Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Between the spice and the piss drinking this is getting very Fremen

Hang on, just had an idea for a spice bathroom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

The surveys are in:
"An interesting form of construction!"
"Clearly non-compliant and just bad building practice."
"This form of construction does not meet any current building standards,"

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Australia?

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
frank lloyd wright they're not

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

GotLag posted:

Australia?

you know it

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1122741501458399272/1156196618547249182/nut.mp4

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Just once, I wanna see a video where someone lights a cigarette or toasts a marshmallow over the spicy bolt.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

wheatpuppy posted:

Just once, I wanna see a video where someone lights a cigarette or toasts a marshmallow over the spicy bolt.

https://i.imgur.com/ASBD2SL.gifv

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 26, 2023

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

canyoneer posted:

Crackhead construction: Man Called Fran

IIIII.... may be using that smoke bomb trick.
The smell is localized to the main bathroom, and I'm pretty sure that the vent stack in the wall behind the toilet is cracked (cast-iron, and literally the only bit of original waste plumbing left in the house since earlier this year - that was expensive, BTW) but that would help confirm it.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Uhh, I think they forgot something

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

It just takes some time to let that sink in.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Don't need a sink in the spice kitchen, just a place to create insane fumes and a nearby position of half cover which will offer a +2 bonus to your Armor Class and Dexterity saving throws against attacks and spells that originate from elsewhere in the kitchen.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dang they found the 0.4%.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

VelociBacon posted:

Don't need a sink in the spice kitchen, just a place to create insane fumes and a nearby position of half cover which will offer a +2 bonus to your Armor Class and Dexterity saving throws against attacks and spells that originate from elsewhere in the kitchen.

You have to be careful though: put too much chilli in and you'll accidentally cast cloudkill.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Is the dishwasher just for show, or are there water and drain connections in the cabinet next to it?

Like I get it, they can check the box in the listing for a dishwasher. It is probably even in working order. But nowhere does it state that it has to be useful.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Orvin posted:

Like I get it, they can check the box in the listing for a dishwasher. It is probably even in working order. But nowhere does it state that it has to be useful.

This reminds me of a house my friend looked at. Cabinets along the wall with the stove and sink in them. Then, a "bar" sticking out at 90° from the wall between the kitchen and dining room. The dishwasher was in that area. There was no electricity or water hook ups there. To use the dishwasher, well, it was on wheels, got pulled out into the middle of the room, hook the water up to the sink faucet, put a tube into the sink to deain into, plug an extension cord into the wall socket.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Based on the overhead cabinets, it looks like they planned for a sink next to the dishwasher. I'm also guessing those are laminate countertops and they just haven't cut in and installed the sink yet.

Or, they forgot plumbing.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Based on the overhead cabinets, it looks like they planned for a sink next to the dishwasher. I'm also guessing those are laminate countertops and they just haven't cut in and installed the sink yet.

Or, they forgot plumbing.

That does make sense. My guess is the countertop place didn’t bother to cut out a hole for the sink. Pick your reason why. And the contractors couldn’t be bothered to do anything about it, so the countertop just got installed as is. Contract work complete, time to go home.

That’s not to say a hole couldn’t be cut and sink installed, but that is probably one of those jobs that is not worth the time of any reasonable contractor to even come out and give a quote. So the owner is either getting blown off, or $stupid to get it done.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

When I had my countertops replaced at my old condo they installed the countertop and then cut the hole and then put the sink in.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

This was buried in dumb oil talk, and doesn't deserve it. That is some fantastic writing.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

canyoneer posted:

Closed cracks along the lateral of the pipe are common in cast iron. I typically see them in the vertical runs, where they will eventually widen enough to let out some water during a flush, and stain the adjacent ceiling or wall, which alerts the owner to the problem (and yes, they'll usually report years of ghost poo poo smells). They typically are not visible to a sewer camera because they are closed, and there's usually accumulated debris, moss, growth etc on the inside of the pipe. It needs to be back-lit to be visible, which is impossible inside a wall or floor space.

Using smoke or dye packs is common enough that I'm a bit surprised that some of these plumbers never heard if it; then again, we have plumbers who have worked their trade 30-40-years who rarely see or do old homes or handle any drain line material besides PVC.

A common problem in older homes is the rusting out of the cast lateral in the basement at the tidal line on the pipe (about 1/3 the way up from the bottom); water washes over it during a flush, then recedes, and it'll rust there. Depending on the age and condition of the cast, this can happen in 40-years but usually in lines closing in on a century.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

This was buried in dumb oil talk, and doesn't deserve it. That is some fantastic writing.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 27, 2023

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

PainterofCrap posted:

Closed cracks along the lateral of the pipe are common in cast iron. I typically see them in the vertical runs, where they will eventually widen enough to let out some water during a flush, and stain the adjacent ceiling or wall, which alerts the owner to the problem (and yes, they'll usually report years of ghost poo poo smells). They typically are not visible to a sewer camera because they are closed, and there's usually accumulated debris, moss, growth etc on the inside of the pipe. It needs to be back-lit to be visible, which is impossible inside a wall or floor space.

Using smoke or dye packs is common enough that I'm a bit surprised that some of these plumbers never heard if it; then again, we have plumbers who have worked their trade 30-40-years who rarely see or do old homes or handle any drain line material besides PVC.

A common problem in older homes is the rusting out of the cast lateral in the basement at the tidal line on the pipe (about 1/3 the way up from the bottom); water washes over it during a flush, then recedes, and it'll rust there. Depending on the age and condition of the cast, this can happen in 40-years but usually in lines closing in on a century.

Hm this is slightly concerning as I'd thought about replacing the vertical runs in some of my pipes with cast iron to ameliorate noise. Do you have any experience with epoxy-lined pipes, as in the ones that are lined from the factory, not lined in place as a repair? Wondering if that solves the crack issues.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I got a crack in my cast iron vent stack. Thankfully it was the pipe in the unfinished basement right next to a floor drain, so no damage, and relatively easy to fix. And good thing, because we discovered it right as we started buying the house (we were renting and living in it already) and weren't going to pay to fix it until we actually owned the house. We got an insane quite from a regional plumbing company that wanted to repipe the whole house for like $20k, and also a perfectly reasonable quote from a local company where he knew exactly what the problem was and what it would take to fix it, so that was less than $2000 to fix.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Hm this is slightly concerning as I'd thought about replacing the vertical runs in some of my pipes with cast iron to ameliorate noise. Do you have any experience with epoxy-lined pipes, as in the ones that are lined from the factory, not lined in place as a repair? Wondering if that solves the crack issues.

You will be dust in the wind by the time any cast that you install starts to corrode or crack.

Some of the cast in my home dated to its construction in 1930. I wound up removing that section in 2011 & replaced it with PVC, but not because it failed in any way.

Most of what remains was installed around 1964 when my neighborhood got municipal water & sewer laid. I tied it to the PVC I installed with Ferncos.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

PainterofCrap posted:

You will be dust in the wind by the time any cast that you install starts to corrode or crack.

Some of the cast in my home dated to its construction in 1930. I wound up removing that section in 2011 & replaced it with PVC, but not because it failed in any way.

Most of what remains was installed around 1964 when my neighborhood got municipal water & sewer laid. I tied it to the PVC I installed with Ferncos.

I beg to disagree, I absolutely plan to be a pile of goo and bones buried beneath the kitchen floor for future excavations to find. Dust in the wind, pshaw.

(thanks for the advice though, makes me much less concerned).

Also I thought ABS was best for DWV? Is PVC preferable?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

If you're pulling a permit check with your municipality to see if they stipulate one over the other. It makes no sense to require it, but when in Rome

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

PainterofCrap posted:

I had a cast iron elbow crack at the joint below my only crapper, then on top of that discovered that the back side of my toilet base disintegrated when I tried to take it off the flange. That was a fun few days.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Mine was dealing with rotted subfloor under the toilet,and chucking this

was easier than trying to repair it. And yes, those are lead drain lines for the sink & tub.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
How do you get in? And out?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

PainterofCrap posted:

Every piece of loving cast iron rusted, cracked, and crumbled under my house. 1964 build, so 59 years. However, solid foundation and the finest of North Texas clay. And the one remaining piece that wasn't replaced, the vent stack, also appears to be cracked...

hold, on, there's something not quite right here...

edit:

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

How do you get in? And out?

There it is!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

That toilet paper is going to get wet!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

AI?

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

No, it's from a set of actual house photos.
https://theoldhouselife.com/2023/09/28/from-tobacco-barn-to-tiny-home-20-acres-in-north-carolina-230000/
Although house is a strong word in the circumstances.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Cross posting.

First time wearing a half/full face respirator for 5-6 hours in a warm, dusty environment. What's the best way to keep my skin from peeling off from the sweat and friction? Paper mask, bandana, or balaclava?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

imo soft, fat thermoplastics are the real way to give you longer endurance without chafing on your skin

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
That shower rules though. Has a cool place to sit down and have a tall boy in the middle of your marathon bathing sesh.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

They just haven't installed the pneumatic tube for access yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Darchangel posted:

Every piece of loving cast iron rusted, cracked, and crumbled under my house. 1964 build, so 59 years. However, solid foundation and the finest of North Texas clay. And the one remaining piece that wasn't replaced, the vent stack, also appears to be cracked...

My house here in the PNW was built in 1947 and all the cast looks fine apart from build up on the inside of the pipes, I am guessing that I won't have to replace any of it in the near future unless I am re-plumbing something.