Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Well I guess Gege can go for a double and have Kashimo vaporize Megumikuna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

honestly, I liked it after reading. I'm also not entirely convinced he's dead and not just on deaths door, considering his head is wholey intact and Sukanu looks like he wouldnt/wont/will be to preoccupied to go for a capstone killing blow. But yeah I do think this ends the fight and Gojo will be out of commission for quite awhile

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

died with eyes open. he dead dead

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Doctor Teeth posted:

died with eyes open. he dead dead

Not the first time.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

honestly, I liked it after reading. I'm also not entirely convinced he's dead and not just on deaths door, considering his head is wholey intact and Sukanu looks like he wouldnt/wont/will be to preoccupied to go for a capstone killing blow. But yeah I do think this ends the fight and Gojo will be out of commission for quite awhile

maybe he's getting the afterlife chat like kakashi did

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Lamebot posted:

maybe he's getting the afterlife chat like kakashi did

Hey, man, got any suggestions on how to handle the rear end in a top hat who stole your ride? He seems kinda brainy.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Finally managed to read it, I think the only thing this chapter needs is some sense that time has passed since the last chapter. For most of this fight, we've basically just gone from end chapter -> start of chapter with no time elapsed, so it does have a jarring feel to it, like Gojo was merced offscreen. If there was maybe one panel at the start showing Sukuna smiling plus a bit of a gap before the next panel to represent time, or if maybe we got some semblance of what things looked like after the flashback, or maybe if the first few panels was something zooming closer and closer on Gojo's overconfident face, then it would be just that bit better for me.

Also, I don't think Nobara was in the afterlife part, so she's still alive!! Definitely!!!!!!!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's because Gojo was humbled. He recognizes Sukuna as the superior sorcerer that with this entire fight, in which Gojo was giving his all while Sukuna still held strength and abilities in reserve, turning out to be a brilliant setup for the winning move that got him.

And with that in consideration, he's thinking that if Sukuna hadn't access to Mahoraga he'd have figured out a different strategy to use. Remember this is the 5th time we've seen Gojo faced with a novel method to overcome Limitless, so from his perspective as the loser it'd be the height of hubris to think 10 Shadows was all that stood between him and a sure victory.

I'm not doubting that Gojo truly admires Sukuna and got humbled. But I respect Gojo's intelligence enough that if he was aware of anything that Sukuna said in this chapter, he understands that 10 shadows is absolutely the crutch Sukuna was leaning on to win this fight as it's the only technique in the universe to have defeated a six eyed user of limitless in the past. Until we actually see the final cards Sukuna has I'm not willing to believe that they would have been enough to kill Gojo. Otherwise Sukuna could have used those and still had all the 10 shadows at his disposal for subsequent fights. That includes Agito and the way he could use Megumi to prime Mahoraga without having the treasure summoned. Those are also huge things to be sitting on when confronting a conga line of combatants. Keep in mind this isn't a huge deal I just think that one line is a bit out of character and without stronger evidence I don't think Gojo's sentiment is the correct one. Sukuna is great and powerful but I still don't doubt when Gojo realized that his technique was superior to Sukuna's while being cut to ribbons in the domain. Neither he nor Gege should really be undermining that while still allowing Gojo to show his respect to his opponent.

That aside all this would be easier to swallow if we just saw how this played out. Sukuna is basing his analysis off chapter 234 when Mahoraga uses the flying slash. Is Gojo with the six eyes not able to see the inception of cursed technique like Sukuna can? Did he not note any kind of similarity between the two attacks or was he just too slow at the end of the day? He appears to have been cut down without any defensive actions on his part. But would he not be on guard even with Sukuna on the ropes against an unknown attack? Everyone here is aware Sukuna is holding back so so wouldn't that make Gojo even more cautious when confronting a seemingly cornered foe?

This is the problem with this kind of jump-cut in this kind of fight. When Gege jumpcut the principal fight so puppet principle was just dead. That was fine because the fight didn't really matter just the outcome. But this fight absolutely mattered and this was the final blow between the two strongest people in the series.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

there's a panel where gojo manages to make a smile after getting cut in half, so there might be a chance for him to get a 4th wind and RCT his legs back or whatever

I'm curious what that little exchange on page 2 was about. "the stuff with his dad"? is he talking about megumi? does he know kenjaku is yuji's dadmom or something?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Chapter good.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

if gege actually makes this a kakashi afterlife moment then the parallels between JJK and Naruto will be almost too funny to ignore... from the initial dynamic being insanely Team 7-like, to the protagonist harboring a malevolent spirit even if Naruto ended up subverting that element, to the white-haired overpowered sensei figure with special eyes they hide behind a bandana... lol.

I realize that I'm huffing copium here but this chapter just felt incongruent with the preceding narrative. I like the idea of Gojo failing. Someone upthread mentioned that he has consistently failed at everything despite being overwhelmingly powerful and I like that as an element of his character arc... but him getting surprised by Cleave when literally a chapter ago we were told that a spark can be perceived when a technique is activating, despite having the Six Eyes, even if he thought he had the upperhand? I dunno, Sukuna winning is fine and necessary, and I even liked the abrupt pre-death vision the chapter started on, but the way we got here is a little sus.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
That talk of going north/south is another Buddhism reference isn’t it? Does anyone know what it represents?

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

yum posted:

That talk of going north/south is another Buddhism reference isn’t it? Does anyone know what it represents?

I’m not sure what it represents religiously, but if I was gonna go off the series itself, I feel it’s similar to something Sukuna may have went through to reach his current state. We know he had a mummified corpse from one body and a form with four arms at one point. I could see potential that if not an awakening of sorts, Gojo resurrects as a cursed spirit or does whatever Sukuna did and sheds his humanity to become something beyond a human.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm curious what that little exchange on page 2 was about. "the stuff with his dad"? is he talking about megumi? does he know kenjaku is yuji's dadmom or something?
I think it's about telling Megumi his dad is Toji. I don't think he has any way of knowing about the other thing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

CharlestonJew posted:

there's a panel where gojo manages to make a smile after getting cut in half, so there might be a chance for him to get a 4th wind and RCT his legs back or whatever

He's thinking about how he can make his dick bigger

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

i think Gojo is dead dead

But I don’t think he’s gone.

He was killed by jujutsu so he might not become a cursed spirit. But he’s also deeply entrenched in jjk society, and is the strongest in several generations.

There’s a chance he becomes SOMETHING other than human.

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

if gojo really doesn't pass on here, i agree that he probably comes back evolved beyond human a la tengen, kenjaku and sukuna. literal six eyes.

also this chapter is extremely good

notwithyourheart fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 22, 2023

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Artelier posted:

Finally managed to read it, I think the only thing this chapter needs is some sense that time has passed since the last chapter. For most of this fight, we've basically just gone from end chapter -> start of chapter with no time elapsed, so it does have a jarring feel to it, like Gojo was merced offscreen. If there was maybe one panel at the start showing Sukuna smiling plus a bit of a gap before the next panel to represent time, or if maybe we got some semblance of what things looked like after the flashback, or maybe if the first few panels was something zooming closer and closer on Gojo's overconfident face, then it would be just that bit better for me.

Also, I don't think Nobara was in the afterlife part, so she's still alive!! Definitely!!!!!!!

I agree Nobara was conspicuously missing from the afterlife

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
As someone cursed to dive into stories at pivotal points with little regard to actually starting from the beginning until months/years after the fact: This is a pretty neat manga.

As a somewhat cruel self-own: Are some of y'all named Lot? Because you may have fuckin' married the salt. I'll see you when I catch up.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

sure she may be absent, but have you all considered that gojo just may not give enough of a gently caress about her to draw her in like his childhood friends?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I just really like Nobara and wish she weren’t floating in plot limbo so I’m happy to clutch onto even the thinnest hopes

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

So apparently TCB did at least one post-release edit to instead have Gojo simply say that the fight would have been close even if Sukuna didn't have the 10 shadows vs the "would have lost anyway" wording they used originally. Curious to see the official now, because boy did that initial wording get people to mald.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Questions:

Did we ever get confirmation that Gojo was only in the prison realm for 19 days and not like 2000 years or something? If he’s going to achieve some kind of transcendence/apotheosis and become something other than human, I’m betting that’s where he got it, not from being cut in half. Either way he’s out of the story until the end, I think.

What’s Sukuna’s deal? He is actually on Kenjaku’s side with the whole, ‘let’s evolve cursed energy/fuse humanity with Tengen’ business?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

GreenMetalSun posted:

Questions:

Did we ever get confirmation that Gojo was only in the prison realm for 19 days and not like 2000 years or something? If he’s going to achieve some kind of transcendence/apotheosis and become something other than human, I’m betting that’s where he got it, not from being cut in half. Either way he’s out of the story until the end, I think.

What’s Sukuna’s deal? He is actually on Kenjaku’s side with the whole, ‘let’s evolve cursed energy/fuse humanity with Tengen’ business?

Question 1: He felt like he didn't spend much time in the prison realm, but it was tiring, or something like that.

Question 2: Who knows? For such an important part of the story, Sukuna's only character trait seems to be that he's very strong and likes fighting. He doesn't even have interesting powers, he had to steal those from Megumi.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
He's kind of like an evil Shinto kami, a force of nature that demands respect/worship/tribute since he's above it all. He doesn't really seem to be interested in anything other than satisfying his own desires. He is a gourmand and likes the arts (not limited to jujutsu, he seems to like poetry like haikus too). That's all we know really

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
I dunno, the off-hand declaration that curses can become fuel for life the same way sorcery can makes me think something is up.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

XkyRauh posted:

I dunno, the off-hand declaration that curses can become fuel for life the same way sorcery can makes me think something is up.

Gojo's legs are about to start kicking rear end now that everyone's defenses are down.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Nuebot posted:

Gojo's legs are about to start kicking rear end now that everyone's defenses are down.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
this was definitely a jarring choice and idk if it totally works but i also don't really get why people are really up in arms about it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

lih posted:

this was definitely a jarring choice and idk if it totally works but i also don't really get why people are really up in arms about it

they're up in legs about it, really

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-236/chapter/40192

pour one out for ya boy Gojo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

:negative:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Good chapter.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The salt has been magnificent.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't mind this outcome per se, but it is a bit unsatisfying that they got Gojo out just for him to seemingly get bisected without doing much. Granted, there's bound to be more reveals later on, but right now that's how it feels+the way it was revealed in a afterlife conversation+post-match press conference also isn't very flavorful

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
It's bad. Hard to have confidence in how things will wrap up, tbh!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

OnimaruXLR posted:

I don't mind this outcome per se, but it is a bit unsatisfying that they got Gojo out just for him to seemingly get bisected without doing much. Granted, there's bound to be more reveals later on, but right now that's how it feels+the way it was revealed in a afterlife conversation+post-match press conference also isn't very flavorful

If he’s disabled Sukuna’s domain for the remainder of the fight that’s pretty major. However I agree as with Sukuna’s upgrade/evolution he’s even stronger now. I did expect more namely him being pushed out of Megumi’s body. I fully expect Kashimo to be swatted down though. *through tears* glad he acknowledged Gojo

Also “I’m not sure I could have beaten him even with ten shadows” is designed to insure the arguments about this right never cease lol

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's bad. Hard to have confidence in how things will wrap up, tbh!

Gege has been in a hard spot forever with this ending. I don’t think Gojo winning would be ultimately satisfying either. I think him losing is the only possible path to an interesting ending but it’s still hard to see where to go from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sorcerer killer pants really are the death knell for appearing to win a fight before losing your torso