Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Barreft posted:

Books 2 and 3 are basically the same if you view them in an 8 episode season arc, lots of fat cutting.

Narratively they have a lot of similarities. They could have falme be the end of this season, which is his announcement to the world that he is the dragon reborn. Off into the wastes for season 3 to become the car'a'carn in season 3, and then instead of the whole military campaign to take illian, it's to take Tear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Now I want to see a knock-down drag-out fight where they're just straight wrecking the Styrofoam surroundings and throwing each other through them

Actually a touch of CG and that would probably legit work for some of the more bombastic battles

There is that one fight between Nynave and I think Moghadien in the museum with the Domination Band and the Mercedes emblem that if an outside observer saw would best be described as "Two women glare at each other across a room". The not being able to see each others weaves thing men and women have going on could be used really well to build tension if done right, but I know showing it is important to the show.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

CainFortea posted:

Narratively they have a lot of similarities. They could have falme be the end of this season, which is his announcement to the world that he is the dragon reborn. Off into the wastes for season 3 to become the car'a'carn in season 3, and then instead of the whole military campaign to take illian, it's to take Tear.

This makes a lot of sense. Would love to see it done in ten episodes rather than 8, though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CainFortea posted:

but what about boundless

i want boundless

also its p obvious that yeah this will be the massive battle in the sky over falme for the end of season but i'm not really sure how callandor plays into it

i guess it kinda makes sense to go to the Waste first instead of having him grab it and then immediately put it back

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Callandor was pretty pointless besides against the Seanchan in POD and then at the end of AMOL.

The sword in the stone can easily be cut until the end.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

seaborgium posted:

There is that one fight between Nynave and I think Moghadien in the museum with the Domination Band and the Mercedes emblem that if an outside observer saw would best be described as "Two women glare at each other across a room". The not being able to see each others weaves thing men and women have going on could be used really well to build tension if done right, but I know showing it is important to the show.

Having the battle going with full SFX going only to cut to the perspective of some custodian mopping the floor while two women glare at each other would be pretty funny

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Barreft posted:

Callandor was pretty pointless besides against the Seanchan in POD and then at the end of AMOL.

The climax of the Stone was pretty awesome though, everyone showing up in Tear for valid but independent reasons. Falme, in the book and show, feels pretty forced.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

falme is definitely end-of-season material in terms of something that kinda shifts the dynamic. it's going to be a lot of them meeting up again, in some form, and a few triumphant moments to really kinda help pull up from this latest episode really kicking viewers a bit. it'll also, maybe, give mat something for once to go off of since show-only folks are probably at this point wondering why the gently caress he's hanging around compared to everyone else's deals.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i just had a thought

min saw mat shanking rand

we've now seen lanfear pretending to be rand

i wonder if mat shanks a forsaken :thunk:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

seaborgium posted:

They already did "Rand can't see Lanfear's weaves" among other perception tricks like that so it wouldn't be out of line with what we've seen so far.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i just had a thought

:golfclap:

And of course the dagger will be powerful enough to kill a Forsaken.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i just had a thought

Ooh good catch, I figured either Mat was stabbing not-Rand or it was not-Mat stabbing him, but this is a good connection for it being the former

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i just had a thought

It’s in tension with book-Min’s visions, though. Any time she has ever known what a vision means, she’s been right. There wasn’t, as far as I can remember, any trickery where her prophecies were fulfilled but not in the way she expected.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Was Logain able to see Rand drawing in Saidin? Because it seemed like it, but that just might be TV being what it is and he couldn't actually.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I got the impression he could see it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Grundulum posted:

It’s in tension with book-Min’s visions, though. Any time she has ever known what a vision means, she’s been right. There wasn’t, as far as I can remember, any trickery where her prophecies were fulfilled but not in the way she expected.

the thing it makes me think of is Min's viewing that Alivia will 'help Rand die'

it certainly can't be 1:1 but that kind of questionable understanding of what exactly it means feels like what they're invoking by adding this plot

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I got the impression he could see it.

Same.

I don't remember whether severed channelers could actually see weaves, even though I do know they're still able to sense the source. It's only burned out channelers that can't sense anything anymore.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Dingleberry2 posted:

The climax of the Stone was pretty awesome though, everyone showing up in Tear for valid but independent reasons. Falme, in the book and show, feels pretty forced.

Yeah but my point is it can be moved to season 7 or something if it gets that far.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Grundulum posted:

My assumption is that this is just going to be a difference in how her visions work due to the difference between books and TV. In the books she can see a weird symbol and spend a paragraph explaining it, and because she can take the time to talk about it and explain it the vision is allowed to be absolute and unchangeable. With the show, they've already changed from esoteric symbols to actual scenes that viewers can easily understand, and as a tradeoff it's possible that they're now allowed to be fluid and subject to minor shenanigans.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Barreft posted:

Or moved to Rhuidian. Could have been one of the ter'angreal the aiel carried and it sat there forever because no aiel would touch a sword.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Barty's been doing such a good job playing a sensitive nice guy I can't wait for the darkfriend reveal

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Nihilarian posted:

Barty's been doing such a good job playing a sensitive nice guy I can't wait for the darkfriend reveal

To borrow a line from the One Piece Netflix series, “There are good and bad Aes Sedai. Why can’t there be good and bad Darkfriends, too?”

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Grundulum posted:

To borrow a line from the One Piece Netflix series, “There are good and bad Aes Sedai. Why can’t there be good and bad Darkfriends, too?”
I mean. There can be "nice" Darkfriends, but Darkfriends are definitionally bad.

Like, take Verin for instance. Probably top of the list of "good Darkfriends". Something that kinda gets glossed over in her redemption is that she's 100% killed a fuckload of people (a decent chunk of which are going to have nominally been "good guys") and there's a reasonable shot that she's pretty heavily to blame for, say, most of the events of The Great Hunt. I suppose it's a bit of a means and ends conversation, but if Verin hadn't been lucky enough to be alive during the time of the Dragon Reborn she'd have just been more or less another rando Black Ajah.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

bio347 posted:

I mean. There can be "nice" Darkfriends, but Darkfriends are definitionally bad.

Like, take Verin for instance. Probably top of the list of "good Darkfriends". Something that kinda gets glossed over in her redemption is that she's 100% killed a fuckload of people (a decent chunk of which are going to have nominally been "good guys") and there's a reasonable shot that she's pretty heavily to blame for, say, most of the events of The Great Hunt. I suppose it's a bit of a means and ends conversation, but if Verin hadn't been lucky enough to be alive during the time of the Dragon Reborn she'd have just been more or less another rando Black Ajah.

She even says so directly when Egwene tries to soft sell it.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Flowing Thot posted:

Was Logain able to see Rand drawing in Saidin? Because it seemed like it, but that just might be TV being what it is and he couldn't actually.

Moirainne was also able to see Verin's weaves earlier in the season during the Myrdraal incursion.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Flowing Thot posted:

Devorum posted:

Moirainne was also able to see Verin's weaves earlier in the season during the Myrdraal incursion.

Logain was also able to see how Rand was lit up like a Christmas tree in the Source when the Aes Sedai paraded him through Tar Valon.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Logain was also able to see how Rand was lit up like a Christmas tree in the Source when the Aes Sedai paraded him through Tar Valon.

That was (ostensibly) Logain’s Talent-with-a-capital-T for seeing ta’veren, which as we’ve seen from Min/Mat/Perrin does not require the One Power to function. Maybe the show changed Logain’s Talent, though. I don’t recall.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Devorum posted:

Yeah, I'm still thinking she is shielded not stilled though.

I think he said he saw his strength in the power not the Ta'Veren-ness in the show. Also in the books when he saw Rand in Camelyn it was before he was gentled not after like the show.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

re: The Stone, my theory is that it'll be a mid-season pseudo-finale in S3 before the second half of the episodes focus on core Shadows Rising stuff. The whole point of Rand going to the Stone in TDR was that after Falme he needed to know beyond any shadow of a doubt that he was the Dragon, and the fall of the Stone was the one part of the prophecy that everybody in the world knew and completely understood, it was THE sign of the End Times that nobody in the world would doubt or question (in theory) including himself. This version of Rand isn't swimming in doubt and denial over being the Dragon like Book Rand, but I don't think its all that much of a stretch that he might go to Tear for a similar reason.

I don't think you can just skip strait to the Waste and move Callandor to Rhuidean. There's a lot of important stuff that happens before everyone goes trekking off into the desert, and I think it would be hard to rewrite it so that it happens in the Waste. Matt getting his luck and finding out Thom is alive, the start of the Black Ajah Hunt, the reveal that freed Forsaken have taken over three kingdoms in Randland and meeting Faile and Juilin all come to mind. TDR is also when we really start digging into the idea of Ta'veren, and I think having an Aeil Army show up by total coincidence at the exact moment Rand needs them to bring down the Stone will be one of the best ways to really hammer that idea home.

In a larger structural sense, the Stone and the events surrounding it is also the complete team's last victory as a unit before they all start going their separate ways (and Rand actively starts working to keep himself away from all of them, which has big thematic importance in the long run). I sincerely doubt the showrunners wouldn't see that.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

This version of Rand isn't swimming in doubt and denial over being the Dragon like Book Rand, but I don't think its all that much of a stretch that he might go to Tear for a similar reason.

I haven't posted much about the show lately because it's such a different property at this point, but I do feel a big void here. Rand's internal struggle is pretty much the thoroughline of the entire book series, and is directly linked to the larger conflict, and in a more meta sense, marked such an elevation of the genre. I think the show would be doing a disservice if it didn't make more time to really delve into this stuff. Its the heart of WoT.

It's such an interesting evolution too. Rand's mental struggles: first book (will I get killed), second book (will I change), third book (am I the guy that will kill everyone), fourth book (yeah I'm that guy, what am I supposed to do now), fifth book (how do I make sure I kill the right people), sixth book (I better get used to not caring about killing), and so on (lol I could try to do this for the rest of the books, but you get the idea). It's a cool, mostly internally based, progression of mental struggle and really, barely managed trauma.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think they are, correctly, not going nearly as deep in to Rand being insanely angsty this early in the series, relatively. In the books, especially book 3, he went absolutely bugfuck nuts REAL FAST and RJ had to reel that back in when he realized "oh wait I have way way more books to write, no way in hell this is going to be a 6 book series."

Given the seeds planted to the resolution of Rand's final conflict in literally the first episode, I am pretty confident that they understand the whole through line of the books in this regard lol.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Also, if you watch stradowski in other things, he's really great at rage and intimidation and it's clear he was.cast with later books in mind.

He's also apparently actually read the whole series

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

I think they are, correctly, not going nearly as deep in to Rand being insanely angsty this early in the series, relatively. In the books, especially book 3, he went absolutely bugfuck nuts REAL FAST and RJ had to reel that back in when he realized "oh wait I have way way more books to write, no way in hell this is going to be a 6 book series."

Given the seeds planted to the resolution of Rand's final conflict in literally the first episode, I am pretty confident that they understand the whole through line of the books in this regard lol.

Yeah I agree with book 3's insane rampup, but there is still of interesting angst that still is shy of that worth exploring, imo. Otherwise its just a depicted series of talking in a room or swordfight scenes, which mainstream fantasy was without the psychological heft WoT introduced

e: ^^^ Yeah its clear that he has some dramatic skills. Which is way I got confused about people just calling him a male model. That guy is already good at showing angst. Give me more of it!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Complainers are just jealous of his abs.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
He is literally a male model tbf

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rarity posted:

He is literally a male model tbf

He is, but when talking about him in the context of a TV show he is acting in, it's a dismissive jibe instead of a factual statement.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

withak posted:

Complainers are just jealous of his abs.

I would love to look like him but also I love eating pizza and candy soooo

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Just wanted to say I'm enjoying the show with the clear understanding it is being its own thing and is more broad strokes than necessarily nailing everything as written.

It def needs more episodes per season and more run time, but they got a bit more run time in S2 here and I feel like its doing well enough that it may get the additional time and money it'll take to do 10 per season and give a few pieces more room to breathe.

I feel like each episode has been a bit stronger than the last in S2 so fingers crossed it doesn't stumble like S1 did with the last bits now that they aren't completely disrupted by a pandemic.

I'm still just glad its getting a thing, and by and large the show runners seem to get the core ideas even if all their execution doesn't quite jive with old book fan in me.

Costuming, sound design, and casting are all really really good which helps with my benefit of the doubt. I like all our core crew, the villains are really really good, and some of the folks have grown on me in ways that makes me feel better about them than their book counterparts at this point of the story. I'd call out the actress playing Elayne as a really really strong addition to the cast, she looks the part and I think is portraying the important pieces of her character really really well while making her more likable than her early writing was.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 25, 2023

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

We all agree with Anton Chekhov that if you show a wizard slave being taught by her slave master how to light something on fire in act one, then the wizard slave's master is getting lit on fire in act three, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

pseudorandom name posted:

We all agree with Anton Chekhov that if you show a wizard slave being taught by her slave master how to light something on fire in act one, then the wizard slave's master is getting lit on fire in act three, right?

Hopefully Nynaeve and Elayne slap that collar they're now stuck with on her before Egwene lights her up like a bonfire just for the extra insult to injury.