Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's kinda poo poo but sort of works. I've had to gently caress with it a fair bit and it was overwhelmed when I cut a wet log the full length of the jig, twisted and poo poo, but for smaller bits and stuff that is properly dry it seems to work OK. I got some nice slices from a piece of redwood I salvaged when my neighbor cut down their dying redwood tree.

You get the idea. The pipe clamp doesn't really grip the ends of a log well, unless they're cut exactly parallel, and even then not enough grip. Might have to modify it.

Having to balance infeed and outfeed on portable stands is also very fiddly. My "shop" is really too cramped for this.

There's a piece on the bottom of the jig that fits into the miter slot on the bandsaw, but that means it does not like to rest flat on the support stands. Not sure how to resolve that, it has to use the miter slot to stay true as you pass through the saw, but needs a flat bottom to rest flat on the roller.

I had to try a few things to get the tail end of the pipe clamp to be able to move horizontally but still spread force across the back end of the jig:

This more or less works.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

That kicks rear end bro

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

thanks, that is kind of you. It was a fun project to delve into but now I have this giant jig with nowhere to conveniently store it, and some sliced up redwood I need to assign to a project. :shrug: that's OK though I made big pieces of wood into smaller pieces of wood and that is the essence of woodworking.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

rotor posted:

i really wanted it in the center but because of the LEDs I used - this big array of them from an led light bulb - I wasnt able to put the toggle in the center where it should be.

if it was in the center you woodn't be able to set your drink on it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Leperflesh posted:

[badass poo poo]
This more or less works.

that rules. How do you keep the clamp from moving around in the channels?

ps: I was just made aware that redwood dust is allergy-sensitizing and I think its probably responsible for my seasonal allergies now so you should wear a mask imo. I think the article was in FWW recently.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I don't wear my mask as often as I should

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

If only every wood tool only created easy to sweep up shavings. gently caress a sander

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i deliberately try to stay away from all processes that produce fine dust, but sometimes you gotta sand something.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

gently caress a sander

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

rotor posted:

that rules. How do you keep the clamp from moving around in the channels?

ps: I was just made aware that redwood dust is allergy-sensitizing and I think its probably responsible for my seasonal allergies now so you should wear a mask imo. I think the article was in FWW recently.
Here's the head end of the clamp as it is today:

And a view of the back of the head end:

I added this to the jig specifically because it kept sliding in the slot. There's a bolt that grips against the feet of the head end of the pipe clamp on the inside and pulls on a washer on the outside.

The tail end of the clamp is held in the channel by tension. It screws onto the pipe, basically, and if you screw it down tight enough it'll warp the whole jig, but it winds up not needing to be super tight because it kind of wants to stay parallel anyway. Ideally there would be a support on top, but that would get in the way of the larger logs I'm trying to mill. I haven't really solved this issue, but this is rough milling so a little inaccuracy is OK, the milled planks have to be planed before they're properly flat anyway.

And yeah I use the shop vac to suck up dust from the exhaust port on the bandsaw, and also wear a paper mask, for all processes that create dust. Sometimes a respirator when called-for.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

oh ok i got it

but yeah i think be especially careful w/ redwood dust is what I'm sayin

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i don't work wood but this is cool

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

rotor posted:

i deliberately try to stay away from all processes that produce fine dust, but sometimes you gotta sand something.

same

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

PokeJoe posted:

gently caress a sander

yeah

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I prefer to hand plane stuff, and often you can get a finish from the hand plane that is better than any possible sanded finish. But sometimes you have to sand something, like especially if it has a rounded edge.

Planing makes shavings instead of dust, so it's so much nicer. The shavings make great firestarter for my barbecue, or can just get swept up to go in the mulch.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I have found that card scrapers can replace sanding in like 80% of the cases where I thought i still needed sanding

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah card scrapers rule although burnishing and sharpening them properly is an art I still struggle with

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i got one of these and it made my life a lot better

https://www.blackburntools.com/new-tools/scrapers-and-related/accu-burr/index.html

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Elder Postsman posted:

well, poo poo. now i'm gonna have to get one instead of fuckin' around with this awful drill press.

instead, i decided to order one of those $40 micro lathes, it'll be here monday.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

dang that looks cool, I might get one although I did already pay for a "traditional" burnisher

I suspect half my problem is being too impatient with the prep work prior to burnishing and half is that every youtube seems to have a slightly different approach to the process and I watched several and then get in the garage and don't follow just one specific one carefully

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
bulk material removal using sandpaper is for chumps and losers

acefire
Jan 22, 2009

Refuckulatin the carbonators.
story of my life

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Finished my rock tumbler

https://media.discordapp.net/attach...2ceec0dd0f3ba0&

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

alright got some longer 2 1/2" ss deck screws, that seems to keep them in place. bought some much smaller double-ended tacks but drat they still suck lol.

plan is to pop in a bunch of 4" containers over the winter to stratify the seeds, then get the most viable seedlings into their own 4" container, let them grow until fall and plant them.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Update: finished the rock saw

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

ok any ideas on how i can fix up my coffee table here? it's starting to splinter off on the corners of the shelf and that's no good for my boy. i taped it for now but that's not a very good fix. this is the bottom shelf of the coffee table. there's a lip with about 2mm overhang and maybe 1.5cm tall. it looks like it's some kind of veneer? it's all painted black.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm sorry but the issue is that your table is a piece of poo poo

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Real advice sand the edges smooth all the way around and just paint the whole table again. Then coat it in polyurethane. That veneer on cheap furniture is absolutely garbage

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

I'm sorry but the issue is that your table is a piece of poo poo

:yeah:

for real though maybe i should just get a better one then. i like treating this thing like a piece of poo poo but otoh having a nice coffee table would be cool.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

actual solid wood tabletops are good. Idk what the rest of your table is like but you can buy butcherblock slabs for pretty cheap at ikea or hd/lowes now. I got a ... 2'x8' sheet 1.5" thick for like ... $120? Pretty cheap anyway. So if you can replace the top thats one route.

but yeah once the veneer starts to pull off cheap furniture there's no decent way to fix it that isnt the same price or more than "just buy a new one"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

do the tiktok thing where you fill it in with noodles and superglue

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's hard to see in the pics but if it's just edging veneer, you can peel off the poo poo old veneer and apply new stick-on veneer. Which is still you know, just a cheap product, but at least it'd be stuck on instead of peeling off.

I agree with the other folks though that this is spending time and money trying to prolong the life of some cheap furniture and it might not be worth that vs. just replacing it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m off to buy a router

got shitloads of macrocarpa to take the edge off
yolo

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I have a aliexpress router. It's ok

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

echinopsis posted:

i’m off to buy a router

got shitloads of macrocarpa to take the edge off
yolo

Monterey cyprus? I didn't know that was a species anyone worked with. I'm allergic to it so I won't be giving that a try.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s for a planter

the slabs are huge. 4 are 100x200x4900

which is 8x4 inches cross section and almost 17 feet long

the lady at the timber place was like “it’ll be about 60kg”, but lol two of us can’t even move it

there were four at about 5 feet and the router has tidied them up nicely :smugmrgw:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just chamfered approx 106m of that macrocarpa

big ups to that router bit lol

and also rip my back

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Nice work. Or should I say nice wood :grin:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004