Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's kind of surprising, Koala is somewhat prominent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Arist posted:

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's something Oda has made an explicit reference to via a flashback panel yet. Definitely the same character, and she's been around for a lot of the story, but only secondary/background. That's the other joy of a re-read! You'll probably pay more attention to Marco and such.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Arist posted:

I mean, that reveal was made in the middle of Dressrossa, I don't blame anyone for blocking the details of that arc from their memory.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Now I’m wondering what other extremely obvious things OP readers have missed.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Thinking about LAOP making it to Water 7 has me hoping to hear Jacob Romero screaming "LOCK ON" with all his might.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I like dressrossa :yum:

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

bitmap posted:

I like dressrossa :yum:

Dressrosa is good but a few things stand out as unusually stupid.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Dressrosa is a land of contrasts

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Now I’m wondering what other extremely obvious things OP readers have missed.

Scholtz posted:

Yeah, how did we miss the connection of Monkey D. Luffy, the Shonen protagonist with stretchy attacks, to Sun Wukong?

Still think about this every so often.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

It was really funny when Merphy got into One Piece and fans were shocked that she deduced a bunch of the big “plot twists” way in advance by having an understanding of thematics and story structure that went beyond comic books

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cat Machine posted:

It was really funny when Merphy got into One Piece and fans were shocked that she deduced a bunch of the big “plot twists” way in advance by having an understanding of thematics and story structure that went beyond comic books

It's amazing what a smidge of media literacy can do

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm still amazed that Sabo's survival after the flashback that introduced him was ever in doubt. It was the entire point of the flashback! Ace was dead and so a different older brother figure was getting introduced ahead of time.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Tree Reformat posted:

I mean, that reveal was made in the middle of Dressrossa, I don't blame anyone for blocking the details of that arc from their memory.

I had her confused with Cami the mermaid because she was talking about fishman karate

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

Which ones?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Tree Reformat posted:

Yeah I was firmly an anime only background watching at that point, and I'm awful with names generally

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Cat Machine posted:

This is Eva, not OP, but this is maybe my favorite example of stuff like that:
https://twitter.com/biomechanicaI/status/1287908912532946947

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
it is pretty astounding how poor media literacy is among a lot of shonen fans. it makes discussion in a lot of areas completely terrible, by and large they all seem to struggle with understanding anything about what they're reading beyond viewing it as an algebra problem where the story is just telling us which cartoon is stronger than the other

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

See also: "keep politics out of my manga"

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I like it when the little guy punches the big guy. And then when that doesn't work, the little guy just punches the big guy slightly harder and wins! That's peak fiction.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Isnt this thread super guilty of that? For ten (fifteen?) years you'd be called an idiot who doesnt "get" one piece for speculating how sanji set his leg on fire, or asking why Luffy wants to be the pirate king.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Crosspeice posted:

I like it when the little guy punches the big guy. And then when that doesn't work, the little guy just punches the big guy slightly harder and wins! That's peak fiction.

It's half a step away from, "I'm going to declare its time to go faster, shift, and go much faster" in any car media.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
nanomachines are always on the table.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No Wave posted:

Isnt this thread super guilty of that? For ten (fifteen?) years you'd be called an idiot who doesnt "get" one piece for speculating how sanji set his leg on fire, or asking why Luffy wants to be the pirate king.

we knew why sanji could set his leg on fire though, it's just that depending on your point of view it was either a retcon or a lie

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

tbp posted:

it is pretty astounding how poor media literacy is among a lot of shonen fans. it makes discussion in a lot of areas completely terrible, by and large they all seem to struggle with understanding anything about what they're reading beyond viewing it as an algebra problem where the story is just telling us which cartoon is stronger than the other

I think some of that isn't misunderstanding, just people enjoying arguing about which cartoon is stronger than the other. Though there's definitely also some severe misunderstandings.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Runa posted:

It's amazing what a smidge of media literacy can do
So it's a mystery power?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km67d0Pn2xs

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Cat Machine posted:

The more media you consume the easier it is to predict other media!
But a lot of people probably just consume the media and don't analyze it at all I guess.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I remember posting a bit about how there was no way Luffy was going to fight Big Mom on Whole Cake Island and a bunch of people disagreed rather strongly.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I remember posting a bit about how there was no way Luffy was going to fight Big Mom on Whole Cake Island and a bunch of people disagreed rather strongly.

Oh yeah, I remember that too. Some people couldn't understand shonen manga even on the "which cartoon is stronger than the other" level and thought that Luffy, who had just taken 12 hours with help from Nami to beat Cracker, would totally beat Big Mom that arc.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

"This is how the raid can still fail"

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I dunno how I feel about Skypeia now that I finished it. Like, i understand stuff from it is important later, but I also feel like the handling of the indigenous people aspect of the plot deserves scrutiny.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

I dunno how I feel about Skypeia now that I finished it. Like, i understand stuff from it is important later, but I also feel like the handling of the indigenous people aspect of the plot deserves scrutiny.

so scrutinize it and report back. it’s interesting

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Oh yeah, I remember that too. Some people couldn't understand shonen manga even on the "which cartoon is stronger than the other" level and thought that Luffy, who had just taken 12 hours with help from Nami to beat Cracker, would totally beat Big Mom that arc.

good thing her defeat got delayed to prop up useless craptain kid

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Skypeia fans can never tell me what the symbolism of luffy being stuck in a snake for thirty chapters is.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

No Wave posted:

Skypeia fans can never tell me what the symbolism of luffy being stuck in a snake for thirty chapters is.

like being in the womb when you know that you can get out and make a difference but your jerk mom won't let you out

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

No Wave posted:

The symbolism is it was obvious right away that rubber man would be immune to lightning man and the longer their confrontation is postponed the funnier the payoff

[Editor's note: the payoff was hilarious and iconic]

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

One Piece is great because you can get all the Power Level chat you want out of it, but in the end everything is just powered by how strongly you believe so anything is possible so none of the Power Level chat actually matters and can be safely ignored.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

cgfreak posted:

The symbolism is it was obvious right away that rubber man would be immune to lightning man and the longer their confrontation is postponed the funnier the payoff

[Editor's note: the payoff was hilarious and iconic]

this, of course, foreshadows how the freedom man of light would be immune to the oppression man of shadows

e. wait shank's hat doesnt grow on luffy when he goes g5 giant, so have we finally found the reason for The Big Hat???

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Arist posted:

we knew why sanji could set his leg on fire though, it's just that depending on your point of view it was either a retcon or a lie

i'm not sure what this means, Sanji set his leg on fire by spinning really fast

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

this, of course, foreshadows how the freedom man of light would be immune to the oppression man of shadows

e. wait shank's hat doesnt grow on luffy when he goes g5 giant, so have we finally found the reason for The Big Hat???
all devil fruit users' clothes grow or shrink with them except Robin who seems to be an exhibitionist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Tampa Bae posted:

all devil fruit users' clothes grow or shrink with them except Robin who seems to be an exhibitionist

She can clone her clothes if she wants to, so you're probably right.