Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A bit out of character tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Having spent an hour and a half on the phone with British gas being passed around from confused person to person, including at one point some guy in aquisitions (?) I have been presented with several options.

Do not have a smart meter.

Do not have 3 phase supply.

Go away.

I have selected the third option. To be fair it was actually go away and come back again as a new customer, I'm just not going to do that bit but try and get octopus or someone to do it all instead.

The problem is apparently that they are porting all their customers onto this new energy platform whatever that is and there's no button to send a customer in the other direction back to the old classic billing.

But if I'm a new customer they can just put me on classic billing from the start, then I can have a 3 phase smart meter.

Nope. I'll just go somewhere else and start all over again.

Knowing BG, that's a good call.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

British gas being passed around from confused person to person,

:fart: :fart::fart: :britain::confused:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Well, they were confused as it was supposed to be about fitting meters, not "fitting meters"

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

But if I'm a new customer they can just put me on classic billing from the start, then I can have a 3 phase smart meter.

It sounds like they have the answer in putting you in the classic system manually and closing your old account but sounds like it is too much of a bitch to do it.

Not going to post more IT stuff, I just miss that stuff as my current place has been a nice little book of calm

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'm arguing with some goons elsewhere about the quality of my fish and chips so google image searched my own photos for things it considers food to find some examples of my great culinary skills.

Dunno where to go now with this.

In the lounge... sorry great room, gettign ready doing airtightness stuff because I haven't braved trying to get plasterboard up into the ceiling yet

loft is all ready with last hatch in

this was dogshit. It defeated me and I walked off in a huff in disgust.

My brother finished it for me because I would have broken things.

Bodged. Doesn't work. Flawed design. Nothing to do with me.

Heres all the heatpump bits I got the other day...

Hmmm.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Why would you invite a Resident Evil puzzle into your home.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nice bit of lego technic

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm arguing with some goons elsewhere about the quality of my fish and chips so google image searched my own photos for things it considers food to find some examples of my great culinary skills.

Dunno where to go now with this.

In the lounge... sorry great room, gettign ready doing airtightness stuff because I haven't braved trying to get plasterboard up into the ceiling yet

loft is all ready with last hatch in

this was dogshit. It defeated me and I walked off in a huff in disgust.

My brother finished it for me because I would have broken things.

Bodged. Doesn't work. Flawed design. Nothing to do with me.

Heres all the heatpump bits I got the other day...

Hmmm.

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure you need to connect them up if you want it to work.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Hu6J3pEwQ

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

It looks like you bought the world's most complicated DIY bong

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I am unsure exactly what to do about all lighting wiring hanging out of the vaulted room's ceilings.

I'm about to plasterboard it, over the two layers of sandwiched in PIR insulation. Poked through this is wiring for the 36 spotlights that will be mounted on the ceiling. Run in singles and in flexible plastic conduit.

Pictures as is:

My intention is to just replicate what I have at the moment, as in have the conduits hanging through the plasterboard. It then gets plastered and after I would trim back the conduit to flush with the ceiling surface leaving just enough of the singles left to wire in the spotlights and surface mount them. I can then put a blob of gunk in the end of the conduit to try and achieve air tightness.

this kind of thing for the lights

Problem is I think the plasterers are going to have a fit about trying to plaster it with all that hanging out in their way. In all the other, flat ceiling rooms, they were able to just poke the wires back up into the ceiling into the airtight boxes above within the soft fluffy stuff insulation. I can't offer them that here in the firm PIR insulation and still finish things the way I want.

I've tried looking at diy and plastering forums but it basically devolves into plasterers and electricians calling each other useless cunts. I guess I'm the electrician in this particular example. I think my plan will be to proceed as planned and act dumb, which will require minimal acting, when they complain.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

They are used to plastering around wires all the time, as long as you tell them that it needs be smooth up to the wires it will be fine. Interesting you are going for surface mount spots rather than recessed, but makes sense because recessed are a pain in the arse.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

CancerCakes posted:

They are used to plastering around wires all the time, as long as you tell them that it needs be smooth up to the wires it will be fine. Interesting you are going for surface mount spots rather than recessed, but makes sense because recessed are a pain in the arse.

Ok good. As long as they don't refuse altogether.

The mounted spots are so you can sort of twist them in whatever direction to best show off the oak beams and vaulted ceiling. And be a feature themselves I guess.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Ok good. As long as they don't refuse altogether.

My ones had no problem with it. It won't be perfect right around where the cable is but the light fixture will cover it.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The mounted spots are so you can sort of twist them in whatever direction to best show off the oak beams and vaulted ceiling. And be a feature themselves I guess.

Yeah I used the exact same fittings in the bedroom with the vaulted ceiling.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
36 spotlights?

Oh I figured it out, this is actually an operating room. That explains all the airtightness concerns.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

devicenull posted:

36 spotlights?

Oh I figured it out, this is actually an operating room. That explains all the airtightness concerns.

It will all become clear when drunks start going missing from the pub next door

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
A sterile room for meat pie manufacturing

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

MetaJew posted:

Jesus Christ, these people can't even speak their own language.

Nobody can.

Here in Canada I pay my "Hydro" bill.

Guess what that's for.

Yeah, you nailed it. Electricity. Not water, don't be stupid.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

WhatEvil posted:

Nobody can.

Guess what that's for.

I could maybe guess it being hydro electric, but come on!

Edit: \/\/\/ confirmed

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 23, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

WhatEvil posted:

Nobody can.

Guess what that's for.

It's hydroelectric lmao

e: for content, 87% of our power in BC is sourced from hydroelectric! It's v good.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Only in Canada would they call the electric company BC Hydro.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I am unsure exactly what to do about all lighting wiring hanging out of the vaulted room's ceilings.

I'm about to plasterboard it, over the two layers of sandwiched in PIR insulation. Poked through this is wiring for the 36 spotlights that will be mounted on the ceiling. Run in singles and in flexible plastic conduit.

Problem is I think the plasterers are going to have a fit about trying to plaster it with all that hanging out in their way. In all the other, flat ceiling rooms, they were able to just poke the wires back up into the ceiling into the airtight boxes above within the soft fluffy stuff insulation. I can't offer them that here in the firm PIR insulation and still finish things the way I want.

I've tried looking at diy and plastering forums but it basically devolves into plasterers and electricians calling each other useless cunts. I guess I'm the electrician in this particular example. I think my plan will be to proceed as planned and act dumb, which will require minimal acting, when they complain.

What are you fixing that plasterboard back to, out of interest? If you're having any big dangly chandelier lights in the great room it'll be worth sticking a timber noggin in behind the plasterboard, so you have something more substantial to screw the light fitting to.
As others have said though, mudslingers are happy plastering up to, around and over all sorts of features. We'd left screws in the plasterboard to mark vent positions and they were very happy about entombing those.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Country-wide hydroelectric power supplies 60% of Canada's power. In areas where the provider name has Hydro in it that percentage is usually significantly higher even than that.

It makes perfect sense.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

They make shallow surface mount electrical boxes in the US

Not sure what you have to screw on behind it but maybe you can get some long screws that attach to the roof lol.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

Endjinneer posted:

...timber noggin ...

I have no idea how yet, but I'm going to use this in a conversation tomorrow.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Touch wood

*Taps head*

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It’s a nogging, just so you don’t look a drat fool in front of all your carpenter friends.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

It’s a nogging, just so you don’t look a drat fool in front of all your carpenter friends.

I dont think telling me that will prevent that

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Endjinneer posted:

What are you fixing that plasterboard back to, out of interest? If you're having any big dangly chandelier lights in the great room it'll be worth sticking a timber noggin in behind the plasterboard, so you have something more substantial to screw the light fitting to.
As others have said though, mudslingers are happy plastering up to, around and over all sorts of features. We'd left screws in the plasterboard to mark vent positions and they were very happy about entombing those.

Thats a 50mm layer of PIR insulation slung under the rafters. Thats (the rafters) what the plasterboard will be attached to. Using big long screws through the insulation and big washers to stop the screw heads pulling through.

the big dangly chandeliers are going to be relatively... agricultural? So I'm fine putting a big hook into the oak ridge beam to hang them down from on a chain so don't think i need any extra timber in the ceiling. Which is lucky, cos I didnt put any there.

Mustache Ride posted:

They make shallow surface mount electrical boxes in the US

Not sure what you have to screw on behind it but maybe you can get some long screws that attach to the roof lol.

Not seen these before but yeah probably can't find a way to fix them in now. Certainly interesting as nothing in this realm seems very organised. integrated.

So got started on the plasterboard in the vaulted room this weekend. Needed help, very difficult on my own. BUt I think now actually as long as I only try to do half boards I can slowly make progress alone with it now. My 70+ dad is about for two days now so maybe I can get him up a ladder to help out seeing as my entire childhood was building all his houses as child labour.

The hoist is an acquired skill doing an angle. with the weird little floppy metal clasps.

I haven't actually put up a full board here, instead trimming it so I can avoid joints behind the oaks with the thought that that makes it easier for the plasterers to achieve a decent finish? But a few more joints. I'm deliberately not jointing the boards on a rafter but rather mid rafter. No idea what the done thing is, whether this is dumb or genius. I've convinced myself the latter.

I am 1/8th done I think. But I've done the easiest bits so far. No up high, no skylights, no chimney. But I'm happy enough that I have a strategy for it all now.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
did you buy that box of screws on eBay too?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

VelociBacon posted:

It's hydroelectric lmao

e: for content, 87% of our power in BC is sourced from hydroelectric! It's v good.

Yeah sure but if you're gonna shorten it the "electric" part of that word is like, the salient part.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Muir posted:

did you buy that box of screws on eBay too?

alright calm down

lol no its just been hanging around a while

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

So had a bit of lower great room roof plasterboarded. My strategy is to do the upper great room plasterboard as I have the temp floor in and move the temp floor along. But I kind of can't do it myself.

Luckily a nephew just turned two so my parents have flown in and need my assistance. So 70 something dad is sent up the ladder to help out

I still also had a bunch of kitchen cabinet wiring to get done whcih took like a day and a half to get ready

The way I'm having to shift the temporary floor along is not efficient or really lends itself to photos that look like I've achieved much

and probably havent.

Plasterers are back though!

messy fuckers

this is like after theyve left for the day (at 2)...

wtf? like some kind of plastering superstition? gotta leave buckets of water in a hallway

Dudes have finished in the loft!

they insisted taking all my doors off whilst doing it. fair enough. But now I can look back in all my gubbins. How lovely.

theres probably not many houses you can see all the behind the scenes stuff still. Whereas I have listed building style apertures to let me back in to see what I've done.

I'll probably come back up here of an evening and just sit here looking in

Look at my longness

The plastererers were like what is this room? they thought it was for a grow room for weed cos of all the insulated ceilings, lights and data and ventilation systems. I was like yeah lol.

Didn't have the heart to tell them it was all about murdering people and this was the likely the last views so many people would see

Lol views downstairs looking less murderery? Bit lighter now?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

The plasterers seem better than the brickwork guys.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
If the plasterers were like the brick guys they'd be spreading this on the walls

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The buckets of water are obviously for humidity management.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It's homeopathic plaster.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I'm not surprised they left at two. Double coating that in one hit would suck.
Credit where credit is due, they seem to have done a pretty nice job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002