Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Nessus posted:

It's possible they adjusted it for some reason to suit German typers more but had not done so at this era. QWERTY is primarily to make you type slower so you don't jam the keys.

This is pretty much myth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Fangz posted:

Did they give *civilians* typewriters with dedicated SS keys?

Also do we have examples of people using the SS key to take the piss?

I don't know the particulars, but it's worth noting that the SS itself was a political organization, not a military one. You did have an explicitly military branch, but the Allgemeine SS itself wasn't military.

This poo poo gets weird, because the whole purpose of the SS back in the pre-1933 days was to be a personal bodyguard for Hitler and other Nazi bigwigs. So it's an explicitly paramilitary force from the beginning, then in the mid-30s they need to do a reorg to basically have:

1) more political, not expressly paramilitary, but still with a lot of paramilitary trappings (Allgemeine SS)
2) Explicitly military, technically under command of the Wehrmacht, but in peace time answerable to Himmler (this starts small, eventually develops into the Waffen SS - google SS-VT if you really care about that)
3) what I'm just going to lump as camp personnel. The SS Guard Units (Wachverbaende) that were established in 1933 to be camp guards at Dachau. Eventually this becomes the SS Deaths Head (Totenkopfverbaende) and was responsible for all of the camp systems, including the extermination camps.

But under the Allgemeine SS you have stuff like the regional collaborationist political stuff and some women's auxiliaries etc.

Which, again, is all paramilitary, but interfaced with a bunch of fully civilian agencies and the like.

So long story short there are plenty of reasons why a random government office in bum gently caress nowhere Thuringia might want a typewriter with the actual runes on it for correspondence.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

sullat posted:

There are Sumerian tablets that say something to the effect of, "Dad, please send me more money for school. If I can't bribe the teacher I won't get good grades and won't get a good job after I am done with school."
There's a surviving fragment of a letter from a mother to her Roman Legionnaire son, where she send her son fresh socks and underwear:

quote:

"... I have sent you ... pairs of socks from Sattua [unfortunately, we do not know where that was], two pairs of sandals and two pairs of underpants (...). Greet (...) Elpis, (...), Tetricus and all your messmates with whom I pray that you live in the greatest good fortune."
Moms, moms never change. :kimchi:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

I often come across complaints that could be used to describe modern office settings. People running around and make a lot of noise without anything getting done, management who's given up managing anything and just signs paychecks, officers primarily preoccupied with awarding each other medals while their unit goes to poo poo, etc. You can copy some of these reports into the "dumb poo poo your workplace does" thread almost verbatim.

A "Dumb poo poo Patriotically efficient things the good peasants and workers of my office collective did" post in that thread could be pretty great, just saying.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

FMguru posted:

There's a surviving fragment of a letter from a mother to her Roman Legionnaire son, where she send her son fresh socks and underwear:

Moms, moms never change. :kimchi:

Wait the Romans wore socks with sandals? How gauche.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I would understand if the Nazis felt the need for a dedicated swastika key, but an SS key? You've got an S key, use it twice, stupid. I hope unicode didn't add in any SS symbol.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

I would understand if the Nazis felt the need for a dedicated swastika key, but an SS key? You've got an S key, use it twice, stupid. I hope unicode didn't add in any SS symbol.

seems redundant, even with the argument that its inclusion is necessary for the encoding of nazi documents. i can see the nazis wanting it on their typewriter, but theres no modern use for it. the sigel rune is already there, just double it up

(i say all this without going and searching. i also hope there is no unicode SS symbol)

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
“ϟ” is U+03DF.

It's Koppa, though.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SlothfulCobra posted:

You gotta follow the design parametres. If Twitter is now 𝕏 then it should be written as 𝕏 and nothing else! Or when an insurance company named themself as if... then you have to write if... in all texts discussing them. Not If or "if..." or you will hurt some brand consultant's feelings!

Or I dunno, was it a universal thing? I could see Nazi administration itself, the SS itself in particular, finding it handy when having correspondence about SS this and SS that because it makes it clear that you're talking about the Schutzstaffel not steam ships or some other meaning. Meanwhile an accountancy firm might have found an ℛ︁ℳ︁ symbol more useful in their machines. Or at least wouldn't be replacing all of their typewriters when Nazis assumed power.

I'm sure Himmler's office also had runic typewriters for writing super secret SS newsletters that only club members could decipher :ninja::ssh:

e: Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War had a special SS rune character that could be entered into unit names in the editor with a key combo

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Vahakyla posted:

“ϟ” is U+03DF.

It's Koppa, though.

They've got a whole unicode runic block: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runic_(Unicode_block)

Chances are you could cobble something together in that. I'm not going to do the legwork on it just because I don't want to be the source of some dipshit having an easy copy and paste.

That said, none of them have that particular Nazi font so they're not going to look quite right.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

iirc the nazis made up or used some made up pseudo runes anyway. unicode probably didn't make a typeset for fake nazi letters

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
On the topic of modern day underground Nazis, I came across this video a few days ago on Reddit's Civil War sub. Some of comments seemed to indicate there were hardcore ACW re enactors who fly over to the US on their own dime. I understand that ethnic Germans formed a significant part of the Federal Army but is it a thing over there?

One of the more interesting comments indicate that the some Germans idolize the Confederqcy and that Confederate flag is used as a proxy for white supremacists since the Swastika is banned? How prevalent is this behavior or is it more anecdotal?

https://reddit.com/r/CIVILWAR/s/mV5LS94V90

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

iirc the nazis made up or used some made up pseudo runes anyway. unicode probably didn't make a typeset for fake nazi letters

they added flourishes. In the case of the SS runes specifically it's basically a font thing. Google "sig rune" and you'll find a poo poo load of examples, both nazi and not. It's one of those things where it's distinctive enough that you'll have a pretty clear gut "yeah, that's nazi, that's not, that's a little sus, that one's not" reaction.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Vagabong posted:

I'm going to guess this is Vindolanda, in northern England, in which case you definitely want the thickest socks you can find.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Recently I was writing up a section of an excavation in a Classical Greek city, and I found that our pottery expert had identified painted letters on the base of a cup fragment: ΓΛΑΥ E. They suggested that this was an abbreviation for Glau[kon] e[imi], translating literally to "Glaukon I am" or "I belong to Glaukon". This, plausibly, is the name of the last person to own the house the cup was excavated from, in 348 BC.

As I said in the report I wrote, those painted letters are now probably the only evidence that that individual ever existed.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

Interesting, the German keyboard on my phone is QWERTZ rather than QWERTY, I thought it was because of their typewriters but I guess not.

And French is AZERTY. I think its just things not being internationally standardised.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Rascar Capac posted:

As I said in the report I wrote, those painted letters are now probably the only evidence that that individual ever existed.

That's better than most people from that time period. Though, on that note, I wonder what fraction of humanity we retain any form of direct evidence of, from records, graves, preserved corpses, graffiti, etc.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeC posted:

On the topic of modern day underground Nazis, I came across this video a few days ago on Reddit's Civil War sub. Some of comments seemed to indicate there were hardcore ACW re enactors who fly over to the US on their own dime. I understand that ethnic Germans formed a significant part of the Federal Army but is it a thing over there?

One of the more interesting comments indicate that the some Germans idolize the Confederqcy and that Confederate flag is used as a proxy for white supremacists since the Swastika is banned? How prevalent is this behavior or is it more anecdotal?

https://reddit.com/r/CIVILWAR/s/mV5LS94V90
The rebel flag as 'I'm a chud!' is more and more wide spread thanks to the world of Youtube, I think. but Germans would have known about it from American servicemen at some length.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

feedmegin posted:

And French is AZERTY. I think its just things not being internationally standardised.

AZERTY is literally worse than having an SS-key.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TK-42-1 posted:

I dunno, seeing
# I have no idea what this does and if anyone finds out I'm going to be homeless
# Please this isnt a joke if you figure it out please let me know

imparts a certain je ne sais quoi.

More “je ne sais pourquoi”, I think.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

SlothfulCobra posted:

Some of their typewriters DID have a swastika key:

A couple years ago I was asked about Nazi identification documents and how hard it is to forge them. This was in the context of movies like The Great Escape, where the escaping POWs are provided with fake IDs by the master forger character who cobbles together things like a Wehrpass or Truppenausweiss out of improvised materials.

One thing that you need to remember about 1940s personal documentation is that it isn't like identification today where an agency or cop can instantly scan it in to check a database to see if it is authentic. Everything had to stand alone.

One way that authenticity was kept was by using special materials. For an example off the top of my head the Wehrmacht issued soldiers with the item I mentioned above, the Truppenausweiss. You've all heard of the "Soldbuch," a sort of passport-sized booklet with all sorts of information, often referred to as a "pay book." These were often retained by a unit to keep potentially important tactical information like unit assignments from falling into an enemy's hands if the soldier was captured; in their place they were issued a single page "Truppenausweiss" ID. These were initially printed on a very distinctive blue linen paper that has a slick, almost oily feel to it. If you've ever felt one it's unmistakable. (As the war went on they used different materials due to shortages.)

This sort of "materials as forgery protection" thing is everywhere in WWII German ID documents if you know where to look for it. For another example, early on in the war a soldiers' Soldbuch didn't have a photo in it. They realized this was a problem, so they started stapling the photo into the front cover of the book. They used a couple of different methods to prevent the photo from being replaced, for example, they had a special stapler that bent the staples in a distinctive manner, or used a sort of open rivet to punch the photo in, then stamped the photo / book with a special rubber stamp.

Yes, each one of these could be forged, and not every Soldbuch or ID used the special stapler. Any one - or more - thing could be faked. But the idea was that if something was different or unusual it would catch the eye of an official, who would ask further questions. And if a whole lot of things are off you get asked a lot more questions.

And that's the really big factor with how WWII German ID documents worked. They aren't foolproof, they aren't "un-forgable," but they're meant to bring notice to something different so that an inspector will look more closely at it and ask questions to start cross-referencing the stuff in the documents to see if the bearer's story hangs together.

"Oh, I see you used to live in Magdeburg. My sister lives in Magdeburg, what's the name of the main street in town there?" "I see you took leave in Frankfurt, what stores did you shop in? What restaurants did you go to?"

For a US pop-culture equivalent, think of old US movies where soldiers ask US-specific questions like "who plays third base for the Yankees?" It's not intended to be a 100% pass/fail check, rather, it's more of a "should I be suspicious and look into this more" type of thing.

And things like the "SS" key on a typewriter are part of this sort of "build a picture of authenticity" device on each document. Sure, not every German typewriter even HAD an "SS" key; I'm sure every typewriter owned by the SS didn't even have one. But if you're an official presented with a document ostensibly from the SS and it doesn't have that key it will make you ask questions and dig in a bit deeper to make sure everything is legit.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 1, 2023

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cessna posted:

One thing that you need to remember about 1940s personal documentation is that it isn't like identification today where an agency or cop can instantly scan it in to check a database to see if it is authentic. Everything had to stand alone.

The best example of this is that standard American military IDs spelled the word "identification" wrong. The WWII vet and historian Paul Fussell wrote that a German spy was caught because a suspicious guard noticed that his identification spelled the word correctly.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

If you're interested in a good basic intro book on nazi identification documents try Papers, Please by Cowdery & Cowdery. It isn't encyclopedic and there are a few minor mistakes, but it is a good start. It's an interesting look at this particular side of totalitarian evil.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 30, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"Reich IT.... Yeah, try pressing ctrl+alt+othala"

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Man, you really know the coolest poo poo, Uncle Cessna.

I am not being sarcastic, this is legit fascinating.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Chamale posted:

The best example of this is that standard American military IDs spelled the word "identification" wrong. The WWII vet and historian Paul Fussell wrote that a German spy was caught because a suspicious guard noticed that his identification spelled the word correctly.

That is so inhumane. Can you imagine the mental anguish the German forger must have gone through while pondering that word. Before deciding to write it correctly and hoping for the best.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Warden posted:

Man, you really know the coolest poo poo, Uncle Cessna.

I am not being sarcastic, this is legit fascinating.

S-tier posting, consistently.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Subjunctive posted:

S-tier posting, consistently.

Agreed

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Are there any good books about the post world war 2 Africa merc wars? I'll take a biography but would prefer something more comprehensive since from my limited knowledge it's a clusterfuck.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

Iirc there are typewritten documents immediately postwar where the s key is broken but the SS one isn't so...

You'd think the SS would be smarter about this, especially since they literally have a letter for a double S already?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Greggster posted:

You'd think the SS would be smarter about this, especially since they literally have a letter for a double S already?

The eszet looks only haltingly like double "s," and even then only if you're writing in hand using an old script. If you needed to write double-s and had neither a working S key or a working ß key, the fix is to slap down a capital "B." It looks like poo poo but people get the point.

Example, Strasse, Straße, StraBe.

But frankly at that point if you're short on both the S and an ß keys the answer is to get another typewriter, or worst case just leave a blank space and write the letter in by hand if you're totally hosed.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Vagabong posted:

Weren't Roman socks weird? I remember hearing that Roman socks weren't exactly socks as we think of them.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Cessna posted:

Yeah, nowadays 90% of what the border guards at the airport do is swipe your passport like it's a credit card. When you're not doing it yourself in an Automatic Passport Control machine, that is.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Those loving passport control cells at Heathrow, man. Biggest 1984 moment i ever had

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

feedmegin posted:

I'm going to guess this is Vindolanda, in northern England, in which case you definitely want the thickest socks you can find.

I've seen the Vindolanda sandals in person, its a pretty amazing collection, but the idea of marching around in open topped sandals in rainy Northumberland seems incredibly miserable, even with socks.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Quackles posted:

Yeah, nowadays 90% of what the border guards at the airport do is swipe your passport like it's a credit card. When you're not doing it yourself in an Automatic Passport Control machine, that is.

Actual big fan of my experience in Brisbane where I strolled up to a gate, a camera took my picture, and then I was through customs. And again later when it was time to board the next plane you approached another gate, it took your picture, then let you on the plane.

Maybe we were scanning passports manually too but I don't think so, was blown away compared to the general North American experience of having to hand stuff to people who were (understandably) just irritated to be having to do this.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

PittTheElder posted:

who were (understandably) just irritated to be having to do this.

Yeah, it’s the dreaded double whammy intersection of ‘lovely job, presumably underpaid’ and ‘some flavor of cop’

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

But frankly at that point if you're short on both the S and an ß keys the answer is to get another typewriter, or worst case just leave a blank space and write the letter in by hand if you're totally hosed.

I see this a lot in Russian language documents where Latin characters are required, most often for Roman numerals. Or you could indeed just say gently caress it and type ХУШ instead of XVIII.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

My Great grandfather was court martialed right at the end of WWI, and the documents are contained in his service record. It was an affair involving a bunch of drunken troops in London and I get the impression that G-G-dad was pretty much just picked up because he was a convalescent and all the others ran away. I find the reactions and quotes are a fascinating window into people's attitude and thought processes at the time.

This is paraphrased because it is pieced together from the official transcripts, sworn statements and the draft statements which were for some reason preserved and contain a bunch of juicy quotes that were edited out. My Great-Grandfather is Bombardier Hobbs.

quote:

12.40AM, 8-11-1918: 2Lt Paterson of 5/Grenadier Guards and about 10 NZ troops are on the subway platform at Earls Court. Paterson is wearing his dress blue uniform, which impresses the Kiwi soldiers. The smaller of two accused soldiers (Waite?) talks to Paterson. [Paterson]: "I saw they were trying to be a little familiar, so I moved away from them."

Train Arrives, containing Cpt Wray RE (Of the RAF) & Lt Townshend of Durham Light Infantry (attached RAF). Troops board followed by Paterson, who for some reason decides to wait on the platform between the carriages.

[Paterson] After 2 minutes the troops open the door to carriage. The small man calls another, and eventually grabs Paterson's coat. Both jostle Paterson.

[Wray]: Troops make fun of Paterson who asks them to board the car. They crowd around Paterson who attempts to induce them to keep quiet. [Paterson]: Tells the troops "If you don't stop this immediately the whole lot of you will be put under arrest." Someone calls Paterson a "chocolate soldier". Paterson breaks away from troops.

Train arrives at station. Wray invites Paterson into their compartment. [Paterson]3 [Wray] 4 - 5 [Townshend]2 NZ Troops follow. [Townshend]: Attendant tries to stop troops, but they force their way in with Hobbs following. [Paterson]: Hobbs, Small man and the other ringleader enter and begin to loudly discuss their looming arrest. [Townshend]:Troops make rude remarks about Paterson, one takes off hat and raises fist to Paterson. A nearby Australian Corporal calms troop down.

Wray and Paterson discuss removing troops (to custody?) at Leicester sq. [Townshend]: Wray threatens to arrest Hobbs or Waite?. One asks why they are being arested. Wray advises them not to talk. A kiwi says "You are not going to allow us to be turfed out by this bloody rubbish?" [Wray]: I said to them "It's no use trying that, boys, because I think I can handle you."

Train arrives Leicester sq. Conductor detains train at the request of Wray. Wray orders troops out of train. Troops refuse and appeal to Hobbs saying "You are not going to allow us to be kicked out like this" and accused said "No".

Wray asks Hobbs to help: "Come on my man, I want you to help us" Paterson threatens Hobbs with arrest: "If you do not assist you will also come out". Wray asks Aussie Cpl to detain soldiers, but Cpl refuses [Wray, in draft statement]: in an abusive manner. The other ringleader makes a run for it and escapes. Wray [in his cross-examination] threatens to knock heads of his other prisoners together. Hobbs and Waite are arrested and taken to Vine St Police Station.

12-11-1918:
2/1993 CPL Oliver makes a written statement that BDR Hobbs was taken into NZ HQ custody 9-11-1918.

Court-martial ordered 21-11-1918:

MAJ W.G. Bishop NZRB President.
CPT C.A.L Treadwell Prosecuting

Summonsed:
13760 RFN Harris P NZRB
13/2916 DVR Smith HJG NZFA
16/554 CPL Te Paa NZ(M)PB
35857 PTE Ross J 2/NZEB
2/1515 BDR Hobbs EP NZFA
2/2335 GNR Waite EJ NZFA

Charges:
1. When on active service offering Violence to a superior officer in that he at London on Oct 8th 1918 assaulted 2/Lt. Paterson 5/Res. Bn Grenadier Guards by Seizing him by the coat and dragging him forcedly into a railway carriage.

2. When on active service conduct to the prejudice of good order and military discipline in that he at London on Nov 8th 1918 made use of in the prescence of Captain E.H. Wray and 2/lt Paterson, the remarks "That they would be damned if they would be placed in arrest by these bloody fools" such remarks being intended to refer to the said Capt E.H. Wray an 2/Lt J. S. Paterson.

Court-Martial convenes 26-11-1918.

Hobbs Pleads not Guilty

Reconvenes 27-11-1918. Witnesses finish giving statements.

Hobbs does not give evidence or call witnesses.

Court finds Hobbs Not Guilty.

Paterson's preliminary statement accuses Hobbs as ringleader but in his sworn statement accuses the shorter of the troops.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Those loving passport control cells at Heathrow, man. Biggest 1984 moment i ever had

I got really spooked when one was trying to poke holes in my story until it happened again when I was coming back through France and realized this is just a game they play.