues ahead of every other sorcerer. To have the final blow happen off screen with a pretty lame explanation of "I figured out how to cut reality lmao ggs" just feels abrupt and out of nowhere considering how the last chapter ended. I'm gonna go into denial and be a genuine believer that Gojo still has a final ace up his sleeve for some ultimate sacrifice but if it really ends with "oops yr dead" in a single chapter then it's gonna be an absolute low point in the series for me. I have 0 problem with Gojo dying but this just feels rushed. I'm all for shocking out of left field deaths but it really doesn't feel earned at all here with Sukuna especially since we didn't see it at all. It's a scene that will probably work way better in the anime if they animate the sudden cut and realization that Gojo lost. Having it happen between chapters with no build up sucks lol

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm still not sure what actually happened, because it really does feel like they skipped a chapter.

Didn't Mahoraga get destroyed by Hollow Purple? How could Sukuna even fight lol

I can only think of a few things:
1. Gojo got murked by Mahoraga a few chapters ago and everything leading up to the win was all in his head (Brazil-style ending)
2. Sukuna did get beaten but somehow pulled Mahoraga out again to Cleave Gojo into two, or learned how to bypass his defenses
3. Sukuna's CT is actually King Crimson

Anyway all I can think of is this is (was?) a pro wrestling dream match complete with the heel bullshit. Knowing how much Gege is into wrestling (enough to base Yaga's likeness on Masahiro Chono), he's gone out of his way to really present certain characters as super strong, usually by feeding them a jobber (sometimes an entire squad of them, see Maki). Yeah it sucks when cool characters get killed off that way but a lot of this feels like classic pro wrestling booking tropes. And yeah Gojo can't win here because we just got out of the Royal Rumble Culling Game and this isn't Jujutsumania yet

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

The more I think about this chapter it feels like it was specifically written for animation because the build up to Gojo's creative way to cast purple, the declaration that Gojo won that battle of the strongest, and a sudden cut to "No actually he loving lost big time" works way better for me in my head as an episode, but as others have said waiting two weeks for that feels like a chapter just mysteriously disappeared in between.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
My thought of this is something like the following.

Gojo getting taken out between chapters is jarring, sudden and weird, a sudden reversal. It FEELS jarring and sudden for everyone who was rooting for him in story, and I think that's what Gege was probably trying to recreate in the reader here. A whiplash feeling as suddenly everything gets overturned because, as it turns out, Sukuna can figure out how a cursed technique works mechanically by watching it, then cooking up his own version. He did this with blood techniques before. He did it by puzzling out how Mahoraga was able to reach Gojo this time.

Gojo going from patting himself on the back to talking with his homies in Heaven in between chapters is basically exactly how suddenly that change of fortune should feel.

It's certainly playing with comics as a medium. It's jarring. It's beyond something happening between panels, where we can't see it, it's something happening between CHAPTERS.

However...

I am going to laugh like a goddamn pirate if Gojo turns around, goes 'See you guys later...' and pulls himself together. Because I am seriously not sure how Sukuna would react to someone not dying when they are killed.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Lily Catts posted:

I'm still not sure what actually happened, because it really does feel like they skipped a chapter.

Didn't Mahoraga get destroyed by Hollow Purple? How could Sukuna even fight lol

Sukuna finally reveals how Mahoraga works, which he himself had inklings about but didn't fully understand until he saw it in action: it's an entity that reverse-engineers Cursed Techniques and not only develops but, if given the opportunity, refines methods to overcome them.

This process is fundamentally time-based, accelerated by Mahoraga experiencing the CT in question repeated times but once it begins it keeps going and doesn't stop at merely achieving a basic solution - Mahoraga had already adapted to resist Limitless when Sukuna first pulled him out, but kept pushing him forward so it'd find a method to fully overcome the technique.

Turns out what Sukuna wanted out of the shikigami wasn't for it to win the fight for him, but to develop a counter to Limitless that he could imitate. This happened when Mahoraga replicated Cleave and used it to attack Gojo.

What happened after the Purple is Gojo thought, as did everyone else, that he had the fight in his pocket with Mahoraga gone, and with his guard down Sukuna sucker-punched him with his own Limitless-bypassing Cleave. Nothing was skipped because there was really nothing to skip - it happened in an instant, just as we've seen Sukuna's overpowered techniques kill so many others before Gojo. In fact, the way this was structured is just as Jogo's death scene was back in Shibuya.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Everything about Mahoraga is boring and confusing in a way that is possible to figure out but no more satisfying when you do, and the lowlight of the manga

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

another big problem I have with how this went down:

Sukuna absolutely has to die / be absorbed as a curse / etc because if he fends everyone off after finding out how to literally cut reality in half and comes back at full-strength for a later fight you would need an absolutely absurd power increase / even dumber technique to counter it. No one but Gojo at this point in time has proven capable of even approaching a technique that ridiculous. Lots of folks ITT and elsewhere were saying Gojo had to die because there would be no tension otherwise but we're now at the opposite end of the spectrum where Sukuna has a reality-cutting inifinite range (potentially?) mind blade and his death by the extended crew is either inevitable so he can never use it again or one of the cast is about to have an extremely absurd level up.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I'm ready for Sukuna to no sell and kill everyone in short order at the rate this is going.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is this arc the biggest streak of Ls in recent shounen history? poo poo is getting dark.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

Ghosthotel posted:

another big problem I have with how this went down:

Lots of folks ITT and elsewhere were saying Gojo had to die because there would be no tension otherwise but we're now at the opposite end of the spectrum where Sukuna has a reality-cutting inifinite range (potentially?) mind blade and his death by the extended crew is either inevitable so he can never use it again or one of the cast is about to have an extremely absurd level up.
One of the things i really like about jjk is that it doesn't really do straight x is stronger than y power levels. Judgeman could still take away Sukuna's CT and Deadly Sentencing forbids any violence - and I doubt Sukuna is getting out of a guilty verdict. There's also a guy running around who could conceivably kill Sukuna by thinking "lol wouldn't it be funny if the king of curses died by tripping and breaking his neck? So anticlimactic haha". I'm sure there's plenty of options.

People seem to be of the opinion that this is very unsatisfying narratively but i'm completely of the other opinion. I feel this way of telling things worked extremely effectively. Would a panel or 2 of gojo getting slashed in half really make that much of a difference? The way it's portrayed here really help sells the fact that all of this happened in the blink of an eye, and nobody saw it coming. Really cool and brave storytelling by gege imho.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
This is good poo poo. Look how invested people are in these events unfolding. It’s great storytelling and I have no idea what happens next

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Except that at this point we can just expect Sukuna to decide he can slash the warped reality back to the real one, or some other bullshit. I've basically lost all faith in a resolution that feels satisfying.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Except that at this point we can just expect Sukuna to decide he can slash the warped reality back to the real one, or some other bullshit. I've basically lost all faith in a resolution that feels satisfying.

That’s not how it works? His blade was already invisibly slashing them, the only difference with the adaptation is it let him slice through infinity now as well? It doesn’t just suddenly cut through other curse techniques or barriers.

It’s functionality of just slicing people up hasn’t changed and as the above poster stated, there are abilities in play here that can render that pretty ineffective, especially because he no longer has Mahoraga or Domain expansion to pull out.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Asuron posted:

That’s not how it works? His blade was already invisibly slashing them, the only difference with the adaptation is it let him slice through infinity now as well? It doesn’t just suddenly cut through other curse techniques or barriers.

It’s functionality of just slicing people up hasn’t changed and as the above poster stated, there are abilities in play here that can render that pretty ineffective, especially because he no longer has Mahoraga or Domain expansion to pull out.

Except he figured out he can slash space, so at this point all bets are off about what he can exactly slash if he can just easily reapply a slash to concepts while being on a low curse energy output too. I'm being quite flippant, but the point is that, for a fight that focused so much on technicalities, there has been a weird sloppiness in the way Sukuna's plan resolve, with him just kinda taking out trump cards that where to that point not even really imaginable by someone who was following the manga, like the fact that he put Mahoraga's wheel on Megumi's soul. The stuff kinda piled up for me, and to be completely fair, it was also applied to Gojo last chapter, when Black Flash, an ability that we were lead to believe applied exclusively to physical strikes, apparently can also be triggered by Blue/Azure (wish the English translation would settle on a name).

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
What really bugged me about this is Gojo saying he doesn't know if he could have won even if Sukuna didn't have 10 Shadows, when Mahoraga is the biggest (if not sole) reason he lost

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Presumably it's a reference to the fact that Sukuna didn't show the whole Cursed Technique he has, so there's always a chance he had another method to bypass Limitless that was kept hidden because it was better to have it as a trump card (maybe it's limited in terms of uses or would leave him weakened after use?) that said, yes, the narrative *really* did not sell that.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Scallop Eyes posted:

What really bugged me about this is Gojo saying he doesn't know if he could have won even if Sukuna didn't have 10 Shadows, when Mahoraga is the biggest (if not sole) reason he lost
Yeah this poo poo made zero sense and was a really lame way to end the fight.

My big theory on how Gojo was going to lose was going to be Sukuna AND Gojo finding out that Mahoraga becomes part of the totality when they're destroyed after being tamed. It's explicitly said that no Ten Shadows user had ever defeated and tamed Mahoraga, so some sort of ultimate Ten Shadows Shikigami popping out that has Mahoraga and all of the other shadows combined in it to murk Gojo at the last second would've actually be a perfect ending to it IMO.

Gojo ragdolls Sukuna even with his stolen techniques, proving that he's stronger than Sukuna. Then Gojo is killed by Ten Shadows Totality- which is completely unexpected by BOTH Gojo and Sukuna, because the conditions for it had never ever been met before. Gojo loses, but legitimately has proven himself to be the stronger sorcerer. But instead Sukuna just cribs Mahoraga's notes and kills Gojo with his +1 Slice spell. Gojo thinking he might not have been able to win even if he didn't have Ten Shadows is *horseshit*, because there's no assuming that whatever Sukuna was keeping in his back pocket was even applicable to the fight.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

im truly ok with the shock value, but I really do hope Gege writes at least a small inbetween chapter. The outcome feels like such a rug pull because we don’t see too many of the connecting events.

Eitherway I feel like Hajime is about to die

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The worst part of this is going to be watching Sukuna completely loving work any sucker dumb enough to fight him now until the real final battle is teed up. Kashimo is toast.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Fabricated posted:

The worst part of this is going to be watching Sukuna completely loving work any sucker dumb enough to fight him now until the real final battle is teed up. Kashimo is toast.

I have to say after the fight between the 2 absolute strongest characters in the story all the fights that come after are going to be have a very tough act to follow, here's hoping Gege can deliver

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Collapsing Farts posted:

This is good poo poo. Look how invested people are in these events unfolding. It’s great storytelling and I have no idea what happens next

*does something with the most popular character in the manga that has everyone pissed off and confused* Another genius storytelling moment for Akutani Gege!!

I dont really think its super brilliant storytelling contributing to the discourse and engagement on this one lol

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Considering there's like 10 people waiting to fight Sukuna, it's either gonna be a cool 1vs many people fight, or several quick 1v1's . I honestly have 0 faith in Kashimo or Gege delivering in this next fight , I expect him to get no-sold immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

Scallop Eyes posted:

Considering there's like 10 people waiting to fight Sukuna, it's either gonna be a cool 1vs many people fight, or several quick 1v1's . I honestly have 0 faith in Kashimo or Gege delivering in this next fight , I expect him to get no-sold immediately.

It's pretty clear to me that video games are also a big influence on Gege's writing - Mahoraga has always struck me as such a video gamey concept for one - and Sukuna is just essentially doing a boss rush here. Idk why but it kinda tickles my funny bone