Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
+1 to positive reviews for Panasonic exhaust fans and Lotus LED lights, both are solid products. I especially appreciated the Panasonic install method, it made for a very easy retrofit install. Blind-feeding the fish sticks across a joist bay to the hole in the next joist was probably the hardest part.

The shower has desperately needed a light, much better now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I never thought I needed a seat in my shower but that looks great.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

devmd01 posted:

+1 to positive reviews for Panasonic exhaust fans and Lotus LED lights, both are solid products. I especially appreciated the Panasonic install method, it made for a very easy retrofit install. Blind-feeding the fish sticks across a joist bay to the hole in the next joist was probably the hardest part.

The shower has desperately needed a light, much better now.

The overhead light in the shower is key. You do need and looks like you have other light, otherwise I can be a bit harsh directly over you. It helps me wake up in the morning though to go to full brightness.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

VelociBacon posted:

I never thought I needed a seat in my shower but that looks great.

Seated showers are the best

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
does a shower fan have to vent to outside? I have a bathroom that has an alcove thing above the shower, and there's a fan that goes into it from the shower, but it doesn't go anywhere but into the alcove and that's it. also the fan/light that's there is from the 70s it looks like.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It does if you don't want to continually blast your framing, insulation, and backside of your drywall with water.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
That seems like a great way to have a mold infested alcove, but if it's even working since the 70s then it's probably your choice on 'fixing' it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

So speaking of bathroom fans, how quickly should they vent the bathroom? We run ours for like an hour after a shower, but after my wife's done (she likes hot showers) there's still maybe half the moisture left after an hour.

It definitely spins and is sized right according to what I can find on google, but maybe something is blocked in the tube that goes outside?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Eeyo posted:

So speaking of bathroom fans, how quickly should they vent the bathroom? We run ours for like an hour after a shower, but after my wife's done (she likes hot showers) there's still maybe half the moisture left after an hour.

It definitely spins and is sized right according to what I can find on google, but maybe something is blocked in the tube that goes outside?

Is there enough air inflow to the room? If the windows are unvented and the door makes a good deal then the fan will have to work very hard to actually move air

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

distortion park posted:

If the windows are unvented

Is this a fancy way of saying "closed" or does it mean installed to modern air tight standards

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Yaaaay

Yes I know that weather can cause temporary spikes and we just had a large pressure change with a ton of rain courtesy of Ophelia which has left our crawlspace as one of the only places for the gas in the soil to get out, but hitting 4.7pCi/L still doesn't bode well for the winter.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If I ever change careers in my old age, radon remediation seems to be an industry ripe as awareness is growing.

Eeyo posted:

It shouldn't be plugged unless something is wrong, it's not like a dryer vent where crap is getting continually pushed through. We put our fans on timers and set them for 1hr. Easy peasy, and don't need to turn them off.

BonoMan posted:

Seated showers are the best
Great for shower adult activities. :ninja:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 24, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Epitope posted:

Is this a fancy way of saying "closed" or does it mean installed to modern air tight standards

Where I live they install air tight windows with trickle vents to allow some airflow in a controlled manner. Your extractor fan needs somewhere to pull air from - under the door is meant to be best but if your whole house is airtight that won't do you much good.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Another exhaust fan question - I want to add one to the garage to help clear weed smoke instead of throwing a fan in the exit door. I don’t always want to open the garage door for ten minutes to vent it especially in winter.

Dropping a fan in right above the workbench to vent out the soffit that side is trivial, that small bit of attic is accessible.

Reading lots of conflicting messages around whether it needs to have a fire damper, etc installed since it’s punching up into the attic space. I’d rather not spend $400+ for a fan with one given the intended use case.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

setup a drum with a bunch of dryer sheets to exhale into

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

setup a drum with a bunch of dryer sheets to exhale into

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

There’s a whole subforum that can help, word on the street is a cardboard paper towel tube is perfect for this. Or, you can use that as a pre-treatment device for the smoke prior to hitting that drum setup. Though, you might consider vaping too as it’s better for your lungs probably long term, I worry for your lungs. Idk though I still might smoke real smoke if I had a garage space of my own.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 24, 2023

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

distortion park posted:

Is there enough air inflow to the room? If the windows are unvented and the door makes a good deal then the fan will have to work very hard to actually move air

Yeah there's a 1/2" gap below the door.

One other thing I considered, the fan is on the same side of the bathroom as the door. Maybe that's the problem? Like you walk into the bathroom and the vent is directly above, maybe a couple feet into the bathroom.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Shop vac and HEPA filter?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Eeyo posted:

I would say faster than that! For $35 you can get a humidity controlled switch for the bath fan. I just installed one, I was going to use a timer switch but I like this for peace of mind. Push the button on and it will run for 20 minutes. If humidity is above the set point (30,50, or 80%) after that, it goes for another 20, then 10 after that. It also auto starts if you neglect to turn it on. This is a very small bathroom and in a dry climate in Colorado so it shuts off the first time. Current humidity is 12%.

Check that you have adequate replacement air, or leave the door cracked. Find the outlet and confirm it's blowing. If it's not check the connections between if you can.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I've got this mostly useless bit of fencing next to my garage and I'm wondering if it's possible to turn it into a gate so I could store trash bins or whatever along the garage and not have to walk all the way around it to access them:

Would I be able to unbolt this section of fence from the posts and mount it on some kind of hinges (assuming I can dig it out of the ground and raise it up a bit or shorten it altogether)? If so, what kind? Or am I better off removing this bit and building a tiny gate out of wood?

There is no fence on the other side of the garage so I don't even know why this stubby bit exists. Also yeah the weeds are out of control, but that's going to be a 2024 problem.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
If you really don't care about the fence existing at all, you could just remove the top bar and the wire mesh and leave it open :pseudo:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
A hinged door is going to be awfully small there but yeah you can do whatever makes you happy. I would just remove it if you don't care. The hinges will take up some of the horizontal space there which will make it awfully small.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is this a good thread to ask about buying and/or constructing an outdoor storage shed?

I'm in the market for a large shed (preferably bigger than 100 sq ft) and I have a lot of questions.

No, I won't be doing any of the designing or building myself. I will hire professionals to do everything, and that is, in fact, one of the things I'd like to ask questions about.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Kylaer posted:

If you really don't care about the fence existing at all, you could just remove the top bar and the wire mesh and leave it open :pseudo:

Yeah I thought about that too but being able to close it sometimes might be nice sometimes. Idk. Having a tiny gate still seems nice I'm just not sure what hardware I'd need.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
You seem really on the fence about this.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jenkl posted:

You seem really on the fence about this.

:golfclap:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You should take the fence out and then build out a perfect extension of that wall with siding. Go to great lengths to hide any seams and shroud any hinges. It needs to look like the wall just extends all the way to the end. There, now you have a secret compartment with a hinged fake wall. Now you can keep small- to mid-size illegal things in there.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sirotan posted:

Yeah I thought about that too but being able to close it sometimes might be nice sometimes. Idk. Having a tiny gate still seems nice I'm just not sure what hardware I'd need.
You could certainly do it. I imagine any chain link fence supplier would have the necessary hinges and latches and bits and bobs, though you might to just as well to go to that same fence supplier and say 'hey i need a 2' wide x 3' tall gate this is what my fence looks like' and have a real gate and I doubt it would cost much.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Inner Light posted:

There’s a whole subforum that can help, word on the street is a cardboard paper towel tube is perfect for this. Or, you can use that as a pre-treatment device for the smoke prior to hitting that drum setup. Though, you might consider vaping too as it’s better for your lungs probably long term, I worry for your lungs. Idk though I still might smoke real smoke if I had a garage space of my own.

Even buying an expensive vape is probably cheaper than setting up the venting situation.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Not sure exactly what tank cleaning product Gary was putting in here but id hate to run into any of the germs that survived it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I'll take undiluted CLR for $100 please.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I was thinking bleach. I used one of those bleach toilet pucks once to clear out some pink slime and it deteriorated the rubber noticeably over its short life.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I am new babby homeowner, so I apologize if this is some basic poo poo: we were setting up the entertainment center, and when I went to plug in the power strip, the outlet, like, flexed inward. So I shut off the power to it (eventually; we have four separate panels labeled with such helpful things as "plugs") and pulled the cover off, and it looks like the anchor(?) for the lower screw in the outlet is stripped; the screw looks okay, but I can't get it to grip in the hole it's going into, so it is just popped out loose.

Pictures of what I mean:

You can see the bottom of the outlet cover poking out slightly, and the outlets themselves pushed out from the cover.

This is the outlet with both screws removed, the hole up top seems fine.

The hole in question.

Close up of the hole.

Is there anything I can do about this short of calling an electrician? It doesn't seem dangerous or anything, I just don't like knowing it's there. Do I need to let it go?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I don't know about certified hole filling/screwing options short of replacing the blue box so I'll let others comment on that.

I do want to point out that your ground wire (the green screw wire) is about to fall off so you should properly attach that wire after verifying no power to the circuit.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

you can replace the junction box if you want to do it correctly or if you want to be super lazy, shove a drywall anchor in that stripped hole and that’ll “fix” it

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

right arm posted:

you can replace the junction box if you want to do it correctly or if you want to be super lazy, shove a drywall anchor in that stripped hole and that’ll “fix” it

Or just a larger screw, it's biting into plastic anyways just make sure it's not coming out the other end.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ham Equity posted:

I am new babby homeowner, so I apologize if this is some basic poo poo:

Is there anything I can do about this short of calling an electrician? It doesn't seem dangerous or anything, I just don't like knowing it's there. Do I need to let it go?

This is a great question by the way. Personally I would be tempted to pretend I didn't notice it. :v: Just never unplug your power strip and it won't ever matter. Use a right-angle one so it sits more flush to the wall.

We have some "trade specific" threads if you want more in-depth answers, and while there is a lot of overlap in posters, the electrical thread in particular has a bunch of electricians in it who I don't see trolling the rest as often.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090739

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Jam some epoxy in there or jb weld and screw it in while it's soft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

This is a great question by the way. Personally I would be tempted to pretend I didn't notice it. :v: Just never unplug your power strip and it won't ever matter. Use a right-angle one so it sits more flush to the wall.

We have some "trade specific" threads if you want more in-depth answers, and while there is a lot of overlap in posters, the electrical thread in particular has a bunch of electricians in it who I don't see trolling the rest as often.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090739

I am very tempted by the siren call of "just pretend it's not there, it's behind the entertainment center, anyway." But I also want to learn to do some of this poo poo on my own, and this is an area that isn't going to be very visible when I'm done, so if I gently caress it up, it's not a big deal, and it'll teach me better for next time, so I'm gonna take a run at replacing the junction box.