Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

eke out posted:

we've heard a lot about how Shards are uniquely vulnerable if they break agreements and how Honor isn't the shard of being good but the shard of Making Contracts -- my gut feeling is he broke his word in some way that weakened himself for a strike

Definitely very plausible, I may steal that idea to further theorycraft our ideas into one big one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Mistborn Shadows of Self Chapter 14-21 (2nd half of Part 2)

MeLaan continues to be really fun. She wants to scare Marasi's sexist coworkers She pranked Marasi's boss about his snoring, which he found some deeper meaning in. She does eat a guard, which gets a much more mild reaction than Vin gave OreSeur, though our gang didn't know this woman personally. I was briefly worried that Bleeder may have replaced her, after thinking back to her accent chat with Wayne, but I don't think there was an opportunity that would make sense.

Marasi has been somewhat sidelined in this book, despite being on the cover. She does seem to actually believe that Kelsier came back to life after Preservation died, which would be when TenSoon told everyone to go to ground. That is quite interesting, I figured Sazed would have given TenSoon some credit in his book. I'm very suspicious that Marasi was supposed to find the evidence of corruption, it seemed too easy.

Bleeder has been around for a while, she's pretty much confirmed that she was Bloody Tan when Wax killed him, and she was also the farmer who blew up the dam. that's an interesting M.O., take the form of someone, allow them to be killed, and move on. She intends on killing the governor, so I'm pretty suspicious that she's already replaced him, plans to have him killed in a situation under her control, and then let the city burn. Marasi's evidence could also point towards this. However, with Wayne realizing at the very end of this part that someone's accent was a clue, I think it may be the sanitation-director. Wayne didn't think his accent matched his education, and he was also downplaying the danger of the riots, to keep the governor from doing anything about it. If MeLaan has been OreSeured I'll be pissed.

I am still a little curious who Bleeder was talking to when she said "You know he's just another pawn". I think Sazed is most likely, but I have a weird crackpot theory that another Shard has found a way to influence Scadrial. I was also surprised when Wax finally came to the conclusion that Bleeder was working with his uncle's group, the Set. I thought it was fairly obvious they were working together.

Wax met TenSoon! I love it! He's even still in dog form, which is certainly a choice. I wonder if he likes the form, if it's a self imposed punishment, or if he thought it would be useful tonight specifically. Wax walking through all that history was kind of fun, from Kredik Shaw to the kandra prisons. I half expected the old Atium storage room to show up. TenSoon even talked about Vin. The Bands of Mourning got a mention too, right after Sazed's bands. I feel like they're the metalminds of some other Keeper? Tindwyl's? The Lord Ruler's?

TenSoon being so surprised that Wax talked to Bleeder is very interesting. I feel like that's a clue towards something. Maybe that the other kandra underestimated Bleeder, but I feel like it's more. I'm curious what the pages of blood would have spelled out, but that being a distraction makes sense. Also Bleeder made Hemalurgy muttations, I don't even know what ability would be on that spike to do that. Maybe the other Shard that I'm convinced is involved helped her make them? TenSoon and Wax also completed their tour by climbing out through the Pits of Hathsin. Maybe that lost metal will show up there in that book.

And finally, where the gently caress is Marsh? Could he not be bothered to help out, or is he doing something behind the scenes?

The broadsheets are fun, it sounds like some local Scadrialer found one of the pools that Hoid used on Elantris to zoop off-world, and someone had just used it to visit Scadrial. The description "piercing eyes, and a face like some otherworldly beast from one of those hideous pulp stories." isn't really enough to go off of, though the picture looks like a mask of some sort.

Words of Radiance spoilers: I've only seen one person with a mask, Iyatil who Shallan meets and sort of befriends? Of course it could be someone using a disguise like Shallan's illusions or whatever the gently caress Axies the Collector was doing to his face.

Part 3 is quite short, so I will be finishing this up tonight!

Progress so far:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

pik_d posted:

Mistborn Shadows of Self Chapter 14-21 (2nd half of Part 2)

Goddamnit. Shadows of Self is so loving good. I absolutely loved this portion of the book. I love seeing the things you picked up on vs what you haven't.

I think I like Shadows of Self so much because it, to me, has a different vibe than a lot of Brandon's other writing. But that's a topic for after this book is over.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
People from Scadrial are called Scadrians, btw.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Secret project 4 is out.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Just read the acknowledgements so far but I'm pumped to see that Moshe edited it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this book is basically a teaser for 1000 crazy things that are going to happen in future cosmere poo poo

also [near-term stormlight future spoilers from SP4]Sig being one of the leaders of the windrunners, that being some kind of failure, then bonding a Highspren significantly later? i think that might be fully poo poo happening in the second half of the stormlight books we're not getting till 2030 or whenever

eke out fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 1, 2023

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

eke out posted:

this book is basically a teaser for 1000 crazy things that are going to happen in future cosmere poo poo

also [near-term stormlight future spoilers from SP4]Sig being one of the leaders of the windrunners, that being some kind of failure, then bonding a Highspren significantly later? i think that might be fully poo poo happening in the second half of the stormlight books we're not getting till 2030 or whenever

Still SA4/5 and Secret Project 4 spoilers:I mean, he already was one of the leaders of the Windrunners. He was their spokesperson in Kaladin's absence. And since Kaladin will absence himself again to go to Shinovar with Szeth, he will probably reprise that role. This ending in disaster would be a plot twist worthy of the mid-series finale. I do wonder if it ties into the "The Night will reign, for the choice of Honor is life" deathrattle.

Sizgil struggling with the concept that a gay man in Aletkhar doesn't need to fill out several forms in order to start a relationship with another guy also feels quite Skybreaker-ish to me.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Still SA4/5 and Secret Project 4 spoilers:

more on the first partabout windrunners: he says that the Dawnshard he carried:

quote:

I carried that burden, found new bonds, but the weapon consumed important parts of me. Shredded the soul of one of my dearest friends. Stole my armor. I was left a husk of what I’d once been. Not just because of what the weapon had done to me—but because of the things I’d done.”

so seems like it somehow literally consumes investiture abilities -- possibly why Rysn was warned to under no circumstances bond a spren

other interesting things

quote:

I like change, Nomad. My kind were too static for too long, particularly we highspren. And sometimes the way you talk makes me think you believe, or can pretend, that you are an entirely different person now.

very excited to get to the parts where Highspren stop being Nale's weird little army

quote:

Two people, a man and a woman, stepped up to meet him. They wore small metal ornaments at the sides of their faces, triangular, with red enamel. These were TimeTellers, one faction among the many Scadrian political movements. Theoretically they were neutral in the current conflicts. A group of scientists, seeking to “understand the various mysteries of the cosmere.” And they were absolutely not, of course, an arm of the military working in secret to develop tech that would let Scadrial stay ahead in the increasingly dangerous arms race that currently consumed most of the developed planets.

“Rosharan,” the man said in his own tongue. “Can we speak in a civilized language, please? Do you speak Malwish?”

lol

eke out fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 1, 2023

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Mistborn Shadows of Self Chapter 22-26 (Part 3) & Epilogue

I was right about a few things, but I completely missed the biggest reveal. Holy poo poo that was tragic. Wax is going to be so completely mentally and religiously hosed up going forward, having killed Lessie again. I guess I never really questioned why Wax was so important to Bleeder. I suppose this does explain the prologue being about Lessie again, and the errant bullet that clearly missed the two of them. Hilariously, this means that Bloody Tan wasn't Bleeder afterall. I wonder what his place was in all of this? Was he a pawn of Bleeder? Harmony? Trell? I can make cases for all of them.

I suppose, in a sense, there's still some mystery over why Wax was so important to Sazed. Wax does have a lot going for him, twinborn, noble, descendant of Breeze, willing to still get his hands dirty protecting others. Maybe not such a mystery afterall. I don't think Wax will forgive Harmony for a long long time. The gut punch at the end when he gets another earring, Harmony still wants to use him.

I was also right about "another shard", with Trell and that spike, is it just Trellium? Thats actually really fun, but also in a terrifying way. It doesn't seem like it'll be friendly, if it's given Bleeder a way to escape Harmony's control. Are the Bands of Mourning also Trellium? Probably not but it's the next book and I'm just trying to make things fit. Also, what ability does Trellium give? Bleeder was able to use Hemalurgic spikes made of Trellium to steal Allomantic/Feruchemical powers, when before Hemalurgy used steel or tin or bronze to steal specific abilities. We need someone to become a mistborn so they can burn it. Please.

I was also right with my idea to just put another spike in Bleeder! I did catch on to that right before Bleeder did, to be fair, but I never considered it would be Wax's own earring. That was brilliant. Earrings are always Mistborn plot devices, I need to keep this in mind.

I feel like Marasi and the rest took a very distant back seat in this book. She, MeLaan, and Aradel work together to calm the crowd just enough to refocus them towards jailing the corrupt individuals, rather than killing them and burning the city to the ground. And noow Aradel's going to be governor, and Reddi will be her boss. Maybe he'll hate her less since he's getting his chance, or maybe his feelings will still carry over? Hell, maybe he'll die and Marasi will get his job.

I also feel bad for Steris, she's Wax's fiancee, and here he is closed off to the world in grief over killing his ex, who was supposedly dead already. She's also (I think?) on the cover of the next book. Can she be made into a Mistborn? Please?

And where the gently caress was Marsh?

Progress so far:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Yeah the secondary characters take a bit of a back seat in SoS but they sure do get their redemptions in the next two books, with most everybody being some of the most fleshed out characters in all of Sanderson’s novels, in my opinion.

The best part of era 2, to me, was how easily I could visualize the novels in my head, and I’m convinced it’d make an excellent HBO miniseries or something similar. They’re very fun books.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

eke out posted:

more on the first partabout windrunners: he says that the Dawnshard he carried:

so seems like it somehow literally consumes investiture abilities -- possibly why Rysn was warned to under no circumstances bond a spren

other interesting things

very excited to get to the parts where Highspren stop being Nale's weird little army

lol

I haven't had the time to read the book yet, I was going off the excerpt that was published a few months ago.

I think the danger to the user/user's spren is the lesser concern of the Sleepless in regards to the Dawnshard.

To best utilize any form of investiture, you need the right intent and correct commands. This holds true more for some forms of investiture than others, of course. But Vasher knew the command to let the little girl forget her kidnapping, which no one else seemed to know. Meaning he alone has access to this part of Awakening.

A Dawnshard will supercharge every form of investiture by enabling the wielder to issue perfect commands (in the sphere of the Dawnshard's intent, of course). That's why she's forbidden from binding any spren, because without access to a form of investiture, the Dawnshard is mostly harmless, at least to people who are not Rysn.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

pik_d posted:

Mistborn Shadows of Self Chapter 22-26 (Part 3) & Epilogue

I'm glad I wasn't the only one surprised at the ending. I figured it out all of about five seconds before Wax. The moment when he pulled the trigger, I had an "OH gently caress! gently caress!!!" moment. This moment alone is why I love the book so much. Brandon is not usually one to do a "everything is terrible. gently caress you. Be sad" ending. It caught me completely off guard.

And also, I feel like this is a great moment of characterization for Sazed/Harmony. I've heard of some people jumping straight into Era 2 without reading Era 1 and they must have much different feelings about Sazed. I feel like most of us coming from Era 1 are like "Oh hell yeah it's Sazed!" every time he is mentioned or appears. But this is is showing a bit more of a shrewd and calculating side to him. Era 1 occasionally touched on Vin being a pawn in the schemes of gods, but majority of the time it aligned with her own feelings and convictions. Wax has to deal with a god that is determining his life and, for lack of better description, has completely ruined it and caused and endless well of misery.

As for the secondary characters, I feel like this is the first "proper" era 2 book. In the way that some people describe The Way of Kings as the "prologue" to the Stormlight Archive, I feel like Alloy of Law is the "prologue" to Mistborn Era 2. Shadows of Self is firmly a Wax book. The other characters are there, but this is Wax's story for this book. The other characters will all have amazing times to shine across the next two books.

Louisgod posted:

The best part of era 2, to me, was how easily I could visualize the novels in my head, and I’m convinced it’d make an excellent HBO miniseries or something similar. They’re very fun books.

There is specifically a (comedic) scene in book 3 which felt like the most "this is a scene from a film/show" moment Sanderson has ever done.
(Minor Bands of Mourning spoilers) - When they arrive at the inn at New Seren and are completely erratic and sleep deprived and the inn owner walks in on them being complete loving lunatics in the inn room with all of their eccentricities on full display. This scene literally had me laughing out loud.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I'm still not completely comfortable with the ending of Hero of Ages. I feel like Elend and Vin deserved a little bit of "happily ever after" after the poo poo they went through, and I'm not exactly the biggest Spook fan so him being known as "The Lord Mistborn" was loving wild.

Elantris an Warbreaker both had much happier endings, though I think there will eventually be sequels to both which could ruin us all.

Harmony is definitely getting a bit of a side eye from me for now. I understand the position he's in but holy poo poo was that brutal. When MeLaan is arguing this at the end it feels like she's well aware that it's not gonna make things all better, because it can't. Sazed is a mortal being with flaws in control of god-like powers and vision. I'm very much looking forward to seeing his own journey alongside Wax's, given that he has to deal with this as well as Trell trying to destabilize things

Edit: I did a little bit of homework for the next book, based off what I could find in Era 1 and the first two books of era 2. There are some Elantris worldbuilding spoilers from Elantris, the Sel essay, and also The Way of Kings (Chapter 21 and 22 epigraphs specifically).

So the big thing about Trell is that he was the night starts rather than the sun, who was his brother Nalt. This imagery reminds me of a shard, and one shattered or splintered, like the shards of Sel were.

Sazed compliments the Nelazan for having a good religion. Gentle, yet powerful. So determined that they manually mapped the sky.

Later, as he's going through religions dismissing them all, he likes Trelagism because of its focus on learning and study and mathematics of the heavens. He dismisses it because it's vague about the afterlife, "almost whimsical". They taught men should discover truth for themselves, and routinely say "Ask Trell, and he will answer."

Miles Hundredlives was a Trell follower, but doesn't really say much about them until the end. When he's finally dying he says "One day, the men of gold and red, bearers of the final metal, will come to you. And you will be ruled by them." His last words were "Worship, worship Trell and wait..."

pik_d fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 1, 2023

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

pik_d posted:

Harmony is definitely getting a bit of a side eye from me for now. I understand the position he's in but holy poo poo was that brutal. When MeLaan is arguing this at the end it feels like she's well aware that it's not gonna make things all better, because it can't. Sazed is a mortal being with flaws in control of god-like powers and vision. I'm very much looking forward to seeing his own journey alongside Wax's, given that he has to deal with this as well as Trell trying to destabilize things

It's really interesting how (mistborn up thru Shadows of Self) Harmony isn't a perfect god, in fact none of the shards seem to have that kind of immediate omnipotence. Doing the best he can, by definition. Sazed can't wave his arms and undo civil unrest or Bleeder's plots but he can manipulate the world on larger scales to ensure someone like Wax exists in the right place and time. Far less total misery than if he did nothing.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Half of Dracula posted:

It's really interesting how (mistborn up thru Shadows of Self)

Far less total misery than if he did nothing.

And that's one of the aspects I really appreciate about Era 2 in that yeah, Harmony may be moving his pawns around to ensure far less total misery, but that may mean far more individual misery for the pawns.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

He says that, but Harmony is relying heavily on his future sight to determine if it's worth loving over people in the present to get results in the future, and we saw that the reaction he got from Lessie after horrible poo poo he did to her and Wax absolutely blindsided him. If he can't predict that, I think his whole Utilitarian Hard Men Making Hard Decisions philosophy isn't actually working in the long term. One thinks basic functional empathy would get you better results.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Shadows spoilers I think being half ruin makes him have to do X number of dick moves for every good thing he does.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

pik_d posted:

I'm still not completely comfortable with the ending of Hero of Ages. I feel like Elend and Vin deserved a little bit of "happily ever after" after the poo poo they went through, and I'm not exactly the biggest Spook fan so him being known as "The Lord Mistborn" was loving wild.

Hero of Ages Ending: I think giving Elend and Vin a happy ending is a nice bit of fan service, but the epic bit of fan service is in 20 years time during the big final Cosmere series, when all hope looks lost and then the Evanescence hits and Vin Steelpushes her way to the ring on a folding chair.

pik_d posted:

Harmony : Brandon is reportedly the annoying lore nerd of his church circle, so Harmony struggling with how to help people just enough between the tensions of abandoning them to destruction or freezing them in stasis is probably some of his own personal meditations/discussions on "Why does God allow bad things to happen".

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

socialsecurity posted:

Shadows spoilers I think being half ruin makes him have to do X number of dick moves for every good thing he does.

It's pretty heavily implied if not stated outright by Harmony himself that this is the case, in fact (post-Bands speculation) it's possible for multiple reasons that Ruin ever-so-slightly outweighs Preservation and that fighting this (or his shard's Intent to maintain Harmony) is immobilizing him, to the point people are speculating he might flip and become Discord

Based on information from Yumi and the Nightmare Painter and Tress of the Emerald Sea, Harmony seems to have released control of the Kandra and just goes by Sazed now, which fuels this speculation or possibly that Trell (as an avatar of Autonomy) got to him

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
If people who have read at least three Mistborn or Stormlight books haven’t yet figured out that ”no mortal is up for the job of being God, every single Shardholder is bad at it” is the central theme of the Cosmere, I don’t know what to tell you.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DarkHorse posted:

Based on information from Yumi and the Nightmare Painter and Tress of the Emerald Sea, Harmony seems to have released control of the Kandra and just goes by Sazed now, which fuels this speculation or possibly that Trell (as an avatar of Autonomy) got to him

who says that in those books? given it's Hoid narrating both and he has personal knowledge and is disinclined to treat anyone like a god i don't think i read anything into it, but i guess if it was the kandra doctor then perhaps him using the name is significant. i mostly interpreted it as Harmony's learning some lessons and stop trying to control them so much

anyways i remain firmly on team "sazed is going to learn that he needs to actively do some Ruin on purpose if he wants to protect his most special-est people and that's going to result in a lot of conflict." possibly just because i think it's the best plot if Saze is the one changing from power for all-too-human reasons, rather than rejecting it or it changing him in an uncontrollable way

eke out fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 2, 2023

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Secret Project 4 cover looks sick. I'll spoiler it since I guess these things are all behind triple secret clearance or smthn

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah all the secret project covers are top notch, way better than like the Stormlight covers.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
I thought Secret Project 4 was quite good. I was worried about how far in the future it was set and that the main character was someone we already knew. It's so far from the events of stormlight though that he really feels like a different person and there has been a lot of pain in his journey. I really liked how it was about sigzil rediscovering his connection to people and reframing that connection in a way that was much more personal and not about following a knights radiant order or something similar. To me this felt honestly like the first part in a redemption story about someone that is on a journey to discover greatness and finally live up to the ideal that he originally swore, although in a way different to what he originally though they were. Would love to read more in this story to be honest.

Highlights:
Sigzils whole journey or redemption
Auxiliary was great and the revelation that mostly killing him was a massive mistake and not from breaking his bonds.
Auxiliary giving the last of himself to save the people
The armour being changed by sigzils forged connection to the new world
All the new implications for the ghosts
Would really love to see some form of him bringing Aux back to life.. but don't think that's possible :(

Felt like a singular action sequence that started and didn't stop.

The art in the book is great when viewed in the PDF....

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Third day in a row posting, but the beginning and end parts are really short in these books, I finished part 1 in one go.

Mistborn Bands of Mourning Prologue & Chapters 1-4 (Part 1)

A prologue about a woman who's alive! Incredible! Shame about Forch going nuts though. The knives and the little boy don't seem like Hemalurgy, since Forch was just cutting him, but maybe? I wonder if that boy comes back into the story? Seems like the right age for Wayne, but Wax met him out in the Roughs so it's probably not him.

Shame about the wedding, but Wax still loves Lessie, and Marasi still has feelings for Wax. Poor Steris, she seems so hopeful of finding something real in all of this, given how nice Wax has been to her, relative to everyone else. Wayne definitely went overboard, he thinks he's helping Wax and Marasi, but it's like his kleptomania, he's acting fully on impulse without really considering what Wax and Marasi are telling him. It feels a little weird that he's just got a free pass on all this, especially if that free pass extends to paying some kids to destroy a water tower and a church.

VenDell sounds like a bit of a recluse. He's got no tact and doesn't want to go anywhere. I do love the lore dump on Investiture and Identity he gives though. The Identity explanation makes sense, manipulating who can use metalminds, but Investiture seems more complicated. I suppose you create unkeyed metalminds, someone pulls the Investiture out of one, then is able to do more things? I'm wondering if Marsh has Hemalurgic spikes for those abilities.

I am a little suspicious about how bad ReLuur is going to be. Paalm went years with just one spike, and still remembered things Bloody Tan said, and things she said as Lessie. TenSoon and the others were without both spikes for an hour and that caused memory loss, but Paalm went years. If it was the same for her she'd be an empty shell at that point. Also the mystery of what the Bands of Mourning are didn't last long, them being the Lord Ruler's metalminds wasn't that hard to figure out. I am curious why they have that name though, and why the Lord Ruler would make them in the first place. Maybe another potential way for humanity to fight Ruin if he was killed?

Very convenient of VenDell to "forget" about the last slide with Wax's sister Telsin until the right moment. They are fully on board with manipulating him to going with them. From asking Marasi (sorry Marasi, you're useful too but they want Wax), showing up at his wedding and then house, and finally to making it personal for Wax.

There was an entire chapter of Wayne being Wayne, I know Brandon thinks he's being funny (and to be fair the kids throwing meat buns at people was funny), but I think it went on for too long. And Wayne was out of order asking Ranette for a threesome. I feel like I'm supposed to either think Wayne is really funny, or problematic, and it worries me I'm not sure which one Brandon intends. He needs some consequences to make him realize what he's doing.

Progress so far:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

pik_d posted:

I feel like I'm supposed to either think Wayne is really funny, or problematic, and it worries me I'm not sure which one Brandon intends.

The answer is both.

Also - if you haven't picked up on it yet - Wayne and Sterris are both neurodivergent. It is never directly addressed in the text, but Wayne has ADHD and Sterris is autistic.

Wayne is a classic example of intensely hyperactive ADHD. Often speaking before thinking, completely oblivious to what society deems as "appropriate," and acting on impulse more than anything else.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Yeah that makes sense. Steris is the most obvious autistic character I've ever seen, I do really wonder where she ends up, especially with her being on the cover of this book, and having traveled with the gang down to New Seran. I desperately want her to go somewhere interesting rather than being the 5th wheel to the Wax/Wayne/Marasi/MeLaan hero gang.

Wayne comes off more as annoying, especially in his POVs. he feels like Brandon just wrote a "haha so random" character at times. He also doesn't seem to face any consequences ever, or absorb what people say to him about his actions. I get that in the era this is written, there would be absolutely no treatment or medication for him, but I just wonder exactly what Brandon thought he was adding to the story here.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Wayne and Sterris both have arcs!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

If Lightsong is the god of dad jokes, then Wayne could be one of his disciples. You may or may not find that funny. I usually do.

Doesn't stop Wayne from also being super problematic. In a way, he reminds me of Amos from The Expanse. Amos is a sociopath who knows he's a sociopath and recognizes all the trouble that has caused him, personally. His solution is to outsource his morality onto others; first Naomi, then Holden. He mostly just does what they say, no questions asked. It makes him a very fascinating character, in both the books and the show. The show, especially, has two Amos scenes that stand out; in one, he's not even present. "I am that guy" and "You have until my mechanic gets back..."

Wayne isn't immoral in the way Amos is, but he has likewise outsourced his deficiencies onto others, especially Wax.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

pik_d posted:

Yeah that makes sense. Steris is the most obvious autistic character I've ever seen, I do really wonder where she ends up, especially with her being on the cover of this book, and having traveled with the gang down to New Seran. I desperately want her to go somewhere interesting rather than being the 5th wheel to the Wax/Wayne/Marasi/MeLaan hero gang.

Wayne comes off more as annoying, especially in his POVs. he feels like Brandon just wrote a "haha so random" character at times. He also doesn't seem to face any consequences ever, or absorb what people say to him about his actions. I get that in the era this is written, there would be absolutely no treatment or medication for him, but I just wonder exactly what Brandon thought he was adding to the story here.

I will say, at the point you are at, I mostly felt the same about Wayne. I found him intensely obnoxious in Alloy of Law. I started warming up to him during Shadows of Self, but SoS is very much Wax's book and everyone else is on the back burner for it.

By the end of Era 2, Wayne was easily one of my top 5 Cosmere characters - and probably my favorite Era 2 character.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm actually super excited for pik_d to discover all the Wayne and Steris goodness. My favorite Steris scene is in this very book!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm actually super excited for pik_d to discover all the Wayne and Steris goodness. My favorite Steris scene is in this very book!
Mine too! I don't know what yours is, but mine is the set-up when she hands the hotel owner the absurdly large book of contigencies for the payoff of when they inevitably have to flee the hotel and Steris sticks her head out of the window to yell that this exact situation is covered, don't worry, and gives her the precise page and paragraph number for it.

Runner-up to the scene near the end of Lost Metal when she realizes that doing nothing but writing out action lists for every possible contingency can be valuable government work and nearly cries with joy.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

ConfusedUs posted:

Wishes/predictions as of Bands of Mourning Part 1: I know not everyone has to be metalborn but I really want her to get some powers, and I want a mistborn again, so I really want her to become a mistborn to fulfill both wishes.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CapnAndy posted:

Mine too! I don't know what yours is, but mine is the set-up when she hands the hotel owner the absurdly large book of contigencies for the payoff of when they inevitably have to flee the hotel and Steris sticks her head out of the window to yell that this exact situation is covered, don't worry, and gives her the precise page and paragraph number for it.

Runner-up to the scene near the end of Lost Metal when she realizes that doing nothing but writing out action lists for every possible contingency can be valuable government work and nearly cries with joy.

That's my first and second favorite as well!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Meanwhile my favorite Sterris line is (Lost Metal) "I'll throw up on this table! I did it before and I'll do it again!"

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I completely forgot to mention that Kelsier got listed as one of the individuals who "held the powers of ascension" which I guess means Preservation, so that sort of ties into the spoiler I saw a while back. I guess he was holding it for Vin?

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

pik_d posted:

I completely forgot to mention that Kelsier got listed as one of the individuals who "held the powers of ascension" which I guess means Preservation, so that sort of ties into the spoiler I saw a while back. I guess he was holding it for Vin?

Just keep reading ;)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Is Secret History really after Bands? It's been ages but it feels like that all happened much sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

socialsecurity posted:

Is Secret History really after Bands? It's been ages but it feels like that all happened much sooner.

Short version: Regardless of where in the Mistborn timeline Secret History occurs, and the answer is "yes, Secret History occurs well before Bands," the information from that novella would spoil some of the better events in Bands. So it's best read afterwards.