Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
what is rightstuf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

they are now wrongstuf. has anyone said this

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

homeless snail posted:

saying nice but stretching out the vowels so its like, nyaasi

<residentially evilly> oh you mean neyeuhhhhh?

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Buschmaki posted:

what is rightstuf

anime merch and dvd store. they were a good option cuz they would do more than just the naruto/dbz/etc every other store on earth does, and theyd sometimes ship ahead of release date. crunchyroll will do none of that so lmfao

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

discovered that there's an officially licensed cowboy bebop ttrpg. I start reading it, it has an entire chapter on whether or not cowboy bebop is cyberpunk, and this is its suggested reading list

I stopped reading it

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
lol do they just not mention blade runner for some reason

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

there's one mention in the "is cowboy bebop cyberpunk?" chapter

quote:

Thus, our bounty-hunting cowboys and cowgirls carry echoes of the
“console cowboys” from William Gibson’s Neuromancer. The fusion of
cyberpunk tropes with the space western is reminiscent of the “street
samurai” also named by Gibson.
In Cowboy Bebop’s version of the bounty hunter there is also a refer-
ence to another classic of the genre, Ridley Scott’s film Blade Runner,
inspired by Philip K. Dick’s novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
While these deal with very different narratives and worlds (the post-
human android is largely absent from Cowboy Bebop), both tap into
the noir style that has evolved from the detective story to become a
more widely recognised set of ideas: trenchcoats, rain, and being con-
stantly beaten down, but doing the right thing regardless

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ohtori Akio posted:

Not the same genre of cyberpunk. Roughly the Same tech level, but very different tone and society. Basically the only people in space are the clone slaves, doing menial labor and fighting wars against other corps. Bebop was the twentieth century, but in space with SciFi gadgets

They should have mentioned Lost Universe though!

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 22, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Classifying Bebop as Cyberpunk is only a partial statement. Yeah there's certainly elements of cyberpunk in the show but that's hardly its only frame of reference. It would be just as incomplete an answer as calling it Space Western.

"The work, which becomes a new genre itself will be called Cowboy Bebop."

It's one of those stories that just "is"

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

More like cyber funk

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think they were just desperate not to put firefly in their appendix n

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Future Spaghetti Western

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

verbal enema posted:

Future Spaghetti Western

Future Spaghetti Western Blaxploitation Grindhouse Chambara Kung-Fu Wuxia Neo Noir seven foot ex basketball pro, hindu, guru, drag queen, alien.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i think of bebop as gadget noir and thats as important as details of the tech level imo

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't really care what genre bebop is but I would lean more, some kind of western noir than cyberpunk. critically though, i'd much rather play in a cowboy bebop rpg where the GM took inspiration from blade runner than borderlands and the outer worlds

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

homeless snail posted:

I don't really care what genre bebop is but I would lean more, some kind of western noir than cyberpunk. critically though, i'd much rather play in a cowboy bebop rpg where the GM took inspiration from blade runner than borderlands and the outer worlds

this basically

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Was Black Lotus any good as a Blade Runner story.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

gently caress yeah got tickets to go see MONOWHALES on Dec 8th. And its Friday so the work week is done!

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Bebop could just do "Borderlands" and then "Blade Runner" as episodes, and then next week do something completely different.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

dystopian retro-futurist homagecore

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Its anime.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
ZZ isn't.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Pootybutt posted:

Bebop could just do "Borderlands" and then "Blade Runner" as episodes, and then next week do something completely different.
the borderlands episodes are the live action series

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

homeless snail posted:

discovered that there's an officially licensed cowboy bebop ttrpg. I start reading it, it has an entire chapter on whether or not cowboy bebop is cyberpunk, and this is its suggested reading list

I stopped reading it
why those and not any of the movies cowboy bebop directly references like shaft, desperado, or john woo's the killer

the way people define inspiration/similarities as mostly defined by surface level aesthetic rather than directorial, thematic, or tonal is weird

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

homeless snail posted:

the borderlands episodes are the live action series

Edward by way of Tiny Tina. 60 seconds of mental anguish.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Endorph posted:

why those and not any of the movies cowboy bebop directly references like shaft, desperado, or john woo's the killer

the way people define inspiration/similarities as mostly defined by surface level aesthetic rather than directorial, thematic, or tonal is weird
these guys have no idea who john woo is, op

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

homeless snail posted:

I stopped reading it

I'm going to play the cowboy bebop ttrpg as claptrap from borderlands

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

you better believe theres a page about corgis in there

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emmVY5KSfl8

Pro music choice.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
My cat is taking a nap on the floor in the sunbeams which means she's going to be a fuckinf hellion at night

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

borderlands 1 is a weird comfort food game i am strangely drawn to replay once every couple of years. i enjoy it even though the plot and gameplay are kind of sparse, it's a fun formula.

2 leaning into bad wacky humor and weird guns just made the entire experience worse even if there were quality of life improvements. didn't even bother to finish 3.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I had a "borderlands 2" phase which coincides exactly with my "severe depression" phase. I am not saying borderlands 2 caused this, but I'm not not saying this either.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nerds are very good at noticing when thing is like other thing but not why thing was like other thing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

homeless snail posted:

you better believe theres a page about corgis in there
did they accidentally publish the netflix show's writer's bible

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

homeless snail posted:

these guys have no idea who john woo is, op

He directed Mission Impossible II, easy

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Arist posted:

He directed Mission Impossible II, easy

psh, forgetting face/off, poser

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only people who care about Mission Impossible 2 are John Woo fans. Nobody likes the first movie and everyone else only vaguely remembers MI3 before it became commonly accepted that Tom Cruise spy action movies are pretty good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

The only people who care about Mission Impossible 2 are John Woo fans. Nobody likes the first movie and everyone else only vaguely remembers MI3 before it became commonly accepted that Tom Cruise spy action movies are pretty good.

Am I reading this post wrong or are you saying nobody likes, the 1996 movie Mission Impossible

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

What in the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
No no one likes the game