Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean was live action Sanji that different from comic East Blue Sanji?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Manga Sanji is a virgin, live action Sanji Fucks

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Anyway, here's part one of that promised Digimon post:

Luffy

Chuumon > Targetmon > Etemon > KingEtemon

Luffy is defined by many things; a ridiculous powerset that's more dangerous than it looks, his inspiration taking from classic cartoons, and his massive strength. Chuumon is based on "Looney Tunes" style characters to start with, so he was a natural fit. As for Targetmon through KingEtemon...well, if you're familiar with Digimon lore, Etemon was originally a candidate for the title of "strongest Digimon". He was one of a handful of Digimon who could evolve from the weak mistreated evolutions into something incredibly strong. Plus, the Etemon line has a flamboyant, wacky vibe in addition to its great strength that would be much appreciated by Luffy as a partner. KingEtemon being, well, a "king" ties into Luffy's overall dream and goal. I dunno, I just thought it best Luffy have something powerful but also cartoony and wacky.

Nami

Gizamon > Coelamon > Divemon > Regalecusmon

The theme should be obvious. This ties into Nami's history with the Arlong pirates, using literal "fish man" Digimon (though Gizamon is a weird shark-frog thing). Regalecusmon's profile describes it as a vicious pirate, with its place at the end of the line representing Nami's eventual acceptance of being a pirate herself. Overall, I picture this as a tense partnership, with Nami brushing up against Gizamon's sharp edged nature and memories of her own experiences.

Usopp

Koemon > Hookmon > Assaultmon > Cannondramon

There's a story behind this one. Koemon and its bizarre evolution line you see here was one of three evolution lines created for Digimon World 3; its counterparts, Bearmon and Kotemon, represented the "fighter" and "swordsman" archetype, with Koemon and its forms representing the "Gunner" archetype. That's what links these four together; and with Koemon starting with a slingshot, it's a natural fit for Usopp. And let's be real; it's fitting that at least one of these guys has a Hookmon, an actual pirate Digimon, in here somewhere.

Zoro

Kotemon > Mushamon > Oboromon > Zanbamon

Kotemon, who I just spoke of, is the basis for pretty much every swordsman-based Digimon line, so his presence here is explanatory. Mushamon, Oboromon, and Zanbamon keep up the swordsman theme, but at the same time, they're a bit more dangerous and violent compared to more heroic sword wielder-types. However, oni and demons factor a lot into Zoro's attack names and such, so they seemed like they'd fit better than "nicer" looking swordsmon.

I'm running out of text space so the remaining five will come in another post.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 28, 2023

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Infinitum posted:

Austin Powers respects women more than Sanji

he does. austin is actually all about consent. those movies hold up super well in that regard, surprisingly

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

mikeycp posted:

he does. austin is actually all about consent. those movies hold up super well in that regard, surprisingly

Totally true, Austin not hooking up with drunk Liz Hurley gave me an early and memorable lesson in consent

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

mikeycp posted:

Yup, I wasn't being facetious about it.

Dude is an absolute hornbag, but respects boundaries.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Infinitum posted:

Yup, I wasn't being facetious about it.

Dude is an absolute hornbag, but respects boundaries.
But if you have a mole on your face, he'll bully you for no other reason

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
My 69 year old dad is currently watching opla and has made it to namis appearance without turning it off. Oda does it again

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

and here's part 2

Sanji

Strabimon > BlackGalgomon > WereGarurumon (Black) > Justimon

This one takes some explaining, and touches on stuff I've been spoiled on. Strabimon is actually a form of a Digimon called Wolfmon that lost its power. In a sense, this ties into how Sanji was meant to be a special kind of human but came out "normal". Strabimon, BlackGalgomon and WereGarurumon all use brawling/kicking attacks, with the latter two also tying into his alias of "Black Leg" Sanji. Finally, we end on Justimon, which is chosen based on Sanji's raid suit, which is decidedly Kamen Rider inspired just like Justimon himself.

Brook

Ghostmon > Bakemon > SkullSatamon > Gokumon

Sadly, most musical themed digimon are either frogs, or end boss level threats. So we're going spoopy with this one, with SkullSatamon and Gokumon being based on literal skeletons. What's more, this illustration of SkullSatamon using its staff as a guitar influenced this decision as well.

Chopper

Labramon > Dobermon > Cerberumon/Cerberumon Werewolf Mode > Anubimon

Sadly, there are no raccoon digimon to saddle Chopper with. Anyway, the child form, Labramon, is a Digimon with a healing attack called "Cure Liquer". Dobermon is a bridge to Cerberumon, which has two forms: its familiar three headed dog form, and the humanoid "werewolf" form. This ties into Chopper's monster form, while also being a beast that has an animal and humanoid form. It ends with Anubimon, which is essentially the digimon universe's diety of revival, being responsible for restarting the life cycle of good-hearted digimon who die in battle.

Robin

Floramon > Fairymon > LadyDevimon > Lilithmon

The use of Floramon refers to Robin's devil fruit rather superficially, but it provides a decent start for Fairymon, who acts as a bridge to LadyDevimon and Lilithmon, who tie into Robin's epithet of "devil child". Lilithmon is also a crafty and intelligent digimon, at least in every piece of media outside of Xros Wars. It also ties into Robin's Demonio Fleur attack, which I've been spoiled on.

Franky and Jimbei to come in part 3.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Desumaytah posted:

Sanji rules because he's just Johnny Bravo with some more life skills but Leg Day Only.

poo poo, they really are opposites. Johnny Bravo is all chest and arms and no legs, whereas Sanji is all legs no chest or arms.

Had to centaur them:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

and the last two

Franky

Hagurumon > Guardromon > Andromon > HiAndromon

This one is pretty straightforward. Hagurumon is the bread and butter "machine" child form, with Guardromon being the closest thing Digimon has to a classic cartoony robot. Andromon, despite his name, is more a cyborg, which is, well, what Franky is. HiAndromon rounds us off with being more robotic, which ties into Franky's becoming even more mechanized as things go on.

Jimbei

Swimmon > Manbomon > Whamon (Perfect) > Neptunemon

Swimmon here starts us out with a pretty standard fish child form. Manbomon is a boxing sunfish, which ties into the Sun pirates and also Fish-man Karate. Whamon is the closest thing Digimon HAS to a whale shark, and then leads into Neptunemon, who is literally based on the god of the sea and ties into Jimbei's former Warlord status.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:five:

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

anime was right posted:

SanjiEveryone is pretty flanderized from thriller bark

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Weirdly enough, Thriller Bark is actually where Nami's greed started to get toned down a bit. But I do think that not only Sanji, but also Usopp, Chopper, and maybe Franky did get flanderized somewhat around then. (Zoro also underwent a shift in characterization I don't particularly like, but not until the time skip, and it was an in-universe change (presumably due to spending time around Mihawk) rather than flanderization.)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I didn’t expect a handsome squidward type thing in this manga

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Silver2195 posted:

Weirdly enough, Thriller Bark is actually where Nami's greed started to get toned down a bit. But I do think that not only Sanji, but also Usopp, Chopper, and maybe Franky did get flanderized somewhat around then. (Zoro also underwent a shift in characterization I don't particularly like, but not until the time skip, and it was an in-universe change (presumably due to spending time around Mihawk) rather than flanderization.)
Shabody is when the series stopped being about the Straw Hats and started being about the One Piece. There's good Straw Hat moments but there's less definitive straw hat fights, usually we see the beginning and/or end now because there's so much going on

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I trust that Oda will deliver a character moment for all of the Strawhats before the end of the story and to be honest I understand putting most of them in a holding patter for now while we work up to the fireworks factory. Sanji seeing the All Blue and Usopp confronting Yasopp and Jimbei ending racism and Brook meeting Laboon again and all that poo poo will all just be so worth it so much that I almost don’t care about what happens inbetween

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That villain Hina, ruining Ms Golden Week’s noble plot to save her comrades…

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Tampa Bae posted:

Really liked old Sanji who would always sneak off and set up the end-game because nobody else was cunning enough to do it

Eiba posted:

I thought his Mr. Prince shenanigans were cool. Sometimes he'll go off on his own to do what needs to be done. That's always really cool.

Infinitum posted:

The womanising aspects of him get worse over time, cause yeah he used to be this dude who'd do cool stuff on the side and save the day

Sanji has been Stealth Black the whole time. :aaaaa:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Tampa Bae posted:

Shabody is when the series stopped being about the Straw Hats and started being about the One Piece. There's good Straw Hat moments but there's less definitive straw hat fights, usually we see the beginning and/or end now because there's so much going on
I would say Punk Hazard was the last crew-focused arc. It was the last time the crew were just on an adventure by themselves to nowhere in particular. And there are a lot of good character moments for the crew in that adventure.

For instance I didn't remember until a reread how Sanji took responsibility for the samurai he barely met. He really did exhibit the kindness he's said to have with how far he went during all that, in a way that was not related to any of his gimmicks.

After that arc they had passengers and allies and a mission and what they were trying to do and the people they were doing with it became more important than the antics of the crew.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Whole Cake Island was a crew focused arc, the crew was just halved.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Only crew member around that doesn't get great stuff is Chopper (:rip:) everyone else gets some good focus and a couple have real character defining poo poo happen.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Manga Sanji is a virgin, live action Sanji Fucks

Wrong

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
no sanjis a hot guy that has a repulsive personality (but not in a way thats immediately threatening) and the instant he opens his mouth women are like yeah ok nvm

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Pudding should've joined the crew

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

hatty posted:

No, it should have been Rebecca/Carrot/Yamato.

(The last one's actually true. :smugdog:)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nobody said it should have been Rebecca.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rebecca doesn't do weed because the coliseum does drug tests

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bellamy should have joined the crew

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

chopper blocked big mom that was pretty cool

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

hatty posted:

Unfortunately, she's not old enough to legally pirate. Seriously one of the most wtf moments when I found out she was 16.

Waffleman_ posted:

Rebecca doesn't do weed because the coliseum does drug tests

She turns down weed just as suggested in a 90s D.A.R.E. video.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I’m surprised Fukuro just turned out to be a weird man with a zipper for a mouth. I kept waiting for him to pull out some zip zip fruit power during his fight with Franky.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nodosaur posted:

I’m surprised Fukuro just turned out to be a weird man with a zipper for a mouth. I kept waiting for him to pull out some zip zip fruit power during his fight with Franky.

That is one of the amusing things in the world of One Piece. If you look like you ate a devil fruit, chances are that you didn't and you're just a weird looking person.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nodosaur posted:

I love it when a manga does this tbh. See also the cactus guy in Steel Ball Run.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Marineford is where One Piece turned into an epic, for better and for worse.

You get less intimate character moments but the poo poo going on moment to moment is often incredible

E: It’s basically the anime equivalent of The Lord of the Rings at this point

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

TheKingofSprings posted:

Marineford is where One Piece turned into an epic, for better and for worse.

You get less intimate character moments but the poo poo going on moment to moment is often incredible

E: It’s basically the anime equivalent of The Lord of the Rings at this point
No, I think One Piece has earned the right to stand on its own, it out-sold the bible at one point.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gyges posted:

Unfortunately, she's not old enough to legally pirate. Seriously one of the most wtf moments when I found out she was 16.

She turns down weed just as suggested in a 90s D.A.R.E. video.

There was a streak of those for a bit, I think Shirahoshi and Rebecca are the same age

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The only One Piece Age Fact you need to know is that Doc Q is 28.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

The only One Piece Age Fact you need to know is that Doc Q is 28.

I don’t believe it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The other good One Piece Age Fact is that Sanji’s manga and anime ages are different because he was too young to be smoking in the manga