Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hope is just the larval stage of disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i release winds all the time, how hard can it be

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Xiahou Dun posted:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Xiahou Dun posted:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I have been hopefully telling myself since at least 2012, "maybe we'll hear something about Winds this year :downs:"

It's me. I'm the fool

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
After a Prance with Ponies I really stopped having any hopes for the series. Sure, he might release Winds (pun intended), but it'll be a hot mess and I'll regret the time I'll spend reading it. I might not even bother to read it

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

If it comes out I’ll read it but with a completely different attitude than the rest of them. Like going to watch a car crash rather than an F1 race.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Beginning to think the "American" in "The American Tolkien" has proved to be an insult. Fat, lazy and thinks about sisterfucking a lot.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah he’s the American Tolkien in the sense of “covered in melted cheese product”

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

this person has seasonal affective disorder and only discovered it thanks to GRRM. another life saved by the master of fantasy himself

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I heard about Orson Scott Card finally writing the last book in the Ender series after 25 years, so even though he's gone full chud I decided to at least read the ending (obviously I didn't give him money).

I expected it to be bad but I was still surprised. He handwaved every mystery he'd set up before, made changes that contradicted previous stuff as if he didn't remember the old story, and it was just generally boring and poorly written, with no story arc or real payoff. Just a weird side story about sentient birds that gives you a wet fart of an ending 25 years after the previous book. Then in the epilogue he basically goes "I had no idea how to finish this story but people kept asking for a sequel so when I read a book about birds I decided to make it about that".

What I'm saying is that's how GRRM's ending would go if he ever got around to it.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Did he ever go anywhere with the aliens that tried to send people neurotransmitters, ostensibly as a form of communication?

I thought that was pretty cool but otherwise he really dropped the ball after Speaker for the Dead.

p.s. grrm bad

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Trivia posted:

Did he ever go anywhere with the aliens that tried to send people neurotransmitters, ostensibly as a form of communication?

I thought that was pretty cool but otherwise he really dropped the ball after Speaker for the Dead.

p.s. grrm bad

Not even sure which aliens you're talking about, did they show up in the Shadow series? The sad thing about Card is that his original 4 Ender books were actually really neat and pretty instrumental in my love of sci-fi as an 11 year-old (which apparently is when everyone falls in love with Ender Game), so it's too bad he is such a piece of poo poo. Few times has a novel blown my mind as hard as it did when they revealed the completely alien life-cycle of the creatures that lived on that Brazil-planet. It was just such a neat paradigm shifting idea that showed that alien life could still use the same building blocks of the universe to make itself, but everything else can just be completely beyond our ability to initially understand.

EDIT: The Shadow series was when his rear end really started showing, with all the characters being based on Card's really weird stereotypes of different nationalities and the long descriptions of Petra's perfect Armenian body.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

He's talking about the Descoladores, the species that presumably created the Descolada virus. In the 4th book they find their planet and try to communicate with them but all their messages are just blueprints for viruses and molecules, and at some point they send blueprints for a sedative. The theory was that they communicate through molecules and they expected them to just create these molecules and consume them.

Trivia posted:

Lmao no, he just retcons it all. It's incredible.

That planet wasn't the origin of the virus, it was just some human colony that developed genetics a lot and created sentient birds. They also modified some humans during spaceflight to have hands instead of feet because that makes it easier to hold on to things in zero G. The whole "they communicate through molecules" thing was just a misunderstanding I poo poo you not. Card basically retcons it so it was like "we sent them a copy of the descolada virus and they sent us one back" and that's it, when in reality they spent a large chunk of the 4th book trying to figure out their molecular language and theorizing about whether this new alien species might be beyond human comprehension. But no, nevermind that, it's just humans.

Turns out they had the virus too but it was a harmless version of it. Apparently the original virus was sent by an unknown species to catalogue alien life, and all it's supposed to do is record alien DNA. Radiation made it randomly mutate during spaceflight and turned it into the terraforming, genetic modificating, incredibly complex and potentially sentient virus from the other books.
It's extremely stupid.

By the way a whole bunch of people all learn to teleport like Jane does and they spend the book teleporting all around the universe and the new planet. It's like an anime power, it gets super dumb.

It truly is a D&D tier ending.

Elman fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 25, 2023

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
It only reminds me of Orson Lannister.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
If GRRM is 75 and he's been working on the last book for 12+ years, imagine how old he'll be when Time for Spring comes out

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

some bust on that guy posted:

If GRRM is 75 and he's been working on the last book for 12+ years, imagine how old he'll be when Time for Spring comes out

I mean "Deceased" is technically an age, right?

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

some bust on that guy posted:

Not Time. Dream. As in dream on.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

As in you’ll only ever read that poo poo in your dreams

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Weird. It's almost as if setting up a world to serve a narrative should have limitations on it to... properly serve the narrative.

That's the annoying thing when GRRM calls his writing style "gardening." In a proper garden you don't just haphazardly throw seeds everywhere and see what happens. Gardens require *planning*.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Very few series do as much describing of food as SoIaF does, it's true, so in terms of flavor it probably wins out against almost all of them.

Of course it still can't compete with Redwall :britain:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Kylaer posted:

Very few series do as much describing of food as SoIaF does, it's true, so in terms of flavor it probably wins out against almost all of them.

Write what you know

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Dirac Fourier posted:

I don't think we're ever getting another ASOIAF book out of GRRM, but I still check for a status update about once a year. I found this timeline which is depressing:

2010: Martin says in a blog post that he already had some finished chapters of 'The Winds of Winter'
2011: Martin doesn't give a firm answer for when fans could expect the novel
2012: Martin says he thinks 'The Winds of Winter' will come out in 2014
2014: Martin hopes to finish 'The Winds of Winter' before the HBO show catches up with him
March 2015: Martin tells Access that he still has far to go on the novel
April 2015: Martin says he's doing whatever he can to clear his slate and work on the book
2016: Martin writes in a blog post that the novel isn't finished
2017: Martin tells a fan he hopes the book could be released by the end of the year
2018: Martin tells The Guardian that he has been 'struggling' with the book
March 2019: Martin says he doesn't know how HBO's 'Game of Thrones' will end because he's working on his novel
May 2019: Martin says he's working on multiple projects while also writing 'The Winds of Winter'
November 2019: Martin says he's prioritizing 'The Winds of Winter' over 'House of the Dragon' scripts
January 2020: Martin says he hadn't thought the TV show would pass his progress on the books
June 2020: Martin writes that he's still plugging away at the novel during the pandemic
November 2020: Martin says he's 'picking up steam again' on the book
February 2021: Martin says he needs to 'keep rolling'
March 2021: Martin once again confirms 'Winds' is on his docket
March 2022: Martin says it's 'wearisome' to constantly clarify that he's working on 'Winds of Winter'
April 2022: Martin says the novel is going to be long
May 2022: Martin says people are being 'vicious' over how late the book is
July 2022: Martin says he finds the book diverging more from the HBO show as he writes
December 2022: Martin mentions 'Winds of Winter' in an end of year post
July 2023: Martin says he's working 'almost every day' on the novel

Incredible lmao, at least the series still provides comedy material

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

E erybody should binge read Malazan books in the meantime

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Counterpoint, Malazan should never be read and everyone should read Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series instead.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Kylaer posted:

Counterpoint, ASoIaF should never be read and everyone should read Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series instead.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Phenotype posted:

Counterpoint, ASoIaF should never be read and everyone should read Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun series instead.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

:haibrow:

Didn't he die with the series unfinished though

(Technically so did Patrick O'Brian but the last published book is basically the ideal series finale)

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Kylaer posted:

:haibrow:

Didn't he die with the series unfinished though

(Technically so did Patrick O'Brian but the last published book is basically the ideal series finale)

Nope. All four books of that series are completely done and out.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I remember reading he died with some series incomplete and people were mourning not getting a proper ending for it.

I will add Book of the New Sun to my list of things to read.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Plan to read all 4 books once, take some time off, then reread all 4 books again. Do not discuss the series with people in-between. Enjoy the fact that you basically are reading a completely different story the second time through knowing where everything ends up and seeing all the events happening in the background in a new light. Do not read the 5th book until you've fully digested the original 4 because it just gives away all the subtext.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

LiterallyATomato posted:

Weird. It's almost as if setting up a world to serve a narrative should have limitations on it to... properly serve the narrative.

That's the annoying thing when GRRM calls his writing style "gardening." In a proper garden you don't just haphazardly throw seeds everywhere and see what happens. Gardens require *planning*.

And pruning.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Let’s all read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell.

Speaking of next books that are coming out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

this kind of comment just bums me out

There's not exactly a shortage of people who have overly ambitious and complicated ideas that fizzle out well short of the finish line. What made GRRM exciting is that he had these cool and grand ideas and he was active and had a clear plan for the end. We knew it'd be six (later seven for ~symbolic~ reasons) books really early on, and he cranked out 3 huge titles in 6 years so there was really good reason to believe he knew what he was doing

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

E erybody should binge read Malazan books in the meantime

*700K unnecessary words about characters you won't see or care about again until book 8*

Why have I done this?

Never have I read a more boring series. Makes the WoT Slog seem like fast paced urban fantasy.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
If we're suggesting other epic series that are actually good and finished:

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Counterpoint, everyone should read Janny Wurts' The Wars of Light and Shadow series instead.

If you start now, you will be done just in time for the release of Book 11, the finale, in May 2024. That's 8 months away!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
remember when Stephen King couldn't finish his magnum opus The Dark Tower and delayed the next book for a massive 6 year delay lmao

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

crepeface posted:

remember when Stephen King couldn't finish his magnum opus The Dark Tower and delayed the next book for a massive 6 year delay lmao

Remember when three years to develop Daikatana was considered to be a ludicrously long time for a game to be made?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Completely forgot about Daikatana. It was such a big subject at the time but than the game was pretty meh and got completely forgotten