Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

CodfishCartographer posted:

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1706670703104430195?t=14wrRGReBgY6nmJsMThklA&s=19

Surely this'll just mean there'll be two different tiers to access more/less manga, and not referring to currencies, right?... Right?

Definitely doesn't look like a coin system at least, so I'm relieved regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
2$ is pretty worth it to me at least. Depending on what it gives.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
There’s a lot of overlap between Manga Plus and Shonen Jump, I wonder how that will shake out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alacron posted:

There’s a lot of overlap between Manga Plus and Shonen Jump, I wonder how that will shake out.

Yeah, that's my biggest issue with a subscription for Manga Plus, no matter how cheap it is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What does MP have that SJ doesn't?

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

a lot of good stuff that was originally published in japanese jump plus, big ones for me being dandandan, marriagetoxin, and you and I are polar opposites, though I also like service wars, oshi no ko, shibatarian, me and my gangster neighbour, and red cat ramen

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

panko posted:

a lot of good stuff that was originally published in japanese jump plus, big ones for me being dandandan, marriagetoxin, and you and I are polar opposites, though I also like service wars, oshi no ko, shibatarian, me and my gangster neighbour, and red cat ramen

SJ has Dandandan it just doesn't show up on the app

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ImpAtom posted:

For me. Demon Lord Exchange, Shibatarian, and Yumeochi are all Manga Plus and nowhere else. Ayakashi Triangle as well, but that’s done.

Not sure I’d pay a subscription for just those 3.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

cool, I remember discovering that the site had some more mature themes manga when I went to go read the chapter of chainsaw man part 1 that is missing on the app and I ended up reading fire punch via the sj site, but I let my subscription lapse a while ago when it went from a buck a month to three and have been using mangaplus exciusively since. any other site-only manga worth mentioning?

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Make the Exorcist Fall in Live also seems popular. The main stuff I'm reading there is Magilumiere, Handsome Must Die, Sachi's Records, Blooming Love, Skeleton Double, and Gangster Neighbor. I do also use it for Dandadan because Viz has issues putting stuff in their app.

I know there's been cancelled or complete stuff I read there too like Summertime Render and Soloist in a Cage, just don't have a full list in mind.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I could see maybe being interested in reading some of the backlogs but my big thing is that almost all my reading is done on the phone app these days so if it has the same weird "we don't allow 'adult' material, please ignore all the actual adult material we allow" stuff it doesn't really add much.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Like 80% of all shonen stuff I read is on Manga Plus, so....gently caress.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Yeah, if their subscriptions include Jump stuff, I'm almost certainly moving over. We'll see what they announce.

Absum
May 28, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Being available outside the US and Canada.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I had a thought, MP and SJ are both owned by Shueisha. So it seems weird that that they would offer two different subscription services that offer the same books.

What if this $2 subscription is exclusively for MP originals, and the $5 subscription is an MP+SJ bundle?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I have it just for Daemons of the Shadow Realm.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Manga+ app also just seems to load pictures faster than SJ for me, so I tend to read new chapters on Manga+ when they drop.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Absum posted:

Being available outside the US and Canada.

MP has any of the other more violent stuff, but it also has nearly (NEARLY) everything that SJ has for regular updates.

SJ has One Punch Man which aaa is the only reason I still have it. Why is it not on MP???

Alacron posted:

I had a thought, MP and SJ are both owned by Shueisha. So it seems weird that that they would offer two different subscription services that offer the same books.

What if this $2 subscription is exclusively for MP originals, and the $5 subscription is an MP+SJ bundle?

This sounds quite reasonable to me depending on how they differentiate the two.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Security is mortals chiefest enemy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New Kinnikuman anime coming next year:

https://twitter.com/kin29man_anime/status/1707409841310802063

It seems to be an adaption of the Perfect Origin arc and Production IG will be handling it rather than Toei

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
This guy could save the universe if he only had some guts.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1707290426967744771?t=n9sV9kosHbLwbRmI1zY7YQ&s=19

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well. that sure is an outfit.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

My first thought was remembering kishimoto talk about giving Naruto a headband because he got tired of drawing goggles all the time, 20 something years later and we've got an outfit that's just bows on bows.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

How you all managed to look away from the eyes to notice the dress I have no idea. My every instinct is screaming that this alien mantis is about to bite my head off.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

:stare:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I mean, I knew that the PPPPPP mangaka wasn't the best artist but uh....that face is certainly something.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

oshi no soul

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Lt. Lizard posted:

I mean, I knew that the PPPPPP mangaka wasn't the best artist but uh....that face is certainly something.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

me and my friends would definitely kill that with hammers

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

How you all managed to look away from the eyes to notice the dress I have no idea. My every instinct is screaming that this alien mantis is about to bite my head off.

Look, you have to put your energy into a single feature on each character and in this case it's the bows.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Considering the last series maybe she is supposed to look unnerving and creepy

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I like mapollo's character designs. To some extent, looking weird is better than being like Kagurabachi. Just not if you're Ice Head Gil, I suppose...

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah I'm down, PPPPP's art style really grew on me and they can do a lot with it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

haypliss posted:

I like mapollo's character designs. To some extent, looking weird is better than being like Kagurabachi. Just not if you're Ice Head Gil, I suppose...

Yeah I'll take slightly off proportioned but cartoony over over-designed Gil any day. The art was about the only thing I liked about PPPPPP by the end, so I'm glad to see them get another chance with something else that looks like it'll fit their style well.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I just read 3 chapters of Diasporaiser on MangaPlus.

What the gently caress is this

Synopsis of early chapter 1:

Young boy overhears some local burnouts planning to rob an old man. Goes to warn old man, discovers the old man is a lunatic who goes on about how he's been protecting the earth from magic-using alien Cosmic Sorcerers for decades. Using his shotgun.

Then it kinda just goes insane and it's got a LOT of dialogue.

Part of me is like "this isn't really good" but also part of me wants to know where it's going?

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/titles/100272

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

RubberLuffy posted:

I just read 3 chapters of Diasporaiser on MangaPlus.

What the gently caress is this

Synopsis of early chapter 1:

Young boy overhears some local burnouts planning to rob an old man. Goes to warn old man, discovers the old man is a lunatic who goes on about how he's been protecting the earth from magic-using alien Cosmic Sorcerers for decades. Using his shotgun.

Then it kinda just goes insane and it's got a LOT of dialogue.

Part of me is like "this isn't really good" but also part of me wants to know where it's going?

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/titles/100272

I really like it so far. It kinda hit the ground running and has yet to really stop. I think I read something about Dandadan's editor working on it, and it kinda has some of that same energy.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The old man being a deranged gremlin who goes into magic battles with machete and shotgun is like 90% of the appeal. And tbh, that's enough for now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i really appreciate the concept of shifting full body tattoos. that way, it becomes a texture to apply as needed and not a static design that must be drawn accurately each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

a lot of the designwork gives me dai dark vibes which is cool