Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
There's no time limit on story progress, no. I spent an inordinate amount of time leveling up and researching before even recruiting Spider-Man, so he was probably running away from Venom for like a month. There is no game over or fail state from not progressing the story.

There are some time limits to smaller objectives, like the social missions you'll unlock from folks in the Abbey will often have a "within x days" requirement. I'm pretty sure you can only have one of those missions at a time, though, so I think the time limit there is more to prevent you getting screwed by RNG if it's like "hang out with this guy" but that hangout simply never pops up.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Tom Tucker posted:

Also don’t bring the hunter on every mission or things will get super boring.

The problem with that is, you *really* need to milk those "doing missions together" friendship points.
But there's a mod for that.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Kobal2 posted:

The problem with that is, you *really* need to milk those "doing missions together" friendship points.
But there's a mod for that.

Taking Hunter on missions is also kind of essential to get them to max light/dark in anything like a timely fashion.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I hope somebody lifts the system from Midnight Suns: I think it might be the best shot at allowing players to "create" a hero, by replacing the "lots of cards, pick some" approach of the current game for Hunter with a system where you pick characteristics for your hero and get access to specific cards based on the choices. A few "generic" cards might pick up abilities based on what you picked: that attack card might add Knockback and +1 redraw if you went tech-focused, or extra damage against an enemy targeting you if you went bruiser, or bleed and marked if you went arcane, or heal a random ally if you went support.

Turning the system from "earn choice between random cards" to something more specific would make certain choices matter more, too. You'd just have to do the work to ensure all builds are viable.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I picked this up from the library and plan to delve into it this weekend, but I noticed the DLC (which I often buy for library games) is $50.

Worth it?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Fate Accomplice posted:

I picked this up from the library and plan to delve into it this weekend, but I noticed the DLC (which I often buy for library games) is $50.

Worth it?

The DLC is “worth it” if you’re able to get the Legendary Edition on a discount somewhere but by itself, I don’t think it’s worth $50 and that’s coming from someone with a couple hundred hours in the game who absolutely adored it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Fate Accomplice posted:

Worth it?

Play the game without it for a while, and decide later. Even without the DLC there’s a ton of content, I enjoyed it a lot, but by the end I was pretty much done with it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
PS5 legendary edition once again 60% off, and once again not a sniff of a decent discount on the season pass alone for those of us bought the base game only.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm late to the party on this but I'm 15 hours in and loving it. Three things I wanted to talk about.

1) Ok as somebody who briefly followed the X-Men comics around 93-94 the idea of Colossus's little sister being an adult emo witch is mindblowing. (At the time Illyana was a precocious child who died from a horrible mutant disease).
2) I tried a hard mission once. I got loving destroyed.
3) The amount of mats cauldron recipes take relative to the amount of amount of materials available makes the cauldron seem a little un-useful.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, the sequence of events for Illyana went Adorable Child > Shuffled off to Limbo, grew up there > came back > was turned *back* into a child (demon magic and timey wimey bullshit) > died of the Legacy Virus > rezzed by demon without her soul/aged up again > got soul back but was still emo as gently caress

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Also the action economy just kills me in this game.
3 actions when you have like 7 enemies on the field feels so constraining even with stuff like Marked/Quick and environmental damage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Illyana is a strong contender for "worst life in the X-Men" and that's a loving competition.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

Illyana is a strong contender for "worst life in the X-Men" and that's a loving competition.

This admittedly was why she was the only character I'd actually reload saves for if she didn't like what I did.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

feels like I've been waiting a long while for the DLC to finally get discounted but it never seems to. Figured since game is dead along with Fireaxis why not put everything at 50% off already, each character still costing $15 is ridiculous.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

ImpAtom posted:

She's a warlock AND a mutant. Double-dipping on the tragic backstory sauce.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

DLC Inc posted:

feels like I've been waiting a long while for the DLC to finally get discounted but it never seems to. Figured since game is dead along with Fireaxis why not put everything at 50% off already, each character still costing $15 is ridiculous.

It just doesn't happen. The full game + DLC regularly gets a 60% off price, but the season pass alone seems to get the occasional 25% off at most. It's frustrating as hell.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ChrisBTY posted:

3 actions when you have like 7 enemies on the field feels so constraining even with stuff like Marked/Quick and environmental damage.

That's what makes it so satisfying when you pull off the two-turn clear. Or even better, the one-turn

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ChrisBTY posted:

She's a warlock AND a mutant. Double-dipping on the tragic backstory sauce.

And TWO tragic childhoods!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, the sequence of events for Illyana went Adorable Child > Shuffled off to Limbo, grew up there > came back > was turned *back* into a child (demon magic and timey wimey bullshit) > died of the Legacy Virus > rezzed by demon without her soul/aged up again > got soul back but was still emo as gently caress

Wait, 'dying from the legacy virus' was her second childhood?!?
As far as the story goes I just beat the first(?) Stark Tower mission and The game handed me a telegraph that practically spelled out 'you embraced Lilith at the 12th hour and Caretaker killed you both. Which you know what? Fair

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 26, 2023

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

ChrisBTY posted:

It really gets quite a bit better once you have access to more heroes/cards/training room upgrades.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ChrisBTY posted:

Wait, 'dying from the legacy virus' was her second childhood?!?

Yup! This is after she allowed herself to be turned into a full demon so she could eventually stop Inferno, which was basically demons raining down on Manhattan.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Season Pass which includes all costumes/content is on sale for the Xbox at around $35, cheapest I think it has ever been. Considering all 4 dlc packs cost 15 each, pretty decent sale.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

It's on sale for the same price on PSN where I just picked it up, presumably it's the same on Steam right now.

Is there a way to make the characters talk less in combat? I saw a 'KO Voice Frequency' in the options but futzing with it didn't seem to change much. Some of these quips are dire and I'm not one to normally complain about this type of stuff. Dr. Strange had one that was basically one step removed from the infamous, "Well that just happened."

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
What's it like playing this game with a He-Hunter? With all of the mother stuff including three separate maternal figures (Lilith, Caretaker and Agatha), all I can imagine is the Hunter as this dainty little mothers boy.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I dunno, I played a lady hunter, and the vibes were still pretty weird.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Fellas is it gay to have three mums?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yes, it is gay. Gay and awesome.

Edit: kinda getting an itch to play this again. The base mechanics are just so satisfying. Someone needs to make a difficulty mod.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

When a turn in this game clicks it just really clicks. When sand gets in your gears it also works but it’s super frustrating at the same time.

The big problem for me with difficulty is when you get up to the higher tiers getting downed in combat is a question of when rather than if. The game doesn’t benefit from trying to min/max how many enemies will attack the guy who is going to get downed anyway to skip attacks. On medium or lower difficulties a good tank with taunt skills can get a ton of block and then weather a massive amount of inbound damage while on higher difficulties taunt only exists for the turn when you strategically use it to make sure only one character goes down and 3-4 enemy attacks are wasted.

Or maybe I’m bad at higher difficulties. It feels somehow appropriate when it’s Wolverine doing it as he has an extra revive mechanic but with the other tanks it just feels kinda bad.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

When starting out it’s possible to crank the difficulty beyond what your card quality can can handle, but the player’s power curve catches up and eventually goes vertical. You can reach a point where any team can screen clear on turn 1 or 2 even at the highest difficulty.

Like with any other TBS game, always look for stuff that breaks the action economy.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Beartaco posted:

What's it like playing this game with a He-Hunter? With all of the mother stuff including three separate maternal figures (Lilith, Caretaker and Agatha), all I can imagine is the Hunter as this dainty little mothers boy.

i didnt notice because i was too busy being gay af and making GBS threads all over caretaker

let's be honest nobody gives a gently caress about agatha

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

i didnt notice because i was too busy being gay af and making GBS threads all over caretaker

let's be honest nobody gives a gently caress about agatha

Maybe it's because I remember when she was Franklin Richard's first nanny, but I like Agatha.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
been a while since I played, might do a second DLC playthrough. How are Deadpool, Storm, Venom and Morbius as teammates?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Deadpool and Morb are kinda meh, Storm is good, Venom is top tier once you unlock his ult.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Deadpool is great for trash enemies as he has a quick card that lets you shoot a second enemy if the first dies.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Quote-Unquote posted:

Deadpool is great for trash enemies as he has a quick card that lets you shoot a second enemy if the first dies.

Yeah I liked Deadpool but his gimmick is a bit counter-intuitive, he gets bonuses for not being hit but also has health regen, which makes him less good than characters whose gimmicks are more synergistic.

His quick card is good for sure, though. He just doesn't stand out much compared to others in the roster.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Quote-Unquote posted:

It's pretty good starting out, but later in the game, it sucks cause it can't roll +2 Draw on KO, which is the best mod for Quick attacks.

bobtheconqueror posted:

His quick card is good for sure, though. He just doesn't stand out much compared to others in the roster.

All of the DLC heroes have baked-in ramp effects, I assume in an attempt to control some of the absurd frontload other heroes achieve. For Venom, his Ult is so good that it doesn't matter, and Storm's overall card quality is good enough to ignore the Next Turn handicap. But Morb and Deadpool both need time to get rolling and be useful, which makes them kinda poo in a game where the goal is to kill everything in one turn. They start okay but scale down over time.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 11, 2023

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Quote-Unquote posted:

Deadpool is pretty good, but he's possibly the most "needs constant babysitting" of all the "needs babysitting" characters. Like, if you can constantly feed him kills AND make sure nobody ever looks at him sideways AND also let him eat up heroism for his damage spikes on actual enemies, he works fine.

If your team wants to be doing something other than "carry Deadpool 100%", however...

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Kobal2 posted:

Deadpool is pretty good, but he's possibly the most "needs constant babysitting" of all the "needs babysitting" characters. Like, if you can constantly feed him kills AND make sure nobody ever looks at him sideways AND also let him eat up heroism for his damage spikes on actual enemies, he works fine.

If your team wants to be doing something other than "carry Deadpool 100%", however...

This feels very accurate to the character of Deadpool.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

After getting the game at its launch and not really having the time to play it, I had a cold this last week and finally sat down with it.
What a joyous ride this game was - and also very fun to screenshot. They did a great job with the visuals in the cinematics for being a tactical game rather than third-person!

My one gripe is that even towards the end of the game I just never clicked with certain heroes - the "Taunt and get Block" heroes such as Captain America, Marvel and Wolverine or the "Use environmentals" Spider-Man all felt like they were intended for another kind of game.
Why take a punch when you can "knock out" the puncher. :shobon:

I did like the Abbey exploration stuff, but as someone above mentioned they *really* needed to have some sort of "Oh you've discovered all the collectibles in this area - here, have a Harvest All button!". Getting stuck on minor ledges when trying to find reagents got annoying real fast. Oh, and the Ancestral Suit unlock is bugged in the current PC version (opening the chest didn't reward it), but luckily a mod resolved it.

Overall, very happy with the game - I'll probably revisit it in a new game once the season pass goes down in price.

[Slightly late-game spoiler]

Yeah you tell 'em Nico! Why does Eric get to be happy with Carol but not the Hunter with Wanda! Boo, where was my Hunter romance!

They must've known people wanted this, right? RIGHT?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Lamquin posted:

My one gripe is that even towards the end of the game I just never clicked with certain heroes - the "Taunt and get Block" heroes such as Captain America, Marvel and Wolverine or the "Use environmentals" Spider-Man all felt like they were intended for another kind of game.

The Nu-XCOMs have the same issue, and really, so do most TBS games in general. Curbing alpha strikes is one of the Gordian knots of the genre. Deleting someone from the timeline is so powerful that nearly every game of this type favors frontloading damage as much as possible.