Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's bad. Hard to have confidence in how things will wrap up, tbh!

It's good. Easy to have confidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
On the theme of love: Gojo needed Sukuna to affirm that he was still human, and Sukuna needed Gojo to gain more power. Gojo seemed relieved in his dream since this meant he was no longer the strongest. He was able to die as Gojo Satoru. That's why I don't think he's coming back, the context is different from his past resurrection. Ever since his transcendence, he's been struggling with his identity, and now he finally has closure.

yum fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 24, 2023

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

If he’s disabled Sukuna’s domain for the remainder of the fight that’s pretty major. However I agree as with Sukuna’s upgrade/evolution he’s even stronger now. I did expect more namely him being pushed out of Megumi’s body. I fully expect Kashimo to be swatted down though. *through tears* glad he acknowledged Gojo

Also “I’m not sure I could have beaten him even with ten shadows” is designed to insure the arguments about this right never cease lol

I mean, he's the one who wrote in the back of the box in the first place, and honestly, there's so many interesting options you can come up with that don't amount to Sukuna just deciding he can target reality itself and winning that way, that I feel like criticism is more than earned. Again, I don't mind Gojo dying, but this is a really sloppy ending to what was, so far, written more as an exploration of the fighting system than a character-driven moment. it also brings into stark relief just how much JJK needed character interactions since Shibuya ended.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

You think Kashimo is actually getting a fight or is it just gonna open with his dead body next chapter?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I'm satisfied. I'd previously mentioned here what I specifically didn't want was neither more 10 Shadows bs nor "I could've won at any time; I was just holding back", and this reversal landed impeccably between the two buckets.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if gege really does like emulating togashi then this could feasibly go down like what happened to yomi in yu yu hakusho - super-powerful villain beats the hero but gets murked by the weaker follow-up combatant

it's all up in the air, but kashimo's technique is an unknown and i can't think of any known factors that might challenge sukuna at this point. comedian guy might be able to warp reality but he doesn't understand his power well enough

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm conflicted because it makes more narrative sense for gojo to lose and the story wouldn't have anywhere to go if he didn't, but also they literally declared him the victor last chapter and this one immediately swerving off of that feels a little too much like late bleach to me. I hope gojo stays dead because pulling a kakashi would be so lame. also the chapter opens on that classic jjk staple of a hard cut with no context so it's not immediately obvious what's happening or why

tho really the big problem I have is that it was more interesting to me if gojo won and I wanted to see what gege would do with that, so going right back to the standard outcome is disappointing. like it's not that it's BAD, it's just not what I wanted. I'll prob enjoy it more on a reread since it was a really good fight on the whole

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

if gege really does like emulating togashi then this could feasibly go down like what happened to yomi in yu yu hakusho - super-powerful villain beats the hero but gets murked by the weaker follow-up combatant

it's all up in the air, but kashimo's technique is an unknown and i can't think of any known factors that might challenge sukuna at this point. comedian guy might be able to warp reality but he doesn't understand his power well enough

We don't know what Yuji's CT is, we don't know what effect consuming the other Death Paintings might've had (other than at some point Gege mentioned he would ordinarily gain the power of Cursed Objects he ate if it wasn't for Sukuna inside him) which seems to be what he's been up to, we don't know what Kenjaku is up to either and he might try to nab Sukuna and/or Gojo (since we've been shown he can keep CTs from previous host bodies), as previously mentioned Kashimo's CT is an unknown, Maki was able to blindside Sukuna once already and she's got the yet unusued Split Soul Katana while Sukuna lost his Domain Expansion sure hit AoE, etc.

One other thing is that, while it might have just been one more thing Gojo was wrong about, he always kept talking up Yuta while villains were dismissive of his capabilities, and we still don't know how he got Rikka back or the true extent of his potential.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

EmmyOk posted:

If he’s disabled Sukuna’s domain for the remainder of the fight that’s pretty major. However I agree as with Sukuna’s upgrade/evolution he’s even stronger now. I did expect more namely him being pushed out of Megumi’s body. I fully expect Kashimo to be swatted down though. *through tears* glad he acknowledged Gojo

Also “I’m not sure I could have beaten him even with ten shadows” is designed to insure the arguments about this right never cease lol

I don't think Sukuna's space cutting blade actually changes much. Sukuna is for sure far weaker than he was at the start of the fight. He lost both Mahoraga and his Domain.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Conspiratiorist posted:

We don't know what Yuji's CT is, we don't know what effect consuming the other Death Paintings might've had (other than at some point Gege mentioned he would ordinarily gain the power of Cursed Objects he ate if it wasn't for Sukuna inside him) which seems to be what he's been up to, we don't know what Kenjaku is up to either and he might try to nab Sukuna and/or Gojo (since we've been shown he can keep CTs from previous host bodies), as previously mentioned Kashimo's CT is an unknown, Maki was able to blindside Sukuna once already and she's got the Split Soul Katana, etc.

One other thing is that, while it might have just been one more thing Gojo was wrong about, he always kept talking up Yuta while villains were dismissive of his capabilities, and we still don't know how he got Rikka back or the true extent of his potential.
Yuji does not have a CT, but the eating other cursed objects might have done something weird, like that bodyswap thing.

We know how Yuta got Rika back, the new Rika is a Shikigami with some left over capabilities of the old Rika. While he's trained up, he's not as strong as he was with fully Unleashed Rika in 0. New Rika serves as a storage for Cursed Techniques and Tools he can use when he puts on the Promise Ring (Though it's time limited for five minutes)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think Sukuna's space cutting blade actually changes much. Sukuna is for sure far weaker than he was at the start of the fight. He lost both Mahoraga and his Domain.

I hope his domain is down for a significant amount of time. I wonder if his space cutter will make it possible to break domains more easily from inside though. As part of the difficulty of breaking them internally generally comes from being unable to locate the barrier edge

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

When there’s a fight and the chapter opens with a character in a location associated with taking a journey

And a dead character shows up to talk with them

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I'm glad it's over and we can move onto the real fight. Yuji was doing all that secret training for a reason ya know

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kashimo is very strong and their abilities without showing a technique are insanely impressive. Him doing well against Sukuna is still the last thing I want to see lol. At least solo.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I also feel like I’ll be so much less stressed every week now that Gojo is finally down instead of worrying “is this when it happens?”

I felt last weeks “this means Gojo wins” was always super ominous. Rather than this eeek feeling out of nowhere.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I still stand by the idea that they’ll be interrupted almost immediately. Kashimo may get his technique ready and then Kenny pops up and steals Gojos body, and technique. Doing that means he retains cursed spirit manipulation and gets limitless/6 eyes. He wants to optimize cursed energy, and having access to 6 eyes allows him to optimize cursed spirit manipulation, and start the ritual.

I genuinely think Kenjaku plan with this fight is “whoever loses, I get their body.” Stealing Sukuna/megumi’s body would have been less good for him but still good probably.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

MonsterEnvy posted:

He's also healing really slowly. If there was a time to charge at Sukuna with your "I can only used this Cursed Technique once", it's now.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Funniest possible option: gojo was right about yuji inheriting Sukuna’s technique and Sukuna bragging about this new development means Yuji figures out how to do it too before the story’s end

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I feel like Kashimo's CT is almost definitely some kind of Gai-like steroid to increase his stats, and that he'll probably get an advantage against Sukuna with it for 1-2 chapters before Sukuna no sells him with some new innovation, perhaps "why bother using my domain, I'll just apply my CT to everywhere within a 2km radius normally without my shrine." (nah we know Gege has probably been prepping this to show us Sukuna's heavily foreshadowed lightning technique from the cover that dropped with Sukuna holding a vajra)

With the official chapter name and everything I really feel like something will happen with Gojo though, maybe some kind of evolution like people have postulated. Maybe Gege does play it straight though, at this point I have no idea.

I don't think Kenjaku is going to steal Gojo's body. That would be an insanely predictable twist and if Gege goes for it I'm going to start being actually disappointed rather than just salty

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hypocrisy posted:

He's also healing really slowly. If there was a time to charge at Sukuna with your "I can only used this Cursed Technique once", it's now.

Watch Kashimo pull a Vegeta and let Sukuna heal because it doesn't count if he's not at 100%.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kashimo when Sukuna reveals his CE texture is rubber

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Electric Phantasm posted:

Watch Kashimo pull a Vegeta and let Sukuna heal because it doesn't count if he's not at 100%.

this. the man didn't travel hundreds of years in the future to get someone's sloppy seconds

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

You think Kashimo is actually getting a fight or is it just gonna open with his dead body next chapter?
Won't even show the body, never mentioned again

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm very confused, like this chapter was meant to come next week and Shonen Jump accidentally skipped this week's. I actually had to go check if I missed one but no, it just randomly skipped from a situation to the exact opposite with no explanation.

I wouldn't mind this ending if it made sense, but this is not good. I hope we get context soon because this is very unsatisfying like this.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
He got cut in half, thats what happened

Sukuna even explains how

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

His upper half will land on gojo's lower half and the fight continues on.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I hope Kashimo is squashed in two panels cause you couldn't pay me to give a poo poo about him

Get the hell out of the way old man

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

EmmyOk posted:

Kashimo when Sukuna reveals his CE texture is rubber

How did that happen?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just want the boring culling game characters to get quickly culled so the series can get back to characters I care about.

Even if most of them are dead, possessed or crippled.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

Well there you go - he'll think "man it'd be funny if Sukuna beat Gojo, only to lose to this random guy soon after.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Tosk posted:

The only thing I really don't like is Gojo saying he doesn't think he could have won even if Sukuna didn't have Megumi's CT. His entire strategy pretty much depended on it bro, he even spells out that he needed Mahoraga to show him a way to hurt him, at least recognize that it would have been a totally different fight. That's the only bit that really doesn't line up with what we saw in my opinion.

Brought To You By posted:

Saying he couldn't beat the guy if that guy didn't have the sole justification for this chapter doesn't make sense. No mahoraga, no enhanced Cleave, Gojo probably wins.

The story has hinted multiple times that Sukuna still has an ace up his sleeve which is why all of his combatants are going at him 1v1 Mortal Kombat style right now. For one, Sukuna has yet to use Yorozu's gift, so even if Sukuna did not win with Ten Shadows, he probably had something else. If anything, the point of Gojo, Kashimo, and the rest to follow is to forcibly empty out Sukuna's bag of tricks until Yuta/Yuji can do their ace in the hole. Sukuna currently does not have Mahoraga, Nue, or his domain; Kashimo just needs to be stronger than Cleave and Dismantle to exhaust Sukuna further.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Gojo acknowledges that Sukuna could have won without 10 Shadows because he realized that Sukuna is the superior jujutsu user. It wasn't that Sukuna's only way to win was through the 10 Shadows, but rather Sukuna purposefully chose the riskier strategy because there was the potential for a high reward. His gamble paid off since he came out of this with the ability to cut space itself, but it was an extremely ballsy move. He had to tank hits from Gojo Satoru while stalling for Mahoraga whose 2nd adaptation could've been something unusable. If you recall, the cursed spirits were making GBS threads themselves at the thought of having to distract Gojo for 5 minutes, let alone an indefinite period of time.

Sukuna pulled a similar gamble with Yuji and the binding vow. He embodies the jujutsu way of taking extreme risks to bring about growth. Like, Gojo was fighting to protect others, but Sukuna entered the fight with no other purpose than to increase his power. It was also due to this selfishness that permitted Sukuna to go for the riskier strategy, as opposed to Gojo who can't afford to mess around.

yum fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 25, 2023

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I think the hard cut to Gojo being dead was an interesting choice but putting that hard cut between chapters rather than in the middle of a chapter was a mistake.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

MonsterEnvy posted:

sukuna will apply rct to heal 10 shadows.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm very confused, like this chapter was meant to come next week and Shonen Jump accidentally skipped this week's. I actually had to go check if I missed one but no, it just randomly skipped from a situation to the exact opposite with no explanation.

I wouldn't mind this ending if it made sense, but this is not good. I hope we get context soon because this is very unsatisfying like this.

Gojo was bisected by Sukuna's newly improved CT while gloating. The chapter begins with him reflecting over his life as a style choice by the author to convey how sudden and complete this reversal was.

Sukuna explains how he developed the method to bypass Limitless, and depicting the attack itself isn't truly necessary as it evidently played out just like the dozens of times we've previously seen him cut down targets with Cleave - it's an instant and deadly technique against anyone without proper defenses up.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

still think it's funny they did the work to unseal him and dies

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It owns lol

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

a.lo posted:

still think it's funny they did the work to unseal him and dies

i hope he has some post-mortem trickery going on.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Flair posted:

The story has hinted multiple times that Sukuna still has an ace up his sleeve which is why all of his combatants are going at him 1v1 Mortal Kombat style right now. For one, Sukuna has yet to use Yorozu's gift, so even if Sukuna did not win with Ten Shadows, he probably had something else. If anything, the point of Gojo, Kashimo, and the rest to follow is to forcibly empty out Sukuna's bag of tricks until Yuta/Yuji can do their ace in the hole. Sukuna currently does not have Mahoraga, Nue, or his domain; Kashimo just needs to be stronger than Cleave and Dismantle to exhaust Sukuna further.

Whether or not this ace would have actually helped him overcome limitless is to be seen. It could be argued that he was fine losing pretty much all of the 10 Shadow so long as his own techniques could remain hidden. But by that same token, he has been dead set on doing something with Megumi since they met and I can't think of any other reason besides preparing the perfect counter to Gojo using the natural enemy of the Limitless technique. If he's the kind of guy that truly only believes in his own techniques and at best Megumi was a temporary tool to expend that is the only mindset I can accept him sacrificing all those shikigami which outnumber the hypothetical two tools he has left to play. I don't think either Yorozu's gift nor the last of Sukuna's techniques would have actually won the fight and at best; if Sukuna was unable to secure Megumi's body he would have tried to retain the domain advantage and losing that probably have petered out soon enough.

We won't know until we see what he's hiding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Apocron posted:

I think the hard cut to Gojo being dead was an interesting choice but putting that hard cut between chapters rather than in the middle of a chapter was a mistake.

While I do like this chapter, I have thought a lot of the criticism is unfair but this strikes me as fair.