Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Game of Thrones, especially early seasons, had several times where the number of people on screen was way too small for the location. I'm thinking of a tournament where twenty people showd up, a royal hunt that was four people and a flagon of wine, or a rescue that was a handful of people on a castle wall set somewhere. There was also the conspicuous lack of direwolves once they got too big for dogs to stand in.

This episode also had several dozen people in a crowded city running away from the Seanchan/Aes Sedai fight and twenty-plus named characters just standing around waiting for the Amyrlin to climb some steps. Yes, her party on the road felt a little small, but it wasn't too far out there and the show is clearly spending its casting budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I believe the Amyrlin travels with a small party in the beginning of TGH.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Re every location is a tiny hallway just pointing out that the Rand/lanfear confrontation that led off the episode and finished the last one was literally filmed on top of a giant rock bluff in Morocco

Genuinely do not understand the “looks cheap :smugbird:” posting contingent, like what are we even supposed to discuss in response to that. Ok!

also given how GoT turned out I’m pretty glad this is done differently, for all the money spent it seems like everyone hated it by the end

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

At the end of the day, every show does the best they can with the resources they have. It's almost universally agreed that S2 is better than S1 and there is a marked improvement in just about all aspects.

S2 has a longer runtime and a bigger budget. Amazon Studios is so pleased with Judkins product they gave him another show to run :shrug:

"A live-action adaptation of PlayStation’s hit video game franchise “God of War” has been ordered to series at Amazon’s Prime Video, with “Wheel of Time” boss Rafe Judkins set as showrunner."

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/god-of-war-tv-show-amazon-1235460972/

Hexel fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 23, 2023

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Was that all we’re getting for Logain training Rand? “Hey teach me” “Ok seize the Power. No not like that!” “Ok thanks catch you later”.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I believe the Amyrlin travels with a small party in the beginning of TGH.
To and from Fal Dara? That's like a small army, she comes in with a bunch of pikemen and archers, with drummers, trumpeters, and flagbearers to boot.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Was that all we’re getting for Logain training Rand? “Hey teach me” “Ok seize the Power. No not like that!” “Ok thanks catch you later”.

Yup this is definitely not a recurring thing nossirre they're done showing Rand training.

Come on dude. Shows better every episode.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Fauxshiz posted:

Yup this is definitely not a recurring thing nossirre they're done showing Rand training.

it's a really funny reaction though. any time the show cuts away from Rand i'm yelling at the screen "will we ever see rand again? what the gently caress????"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Watching TV must be hard without object permanence.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Dingleberry2 posted:

And yet none of the shots look like those places. They all look like the same alley and the same set. And GoT had a ton of locations that were not Winterfel or Kings Landing, comparing the production values of both shows and claiming they're similar is being completely disrespectful to GoT.

I'm trying really hard to take this in good faith, but, like, have you watched the first 3 seasons of GoT recently? The first season? Pretty much any episode where they had a direwolf, everything else looked pretty bad because direwolf took all the budget.

The Battle of The Blackwater, a battle in which three separate large armies were involved, had maybe 40 people total.

Almost every shot of King's Landing surrounds was different than the ones before because they kept changing locations and the interior all looked very samey.

The confrontation between Ned and Jaime was just lol awful looking by every conceivable metric.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dingleberry2 posted:

And yet none of the shots look like those places. They all look like the same alley and the same set. And GoT had a ton of locations that were not Winterfel or Kings Landing, comparing the production values of both shows and claiming they're similar is being completely disrespectful to GoT.

All those not-winterfel or KL locations were in the same forest. They'd just turn the camera around or film on the other side of a hill.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

didn't this episode have those weird fluted beach rocks only found in ireland

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Fauxshiz posted:

To be fair, Rand was apparently leaving the city to go save Egwene after that one lesson, but on the other hand there is some question about how much time is passing in this episode for each character, its probably just a couple of days for Egwene, but Rand could have been training for weeks for his rescue mission after he saw her considering the Amerlyn had nearly reached Tar Valon and gets all the way to Cairhein before his departure day. It just looked like he was instantly leaving because of how it was edited, but that isn't necessarily true.

On the third hand, Logain told him "holy poo poo, you're so strong that you're unstoppable," so maybe Rand simply chose to go without further training because Egwene needs help right the hell now.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The "temple to the forsaken" that Lan, Alanna, and her warders stop at is against a cliff side made of the basalt hexagonal columns. They're all across the ways set design, so I assume they're using them as visual reference to "the dark" and will pop up around Shayol Ghul if it ever is featured.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

The point I was trying to make, apparently poorly, was that sometimes the show smacks you in the face with how low budget it feels. Yes, people are right that GoT had shots with far fewer people than should be there, but, the did a better job of making it appear to be a unique area and most of all it was consistent.

In this show the only fights that look good are ones involving Aiel. And every other fight is underwhelming. Like the girls escaping from the Seanchan, there's one shot of them stumbling out of the palm trees into an open area and they've escaped? No indication that they left behind pure chaos in order to have gotten away like they did.

Battle of the Blackwater had a coherent strategy you could follow, the introduction of wildfire and some speeches and character moments.

I agree the show is much better than it was in S2 but it's still inconsistent from scene to scene. I forgot it's a sin here to be a critical viewer when the hive mind changes its opinion on something.

And the showrunner splitting his attention between multiple shows has never backfired, I'm sure all these little inconsistencies will be cleaned up when he has less time to give his attention to things.

Also, how are we supposed to feel about Min's power? She's trying to prevent Mat from going with Rand, but I thought she'd already said her visions always come true? If she thinks she can prevent her own visions from happening she'd go even more crazy not knowing what's real anymore.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dingleberry2 posted:

The point I was trying to make, apparently poorly, was that sometimes the show smacks you in the face with how low budget it feels.

I don't think anyone misunderstood you, I think there's just folks who disagree and bring up their own examples.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Dingleberry2 posted:

The point I was trying to make, apparently poorly, was that sometimes the show smacks you in the face with how low budget it feels. Yes, people are right that GoT had shots with far fewer people than should be there, but, the did a better job of making it appear to be a unique area and most of all it was consistent.

In this show the only fights that look good are ones involving Aiel. And every other fight is underwhelming. Like the girls escaping from the Seanchan, there's one shot of them stumbling out of the palm trees into an open area and they've escaped? No indication that they left behind pure chaos in order to have gotten away like they did.

Battle of the Blackwater had a coherent strategy you could follow, the introduction of wildfire and some speeches and character moments.

I agree the show is much better than it was in S2 but it's still inconsistent from scene to scene. I forgot it's a sin here to be a critical viewer when the hive mind changes its opinion on something.

And the showrunner splitting his attention between multiple shows has never backfired, I'm sure all these little inconsistencies will be cleaned up when he has less time to give his attention to things.

Also, how are we supposed to feel about Min's power? She's trying to prevent Mat from going with Rand, but I thought she'd already said her visions always come true? If she thinks she can prevent her own visions from happening she'd go even more crazy not knowing what's real anymore.

I'm one of the more critical viewers of the show (especially how useless they've made Lan seem), so I don't think it's a sin. It's just an odd comparison to make when the first 16 episodes of GoT look pretty cheap. It was a frequent contemporary complaint about the show.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Dingleberry2 posted:

Lol there are like 4-5 consistently critical posters itt who don’t get owned like you did because they generally stick to “acting bad” or other boring stuff you basically can’t discuss because it’s purely subjective, you were just wrong tho

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

you sheeple just don't see the styrofoam in the The Ways

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

y'all know what keeps getting better? the costumes lol

i was obsessed with rand's embroidery on his white shirt collar and cuffs

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i say swears online posted:

you sheeple just don't see the styrofoam in the The Ways

Now I want to see a knock-down drag-out fight where they're just straight wrecking the Styrofoam surroundings and throwing each other through them

Actually a touch of CG and that would probably legit work for some of the more bombastic battles

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

me, a shepple npc: Renna had a great compelling arc that ep that conveyed mostly through her good acting a universal truth about the steel glove / threat of violence lurking just underneath the myth of the “kindly slave master”, a truth still relevant today

you, a bold truth teller: the tree species that egwene lit on fire would never grow in that climate

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Giggling about Amazon spending a billion dollars on “embroidery”

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Data Graham posted:

Giggling about Amazon spending a billion dollars on “embroidery”

It's what Jordan would have wanted

Maybe a bit of lace around the cuff...

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

silvergoose posted:

now we’re talking…

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
The writing and acting and costume work for Ishaemael and Lanfear has me thinking maybe swearing to the shadow is a good idea.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Flowing Thot posted:

The writing and acting and costume work for Ishaemael and Lanfear has me thinking maybe swearing to the shadow is a good idea.

Written elsewhere:

quote:

For what it’s worth, it isn’t easy to be a rank-and-file Darkfriend. We’ve seen a couple so far. Dana (from the mining village in season 1) took a sword through the neck, and that Shienaran soldier was killed by the Tinkers’ dogs when he attacked the caravan in S2E1

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

i say swears online posted:

i was obsessed with rand's embroidery on his white shirt collar and cuffs

silvergoose posted:

and people try to claim it isn't a faithful adaptation

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

The bit where Nynaeve and Elayne escape did look bad though. It was like they got to the edge of the map so they got to fast travel without having to gather their party before venturing forth. To fix that you would need a longer escape sequence where they actually put distance between themselves and the 50 odd people who were waiting for them and I wouldn't want that either because its not really pushing the story much.

I don't know if the Logain training thing is going anywhere either. Rand is hitting the road and Logain isn't, sure he can experiment on his own but that's not being trained. If its going to continue they need to break Logain out of the asylum, that seems like something Moiraine absolutely would do. If anything what Rand learned from the whole experience is Moiraine is manipulating him, which is a pretty important thread.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I mean, it's the inverse of the book where Egwene gets knocked down and stumbles up to find them long gone :shrug:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

silvergoose posted:

:hmmyes:

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I would not be surprised if this is the case. My only real complaint about this show is that the pace is just too fast.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

They said s2 was TGH and TDR right? Been a lot of TGH but very very little of TDR

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's 2 episodes left in the season and they're very likely going to light off a whole bunch of fireworks at some point during those in regards to stuff from book 3

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

They'll have to lol

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

They said s2 was TGH and TDR right? Been a lot of TGH but very very little of TDR
Rafe said that Books 2 and 3 have very similar narrative arcs that they can’t and won’t do sequentially in two seasons of a TV series. So there is a lot of mixing up and reordering of stuff going to happen. So far it seems that season 2 is mostly following the narrative arc of TGH and season 3 is supposed to mostly follow TSR.

This does not mean that major stuff from TDR is never going to happen (the Stone). We will just have to WAFO.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hexel posted:

At the end of the day, every show does the best they can with the resources they have. It's almost universally agreed that S2 is better than S1 and there is a marked improvement in just about all aspects.

S2 has a longer runtime and a bigger budget. Amazon Studios is so pleased with Judkins product they gave him another show to run :shrug:

"A live-action adaptation of PlayStation’s hit video game franchise “God of War” has been ordered to series at Amazon’s Prime Video, with “Wheel of Time” boss Rafe Judkins set as showrunner."

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/god-of-war-tv-show-amazon-1235460972/

After Season 2 so far (and Season 1, I actually liked it and thought it was cool despite its external hobbles), I am stoked as poo poo to see how Rafe is gonna tackle God of War.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I would not be surprised if this is the case. My only real complaint about this show is that the pace is just too fast.

Or they just decided that there would be time better spent not doing a training montage. Which sucks I like a good training montage

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Those two books are like 80% the same so for every minute of tgh on screen we get 50 seconds of tdr for the same price!

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 24, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Johnny Joestar posted:

there's 2 episodes left in the season and they're very likely going to light off a whole bunch of fireworks at some point during those in regards to stuff from book 3

my guess is that season 3 will be the last few chapters of book 3 and all of book 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Books 2 and 3 are basically the same if you view them in an 8 episode season arc, lots of fat cutting.