Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It's weird. My mental image of Kizaru is that he's not a dude who would ever use two hands to swing a sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Rayleigh is so fuckin cool

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Brandfarlig posted:

No, I think he is weed :420:

"I ate the Ganga-Ganga Fruit. I'm a Weed Man."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pureauthor posted:

It's weird. My mental image of Kizaru is that he's not a dude who would ever use two hands to swing a sword.

If he uses a sword that means Mihawk is stronger than him

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

light swords cant become black blades, and thus dont count towards the World Swordsman power ranking

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

good ch!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Kizaru did not disappoint. Total badass.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Kizaru knows that the only way to fight a cartoon is to act like a cartoon yourself

He's Luffy's hard counter!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

light swords cant become black blades, and thus dont count towards the World Swordsman power ranking

He's a Hakiman then.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fantastic chapter. I like all the moving parts of this conflict. A lot is going on, but it all feels important and it's not too hard to keep track of.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Never heard of black light?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

I really love that scene because yes, Kizaru would normally not do that and would absolutely be more chill and relaxed, but upon meeting a threat like Rayleigh the whole facade just instantly disappears and he gets a lot more stiff, direct in both talking and body language, and the loving around is just gone. Kizaru knows when it’s do-or-die and can absolutely rise to the challenge.

This also means he is not considering G5 Luffy a serious threat compared to Rayleigh, which is crazy but somehow feels believable to me. Maybe because G5 Luffy just wants to play around in cartoon land, while Rayleigh will instanly go straight for your throat.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 21, 2023

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
great chapter. i love luffy and the straw hat crew, and one piece is the best

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Kizaru not treating Luffy as do or die can also be explained by the fact they explicitly want to just get out and the fighting is to keep Kizaru occupied until they can make time to get out.

This is different from the fight with Kaido where he HAD to be beaten for good or everyone gets killed or enslaved by him.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Seems like G5's weakness is the mental state it puts Luffy in. He's way stronger than he ever was in G4 but also more careless

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ChaseSP posted:

Kizaru not treating Luffy as do or die can also be explained by the fact they explicitly want to just get out and the fighting is to keep Kizaru occupied until they can make time to get out.

This is different from the fight with Kaido where he HAD to be beaten for good or everyone gets killed or enslaved by him.

Kizaru also has no need to fight Luffy on his terms. Brawling with Luffy is pointless to his objectives.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
The thing that needs to be resolved wrt Kizaru imho is his dreams.
One Piece is a clash of dreams and someone who seems to be inerrably motivated without having a dream is a very dangerous character.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wachter posted:

Seems like G5's weakness is the mental state it puts Luffy in. He's way stronger than he ever was in G4 but also more careless
It also has a limited uptime, so Kizaru's strategy of baiting it out then disengaging and wasting Luffy's time seems potentially effective

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

scary ghost dog posted:

:emptyquote:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Wachter posted:

i've a big feeling this is going to become more and more of an explicit plot point. luffy doesn't act like himself really while in gear 5. he's WAAAY more careless for sure, and he seems to enjoy fighting in a way that isn't really present in his other big brawls.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Why doesn't Robin wear her cool cowboy hat anymore?

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

tbp posted:

i've a big feeling this is going to become more and more of an explicit plot point. luffy doesn't act like himself really while in gear 5. he's WAAAY more careless for sure, and he seems to enjoy fighting in a way that isn't really present in his other big brawls.

he's like Roger Rabbit, he can do anything he wants but only as long as it's funny

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It also has a limited uptime, so Kizaru's strategy of baiting it out then disengaging and wasting Luffy's time seems potentially effective

It doesn't seem like it requires any substantial downtime though. When Luffy lost G5 during the Kaido fight he was able to almost immediately restore it. Probably works when it would be funny to wear off?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Gear 5 is probably a stopgap and Luffy will have to abandon the car analogy altogether in order to awaken his true power. Or we just expand the gear box, and find that beyond Tex Avery Gear 5 is Ralph Bakshi Gear 6.

Dawgstar posted:

Why doesn't Robin wear her cool cowboy hat anymore?

She had to sell it and all the rest of her cool poo poo to afford her surgeries.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

do the individual volumes use a different translation than the 3 in 1s? the 3 in 1s call him "Zolo" for instance.

anyway, reading through this for the first time and lol'd hard at Fat Luffy tooling around Roguetown in the background

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Doctor Teeth posted:

do the individual volumes use a different translation than the 3 in 1s? the 3 in 1s call him "Zolo" for instance.

no

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, for whatever reason the oldest official translations used Zoro, they switched it to Zolo to conform with the 4Kids dub, and never really changed it back, but I think the Funimation dub is the only official thing that calls him him Zoro and the simulcast subs still call him Zolo. I think?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
He's just like a samurai

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, for whatever reason the oldest official translations used Zoro, they switched it to Zolo to conform with the 4Kids dub, and never really changed it back, but I think the Funimation dub is the only official thing that calls him him Zoro and the simulcast subs still call him Zolo. I think?

The subbed anime definitely calls him Zoro, and it has since I started watching it back in 2012. Pretty sure the Viz manga translations (including the SJ weekly simulpubs) are the only source to use "Zolo" these days.

Red Perchiyama
Jul 23, 2017
Viz always seems adverse to changing translation stuff. I remember that the 4kids Ultimate Muscle dub used "Butt Buster" for the finishing move for a few episodes, then changed it back to "Kinniku Buster" in episode 7 of 77 or so, but the Viz manga kept "Butt Buster" the whole series. So it's probably something like that, "we started with Zolo after legal told us to change and we're just gonna stick to Zolo" or the like.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/DontShowYourCat/status/1704485603901919425?s=20

Mihawk

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Zoro fighting Lucci, assessing him, then remarking,"If this is the best he can do we shouldn't waste our captain's time with him" was unbelievably loving cool.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Zoros been getting lines that make more sense for a confident villain to say. It's very cool.

Like when King said he'll remember Zoro, Zoro says yeah cause I'm going to carve it onto you, if you survive. That's what a main antag says before getting thumped.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
From a while back but new One Piece doesn't exist for me until official so whatever:

Paper Lion posted:

its pretty safe to say the human fruits are all very strange. i wonder if "a human eating the human fruit causes them to instantly enlighten" only applies to the base model or if luffy and sengoku are also enlightened. it would make sense if we consider enlightenment as a true or complete understanding of ones self and their place in the world, as its only after luffy eats the fruit that we ever see him talk about his dream that is as ridiculous as his powers, and ties him directly back to roger. but, were still missing too much information about how devil fruits actually work and will probably need to wait until meeting jaguar again at a minimum, if not getting to laugh tale or even beyond.

At least Luffy can be argued is operating on a cartoony form of enlightenment literally nobody but him (and maybe Zoro) can understand, helped by the fact we don't ever get to hear his inner thoughts.

I will never not laugh at the thought of Sengoku eating his fruit, gaining all the wisdom and insight of the Buddha, understanding the reality of the endless cycle of pain and suffering of the material world, and immediately concluding "therefore, time to debase myself and face to Confucianism. Oh, Celestial Dragons, are you in need of a lapdog~"

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Tree Reformat posted:

From a while back but new One Piece doesn't exist for me until official so whatever:

At least Luffy can be argued is operating on a cartoony form of enlightenment literally nobody but him (and maybe Zoro) can understand, helped by the fact we don't ever get to hear his inner thoughts.

I highly doubt Luffy knows what's going on in his head normally, let alone in Gear Fifth.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Pureauthor posted:

It's especially weird considering that sword seems to be pretty... light :v:

Wachter posted:

tbp posted:

It's a subtle distinction, but I don't think of G5 Luffy as careless so much as carefree.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I highly doubt Luffy knows what's going on in his head normally, let alone in Gear Fifth.

Eh, this normally would be the case, but some of the stuff he’s said, like when Bonney asks what the gently caress is going on with Gear Fifth and he just responds “it’s when I’m freest” kinda carries the vibe that he implicitly has some kind of understanding that came with his awakening.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Last Celebration posted:

Eh, this normally would be the case, but some of the stuff he’s said, like when Bonney asks what the gently caress is going on with Gear Fifth and he just responds “it’s when I’m freest” kinda carries the vibe that he implicitly has some kind of understanding that came with his awakening.

One of Luffy's greatest strengths is his emotional intelligence, it's the lens he views the world through... including his own devil fruit awakening. He understands the meaning of it without knowing the finer details such as the name of the fruit or its historical significance.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if that outlook on life is a contributing factor for (or a symptom of) hearing the voice of all things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

rannum posted:

Kizaru knows that the only way to fight a cartoon is to act like a cartoon yourself

He's Luffy's hard counter!

He's handling it like evil droopy dog it's so perfect