Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I wish Falin got to keep her little dragon buddy outside of that dream. I know it's just a part of her soul but it would be cute if she had a little monster pet.

Was thinking the same thing

Maybe she’ll get one in supplemental material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
If you’re jonesing for more Kui, one of her anthology books, Seven Little Sons of the Dragon, is available to buy in English

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Thinking about it:

Falin came from humble origin.

Is now princess/queen due to her brother being a king.

She was cursed and turned into a monster, before turning back to human.

As a result, she is a part dragon and got cute fangs and beautiful unique silvery feathers on her legs, making her ~super special~.

One of her love interest is hot, brooding half-elf mage she studied with, that has dabbled in forbidden magic to save her and is now a wanted criminal

Her other love interest is hot, brooding son of a noble who is her former party member and who came from far away exotic land, organized massive rescue party when she was turned into a monster and hopes to marry her.

She fights crime monsters.

Basically, she is a fantasy romance novel protagonist now. :v:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 16, 2023

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Lt. Lizard posted:

Thinking about it:

As a result, she is a part dragon and got cute fangs and super unique silvery feathers on her legs as a result, making her ~super special~.

One of her love interest is hot, brooding half-elf mage she studied with, that has dabbled in forbidden magic to save and is now a wanted criminal

Her other love interest is hot, brooding son of a noble who is her former party member and who came from far away exotic land, organized massive rescue party when she was turned into a monster and hopes to marry her.

Sarah J Maas just woke up in a cold sweat and the beginning idea for a new book series.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Lt. Lizard posted:

Thinking about it:

As a result, she is a part dragon and got cute fangs and super unique silvery feathers on her legs as a result, making her ~super special~.

One of her love interest is hot, brooding half-elf mage she studied with, that has dabbled in forbidden magic to save her and is now a wanted criminal

Also, has little to no agency within the events of the story, hardly speaks, and is perfect for self-insertion of the reader into the story

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
sigh i want fangies and an elf wife 😔

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The only thing in the entire series that didn't land with me was the bit where Thistle kills the party and we get the little dish name pop-up for Laois' dead party members. I know it's a lighthearted series and knew they'd find a way to bring them back, but it kinda just detracted from the moment. I would've preferred Kui commit to the dread of the total party kill for at least one chapter.

And that's it. Everything else went down easy. I'll definitely read whatever Kui has cooked up next.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Bad Seafood posted:

The only thing in the entire series that didn't land with me was the bit where Thistle kills the party and we get the little dish name pop-up for Laois' dead party members. I know it's a lighthearted series and knew they'd find a way to bring them back, but it kinda just detracted from the moment. I would've preferred Kui commit to the dread of the total party kill for at least one chapter.

And that's it. Everything else went down easy. I'll definitely read whatever Kui has cooked up next.

it was a fun play on the "eat or be eaten" thing

after spending the entire adventure finding new ways to turn monsters into cuisine, they themselves become cuisine at the hands of monsters

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Oh, I understood the joke. It got a chuckle out of me. It just also deflated the moment a little. I would've put that joke somewhere else maybe.

Sometimes you wanna crack a joke, sometimes you gotta let things play out.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
What a great series.

Gochisousama Deshita, Dungeon Meshi

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
I truly think this is the greatest manga ever made. Uncompromisingly good every single chapter

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
yaaaaaaaay

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
regarding the winged lion appearing in the resurrection, the way I took it is magic = demon, so even after his defeat he's still present for that sort of stuff.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

That was really good but I'm still hungry

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Razakai posted:

regarding the winged lion appearing in the resurrection, the way I took it is magic = demon, so even after his defeat he's still present for that sort of stuff.

I kind of read it as "Oh, man, I could do something really hosed-up and cruel here, but you know what, I'm not actually that invested in being a little poo poo. Funny curse it is."

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rand Brittain posted:

I kind of read it as "Oh, man, I could do something really hosed-up and cruel here, but you know what, I'm not actually that invested in being a little poo poo. Funny curse it is."

Mostly same except that after Laios ate the Winged Lion’s old motivations I don’t think he’s capable of caring In the specific way to go for the hosed up curse anymore

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I feel silly for asking, is Laios’ curse monsters won’t go near him?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yup

copy
Jul 26, 2007

what a great loving ride that was. already sad to see it end though. complicated

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Lube Enthusiast posted:

I feel silly for asking, is Laios’ curse monsters won’t go near him?

He seems to attract powerful monsters but they won't go close enough for him to see or study, so there's a bunch of cool monsters just out of reach forever

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

GloomMouse posted:

That was really good but I'm still hungry

We all now suffer the Demon Stomach for more delicious chapters, the eternal and impossible drive to satisfy desire is the true message of the story.

To be honest, I assumed Laios describing his ever-hungry demon stomach was going to be "the curse", because it's the deepest and most fundamental expression of unsatisfied desire the Winged Lion could put upon him. Being kept at arm's length from all monsters seems smaller by comparison, people could still hunt them and bring back some tasty monster steaks for the king.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

laios doesn’t just want to eat monsters, he’s a certified monster freak who wants to understand everything about them and also hang out with them. them being deathly terrified of him sucks a lot but at least he’s got his sister back

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So I just did a full re-read of the manga, and now I desperately need an epilogue.

Did Chilchuck patch things up with his wife?

Did Senshi go his own way, or did he stick around the new country?

Did Pattadol and Mithrun become diplomats?

Did Falin marry Shuro? Or Marcille? Neither? Both???

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Alacron posted:

We may not have a canon answer to this question... but we all know the answer.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

more importantly, did his daughters make a move on the smoking hot dwarf (senshi)

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~

Alacron posted:

Hmm did she marry a guy she brushed off as gently as possible and who didn't even appear in the final chapter, or the woman who's entire arc was about coming to terms with the fact the girl she cares about more than anything in the world will die one day, ending with her finally coming to terms with that in the last moments of the manga, who she then spends the rest of her life together with? truly a mystery that the author hasn't already made as clear as needed in the text already

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
She marries Clark, an accountant who wasn’t in the series.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
who does Marcille's hair now?????

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Clark

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i like jokes that are tired as immediately as they come out of the either

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Alacron posted:

So I just did a full re-read of the manga, and now I desperately need an epilogue.

Did Senshi go his own way, or did he stick around the new country?

Did Pattadol and Mithrun become diplomats?

1, 2 and 3: yes
4: Falin had zero interest in Shuro and now that she's basically royalty she's free to tell him to gently caress off. Laios doesn't seem like the kind of guy to marry off his sister for an alliance, and he won't he in any rush for one either since he is 100% marrying the orc chief's sister. Marcille might have a shot once she clears the crimes against humanity allegations.

Vizuyos posted:

who does Marcille's hair now?????

nobody, she rocks the Sadako look forever

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The kids that Laios talks to at the end being a kobold and an orc really solidified my opinion that his kingdom was going to be a pretty good place

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
We'll definitely get peilogues and extras when the volumes release in december, so we just gotta control our hunger until then. I'm doing it by reading Kui's old anthologies.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

SexyBlindfold posted:

4: Falin had zero interest in Shuro and now that she's basically royalty she's free to tell him to gently caress off. Laios doesn't seem like the kind of guy to marry off his sister for an alliance, and he won't he in any rush for one either since he is 100% marrying the orc chief's sister. Marcille might have a shot once she clears the crimes against humanity allegations.

Now Laios x Shuro, on the other hand...

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

The Divine Orator posted:

Hmm did she marry a guy she brushed off as gently as possible and who didn't even appear in the final chapter, or the woman who's entire arc was about coming to terms with the fact the girl she cares about more than anything in the world will die one day, ending with her finally coming to terms with that in the last moments of the manga, who she then spends the rest of her life together with? truly a mystery that the author hasn't already made as clear as needed in the text already

Eh, I think Falin and Marcille will be roommates. Really special friends. They'll always show up for holidays, feasts and family gatherings together.

Speaking of best buds I like how Kabru is one of the advisors. I don't even think Laois asked, I think Kabru just kept showing up and Laois went along with it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
kabru there to fill in two niches, guy who is willing to stone cold kill someone and guy who tells others when to take a bath

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Snooze Cruise posted:

kabru there to fill in two niches, guy who is willing to stone cold kill someone and guy who tells others when to take a bath

The man knows how to make himself indispensable.

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!

The Divine Orator posted:

Hm? Didn't appear in the final chapter? Shuro appeared in several panels in the final chapter, like this one. Certainly not a major player, but don't sell the poor guy short! Plus we haven't even heard his answer yet!

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I mean the adventurer's bible just straight up says Falin has no romantic feelings for Shuro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The dragon might