Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

kazakh has "kannibal" and also "adam jegish" which literally means man-eater. I figure that some version of "dude what eats dudes" is probably the original term in most languages.

Russian would have kanibal and lyudoyed which is... people-eater. Ukrainian has lyudojid and also lyudojer and lyudojererz which is a people eater using an alternative root for eat. Apparently some people also get all fancy and use variants on antropophage, which I suspect is roughly the same thing from Greek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

OddObserver posted:

Apparently some people also get all fancy and use variants on antropophage, which I suspect is roughly the same thing from Greek.

It is.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
But only a child born to a reigning emperor is allowed to be a purple people eater.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
A porphyranthropophage.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Countries will do anything but just have actual one person one vote democracy. "But but but what about wealthy rural landowners?? Shouldn't they get like 100 votes so those drat urban factory workers don't overpower them??"

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Most Westminster systems also used to have university constituencies. So major universities would get to have their own MPs. I think these are mostly abolished at the same time as the multi member constituencies.

Ireland, OTOH, still kept them for the Senead, where they’re notable for having an independent streak.

The problem of that streak is that one of the university senators is a pro-life dork who literally looks like the long lost twin of Will from the Inbetweeners.

Man clearly wasn’t swirlied enough at school.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's clearly the atlantic species of whatever michael gove is.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Suggestion for perfect political sytem
You should only be able to become a senator by killing and eating a reigning senator.

If you eat a senator you did not personally kill, such as by grave robbing a long dead senator or pouncing on a senator who has died from natural causes, you only become a congressman. If you kill and eat 10 nonconsecutive congressmen you level up to senator. If a senator eats another senator he takes over his fiefdom. If a senator manages to eat all other senators he becomes God-King and is torn to pieces and eaten by the hoi polloi in a special feast in Des Moines.

Each of these positions is for life but Cannibalocracy ensures that that life is short and ends painfully and messily.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I support the open trading and selling of votes. You sell your vote to a vote broker, who in turn sells their blocks of votes to whichever candidate pays them the most money.

This in turn will lead to the issuance of iron-clad vote-backed securities, which will also be traded in some sort of exchange, mostly run by algorithms.

The rich will get richer, the system will become more broken, unequal, dysfunctional, and fascist, but every American will get some sort of cash payment every year, depending on how significant the election is.

This is the only actual path to UBI in the American system

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Blut posted:

That uniformity is really interesting. I wonder if because its such a universally despised concept did it originate in some hunter-gatherer Indo-European language before humans spread to Europe and never subsequently evolve.

OwlFancier posted:

Previously people would have used other words for it but then everyone decided to use a corruptuion of "caribales" i.e the people who lived in the caribbean but spain-ified, a few hundred years ago, because everyone loves to blame the horrible foreigners for things.

Iceland I assume translates directly as "man-eater" which I think would have been one of the historical terms for it among the germanic languages.

Yep

menneskeæder (da)
menneskeeter (no)
människoätare (se)
Menschenfresser (de)
etc

French seems to have used anthropophage (it's in the first ed. of the academy's dictionary from 1694, whereas cannibale doesn't show up until 4th ed. in 1762), which is of course Greek for the same thing.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Carthag Tuek posted:

Yep

menneskeæder (da)
menneskeeter (no)
människoätare (se)
Menschenfresser (de)
etc

Yeah, I was going to post this from the Norwegian perspective. Menneskeeter is used interchangeably with kannibal, except the latter term also applies to animals of other species eating their own, as well as things like the honored practice of cannibalizing a machine for spare parts, etc.

Icelandic is special because their authorities have spent many decades frowning really hard on importing loanwords and made a lot of effort to promote native Icelandic words (including neologisms, which this obviously is not) instead.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Apparently last night on the US Republican debate, Ron DeSantis said he's going to send the US military "into Mexico" to "solve drugs" so we might just make that war on drugs map reality yet

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Actually it's ihmissyöjä (unless it's not human).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Apparently last night on the US Republican debate, Ron DeSantis said he's going to send the US military "into Mexico" to "solve drugs" so we might just make that war on drugs map reality yet

The U.S. keeps declaring wars on ideas.

It’s time that the ideas fought back.

BREAKING NEWS: Cancer sends armaments to Drugs in war against U.S. aggressor

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
In Scotland it's common for alphabetised lists of names to have their own heading for Mc/Mac, so looking forward to our Letter Government having its own giant constituency for that. Key target seat for the SNP, one would imagine

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Reminds me of McDonald's attempting to sue Supermac's, arguing that they had the idea of using Mac in relation to fast food meat products first, and that this is trademarkable.

They decided to do this in Ireland so the judicial opinion was 'lol, lmao, get to gently caress'.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Guavanaut posted:

Reminds me of McDonald's attempting to sue Supermac's, arguing that they had the idea of using Mac in relation to fast food meat products first, and that this is trademarkable.

They decided to do this in Ireland so the judicial opinion was 'lol, lmao, get tae gently caress'.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Actually it's ihmissyöjä (unless it's not human).

For those of you who haven't taken half a semester of Finnish (:smug:), this is just man eater, but with knife and vodka implied

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hunger is hunger; but the hunger that is satisfied by cooked man eaten with a knife and vodka differs from hunger that devours raw men with the help of hands, nails and teeth.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Solve for drugs

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Angepain posted:

In Scotland it's common for alphabetised lists of names to have their own heading for Mc/Mac, so looking forward to our Letter Government having its own giant constituency for that. Key target seat for the SNP, one would imagine

That's how it used to work in the US too. In my experience that pretty much died out with the widespread introduction of computers since nobody wants to manually alphabetize anymore (for good reason).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Danish phonebooks and directories used to be sorted by surname, title, first initials until the late 1960s or so

real pain in the rear end to look up people when you're not exactly sure what their job is

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Carthag Tuek posted:

Danish phonebooks and directories used to be sorted by surname, title, first initials until the late 1960s or so

real pain in the rear end to look up people when you're not exactly sure what their job is

People using titles is weird and you monarchies should stop

Also, one of my "friends" is technically a Countess in Russia, and she insists on being called Countess X Xevna X instead of just her name

First of all, in the US of A we don't have noble titles, you set that aside if you become a US citizen stop pretending, second of all Russia kinda did away with all that a hundred years ago, third of all why do we put up with this because I still address her as Countess what the gently caress is wrong with me

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, one of my "friends" is technically a Countess in Russia, and she insists on being called Countess X Xevna X instead of just her name

First of all, in the US of A we don't have noble titles, you set that aside if you become a US citizen stop pretending, second of all Russia kinda did away with all that a hundred years ago, third of all why do we put up with this because I still address her as Countess what the gently caress is wrong with me

i mean we did stop, back in the 60s

i guess youre supposed to address the royal family by their titles, and politicians address each other as Mr(s). Title Surname in parliament, but literally nobody cares in real life

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Noted monarchies USA, Switzerland and Germany.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Noted monarchies USA, Switzerland and Germany.
America is an elective monarchy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

A Buttery Pastry posted:

President RFK Jr. confirmed.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

President RFK Jr. confirmed.
The whole point of elective monarchies is that a dynasty can't be sure that it's gonna retain the crown. Even if name recognition helps, see the Roosevelts and the Bushes

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

A Buttery Pastry posted:

In two hundred years time undergrad History students will be answering exam questions of "The United States of America was neither United, Stately, or American. Discuss" alongside our current Holy Roman Empire "was neither Holy, Roman or an Empire" version.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

0/10 Dutchy of the Two Dakotas should be non-continuous with UPPER MISSOURI dividing it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

so canada is the holy roman empire of america, bordering a mishmash of polities to its south

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One of the original suggestions for what to call the president was your majesty, but that has since been reserved for purple mountains instead.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

SlothfulCobra posted:

One of the original suggestions for what to call the president was your majesty, but that has since been reserved for purple mountains instead.

It was actually "His Elective Majesty" that almost got the official address. It was suggested by John Adams.

Alexander Hamilton had the best suggestion: "His Highness, the President of the United States of America and the Protector of their Liberties"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The whole point of elective monarchies is that a dynasty can't be sure that it's gonna retain the crown. Even if name recognition helps, see the Roosevelts and the Bushes

All hail King Jimmy Carter I and his current dauphin and Lord Regent, Joe Biden I

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

If the president has a doctorate, should you call them Dr President?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BonHair posted:

If the president has a doctorate, should you call them Dr President?

Nope.

You go by highest title achieved. President outranks doctor.

President is also the only title that you officially can keep using after leaving office. Everyone else just has to use "Honorable" when they are former officeholder.

I used to work with a former Ambassador who would insist that people address formal mail, letters, and business emails to them as "The Honorable X."

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

But what about the times when you'd use "Mr President"?

Also, allegedly, the Germans stack titles. I knew someone who got two different doctorates, and apparently she could be referred to as "doktor doktor lastname". I think we even found train tickets or something where that was an option for title.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The current president of Iceland would be Doctor Professor Mister President Guðni Th. Jóhannesson in that German system.

Most Icelanders would probably just address him as Guðni. Maybe Hr.Forseti (Mr. president) if they were in a really formal setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BonHair posted:

But what about the times when you'd use "Mr President"?
Mr can outrank Dr in some cases, like surgeons in the Commonwealth system. I'd expect the same for high office.