Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So to summarize all the black bars chat: Fraudkuna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

kenjaku is going to sneak in and take both pieces of Gojo’s body

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Jerkface posted:

*does something with the most popular character in the manga that has everyone pissed off and confused* Another genius storytelling moment for Akutani Gege!!

I dont really think its super brilliant storytelling contributing to the discourse and engagement on this one lol

It didnt upset me, so I guess I like his style

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I've always thought that when Sukuna fights Kashimo, he's going to open his shrine and use his lightning attack that has been foreshadowed for a jillion chapters.

This tracks because he opened his shrine to use the fire attack on Jogo, which represents a theme of Sukuna using his shrine capabilities to kill people who represent those elements, because it's funny to him.

I don't think it's a coincidence at all that Kashimo is elemental and uses an element that sukuna obviously has and has therefore been Chekhov's Gun'ed

My main issue with this whole "Gojo dying" reversal is I don't like cleave. It's cool in the way that a child plays with their action figures would think it was cool, but mechanically it just sucks. Oh, he... slashes people real hard, literally the least interesting ability ever. This is also why I was never convinced that Yuji would get those attacks; they are just so uninteresting.

The only good thing I can say about Cleave is that it's great to show how truly brutal Sukuna is in very specific scenes, mainly thinking back to when he cleaves Mahito after Yuji invades his domain expansion. That is easily one of the best parts of JJK to me. Or when he kills Ryu, that was... fine. Or when he diffs those random girls, I guess. But now that Sukuna is at full power, as an ability it feels anti-climatic. There is nothing thematically or mechanically interesting about cutting someone really hard unless it's used as a narrative device and I feel like it's a big reason why this chapter feels extremely odd.

Regarding Gojo, I would be pretty surprised if he's fully dead, as weird as that sounds. The foreshadowing on the fight was that Gojo would lose (obviously, backed into a narrative corner here imo) but I still strongly feel that he has a duty to split Sukuna from Megumi and that was his stated intent from the beginning. Gojo has something up his sleeve, in some way, count on it :)

Ten Shadows has been used unless you count the full Totality, but that feels extremely reserved for when Megumi comes back, since that also gives him a huge buff that he really, really needs, especially if Gege is closing out the story as soon as he wants.

If that wasn't the case, Sukuna would have used it. It's too cool of a concept to drop entirely for no reason. There is almost zero narrative reason to keep Sukuna in that body now and really only hampers the narrative, especially since Gege went out of his way to count all of the other Shadows destroyed in what really feels like a statement that ten shadows is done for Sukuna. So yeah, I am all in on Sukuna being ripped from Megumi somewhere between "next chapter" and "really soon", and the shadows totality being his buff.

The whole "slashing reality" thing will probably turn out to be a total nothingburger, meant for Gojo alone, because the narratives around it are detrimental to the story if it really is all-powerful in the way that people are suggesting.

Kashimo getting destroyed is absolutely guaranteed regardless, especially if that "fight" happens now, as there is no point in having that fight at this exact moment unless it's a 1 to 2 chapter no diff, though it will probably be cool, quick, and let Kashimo show off his cool technique before he's blown out.

There is a small chance that his technique will be what splits Sukuna and Megumi; I don't think it's probable but if Gojo doesn't do it, Kashimo's secret ability is my second choice/guess.

Pacing-wise going straight into another fight is a super weird choice so yeah, if the fight does happen, it will be a small showcase, over quick, and serve some narrative device.

Regardless I don't think that Kashimo is going to get into the fight right away. Something will happen and that something is probably Gojo's last... whatever he ends up doing.

Taima fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 21, 2023

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Collapsing Farts posted:

It didnt upset me, so I guess I like his style

Same

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Jerkface posted:

*does something with the most popular character in the manga that has everyone pissed off and confused* Another genius storytelling moment for Akutani Gege!!

I dont really think its super brilliant storytelling contributing to the discourse and engagement on this one lol

It's kinda the opposite, I've seen a lot of people suddenly lose all the investment they had left in the story. Might just be fan grief atm, but I'm really wondering how JJK will fare in popularity polls going forward.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's kinda the opposite, I've seen a lot of people suddenly lose all the investment they had left in the story. Might just be fan grief atm, but I'm really wondering how JJK will fare in popularity polls going forward.

Call me crazy but I don't think he is out of the story. I think he will remain a character somehow but without any ability to fight, or otherwise communicate with the cast somehow, at some time in the future. Though, if he is really out entirely, that really does signal that the manga is trying to close out as quickly as Gege inferred.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I wanted Gojo to do a practical demonstration of "win even if you die" as Megumi remembered being told in the flashback when he first uses Domain Expansion, but if this is it I'm satisfied, too.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It is absolutely fan grief

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest my only real criticism of the sequence if he is for real permadead is that it makes the entire Culling Game thing feel even more like a waste of time. I've got no problem with him dying shockingly here TBH.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

So if im reading this situation correctly, it seems that the ultimate outcome of this in practical terms was:

-Sukuna loses Mahoraga
-Sukuna gains an incredibly specialized attack that is primarily useful against one person (now dead) and their cursed technique but otherwise not innately better than his default slashes when it comes to the rest of the cast

Which, if accurate, is ultimately a pretty good trade I'd think

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Oh Snapple! posted:

The main wrinkle in this is the possibility that, Sukuna may now be able to integrate Mahoraga into Totality. Unless the Agito Chimera was something completely different from Totality and he doesn't have full access to that power.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest my only real criticism of the sequence if he is for real permadead is that it makes the entire Culling Game thing feel even more like a waste of time. I've got no problem with him dying shockingly here TBH.

"My only criticism is that the entire previous arc feels even worse" is... not a good sign for this chapter, tbh.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Here's an actual translation:

https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7491/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-236?date=21-9-2023-11

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I get the "missing chapter" comments but I think the intent is Gojo's loss was so sudden and immediate there was no point in even showing it, just the aftermath and on that level I think it works.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

I get the "missing chapter" comments but I think the intent is Gojo's loss was so sudden and immediate there was no point in even showing it, just the aftermath and on that level I think it works.

Truly think one literal panel, or even page of him celebrating with the slash incoming would have worked.

But yeah the translation is better than the Raws real rough translation

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

It's difficult to buy when just last chapter we've got a whole spiel about how a sorcerer can see the ignition moment of a cursed technique, how Gojo's been repeatedly mentioned as extremely observant and also has six eyes (which have never been fully explained, but eh) and Sukuna was low in terms of cursed technique output to the point that *even in this chapter* he still hasn't regenerated his hand and eye.

It's just a mess.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's difficult to buy when just last chapter we've got a whole spiel about how a sorcerer can see the ignition moment of a cursed technique, how Gojo's been repeatedly mentioned as extremely observant and also has six eyes (which have never been fully explained, but eh) and Sukuna was low in terms of cursed technique output to the point that *even in this chapter* he still hasn't regenerated his hand and eye.

It's just a mess.

I think the entire point was that Sukuna waited until Gojo thought he had it in the bag to unleash his Cleave That Cleaves Reality Itself. He tanked that poo poo on purpose to lure him into a false sense of security because he knew he won as soon as Mahoraga did the second adaptation.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Unsurprising to see people split over this latest chapter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scholtz posted:

Unsurprising to see people split over this latest chapter.

No reason to fall to pieces.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

this chapter was awesome. incredible storytelling to open that way

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

*taking a huge hit of copium* Nobara isn't there in the afterlife

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

lmao

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

That would require anyone remembering she exists.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Unless it does turn out that Sukuna's 4th ability could have circumvented Infinity. Gojo could have killed a pinnacle 10 shadow user as well as Sukuna in a 1v1 because the only reason this victory even happened is because Sukuna possessed a technique that he could augment with knowledge gained from Mahoraga. Gojo shouldn't be fluffing Sukuna.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
I’m okay with it now. I can see Gege was going for dramatic effect, but I don’t think he quite managed to pull it. He executed it much better with Jogo’s death.

If Gege had gone with the standard sequence, it would’ve been a page of Gojo with a surprised expression along with a diagonal line across his waist (basically exactly what we saw 2 chapters ago of Mahoraga slicing Gojo’s arm) before transitioning to the reveal of Gojo’s severed body on the ground, followed by the fade to black to his dream, etc. Gege really wanted that page of Gojo’s severed body to have a big impact.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Oh Snapple! posted:

So if im reading this situation correctly, it seems that the ultimate outcome of this in practical terms was:

-Sukuna loses Mahoraga
-Sukuna gains an incredibly specialized attack that is primarily useful against one person (now dead) and their cursed technique but otherwise not innately better than his default slashes when it comes to the rest of the cast

Now that I have read the translations

You are missing that Sukuna also lost his Domain Expansion.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Brought To You By posted:

Unless it does turn out that Sukuna's 4th ability could have circumvented Infinity. Gojo could have killed a pinnacle 10 shadow user as well as Sukuna in a 1v1 because the only reason this victory even happened is because Sukuna possessed a technique that he could augment with knowledge gained from Mahoraga. Gojo shouldn't be fluffing Sukuna.

I mean, why shouldn't he? Sukuna got a read on Gojo's abilities and then basically started working on setting up ways to circumvent them. He exhibited absolutely masterful understanding and usage of cursed techniques well beyond his own. That he needed the 10 shadows isnt really relevant - he was presented a trial in the form of someone he was a bad technique matchup against and overcame it. If you flip their roles in the story it'd be incredibly triumphant.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

The only thing I really don't like is Gojo saying he doesn't think he could have won even if Sukuna didn't have Megumi's CT. His entire strategy pretty much depended on it bro, he even spells out that he needed Mahoraga to show him a way to hurt him, at least recognize that it would have been a totally different fight. That's the only bit that really doesn't line up with what we saw in my opinion.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tosk posted:

The only thing I really don't like is Gojo saying he doesn't think he could have won even if Sukuna didn't have Megumi's CT. His entire strategy pretty much depended on it bro, he even spells out that he needed Mahoraga to show him a way to hurt him, at least recognize that it would have been a totally different fight. That's the only bit that really doesn't line up with what we saw in my opinion.

Well if Sukuna had not gone for the Mahoraga strat it's possible he could have won during the first domain clash, Sukuna merely needed to hit with an auto hit Fireball or something then, but he decided to adapt Mahoraga just in case.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I ended up liking that chapter a lot more than I expected. It was pretty much Gojover the moment they said he won last chapter.

I'm curious if all those people who praised Gojo's op depiction feel now. I'm guessing they have split opinions.

Electric Phantasm posted:

:hai:

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 21, 2023

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah, its one of those things where i view it as "....and if another method exists, Sukuna is who I'd bet on to find it."

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

First post on the anime thread is mad about todays episode haha bad day for Gojo stans

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

I mean, why shouldn't he? Sukuna got a read on Gojo's abilities and then basically started working on setting up ways to circumvent them. He exhibited absolutely masterful understanding and usage of cursed techniques well beyond his own. That he needed the 10 shadows isnt really relevant - he was presented a trial in the form of someone he was a bad technique matchup against and overcame it. If you flip their roles in the story it'd be incredibly triumphant.

Saying he couldn't beat the guy if that guy didn't have the sole justification for this chapter doesn't make sense. No mahoraga, no enhanced Cleave, Gojo probably wins.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well if Sukuna had not gone for the Mahoraga strat it's possible he could have won during the first domain clash, Sukuna merely needed to hit with an auto hit Fireball or something then, but he decided to adapt Mahoraga just in case.

I think his domain only makes Dismantle and Cleave auto-hit. Otherwise he would have just done that wouldn't he?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Gojo walking at Hanami was so loving sick animated.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Gege really did the No Country For Old Men bit? I respect it

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I think what would've been cool is if in the previous chapter, every page had the same gutter across the middle of the page, bisecting "existence itself" in a way

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Brought To You By posted:

Saying he couldn't beat the guy if that guy didn't have the sole justification for this chapter doesn't make sense. No mahoraga, no enhanced Cleave, Gojo probably wins.

It's because Gojo was humbled. He recognizes Sukuna as the superior sorcerer that with this entire fight, in which Gojo was giving his all while Sukuna still held strength and abilities in reserve, turning out to be a brilliant setup for the winning move that got him.

And with that in consideration, he's thinking that if Sukuna hadn't access to Mahoraga he'd have figured out a different strategy to use. Remember this is the 5th time we've seen Gojo faced with a novel method to overcome Limitless, so from his perspective as the loser it'd be the height of hubris to think 10 Shadows was all that stood between him and a sure victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The opening sequence to this week's episode was extremely funny to see after reading this prior lol

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's because Gojo was humbled.

From general reading around I feel like a lot of the negativity I see stems from not taking it well that, yes, Sukuna humbled the gently caress out of Gojo - that Sukuna actually was right when he said that Gojo was only considered the strongest because he was born in an era where Sukuna was dormant. Of course, where Sukuna was wrong was in calling Gojo mediocre - he wasn't, and Sukuna's given the most acknowledgment someone like him can over that. But that's not a balm to the loser, which is what Gojo is even if he took some meaningful tools out of Sukuna's hands.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 22, 2023