Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bisse posted:

Agreed, Doffy is a much worse person and deserved to get punched much harder.

i mean the king kong gun is as hard as you can get punched until you have the bajrang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
all birdcage needed was some like foreshadowing on how like really strong people cant break it because its so well prepared and like "because its my awakened fruit i dont have to actually pay attention to it anymore"

the haki thing just needed an "about 10 minutes to regain my temperament" rather than a literal "haki recharging" thing rather than a specific number and then maybe even draw it out a little longer

really it just came down to oda didnt make good in-world reasons why it should have worked

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Waffleman_ posted:

Speaking of Buggy, I hope OPLA manages to sneak him in more of season 2 than just Loguetown

Having seen that actor in something else I was really surprised how good he was as buggy

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

anime was right posted:

really it just came down to oda didnt make good in-world reasons why it should have worked

Pretty much this, like we literally saw Zoro jut apart a man the literal size of a mountain like hot butter while proudly declaring there was nothing he couldn’t cut. Just make it so that the birdcage rapidly assimilates anything nearby after being cut, bam, now it makes sense why everyone’s pushing it.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Something I miss about Zoro is that he was a lot cheekier and more playful pre-timeskip.

Like when he's teasing Usopp's followers.

Or during the Whiskey Peak fight, which I think is one of his best moments. Honestly the whole Zoro vs Whiskey Peak fight did a lot to showcase both his playful side and his bloodthirsty side, but also that he's not as dumb as the rest of the crew makes him out to be. Also how he's pretty caring to his crew - he decides to solo the bounty hunters himself cause he knows the rest of the crew is pretty tired from their journey (which is actually more true than Zoro himself knows, cause the rest of the crew was desperately trying to keep the boat from sinking on the Grand Line while he was napping).

You’d be a lot less playful after basically dying 3x times too

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Waffleman_ posted:

It's still pretty funny that Robin probably knew the entire time that Pluton was in Wano and not Alabasta

It makes me wonder if the reason Crocodile went looking for the Pluton in Alabaster was because he found out about Nefertari D Lili going against the Celestial Dragons.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

The birdcage makes little sense as a legit power, and it capped off a very long arc. I love Doflamingo and Dressrosa despite the (many) flaws. Probably behind Water 7 and Summit War as my favorite sagas.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waffleman_ posted:

It's still pretty funny that Robin probably knew the entire time that Pluton was in Wano and not Alabasta

She did know, it was literally written on the poneglyph that she read to crocodile at the end of the Alabasta arc that it was in Wano.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Julias posted:

She did know, it was literally written on the poneglyph that she read to crocodile at the end of the Alabasta arc that it was in Wano.

That's what I said.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Finally finished the OPLA. It's good! The costume design was spot on, and the actors nailed Luffy, Garp and Buggy's characters. I watched it with my gf who never saw any OP before and she thought it was great. I think they did a great job condensing ~90 chapters into under 8 hours of TV. I have a few gripes but that's mainly me nerding out on the fine details (spoilers just in case):

- They had the money to build the Going Merry AND the Baratie but they couldn't get a lion tamer on set for Mohji?!

- Usopp got done dirty in Arlong Park. They didn't really show that Chuu was one of Arlong's strongest fighters so it felt like Usopp was just wasting time in the woods against one mook.

- I'm not a big fan of how Nami's village didn't know anything about the 100M berry deal. That was such a huge part of Nami's "Help me Luffy" scene where they thanked her for trying and told her to run away as they marched to their deaths.

- Extremely picky one but during Zoro vs the Meowban brothers siblings they show Sham stealing his swords but they don't mention the significance of it. When he gets them back they're supposed to snark at Zoro saying 'he's a weakling, what's two more swords going to change?" THERE'S A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN USING 3 SWORDS AND FOLLOWING THE 3 SWORD TECHNIQUE! I really liked that line when I first read it as a kid; can't believe they cut it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sub Harrison posted:

- Usopp got done dirty in Arlong Park. They didn't really show that Chuu was one of Arlong's strongest fighters so it felt like Usopp was just wasting time in the woods against one mook.

i dont think this was as big of a deal because you see chuu with arlong basically 24/7 along with whats his name that sanji beats but gives both zoro and him trouble. i think its fair to say that chuu is implied to be strong and thats enough. a throwaway line would have helped but thats a small gripe. im more annoyed that they didnt have usopp confront his cowardice and that because chuu is strong he needs to defeat him instead of running or whatever. 20 seconds and a single line would have made such a huge difference, especially since usopp didnt really do much for the entire season

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Manga: Doesn't having an elder nearby mean that he can override any of the commands given by Vegapunk and/or any existing commands from the elder cannot be overridden by Vegapunk

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Flair posted:

Manga: Doesn't having an elder nearby mean that he can override any of the commands given by Vegapunk and/or any existing commands from the elder cannot be overridden by Vegapunk

Yes, but the Vegapunks don't know about Saturn being present.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Yes, but the Vegapunks don't know about Saturn being present.
Almost no one except Kizaru and a few selected Marines know about him being present yet. That's going to be the interesting part here: Saturn can absolutely override it (and probably will, after all that set-up), but not without revealing his presence to at least everyone who knows about the Pacifistas' command hierarchy.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Carpator Diei posted:

Almost no one except Kizaru and a few selected Marines know about him being present yet. That's going to be the interesting part here: Saturn can absolutely override it (and probably will, after all that set-up), but not without revealing his presence to at least everyone who knows about the Pacifistas' command hierarchy.

IIRC isn’t some of Blackbeard’s crew hanging around nearby? If they find out an elder star is hanging around they’re definitely gonna make a move on him

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I still suspect the "shocking incident" will involve an attack on Saturn. If the Blackbeard pirates do it under the guise of Luffy it would play into his history of attacking world nobles

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah I still suspect the "shocking incident" will involve an attack on Saturn. If the Blackbeard pirates do it under the guise of Luffy it would play into his history of attacking world nobles

One of the BB pirates currently unaccounted for can change their appearance too...

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

RatHat posted:

One of the BB pirates currently unaccounted for can change their appearance too...

Big News Morgan snaps a picture of "Saturn" passed out in sweat pants next to a liter of Baja Blast and a 20 pack of Taco Bell tacos in an alley. World govt. in shambles.

MisterDuck
Feb 27, 2013
Is it possible that Blackbeard has an authority chip to control the seraphim? In 1059 koby is giving orders to the seraphim and then gets taken hostage by the Blackbeard pirates. They’d have to get rid of all the punks and Saturn though which could be part of the “egghead incident.”

I also like that in the most recent chapter the straw hats have all of vegapunks luggage on the sunny already so even if he doesn’t make it off the island Franky can still play with all his inventions.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
one of the blackbeard pirates pulling out an authority chip they stole from koby would be a cool surprise but probably not going to happen now that the conflict over pacifista control here is set up to be vegapunk vs. saturn. maybe one of the blackbeard pirates will try when they show up as a gag basically?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm not going to rest until Luffy punches one of the five presidents of the world

Punch Cherry Garcia, Luffy

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I just realized Imu is currently the literal shadow government :doh:

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

The real Deep State is Fishman Island

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Enel faked the moon landing

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Scholtz posted:

I just realized Imu is currently the literal shadow government :doh:

Straw Hat Pirate Berry Gang

~We love gum-gum pistol~

Legalize Pluton

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

God Skypeia just goes on and on

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Man, if they get to season 3 in the live action Skypia is going to be crazy good if they tighten it up. It's a really fun story, but it does meander at times.

The worst thing about a live action season 3 Skypia is that Netflix will cancel the show at that point, regardless of how well received it is, and we'll forever be waiting on the cusp of Water 7 Long Ring Long Land.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Netflix payment structure is a show getting cancelled after 2 seasons because thats when people can earn real money so it needs to be absolutely massively popular considering the production costs as well

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Jose posted:

Netflix payment structure is a show getting cancelled after 2 seasons because thats when people can earn real money so it needs to be absolutely massively popular considering the production costs as well

I remember feeling like Skypeia lagged, but it is incredibly rewarding on a re-read given the number of seeds planted that are only just sprouting up now.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Jose posted:

If it gets to the timeskip, and if Netflix actually sees value in the property, I could easily see them re-launching the show as "One Piece: The New World" to capitalize on that lovely contract pay structure to say it's a new show.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I dunno, depending on what the WGA and SAG deals end up hashing out, we'll see if they can pull that

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i think the wga strike will basically be over if things are trending the way they are, so work will probably resume soon

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i think one of the few things that the show might improve from the comic is the clear passage of time due to the aging of the actors
edit: howmstever, i expect them to be absolutely hosed when they have to cast for flashbacks like after marineford or lmfao the wano roger flashback

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 26, 2023

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I remember feeling like Skypeia lagged, but it is incredibly rewarding on a re-read given the number of seeds planted that are only just sprouting up now.

Here is my question regarding rereads. I’m all caught up via the manga. If I go through the story again via the anime would I be missing a lot of these ‘seeds’?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Here is my question regarding rereads. I’m all caught up via the manga. If I go through the story again via the anime would I be missing a lot of these ‘seeds’?
The anime is a very faithful adaptation (with filler arcs added). You won't be missing out on much.

The voices and music actually add a lot to the story. It's definitely worth watching to reexperience the story.

The pace... isn't always the best. You might want to track down the One Pace fan edit. It's pretty solid and brings things more in line with the manga. I haven't watched anything post timeskip any other way, myself.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

anime was right posted:

i think the wga strike will basically be over if things are trending the way they are, so work will probably resume soon

WGA's not going back to work until SAG gets a deal too, so they'll be back pretty soon as well

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

narratively, watching the anime is like reading the manga in super slow motion. so you actually get more time to notice the little foreshadowing moments because it lingers on them for hundreds of frames

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Probably not, but I haven't seen the anime. When I'm talking about seeds, a lot of that is stuff that just comes into sharper focus when you know what's coming:
- Ussop's continual interactions with giants and how much he brings up visiting Elbaf
- Rayleigh using Haki to destroy the bomb collar
- One of the Revolutionary commanders is the girl Fischer Tiger saved
- Noland mentions going to an island of dwarves, probably Dressrosa

...and just generally all the inter-saga chapters where characters are first introduced. While he clearly didn't have everything masterminded from the start, there's enough little things that really click with present knowledge.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

You have to watch the anime enough to be able to properly hear things like "Gomu Gomu No..!" and "Suuuper!" and :yohoho: when you encounter them in text format.

edit: and Bink's Sake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

quote:

- One of the Revolutionary commanders is the girl Fischer Tiger saved

lmao i didnt even notice this until you mentioned