Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

What did people think of the new Trigun?

Visually stunning and the writing I very much enjoyed aside from a few spots where they needed some more connective tissue between character beats.

On the whole after rewatching original trigun I found that I liked stampede quite a bit more. The only new take on the characters I don't super care for is wolfwood - he could have had the edge toned down for at least a few scenes.

If you expect it to be the same as the original show you'll be disappointed though. "If people wanted the original show, they could just watch the original show" is an idea stampede took to heart and it provides a very different presentation of the same story concepts and themes. Comparing and contrasting them and how they handled particular elements I find really interesting because of how stark the difference is.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
The Love Live spinoff should have been a mecha anime

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

a vash who, instead of building an outward persona he can hide his feelings behind, is simply so worn down by his guilt that he isn't really capable of hiding it is a substantially different character. You can see him trying and failing to form that outward persona that the original show's vash had down perfectly, it's pretty cool especially in the context that stampede is essentially the backstory to a new version of the original story's events - this is a younger vash we're watching who isn't yet responsible for the destruction of july

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
skipped through zegapain adp. impressive how they made a two hour movie of loving nothing, half of the movie is them reusing scenes from the show directly and they don't really do anything interesting to recontextualize most of it. it's just a prequel that hits all of the exact same beats the show does with very few meaningful differences. it randomly has a scene where kaminagi flashes forward to the events of the show and then it never gets brought up again?? the most interesting thing about it is that it shows a few characters who are dead by the time the show happens but they're not like. interesting ones. they don't really do anything.

i guess you can say the movie is vaguely presenting an alternate reality scenario because there are random bits that don't line up with the show but like... if that's what they were going for they should've written it to be an interesting story and not a completely tedious and inconclusive one. absolutely nothing in that movie, that demanded it be two whole hours long

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 21, 2023

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Leraika posted:

Has someone told Akio to watch the last unicorn yet? I've been in the hospital

what

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

You should watch The Last Unicorn.

Hell, I should rewatch it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I hope your hospital visit is fruitful and not sad

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Guilty worn down Vash in Stampede is honestly my biggest issue with it because his attitude in the original show was its living breathing soul. He didn't just sit down and accept bad things happening. His relentless positivity in the face of the brutal poo poo he deals with makes him so endearing. Stampede starts out with that same contrast but very quickly loses it and goes all in on the drama side. Sad Vash needs happy Vash to be compelling IMO.

Also the show completely wasted Legato.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
oh its another protoghibli project. badass ill watch it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

One of my earliest memories is being shown that in primary school

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Ohtori Akio posted:

oh its another protoghibli project. badass ill watch it

Yeah it was that and I saw people making recommendations and then there was a couple pages I didn't read lol. Anyway it's good. Very much a product of its time but there are some stunning animated sequences on what felt like a small budget

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Also I'm out of the hospital but still in recovery. I don't recommend pancreatitis even once.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Guilty worn down Vash in Stampede is honestly my biggest issue with it because his attitude in the original show was its living breathing soul. He didn't just sit down and accept bad things happening. His relentless positivity in the face of the brutal poo poo he deals with makes him so endearing. Stampede starts out with that same contrast but very quickly loses it and goes all in on the drama side. Sad Vash needs happy Vash to be compelling IMO.

Speaking of, has there been any further update on Season 2 yet other than "it's happening"? I know they're finally going to bring Milly in at least based on the ending to the first one

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Leraika posted:

Also I'm out of the hospital but still in recovery. I don't recommend pancreatitis even once.

be well, poster. pancreatitis does not sound enjoyable at all

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Willo567 posted:

The Love Live spinoff should have been a mecha anime

Idolmaster already did that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNMA8eoNO1w

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

I know, and Love Live shpuls also have a mecha spinoff, or at the very least a mecha that's associated with a group that isn't just Gundam Unicorn, like the bear mecha in Aikatsu or the Masami Obari mecha in ZLS

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Actually they should of just built the Love Live Spinoff around Dia being a Kamen Rider

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

would probably be better than the current kamen rider

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I think the "point" of stampede was exploring different aspects of the characters with different attitudes. I'm glad they didn't just copy and paste in old vash again, I can still go and watch the old trigun. I really dislike these kinds of criticisms that are centered around the show diverging from what was expected of it.

I get that I like dark fiction a lot more than most people, and that's (probably? Idk my perspective is a bit warped here) a fair criticism of the show. But man "it needed to be more like old trigun" really burns my biscuits.

I'm also not sure I agree that stampede vash is all grimdark all the time, I'll need to rewatch again to better form an opinion on that I guess. He's certainly still full of optimism and idealism, and the show ends with him asserting that he's not wrong for that no matter what he's put through or what the reality of human nature is.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

xenoglossia is funny becuase it was made at the last possible moment that someone could theoretically have been concerned a cute girls anime wouldn't sell without turning it into mecha

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjewtsu posted:

I think the "point" of stampede was exploring different aspects of the characters with different attitudes. I'm glad they didn't just copy and paste in old vash again, I can still go and watch the old trigun. I really dislike these kinds of criticisms that are centered around the show diverging from what was expected of it.

I get that I like dark fiction a lot more than most people, and that's (probably? Idk my perspective is a bit warped here) a fair criticism of the show. But man "it needed to be more like old trigun" really burns my biscuits.

It doesn't have to be more like old Trigun but if you are intentionally diverging from the original show and the source material to do a new take then I'd rather you do something interesting with it. Even setting aside my preference for OG Vash and taking the new character entirely on his own merits, mopey "well I guess I deserve it" Stampede Vash doesn't do much for me. I don't know how to really describe it but it feels like he's too willing to take the blame for everything and get tarred and feathered for it mainly so that Meryl and Wolfwood have a reason to yell at him.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 21, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Actually they should of just built the Love Live Spinoff around Dia being a Kamen Rider

i'd rather have a Love Live Spinoff featuring Hanamaru and me discussing books in makeshift Book Club

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
all idol ensembles should include someone whos canonically bookpilled

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

all the best ones do, just have to know where to look

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

It doesn't have to be more like old Trigun but if you are intentionally diverging from the original show and the source material to do a new take then I'd rather you do something interesting with it. Even setting aside my preference for OG Vash and taking the new character entirely on his own merits, mopey "well I guess I deserve it" Stampede Vash doesn't do much for me. I don't know how to really describe it but it feels like he's too willing to take the blame for everything and get tarred and feathered for it mainly so that Meryl and Wolfwood have a reason to yell at him.

No, it was because he genuinely feels that they're right to hate him due to his role in the seed ships crashing? That's like his whole thing, unlike the original show his actions were a direct contribution to knive's ability to destroy the ships. His life is penance for that, every human he meets has categorically been directly affected by his actions. It's a bit of a different feel from bad stuff (including glassing a city) just happening around him because he's there. stampede vash can't reasonably be held accountable for what happened but it's a much more active role in how awful everyone's situation than OG vash, where he was mostly just a bystander after his outburst with the spider pushed knives from "has some uncomfortable but reasonable questions" to "complete psycho".

Like there's more going on with the character than the simplistic doylist reading that he has to be mopey so other characters have an excuse to react to him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well of course there's more to him than just "sad so thing happen" but there's only so much I can type while phone posting from work. Yes, you are right that his active role in sabotaging the fleet makes him more complicit in humanity's slow death on the planet and he wears that guilt like an anchor around his neck. As for how it plays out in the show, however, as much as I can understand where his guilt comes from and how it informs his attitude, it's still frustrating to watch Vash repeatedly self flagellate and take every blow on the cheek. After a while it wore thin on me and by the time he snapped out of the funk thanks to Meryl reigniting his love for humanity the season was over.

You can call that Doylist or simplistic but if I'm not clicking with a character there's really not much else I can say. I can accept this is the way they want to do Vash, I just don't really care for it. If you like it, great! I like when OG Vash balances a basketball on his lizard tongue.

I'm interested to see where it goes and what they do with Vash whenever Season 2 comes around but until then, eh.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 21, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Why is frustration with a character not a valid thing for the show to try to make you feel, would be my question

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
a flavor can be valid and someone's reaction to it can be that it's too much and they dislike the work because of it. the magic of film at work

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arist posted:

Why is frustration with a character not a valid thing for the show to try to make you feel, would be my question

It's perfectly valid, never said it wasn't. Hot Wings are made to make you feel a burn, you can eat a hot wing and feel the intended burn and still walk away afterwards disliking the experience. The chicken wing didn't do anything more than it was supposed to, but it's not to everyone's tastes.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 21, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
*describing a character i dont like to an american* they kinda make me feel like after you eat a bag of carolina reaper cheetos

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
its natto to me

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Colonel posted:

*describing a character i dont like to an american* they kinda make me feel like after you eat a bag of carolina reaper cheetos

like i've become god? sweet

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Colonel posted:

Well it was either that or the Picard quote about committing no mistakes and still losing.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

New Vash sucks. I didn't need Stampede to be just like old trigun, it just turns out old trigun is the version of the story I like.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

The Colonel posted:

for american, its like eating taco bell with mild sauce, your mouth is burning

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i did not know carolina reaper cheetos existed and i am buying a bag when my next cheat meal happens

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

ZZ #35:

I cant believe Hayato is loving dead

and....probably everybody in Dublin when the colony dropped???

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Leraika posted:

:ohdearsass: get well soon!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I got to episode three of Stampede, and I think it's not a show I want to watch right now if it gets this dark this early.

Incredible production values, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://twitter.com/habibkun9/status/1704680353363890520