Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
There was some random van mostly unmarked but with a small "MotoGP46" sticker on the back. Wonder if Vale has some big marketing push going on in Canada lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Gentlemen, it is with great pleasure that I announce my return to the thread. It was below a thousand degrees this morning so I got my bike inspected, lubed, fueled and ready for fall. Feels good, man.

Still on my R3 from 2019, still makes me happy but my dealer has a used 2022 R7 in that 60th anniversary white with 600 miles and zero external damage and I’m like hmmmm.

Anyways, happy Thursday motorbike goons.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Migrating Canadian geese tipped me off to the start of fall a couple weeks ago, but I just finally zipped the armpit covers into my jacket this morning. Fall and motorcycles rule

I imagine the southern hemisphere goons will be emerging from muddy holes in the ground soon

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Rolo posted:

Gentlemen, it is with great pleasure that I announce my return to the thread. It was below a thousand degrees this morning so I got my bike inspected, lubed, fueled and ready for fall. Feels good, man.

Still on my R3 from 2019, still makes me happy but my dealer has a used 2022 R7 in that 60th anniversary white with 600 miles and zero external damage and I’m like hmmmm.

Anyways, happy Thursday motorbike goons.

Finally in the 90s here, I haven't ridden for a month. Trying to get out this week.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Thoughts on Street Triples? Among a few other bikes I've been thinking about I've been leaning towards one of the 675 Street Triples. I really dig the look of the round headlight double exhaust ones, and they are cheaper, but there are some decent deals on the last of the 675 engine ones too. The dual rear exhaust seems like it would cause issues with side bags though. The "R" ones seem to just have adjustable suspension over the base model, not sure if I really need that as I'm pretty casual but I am a 200 lbs dude so maybe it would be worthwhile to get it dialed in.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Remy Marathe posted:

Migrating Canadian geese tipped me off to the start of fall a couple weeks ago, but I just finally zipped the armpit covers into my jacket this morning. Fall and motorcycles rule

I imagine the southern hemisphere goons will be emerging from muddy holes in the ground soon

It's into the single digits Celsius here in the mornings

I mourn the upcoming snow and gravel and salt, but at the same time I love riding when the air is crisp

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It's down to below 50F in the mornings here in the Portland area and the rain season starts on Sunday.
On the other hand, it's kind of nice to not feel sweat dribble down my back as I sit in traffic in full gear and 90 degrees

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
there's a sportster that has started parking on the sidewalk in front of my building.

the owner keeps leaving the fuel petcock open and the sidewalk has been drenched in gasoline for weeks now.

also their pannier bags are installed backwards who is this guy

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MSPain posted:

there's a sportster that has started parking on the sidewalk in front of my building.

the owner keeps leaving the fuel petcock open and the sidewalk has been drenched in gasoline for weeks now.

If you want it gone you can call the fire department on it next time it's pissing gas all over the place.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

MSPain posted:

lol I have photos from when I picked up my Bonneville from the PO that pop up in slideshows from time to time and it wasn't until recently that I noticed that yep, he absolutely had them on backwards.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The fact that you can even mount them backward speaks a lot about how little the engineer who designed the mounts cared.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

MSPain posted:

Normally I'm opposed to messing with other's stuff, but close the petcock and watch to see how long it takes him to realize it's off

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Two blocks

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He would call a tow truck when it stops

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
two blocks until he calls a tow truck, you mean.

e: :argh:

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

numberoneposter posted:

Thoughts on Street Triples? Among a few other bikes I've been thinking about I've been leaning towards one of the 675 Street Triples. I really dig the look of the round headlight double exhaust ones, and they are cheaper, but there are some decent deals on the last of the 675 engine ones too. The dual rear exhaust seems like it would cause issues with side bags though. The "R" ones seem to just have adjustable suspension over the base model, not sure if I really need that as I'm pretty casual but I am a 200 lbs dude so maybe it would be worthwhile to get it dialed in.

I’ve never owned one but have ridden a few, including the new 765 RS. It’s a great motor in either iteration and I think the old ones look frickin dope and sound hella good with a set of Arrow cans. I’d get the best version in your budget because don’t the older R’s come with Ohlins too? That’s a worthwhile upgrade for me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The striple 675 R doesn't come with ohlins, it comes with the same suspension as the basic d675. It's well worth it because it's a huge step above the base model stuff, it's one of the better factory setups I've seen in terms of how much the adjustment actually does and the quality of damping. The brembos are a decent step up from the basic nissins, it's not life changing but a nice bonus.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The first of my ebayed wheels has arrived, the front which was described as "perfect condition". I'm not at all surprised to find that's not true, just want to run this past the collective wisdom

There's a few areas of paint scratched that I'm not too worried about. There is also this little ding on the rim, is that from an impact or just from tyre changes? Rolling the wheel it doesn't look to have a flat spot or anything. I might stick it on the bike and see how it looks rotating.

There's a wheel repair place locally who will also swap out the tyres. I'll probably ask them to fix the wheels cosmetically and also check they're true.

Should I get them to replace the bearings while I'm at it? The wheel is potentially 5 years old

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

Should I get them to replace the bearings while I'm at it? The wheel is potentially 5 years old

You can very easily check the bearings with the wheel off, just give em a spin and see if they feel gritty/crunchy/not smooth.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

opengl posted:

You can very easily check the bearings with the wheel off, just give em a spin and see if they feel gritty/crunchy/not smooth.

opengl, Is your avatar from MagMax? Because holy cow brains are weird if I'm right.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rolo posted:

opengl, Is your avatar from MagMax? Because holy cow brains are weird if I'm right.

lol, yes.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Wow. And I forgot my sisters birthday this year.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/MotorcycleCom/status/1707458992136679877

lmao it looks like a v-strom

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Weighs 26 lbs less. :colbert:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

TotalLossBrain posted:

Weighs 26 lbs less. :colbert:

At least they got it right on the webpage

https://www.motorcycle.com/bikes/new-model-preview/2024-bmw-r-1300-gs-first-look-44595007 posted:

a 26-pound weight reduction compared to

Do GS riders even care about 26 lbs? Aren't they just going to mount a hundred heavy farkles on the thing?

epswing fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 29, 2023

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

epswing posted:

At least they got it right on the webpage

Do GS riders even care about 26 lbs? Aren't they just going to mount a hundred heavy farkles on the thing?

548 lbs vs. 522? At that point I think where the weight is will matter a great deal more than anything else. That's why you need to get all red/blue/rainbow anodized titanium farkles. Because they tend to mount higher up so a reduction of weight up there is even more important.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Over time every BMW will come to look like a Japanese bike

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Definitely looks better with the spoked rims. I walked by a super recent F900GS recently too and was surprised by how much I loved the revamped look.

Not a fan of the revamped .. subframe? .. on the 1300 but maybe it looks better in person. Everything else I'm digging :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 29, 2023

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Rolo posted:

Wow. And I forgot my sisters birthday this year.

Maybe she should have designed video games in the 80s then

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Now I wanna see the RS version

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Winter is coming.
+17c at work at sea level. as the skies cleared and I hit the mountains it was +6c at the cabin.

Stopped to add the muffs around 12c

+1 now at 01:00. There is clear skies and full moon.

Tomorrow is forecast as a clear crisp day.
Autumn is awesome as long as it doesn't rain.

Brapp more!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

lmao it looks like a v-strom

Except the v-strom is good

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

Except the v-strom is good

:hai:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dress for the job you want

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Because a glaring criticism of the big GS was "it didn't have enough power".

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
lol 140hp or whatever isn't gonna hook up on a goddamn thing that isn't a perfectly manicured starbucks parkinglot.

The ~100whp 950 will happily spin up a mitas eo7 dakar on tarmac in the rain at 65mph. 5th gear, roll on the throttle, forever doing a rolling peel. Anything with gravel or sand or rocks? lmfao. hit it with speed, let the momentum do the work. There is no traction out back. it can lob a grapefruit sized rock fifty feet.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 30, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just in case you needed further proof that big ADV's are designed primarily as a penis extension for middle aged men

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
What do you mean proof. That's the entire market demographic?
Literally no one else could or would buy that stuff

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Just in case you needed further proof that big ADV's are designed primarily as a penis extension for middle aged men

How can a bike designed primarily for comfort, with all the sensibility of a tax sheltered retirement fund, be considered in any way penis enhancing?
They're bikes for men who know they have a dick-do and can only manage half-mast, but it don't matter because what they do have is financial stability, and a wife who encourages them to get out of the house on weekends to go play adventure with their mates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
They're Sport tourers with a body lift.
Much like the suv segment is a wagon with a body lift.

They're not actually good at doing anything, just decent enough at most everything and looks good at the local cafe despite never having ever seen a fire road.